Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Shazam will probably have decent home release and streaming legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Man I just now realized that Stark’s line before he did the snap was a callback to the end of Iron Man in addition to just being a cool

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Adun posted:

Man I just now realized that Stark’s line before he did the snap was a callback to the end of Iron Man in addition to just being a cool

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

I still want to know what the hell that scene with Thor and Carol was about. We definitely heard 'I have telepathy'.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Adun posted:

It perfectly feeds into the meta-narrative of The Infinity Saga started with Iron Man, and it ends with Iron Man. Same for the hammer clanking as the credits fade out. It ends as it started.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

I'm honestly shocked they had Nebula kill her younger self. Having both iterations present going forward would have been a neat dynamic, allowing her to help herself much earlier than the current version found salvation.

They sort of do this in the new Mortal Kombat game with Scorpion meeting his younger self. Funny enough, MK11 and Endgame have some noticeable similarities in their plots.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

I still want to know what the hell that scene with Thor and Carol was about. We definitely heard 'I have telepathy'.

I won't spoil this since it's in the previews and doesn't really mean much.

But Thor staring down Carol and calling Stormbreaker to him, then Carol smirking at him was Thor's way of sizing her up and Carol's way of saying "Yeah I'm a badass". The fact Carol doesn't flinch when a big ol' axe comes flying right past her head and isn't intimidated leads Thor to saying that he likes her.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Codependent Poster posted:

I won't spoil this since it's in the previews and doesn't really mean much.

But Thor staring down Carol and calling Stormbreaker to him, then Carol smirking at him was Thor's way of sizing her up and Carol's way of saying "Yeah I'm a badass". The fact Carol doesn't flinch when a big ol' axe comes flying right past her head and isn't intimidated leads Thor to saying that he likes her.

Yes I know that. I was talking about the sound in the background that everyone, including me, thought sounded like someone talking

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

teagone posted:

Yeah, Shazam's struggling a bit :smith:

Shame, movie owns. But a sequel is in development at least. They have a screenwriter attached already.

At least it's not Hellboy with its 93% Friday to Friday drop.

X-O fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 27, 2019

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

X-O posted:

At least it's not Hellboy with its 93% Friday to Friday drop.

lol

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Man I feel bad for David harbour

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Same, he'll be alright though. Stranger Things is still cool and good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Until Netflix cancels it like everything else.

I'm sure Harbour will land on his feet, though.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Yes I know that. I was talking about the sound in the background that everyone, including me, thought sounded like someone talking

He said I Acquit before not shooting Gale and stabbing Shannon.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

"It's a lion!" That was totally Voltron.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
On another viewing, the voice definitely says 'yvan eht noij'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

"It's a lion!" That was totally Voltron.

I still wish that had been the case because Cloverfield's ending would have been way better if a giant robot lion suddenly appeared out of nowhere and cut the monster in half.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

:agreed:

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Do we think that Carol's role in the movie was kept small in case her movie tanked so they could minimize it even more? Or is this exactly what they always wanted?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Unmature posted:

Do we think that Carol's role in the movie was kept small in case her movie tanked so they could minimize it even more? Or is this exactly what they always wanted?

Doubt it. Marvel hasn't had a movie tank since . . . I can't even think of when. I think that Carol presents power level problems. Take that, plus the fact that Infinity War/Endgame were written and conceptualized well before her solo movie, I think that stuff is more likely. Ultimately the movie is about closing out the original 6, which I think is the biggest reason.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
It was probably more like because they planned this out like 3-4 years ago before they had any idea what she would be like or who was even playing her

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unmature posted:

I think it was kept small mostly because they wanted to focus on the original Avengers, which makes sense since aside from maybe Thor it feels like it's their sendoff film. I was surprising Nebula got as much focus as they did but I guess she was the excuse for Thanos 2.0: This Time He's Wearing Anti-Antman Armor

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unmature posted:

Captain Marvel had not been filmed yet when they did Endgame. I'm assuming they kept her role minimal because they didn't know what her character really was yet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Unmature posted:

Well, it didn't stop them from referencing Thor 2 regularly.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

On another viewing, the voice definitely says 'yvan eht noij'

Don't be ridiculous. It clearly says 'ecrof ria eht noij'

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

Well, it didn't stop them from referencing Thor 2 regularly.

Endgame was written by the writers of Thor 2, incredibly, and I suspect that's why it has a presence in this movie. I know they wrote all the Russo movies but I bet they're sour about that movie's reputation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hakkesshu posted:

Endgame was written by the writers of Thor 2, incredibly, and I suspect that's why it has a presence in this movie. I know they wrote all the Russo movies but I bet they're sour about that movie's reputation.

It was because:

teagone posted:

They wanted poignant reunions during the time heist for the big three: Stark sees his dad, Thor sees his mom, Cap sees his tight rear end Peggy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Captain Marvel is hard to fit into the plot of Endgame because she wasn't present in any of the time periods they were going to go to in the Time Heist. The only place she really could be put in is Morag, but I think her being around kinda undermines the suspense of Thanos knowing what is going on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am glad they made sure to spotlight America's rear end and everyone's love of it to assure that everyone's fanfiction is canon. They should have paused the battle after Thanos knocks over Cap to have him admire Cap's rear end and proclaim that he would snap that rear end.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

I am glad they made sure to spotlight America's rear end and everyone's love of it to assure that everyone's fanfiction is canon. They should have paused the battle after Thanos knocks over Cap to have him admire Cap's rear end and proclaim that he would snap that rear end.

