Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Ah, I see the problem now.

Bad guy Google requires IOS11 for their apps now. What you have to do it get another device and "buy" the app on your account.
Then on your iPad when you try to download it, it will offer to download the old version that does work on IOS9.

Edit: nope, that doesn't seem to be required anymore. I just tried to "get" google drive, which I do not have on my AppleID, and it let me do it.
This is despite the app store page saying that it needs IOS11.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

~Coxy posted:

What model iPad is it?

If it's like an iPad2 I would junk it.
If it's an iPad Air1 it's probably the oldest model still worth using.
If it's an iPad Air2 or newer then it will do OK on IOS12.

My phone is on 9.3 and all the google apps work fine.

I have an iPad 4 kicking around that's a perfectly serviceable video streaming client and has all the Google apps. Browsing is very unpleasant at this point too, so nobody uses it for that. The screen on it is fine too, same res as modern ones.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Betazoid posted:

Thanks, all! Any way to get old apps on them would be appreciated! I may just get a new tablet, but I'd rather see if this could work for my needs first.

~Coxy posted:

Ah, I see the problem now.

Bad guy Google requires IOS11 for their apps now. What you have to do it get another device and "buy" the app on your account.
Then on your iPad when you try to download it, it will offer to download the old version that does work on IOS9.

Edit: nope, that doesn't seem to be required anymore. I just tried to "get" google drive, which I do not have on my AppleID, and it let me do it.
This is despite the app store page saying that it needs IOS11.

Yep, you just attempt to download the current version and it offers the old one. There's nothing you really need to do.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Betazoid posted:

Thanks, all! Any way to get old apps on them would be appreciated! I may just get a new tablet, but I'd rather see if this could work for my needs first.

Theoretically, if you've already downloaded or purchased the app, then the App store should allow you to download an old version. Downloading it from the same Apple ID on a newer device might be enough to let that go through.

If not, you'd probably be looking at jailbreaking it and pirating the apps.

I've got an old iPad 1 in the closet here at work, I can give it a shot and see if I can download anything with my Apple ID.

[edit] Tested on an iPad 2 that I dug up. Youtube prompted me to download an older app, Netflix said it wasn't compatible. So it looks like it's a combination of "have the app in your history" and "app developer makes old version available." Presumably Netflix doesn't due to DRM or something.

So I guess you may have to go with pirated versions to be able to get them. Looks like 9.3.5 should be an easy jailbreak, but I have no idea where you'd find a repo that still has those old apps available.

TVs Ian fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 27, 2019

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Last Chance posted:

Yep, you just attempt to download the current version and it offers the old one. There's nothing you really need to do.

Not every developer offers this so it's going to be hit or miss.

If you're going to be spending any appreciable time using it your sanity is worth a plain jane iPad or new iPad Air.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I feel like this is an incredibly stupid question but it’s safe to use glass cleaner on the iPad screen right?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like this is an incredibly stupid question but it’s safe to use glass cleaner on the iPad screen right?

I’d stay away from household glass cleaners with ammonia just because I don’t know how the oleophobic coating would like it.

If you’re already going to buy anammonia-free cleaner, just buy one for electronics.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

eddiewalker posted:

I’d stay away from household glass cleaners with ammonia just because I don’t know how the oleophobic coating would like it.

If you’re already going to buy anammonia-free cleaner, just buy one for electronics.

Ah ok yeah that’s kinda what I was thinking!

Thanks!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Also spray onto a non scratching/no lint cloth and not onto the glass directly, keeps it from running into a seam etc.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

XBenedict posted:

Have you checked Settings>General>Keyboard?

I just found out that I've had it all this time, but it is evidently turned off by default.

Deffo not there on the 2018 pro which is why I returned mine

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Any recommendations for a longer USB-C cable which will charge the Pros at full speed? Was going to get an Anker braided one on sale but reviews say it can't pull full power. The Apple cable is criminally short.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Which is crap because the one my pro 10.5 came with was super long.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Cozmosis posted:

Any recommendations for a longer USB-C cable which will charge the Pros at full speed? Was going to get an Anker braided one on sale but reviews say it can't pull full power. The Apple cable is criminally short.

