Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
The post got removed but there was an update, but yeah she's not a nurse, she's apparently some sort of technician at a completely different hospital. She failed nursing school, and went on a rant about how she was a genius, and can perform surgeries, and could be a doctor if she wanted to, called herself a healer, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

ad090 posted:

The post got removed but there was an update, but yeah she's not a nurse, she's apparently some sort of technician at a completely different hospital. She failed nursing school, and went on a rant about how she was a genius, and can perform surgeries, and could be a doctor if she wanted to, called herself a healer, etc.

Man reddit sucks (duh)

Why did it get removed? That’s hilarious.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I can't speak for every hospital system but all the ones I'm familiar with require employees to wear ID badges with face pictures and will normally include job positions. I'd be shocked if any didn't.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

JFC just go into the hospital when she’s supposed to be working and bring her flowers or lunch or some poo poo.

If she’s there great if not then yeah....

It ain’t that hard.

As someone who grew up in FF/EMS, she will be there. But she's like......cleaning linens and making up a story about being a trauma surgeon. This is a thing, and it's common, mostly with people in the mid to early 20s who feel that they are underachievers + some special sort of crazy/broken to lie like this. I've inadvertently busted MULTIPLE people doing this. One so brazenly that they tried to include me in their story while I was there, me as a (very former) FF/Medic, to confirm that they worked in the ER. And they did.......but not in any kind of capacity they were claiming. (this was a "I am a trauma nurse" vs. the reality of "I make coffee for you guys when I hear you're on radio and coming in and also restock your truck while you do paperwork")

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Motronic posted:

As someone who grew up in FF/EMS, she will be there. But she's like......cleaning linens and making up a story about being a trauma surgeon. This is a thing, and it's common, mostly with people in the mid to early 20s who feel that they are underachievers + some special sort of crazy/broken to lie like this. I've inadvertently busted MULTIPLE people doing this. One so brazenly that they tried to include me in their story while I was there, me as a (very former) FF/Medic, to confirm that they worked in the ER. And they did.......but not in any kind of capacity they were claiming. (this was a "I am a trauma nurse" vs. the reality of "I make coffee for you guys when I hear you're on radio and coming in and also restock your truck while you do paperwork")

Lol I don’t think you saw the update post but holy poo poo you nearly called it.

That is amazing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Lol I don’t think you saw the update post but holy poo poo you nearly called it.

That is amazing.

Well, now I did and I'm still not surprised.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Where's the update post? He's removed his first post and I'm reading through his comments on it but not seeing anything definite?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

Where's the update post? He's removed his first post and I'm reading through his comments on it but not seeing anything definite?

it was removed, first post of this page describes it

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i always imagine the people who say "wtf you're torturing your kids by denying them 700 calories of sugar in a starbucks mug" are completely spherical in appearance

ParserGirl
Jun 3, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Man reddit sucks (duh)

Why did it get removed? That’s hilarious.

The Relationships mods are insanely pedantic and have strict requirements for updates.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

That post is fake as poo poo and it's pretty telling you're all going for it. You'd think ''Trump is the reason I can't get a job, I'm an entitled fat SJW woman'' might raise some dog whistle alarms but nah.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

ravenkult posted:

That post is fake as poo poo and it's pretty telling you're all going for it. You'd think ''Trump is the reason I can't get a job, I'm an entitled fat SJW woman'' might raise some dog whistle alarms but nah.

HAES and This is Thin Privilege would like to have a word with you.

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dazerbeams posted:

HAES and This is Thin Privilege would like to have a word with you.

I mean, the fact that those places are as well known as they are kind of makes it seem less likely someone who read them would go to Reddit. Everyone that is internet enough to know about HAES knows about Reddit and fat people and Reddit and women.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

there is absolutely no way that woman is real. “Too fat to to ride the horse” is a major running obsession of the old fat people hate subreddits. The person basically tells on herself as a fat, entitled, fat, spoiled, fat, stupid fatty in every sentence. People like that exist, but they have the marginal self-awareness not to make themselves look terrible by conforming to every reddit-spawned fat person trope.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I definitely knew people who thought their business was failing or they couldn't find a job because of Obama, so I don't know why you would think there isn't anybody out there thinking it's all Trump's fault they can't get a job.

Have you really never known someone who blames all their problems on someone else?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ravenkult posted:

If you had ever read the other SA threads about fat people culture then you would realize that there are thousands of individuals just like the OP

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Honestly the Internet is more fun when you assume good faith until it’s proven otherwise

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

If I don't call out fake posts, how else will people know how super duper smart I am?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

DemoneeHo posted:

My (27m) boyfriend (32m) is upset he spends more money when I'm around.
Anyway he's upset with me for wasting his money. While I was gone he ordered exclusively dollar menu stuff (didn't cook ONCE) and ate our freezer meals but still spent less than while I'm home. I told him I was sorry and that I'd suggest cheaper stuff, no worries.

What a loving idiot.

He ate the precooked, frozen meals she had made earlier and wondered why he was spending less :thunk:

"When I drive the car for a week it costs me nothing. But every time you drive, you fill the tank and it ends up costing us $100! I don't want you driving the car any more, you're costing me too much money!"