Or use it strategically. In a callback to Thanos throwing the moon at our heroes in Infinity War, Thanos and his army are reduced to staring with jaws agape as Captain America moons them all.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There's a whole lot of stuff that kind of happened in between scenes, and I hope some of the Disney + shows go in and fill in some of the blanks.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I never would have guessed that Nebula would become one of my favorite characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mikeraskol posted:

Doubt it. Marvel hasn't had a movie tank since . . . I can't even think of when. I think that Carol presents power level problems. Take that, plus the fact that Infinity War/Endgame were written and conceptualized well before her solo movie, I think that stuff is more likely. Ultimately the movie is about closing out the original 6, which I think is the biggest reason.

I agree that Carol's main issue is her power level. About the only thing in any part of the time heist that wouldn't have ended in "Carol body slams a battleship with her face" - which seems to be MCU Carol's signature move judging by this and CM - is Vormir, and the only characters she was likely connected to enough for that were Maria and Monica (not mentioned at all, not even listed as Snapped or not), maybe Fury (Snapped). Possibly the Ancient One, but Carol might be strong enough to resist that. The only thing in either movie featuring her clearly capable of knocking Carol on her rear end is taking the Power Stone directly to the face, and even that doesn't seem to do more than slow her down.

Between CM and the pixie cut in Endgame, I really hope they're going with gay as hell Captain Marvel.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Got back a little while ago and I have to say that was about as good of a wrap-up to 11 years of movies as you can really hope for. Somehow they managed to pull it off. I was also satisfied with how they gave fitting endings to most of the characters.

Just going to post some random thoughts since most things have already been covered

-I found it a bit weird that they had the young Gamora flashback in IW and that never paid off for anything. I think the Russos even said that Gamora's soul was trapped in the stone or whatever, but it seemed like that was setting up a plotline for Endgame. So instead original Gamora is completely dead and the Gamora from the beginning of GOTG1 is now on the run somewhere. I am definitely looking forward to Asgardians of the Galaxy since I loved the GotG/Thor stuff in IW a lot.
-Was a little surprised that Vision was completely absent from the entire movie. It did seem like maybe he would be resurrected somehow post-snap without the Mind Stone, but he's barely even referenced.
-Like a lot of others I was surprised how little Carol there was in the movie but in thinking about it more, she couldn't have really been around for the time travel stuff anyway since she wasn't involved in those events.
-I was going to say they really short-changed Falcon until the end when we finally got Falcon-Cap. Made sense over Bucky, who just seems too damaged of a person to pull off being a replacement for Steve going forward.
-The only plot thing that legit surprised me was Black Widow being perma-dead. I thought even until the last scene with Cap going to return the Stones that somehow she would appear in his place or something, but no. I think this was my favorite Black Widow appearance since Winter Soldier.
-For a moment I thought we might get Nebula with the Gauntlet like in the original comic, but they didn't go in that direction
-Tony sacrificing himself at the end feels like a fitting end to his character since he started the entire franchise. I really liked the stuff with him and his dad in the 1970s.
-It was a little weird that they got so many people back but somehow no Anthony Hopkins cameo. I did not expect to see Robert Redford since he retired from acting recently, but he did briefly show up.
-Highlight moments for me were the elevator scene direct callback to Winter Soldier, Cap finally wielding Mjolnir, and of course 'Avengers Assemble', which they kept teasing again and again in previous films.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I agree that Carol's main issue is her power level. About the only thing in any part of the time heist that wouldn't have ended in "Carol body slams a battleship with her face" - which seems to be MCU Carol's signature move judging by this and CM - is Vormir, and the only characters she was likely connected to enough for that were Maria and Monica (not mentioned at all, not even listed as Snapped or not), maybe Fury (Snapped). Possibly the Ancient One, but Carol might be strong enough to resist that. The only thing in either movie featuring her clearly capable of knocking Carol on her rear end is taking the Power Stone directly to the face, and even that doesn't seem to do more than slow her down.

Between CM and the pixie cut in Endgame, I really hope they're going with gay as hell Captain Marvel.

Yeah Carol getting punched by the power stone only knocked her down for a moment. It affects her less than a regular Thanos punch does to Thor.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah Carol getting punched by the power stone only knocked her down for a moment. It affects her less than a regular Thanos punch does to Thor.

No, that was when he threw her down right before he put on the Gauntlet. When he punched her with the Power Stone she flew so far away we never even see her land.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Anyone else have an usher come in after the end to say there was no credits scene? Apparently this is a common thing because a lot of chains aren't leaving enough time to clean the theater between showings unless people leave right away.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this! posted:

Anyone else have an usher come in after the end to say there was no credits scene? Apparently this is a common thing because a lot of chains aren't leaving enough time to clean the theater between showings unless people leave right away.

They didn't, but maybe they should have because they didn't let us into the theater until ten minutes before the previews started in my theater.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My theatre last night was definitely not cleaned before our screening but we didn't get any notice about credits. It seems like bad service to tell people about the credits because it's a thinly-veiled GTFO. Sometimes people want to sit through credits of a movie regardless of bonus scenes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I heard someone else walking by my seat saying that. I had read prior to seeing the movie that there was no end-credits thing. I figured as much since they have been keeping what they are going to do post-Endgame under wraps and the movie had like 20 minutes of wrap-up anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

We had an usher at the entrance telling everyone that when they went in.

People still stayed until the very end