I have an Anker Cable that I have used with an Anker 30 watt charger and it worked fine. It's a charger cable though so it only has USB 2.0 speed.
Anker 6ft USB-C cable

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

serebralassazin posted:

I have an Anker Cable that I have used with an Anker 30 watt charger and it worked fine. It's a charger cable though so it only has USB 2.0 speed.
Anker 6ft USB-C cable

Personally, I use this one by Anker. It’s basically the braided sheath version. Can’t stand plastic coated cables.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LNA0XCU/

This one works fine to charge my iPad Pro.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Yea that's a nicer cable. The one I linked to was on sale the other day for $8 I think so that's why I bought it. The power line ones are nice though I believe I have two micro USB power line cables and they're pretty good. They actually stay in the port even.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I have had no problems with this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GGKZ4NU/

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
this thread seems convenient. Hi! so, since I'm about to go to college after summer...which Ipad do you recommend for a intermediate artist like me? I like drawing alot and I heard good things about ProCreate...but I'm freaking confused with which models are compatible with the apple pencil 2 and 1 (and a lot of them are expensive as heck).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fruity20 posted:

this thread seems convenient. Hi! so, since I'm about to go to college after summer...which Ipad do you recommend for a intermediate artist like me? I like drawing alot and I heard good things about ProCreate...but I'm freaking confused with which models are compatible with the apple pencil 2 and 1 (and a lot of them are expensive as heck).

What are you majoring in? The only iPad that works with the Pencil 2 are the newest iPad Pros (11” and 12.9”). They’re really expensive. If money is no object, then they’re obviously the best ones. They’re likely the most responsive and the Pencil 2 has newer features.

If money is a question, all others use the Pencil 1. The new iPad Air is a great option and has the latest professor. The prior iPad Pro 10.5 I would also look at because it has the 120 refresh rate (like the other Pros, double the normal iPads), and people here say it helps with Pencil responsiveness.

So yeah, question is how intense of a drawing experience you need.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Fruity20 posted:

I'd personally go for a prior generation's 12.9 with the Apple Pencil because that extra real estate is so good. That will cost you about $900 out the door sooooo...

You can get a 10.5 Pro (prior gen) off Apple's refurb store for about $500. With Pencil that brings you to $600 all in.

A regular iPad with Pencil is probably about $450. All are super good options for what you're looking at. It's just degrees of super good at this stage.

And Procreate is the greatest drawing program I have ever used on a desktop or tablet. I used to use Art Rage 4 on a Wacom tablet, but I've switched 100% to the iPad. Clip Studio also gets good reviews and that is essentially a desktop application on your iPad. But it's subscription based.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Duckman2008 posted:

What are you majoring in? The only iPad that works with the Pencil 2 are the newest iPad Pros (11” and 12.9”). They’re really expensive. If money is no object, then they’re obviously the best ones. They’re likely the most responsive and the Pencil 2 has newer features.

If money is a question, all others use the Pencil 1. The new iPad Air is a great option and has the latest professor. The prior iPad Pro 10.5 I would also look at because it has the 120 refresh rate (like the other Pros, double the normal iPads), and people here say it helps with Pencil responsiveness.

So yeah, question is how intense of a drawing experience you need.

i'm self-taught in art...and the college i'm going to has computers in the arts and studio art....soooo.

honestly, i don't draw often. like maybe once or twice every week depending mood.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fruity20 posted:

i'm self-taught in art...and the college i'm going to has computers in the arts and studio art....soooo.

honestly, i don't draw often. like maybe once or twice every week depending mood.

Cost-benefit wise, the new Air and Mini will give you a laminated display which the regular 2018 iPad doesn’t have. But you can also get the regular 2018 iPad for like $250 on sale in some places. All three will work with the Gen 1 Pencil.

I’d say- 2019 Air if you want best display/size
2019 Mini is identical to the Air except small
2018 iPad if you don’t think the gains are worth it/want a bigger device than the Mini for the same amount or less.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 2, 2019

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Cost-benefit wise, the new Air and Mini will give you a laminated display which the regular 2018 iPad doesn’t have. But you can also get the regular 2018 iPad for like $250 on sale in some places. All three will work with the Gen 1 Pencil.

I’d say- 2019 Air if you want best display/size
2019 Mini is identical to the Air except small
2018 iPad if you don’t think the gains are worth it/want a bigger device than the Mini for the same amount or less.

okay then. is their any models that allow for spaces larger than 64gb?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

MarcusSA posted:

Use water. Anything with a solvent has a decent chance of damaging/removing your oleophobic coating. I thought the coating was gone from my 1st gen iPad Pro so I used a lens/tech wipe with isopropyl alcohol on it. Now my coating is really gone and fingerprints are much worse than before I used it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fruity20 posted:

All of them. Regular up to 128 GB, Air and Mini up to 256 GB, Pro up to 1 TB.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

fordan posted:

Use water. Anything with a solvent has a decent chance of damaging/removing your oleophobic coating. I thought the coating was gone from my 1st gen iPad Pro so I used a lens/tech wipe with isopropyl alcohol on it. Now my coating is really gone and fingerprints are much worse than before I used it.

