Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

Devs: *Lovingly hand animates hundreds of unique and creative characters and enemies*
Goons: "Heh, what garbage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Riddled Corpses EX is cool

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kobogartimer posted:

Devs: *Lovingly hand animates hundreds of unique and creative characters and enemies*

:yeah:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
that google images picture is the dumbest loving "argument" of all time

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Kobogartimer posted:

Devs: *works a guy to death making sure the fabric on a banner in the background looks perfect even though no one will notice it*

ftfy

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kobogartimer posted:

*Literally anything*

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Hollow Knight looks good as poo poo. Even if the gameplay is hit or miss, the artwork is top notch. If every screen shot looks like dark muted blues & greens, it's because they're supposed to. Surprise fucker!!!!!

In-game you can tell every area apart. They're very distinct. You'll know if you're in Deepnest or Greenpath or Fungal Wastes or City of Tears. It's all stylish as hell

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Your Computer posted:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Sudden Javelin posted:

In-game you can tell every area apart. They're very distinct.

I actually had a lot of trouble with this.

Hollow Knight is gorgeous and the art is great but I find everything so same-y and dreary that I get nothing out of exploring, which is the main appeal of Metroidvanias for me, so I bounced off it pretty hard. Still recommend it to people because I can tell it's a good game and most people clearly connect with it, but it leaves me cold.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Your Computer posted:

Nah, the game looks awful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"That game looks absolutely awful"

*Plays ugly 360 game from 10 years ago that was just ported to switch*

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cojawfee posted:

"That game looks absolutely awful"

*Plays ugly 360 game from 10 years ago that was just ported to switch*

Kick that straw mans rear end

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Justin_Brett posted:

I assume the answer's yes but does Steamworld Quest keep up the series' standard of quality?

I just got it today but so far so good. Art and humor are on point as always.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I don’t understand what the hell just happened in here. I hit a wall in Hollow Knight a few months ago and haven’t picked it up since, but good lord, the game’s setting and graphics are amazing you asses. You absolute dogshits.

Anyways, please add my friend code for Iggy Pop the Fighter in DD. Thank you.

3481-6936-4989

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I don’t understand what the hell just happened in here. I hit a wall in Hollow Knight a few months ago and haven’t picked it up since, but good lord, the game’s setting and graphics are amazing you asses. You absolute dogshits.

This was my experience as well.

I loved everything but my time is somewhat limited so losing everything at certain points was too much for me.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

hadji murad posted:

This was my experience as well.

I loved everything but my time is somewhat limited so losing everything at certain points was too much for me.

All you lose is money and you run out of things to buy long before the game is done. If you were enjoying it I'd give it another shot, that factor is pretty inconsequential overall.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
People who think Hollow Knight looks bad have extremely poor taste and deserve pity, not scorn.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

PantsBandit posted:

People who think Hollow Knight looks bad have extremely poor taste and deserve pity, not scorn.

They deserve scornful pity, like compulsive liars.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I just figured out how to attach the pinwheel to the bird LABO, I can shoot puffs of air to direct birds to gather food, but I momentarily enabled the bird to have propellers- not sure how I did it and I can't seem to find a way to re-enable that mode.
Anyone know what I'm talking about?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I finally beat the Dragon boss in SW: Quest. As always, I just needed to complete the "bitch about it on the internet" step first.

I'm still not a fan of bosses that can potentially incapacitate your whole party for multiple turns. I'm not entirely sure on the details of the roar card. Seemed like it was 100% chance of a debuff, with a small % chance of stun.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Woah, me too. I didn't end up grinding, I just made a party of all healers and beat their faces against the enemies til they died

Fair warning, the next area has a boss that does the same thing to you

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Your Computer posted:

What's strange is that search only shows like the first area, and manages to not include any images of how it looks after a particular story event.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Kvlt! posted:

If I've never played a musou game before should I start with the Berserk one or FEW?

Start with Earth Defense Force

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Kvlt! posted:

If I've never played a musou game before should I start with the Berserk one or FEW?

DW8XL.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
I have only played Hyrule Warriors and FEW. FEW has better systems, I think, and I like all of them, even Pegasi, but Hyrule Warriors has a ton of really inventive characters, and only a few of them aren't fun.