Also, dollar menu poo poo is not going to be healthy. Goddamn.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Incredibly stupid idiots like that really do exist. Sometimes they're so un-self aware that they don't even realize that their supposedly normal version of events still makes them sound completely awful. The OP seemed like that kind of person to me.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Pirate Radar posted:

Honestly the Internet is more fun when you assume good faith until it’s proven otherwise

:hmmyes:

I accept stories like that one in good faith, because aside from not being too morbidly obese to ride a horse (I assume), back in 06/07 my brother dated a woman that ticked all those boxes for 'poo poo-stirrer that completely lacked even a shred of self-awareness, and refused to ever consider she was the problem'.

She was quite possibly the most infuriating, tiresome person I ever met. She was too loud, obnoxious and self-centered to even go to the movies with.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Radar posted:

this is true but that post is a quilt woven from BS red flags, basically

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Literally everything in that post is believable if you accept HAES. They are exactly the type of people to believe all of those other things, because HAES is all about disavowal of personal responsibility.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It reads exactly like a post from one of many pro-fat forums, so either it is real or it's indistinguishable from the real thing (in which case who cares shut up)

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Motronic posted:

Oh wow, there is an update in the post history:

(Update) I guess all the trolls who ripped me apart yesterday for commiting the mortal sin of wanting to ride horses will be happy to know my sister kicked me out and I'm basically homeless. Thanks Reddit! You rule! (self.relationship_advice)

submitted 4 months ago by Jizzmoperto /relationship_advice

58 commentssharesavehidereport[removed by moderators]nsfb

I don't even know what's real anymore

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
AITA for cutting off contact with my dad after he eloped with my fiances mom?

I was dating my (ex)fiance for 7 years, we started going out at 18 and just recently sorta ended things. Last September I had a BBQ and invited my dad and my fiances mom (the bbq was to announce our engagement). It was the first time they met and they apparently started sleeping together and then got married the week after. It was a mess. At first my fiance and I tried to accept it (even though it was hella weird) but then everywhere we went, they would introduce us as brother/sister. So we both decided that we wouldn't talk to either of them and went no contact. It was alright, but it really caused our relationship to go downhill. We eventually decided to not get married until this is sorted out. We no longer live together, but are still sorta together (I really have no idea how to describe our relationship right now.)

Recently my sister found out that we were no longer together and sent me this message: "I am so glad you and Fiance are no longer together. It is weird dating our brother anyways, I am so glad that you will be coming to Easter now!"

I did not respond or go to Easter. Nor did my (ex?) fiance. Then my sister called me and told me that family was more important than a petty argument. I honestly feel really justified in my decision but that's why I need an outside opinion. So AITA?

Edit: Additional info because I forgot to add the part that might make me an rear end in a top hat. My families religion is big on family values. My family (like my dad, sister and I) aren't religious but they are still big on the family values part. If my dad doesn't talk to me, then no one else in my family will. Since my sister basically raised me, she is "responsible" for my actions, if she can't get me to talk to my dad then the rest of my family will basically go no contact with her.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How good was the sex they got married after a week, goddamn.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Barudak posted:

How good was the sex they got married after a week, goddamn.
They got married so the kids wouldn't. It worked.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Pirate Radar posted:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

QuarkJets posted:

Indeed but this poster, who wrote "I love sweets and have to keep a bunch of them in my room" and "I introduced them to the pure joy of chocolate milk and white chocolate mochas from Starbucks" does not have anorexia

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ravenkult posted:

Have you not seen the world we live in?

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Have you not seen the world we live in?

It's world with a lot of idiots, but also a lot of trolls pretending to be idiots

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for telling my wife’s friend in the Army that he really doesn’t sacrifice anything and to stop acting like he is the greatest thing in the world?

My wife’s friends husband is in the army. We aren’t friends - just more acquaintances. Before he joined the Army he was sorting boxes and smoking pot all the time. They had a crappy apartment and he had no direction in life at all. At 33 he enlisted in the army because he wanted money for housing. It’s been about 3 years now and all he does/have done is drive supply trucks back and forth on a base. He now has a house and extra money (which of course he blew it on a Camaro). Literally ALL he talks about is the army and when he’s around people he doesn’t know he brings it up only to be told “thank you for your service.”

A few days ago - His wife (my wife’s friend) him, myself and my wife were at a mutual friends house. There were about 30 people there and he starts it up again. Starts talking about life in the army and how he’s gods gift to everyone. People start doing the whole “thank you for your service and sacrifice” and his wife goes into the whole army wife thing and how her life is a huge sacrifice too. The way he was describing life in the army you’d think he had seen combat and has whatnot. Like he was in Vietnam or something. It was pathetic.

I don’t know why, but I just stopped them and told them they weren’t making any sacrifice at all. In fact their lives have gotten significantly better since he joined and all the stuff the army does for him - better pay, low interest rates, housing allowance, pension, benefits, etc. I told him how it’s pretty dumb how he wears his uniform around a mall and in public for literally no reason at all other than to just get people to talk to him. Etc. Then we all start to kind of debate this topic. About 30 of us. Pretty much everyone agreed with me. There was a long civilized debate. Him and his wife think I’m an rear end in a top hat of course. But that’s because I called them out on their bullshit about how much of a sacrifice they’re making in their lives when in reality it’s 1000000 times better than it was before he joined 3 years ago.