I've had good luck just using a microfiber cloth with nothing else.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Fruity20 posted:

Uhh yeah like go to the Internet bro.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

this is the internet

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Last Chance posted:

this is the internet

What a disappointment.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Just bought a new iPad for $250 off Amazon. My first in like eight years. What's the best inexpensive case? I'm going to mostly be using this on gigs (I'm a musician) and I'm totally overwhelmed by the number of cases out there, and I'm unsure about compatibility too. Any guidance? Thanks!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Otis Reddit posted:

Just bought a new iPad for $250 off Amazon. My first in like eight years. What's the best inexpensive case? I'm going to mostly be using this on gigs (I'm a musician) and I'm totally overwhelmed by the number of cases out there, and I'm unsure about compatibility too. Any guidance? Thanks!

Uh honestly? I’d look into an otterbox one take off the stupid screen protector and it will be a good case.

Reason I suggest this is because you’d probably want a bit more protection vs someone that’s using it at home or taking it on trips.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Otis Reddit posted:

What’s your budget? How much would you want to spend? Do you want to keep the iPad nude when you use it or do you want a shell case of some sort?

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I'm hoping $20 or less if there are any decent ones in that range, and I'm not against keeping the case on it 100% of the time.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Otis Reddit posted:

I'm hoping $20 or less if there are any decent ones in that range, and I'm not against keeping the case on it 100% of the time.

Amazon has like 100 of them with thousands of reviews. Some hold an Apple Pencil and some do not.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Cool. With all the review-spoofing lately with cheap electronics and accessories, I was maybe being overly cautious. I'm looking at these two primarily if anybody has experience:

https://www.amazon.com/Supcase-Unic...=gateway&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BY38KY/ref=psdc_3012929011_t2_B06XWXTBFJ

No need to hold an Apple Pencil, at least not for the foreseeable future.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Otis Reddit posted:

Cool. With all the review-spoofing lately with cheap electronics and accessories, I was maybe being overly cautious. I'm looking at these two primarily if anybody has experience:

https://www.amazon.com/Supcase-Unic...=gateway&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072BY38KY/ref=psdc_3012929011_t2_B06XWXTBFJ

No need to hold an Apple Pencil, at least not for the foreseeable future.

I’ve had the first brand before and it worked fine.

I think either of those will be good for your needs and give you plenty of protection.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I had a Moko ipad case for a short bit very similar to the one you linked and I absolutely hated it but honestly for your use case I think it's probably really good. Moko also has good customer support and their cases in general are good. My wife is using a Moko case on her Galaxy Tab S3, and I have a Moko case on my Kindle Oasis. They're a good brand, in my opinion.

But again, I can't vouch for that specific case. It just will probably be really good for your particular needs I think.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone ever tried re-applying the oleophobic coating onto an iPad Pro and will it ruin the texture of writing with the Pencil?

There's some tiny scratches which I think might just be in the coating and not in the screen, plus it just gets a bit mucky looking really quickly now, especially if I'm playing games or typing a lot on it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anyone ever tried re-applying the oleophobic coating onto an iPad Pro and will it ruin the texture of writing with the Pencil?

There's some tiny scratches which I think might just be in the coating and not in the screen, plus it just gets a bit mucky looking really quickly now, especially if I'm playing games or typing a lot on it.

You might just want to consider a tempered glass screen protector. A decent one will usually hide the scratches and have the same feel as the original screen, but the cheap ones usually don't have a coating.

Or, use a matte glass screen protector and it'll feel like paper when you're using the pencil on it.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
I had forgotten how bad the oleophobic coating was on recent iPad generations until I got the 2018 pro. Had been using a tempered glass on the basic iPad model, and gently caress me it’s just a mess of smearing and fingerprints.

I miss my screen protector for this reason only. Do any work on the pros? I’ve heard all the tempered glass ones have issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

TVs Ian posted:

You might just want to consider a tempered glass screen protector. A decent one will usually hide the scratches and have the same feel as the original screen, but the cheap ones usually don't have a coating.

Or, use a matte glass screen protector and it'll feel like paper when you're using the pencil on it.
What kind of price range are the decent ones? I’m always kinda reluctant about screen protectors since I assume they leave a mess if you ever want to remove them which is why I was hoping to go down the coating route.