I don't think people who like these games think much of Berserk.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Chronojam posted:

What's strange is that search only shows like the first area, and manages to not include any images of how it looks after a particular story event.
That's the entire game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oscar Wild posted:

Start with Earth Defense Force

Is this a meme made to troll edf fans? I keep seeing it but theres nothing in common between musou and edf in their gameplay except many enemies on screen.

Musou has like a map with strategy and objectives. Edf has KILL EVERYTHING. The latter is obviously superior in its simplicity.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Hoping that Copernica's hat shows up in SteamWorld Heist at some point. That hat! Must have it for Piper.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Will someone give a quick rundown of FF XII? I've only really completed 6,7, and 8 and have played a fair amount of the newer online one. I know that's it's really different than the old ones but if I enjoyed what I played of the MMO will I like this one?

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
It seems pretty likely that you'll be into it, as the major criticism was that it had too much MMO in its game design.

Combats are mostly auto, and you kit out characters with the behaviors you want them to exhibit in potentially fairly complicated ways.

The story spends a lot of time early on some boring/annoying viewpoint-type characters, which is also a big turn-off for some.

I think the systems are pretty interesting and on the whole it's probably an above-average FF story for me.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

loudog999 posted:

Will someone give a quick rundown of FF XII? I've only really completed 6,7, and 8 and have played a fair amount of the newer online one. I know that's it's really different than the old ones but if I enjoyed what I played of the MMO will I like this one?

FFXII has been my favorite FF since I played it on PS2, but I've always felt I was in the minority there. Did you play the first Xenoblade? It feels kind of like that -- a 'single-player MMO' with an automated battle system -- so if you liked Xenoblade it might be right up your alley.

I mostly liked it because I love Ivalice.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I finished Blaster Master Zero 2 and it was a delightful game. Good platforming and the overhead sections took a lot more skill than the previous game. I especially liked the end which was more like a clever puzzle to get through, really a nice cap to the game.

If any of you guys like shooting platformers take a look at the series.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

loudog999 posted:

FF12 is really weird in a lot of ways. The combat isn't really like FF14; rather, I'd say it's more like FF4-9 but with simple AI scripts you can write. The structure, however, does feel a bit more like an MMO. I'd actually say it's like some weird combination of a Dragon Quest game and an MMO, especially in two ways:

First, after a certain point (once you have all six party members), the game just starts telling you to go to some place halfway across the world and it's up to you if you want to explore the ten million side paths (obvious and not) on the way.

Two, you'll never have enough money. This was true in the original, and it's even worse in all the versions thereafter: not only are there a million more Gambit triggers (the aforementioned AI scripts) and they're all available from the start, but also the Zodiac Job system soft encourages you to use and outfit six party members, not just three.

But you wanted to know if you'd like it. So, in no particular order, here are the Five Biggest Things To Know About Final Fantasy 12. If none of these sound like major issues to you, you'll likely enjoy FF12.

1) It has a very different story pace and feel than other FF games; the obvious exception being Tactics. If you loved the FFT story (and I don't just mean understand it but actively love it) you'll be highly likely to enjoy FF12's, as there's many of the same themes but you've got an actual cast of characters on the player's end.

2) The primary viewpoint character is the second least important character in the overall story, tied with bunny-girl Chewbacca. He's fine enough but "inoffensive" is at the higher end of what one can say about Vaan. What makes things worse is that...

3) ...the three actually important characters (Ashe, Basch, and Balthier) are all geniunely well written and interesting characters and so the start of the story can be a real drag when you're stuck with Vaan and Penelo and their relatively less compelling narratives.

4) A well composed set of Gambits can handle most every situation for you, which has led to complaints of "the game playing itself". I'm personally of the opinion that this just tilts the gameplay burden from mindless rote execution (cast Fire on fire weak enemies, heal when low, etc.) to broader level strategic planning (which licenses do I get, what do I equip people with, who do I put into this fight and when) as well as making you have to consider when to break from your planned Gambit script, but nevertheless: if you feel there's a significant and meaningful difference between putting a line in a script for a character to cast Cure when someone is under 50% HP and manually casting Cure when someone is under 50% HP, then you're going to have a bad time.

5) The voices were recorded in a cramped submarine off the coast of Alaska during a blizzard. More seriously, the compression done to have the game's (very extensive and well acted) dialogue fit on a PS2 disc can sound pretty bad at times, and they either didn't have the source recordings anymore or had decided to do the initial recordings on an old Soundblaster that was on fire most of the time. It's really not that bad, overall, but some of the worst cases come from, say, soldiers decked out in full armor where the compression combined with the "I'm in a suit of armor" effect multiplies into something really grating, and there's a lot more of that early on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hollow Knight sucks and I played it just long enough on Steam to gently caress myself out of the refund so the real hollow thing here is my wallet

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yeah Hollow Knight blows. Wish I bought Dead Cells instead.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Trasson posted:

FF12 is really weird in a lot of ways. The combat isn't really like FF14; rather, I'd say it's more like FF4-9 but with simple AI scripts you can write. The structure, however, does feel a bit more like an MMO. I'd actually say it's like some weird combination of a Dragon Quest game and an MMO, especially in two ways:

First, after a certain point (once you have all six party members), the game just starts telling you to go to some place halfway across the world and it's up to you if you want to explore the ten million side paths (obvious and not) on the way.

Two, you'll never have enough money. This was true in the original, and it's even worse in all the versions thereafter: not only are there a million more Gambit triggers (the aforementioned AI scripts) and they're all available from the start, but also the Zodiac Job system soft encourages you to use and outfit six party members, not just three.

But you wanted to know if you'd like it. So, in no particular order, here are the Five Biggest Things To Know About Final Fantasy 12. If none of these sound like major issues to you, you'll likely enjoy FF12.

1) It has a very different story pace and feel than other FF games; the obvious exception being Tactics. If you loved the FFT story (and I don't just mean understand it but actively love it) you'll be highly likely to enjoy FF12's, as there's many of the same themes but you've got an actual cast of characters on the player's end.

2) The primary viewpoint character is the second least important character in the overall story, tied with bunny-girl Chewbacca. He's fine enough but "inoffensive" is at the higher end of what one can say about Vaan. What makes things worse is that...

3) ...the three actually important characters (Ashe, Basch, and Balthier) are all geniunely well written and interesting characters and so the start of the story can be a real drag when you're stuck with Vaan and Penelo and their relatively less compelling narratives.

4) A well composed set of Gambits can handle most every situation for you, which has led to complaints of "the game playing itself". I'm personally of the opinion that this just tilts the gameplay burden from mindless rote execution (cast Fire on fire weak enemies, heal when low, etc.) to broader level strategic planning (which licenses do I get, what do I equip people with, who do I put into this fight and when) as well as making you have to consider when to break from your planned Gambit script, but nevertheless: if you feel there's a significant and meaningful difference between putting a line in a script for a character to cast Cure when someone is under 50% HP and manually casting Cure when someone is under 50% HP, then you're going to have a bad time.

5) The voices were recorded in a cramped submarine off the coast of Alaska during a blizzard. More seriously, the compression done to have the game's (very extensive and well acted) dialogue fit on a PS2 disc can sound pretty bad at times, and they either didn't have the source recordings anymore or had decided to do the initial recordings on an old Soundblaster that was on fire most of the time. It's really not that bad, overall, but some of the worst cases come from, say, soldiers decked out in full armor where the compression combined with the "I'm in a suit of armor" effect multiplies into something really grating, and there's a lot more of that early on.

None of these sound like deal breakers, and some, especially 4, sound like exactly my jam. Im going to do it, Im going to buy another Final Fantasy. The lovely thing is that I know its going to put Dragons Dogma on the back burning and I may never play it again. Thanks for all of the input from everyone

Edit: I just preordered it.. my wife should really take away my debit card

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 28, 2019

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Disposable Scud posted:

Yeah Hollow Knight blows. Wish I bought Dead Cells instead.

RBA Starblade posted:

Hollow Knight sucks and I played it just long enough on Steam to gently caress myself out of the refund so the real hollow thing here is my wallet
what the gently caress are you guys talking about

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Is this a meme made to troll edf fans? I keep seeing it but theres nothing in common between musou and edf in their gameplay except many enemies on screen.

Musou has like a map with strategy and objectives. Edf has KILL EVERYTHING. The latter is obviously superior in its simplicity.

I wouldn't say EDF doesn't have strategy though. At higher difficulties you need to coordinate and come up with a plan

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sing me up on the "Dead Cells is far better than Hollow Knight" train. I found Hollow Knight to be a tad tedious and the gameplay quite lacking, with poor progression for a Metroidvania. The art style is actually the one thing I'd say works very well in its favor. Overall, I think it's a game goons massively overhyped.

Now Dead Cells, that is a game that deserves its praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dead Cells is a lot of fun.