So Reddit. AITA for calling him out in front of all these people.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for giving my daughter a cheap prepaid phone after she intentionally broke her smartphone?

My oldest daughter turned 12 last month. For her birthday, she got her first cell phone from my wife and I. This device is a "budget smartphone". Although it's far from the iPhone X, it has everything she would need on it. Calling, texting, maps, music, bluetooth, social media apps... I thought this would make her happy. It didn't.

The first thing she said after seeing it was "why didn't you get me an iPhone?" I told her this was her first phone, and she will get a huge upgrade if she takes care of this one and keeps her grades up. She was very upset. She took the phone to her room without even saying thank you.

Fast forward to last Monday. She came home from school with a shattered screen. I noticed the case was off too. I asked her what happened. "It fell." No worries, we have a protection plan. I was gonna get it replaced the next day. She was strongly against doing that, because "we might as well just get the iPhone now." At that point I finally put two and two together: she did try to destroy her phone so we'd get her a better one.

My wife and I had a long talk with her. I really just wanted to teach her that what she did is wrong, get the replacement, and move on. I also hoped she would understand our perspective. But she argued with us. Why can't mom and I just get better paying jobs? Why can't the family sacrifice our Netflix and HBO for her? How about those thousands of dollars we put away for college? All of her friends have new iPhones!

So I went and got her a prepaid plan with a cheap phone and a limited number of minutes/texts each month. (911 still works when it's out of minutes.) Her "new" phone is frankly a piece of poo poo compared to the first one. It can call fine. Texting works but it's difficult to have a conversation with the layout. The camera is worse than a potato. This is as close as I can get to a no phone punishment while keeping the safety benefits of a phone. She will have this phone until her next birthday, when we'll give her the replacement of the one she broke. My wife agrees with this decision.

My wife's friends think we are being too harsh. I fail to see what makes this a cruel and unusual punishment. We bought her a phone, she broke it with the intent to deceive us, and she refused to apologize. Taking away her smartphone privileges in a way that does not jeopardize her safety seems perfectly reasonable to me. But I've been wrong before so I want to ask what you guys think.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for reporting a classmate who was trying to help me, but made me extremely uncomfortable?

I’m a female college freshman who was assigned a group project with two other people: a guy, and a girl named Ann. I am normally a good student; however my depression got very bad the past month, I had some family issues crop up (that I kept private from my peers), & my efforts dipped. I became one of those dreaded group slackers & regret this a lot.

I had previously barely known or spoken with Ann & had known very little about her, other than that she’s very religious. Even during our project, I conversed with her very little. She messaged me saying that she wanted to meet with me at our library to discuss the project. I showed up, & she beckoned me to a private room.

She told me that she’s noticed I’ve been making very little effort, & I was very apologetic. She continues (her face/voice getting very dramatic/emotional) about how she knows I could do so much better, how she sees great potential in me & how disappointing it is to see me “wasting my wonderful potential.” I start to say how I’ve been going through a rough patch, but she interrupts, “[OP], don’t. Everyone has an excuse, but few have the ability to look at their behavior, and choose to better their lives.”

Ann continued, “you are the bird that could soar to the highest point in the sky, but cowers in the shadows”, & proceeds to make a zillion other, “you are the…” analogies. She starts holding my hands, telling me over and over I need to “blossom.” She began crying, & expressing fear that I am “not blossoming.” “Most people have blossomed by your age, but you haven’t. I’m worried for you, [OP]. I want you to have a wonderful life, I want you to be the bird that soars high in the sky, but...you have to turn things around.”

15-20 minutes of this went on. She continued her dramatic gushing, & started referring to me as “a beautiful bird.” She finished by telling me, in tears, to “blossom into the beautiful flower that God intended you to be,” & that she’ll do all of my part of the project (due in 2 days), so that I can have time these next 2 days to think about what she’s told me. I adamantly refused, telling her I’ll do my part. She insisted, telling me to “accept this wonderful gift.” I did the project, but when we came to class I found she’d still done my part. I replaced her part with mine and turned the project in.

I had a private conversation with my professor & told him how extremely uncomfortable & violated Ann made me feel. I would have way rather had a group mate who was an rear end in a top hat, than one like her who gushes over me, cries and violates boundaries. He seemed concerned, & told me he’ll be speaking to the dean about it.

I’m conflicted. I know that her heart was in the right place, & that she’ll feel very betrayed that I got her into the dean’s office over what she views as a helpful, loving gesture. But her behavior was just so bizarre & creepy that I feel something has to be done. AITA?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my wife’s friend in the Army that he really doesn’t sacrifice anything and to stop acting like he is the greatest thing in the world?

My wife’s friends husband is in the army. We aren’t friends - just more acquaintances. Before he joined the Army he was sorting boxes and smoking pot all the time. They had a crappy apartment and he had no direction in life at all. At 33 he enlisted in the army because he wanted money for housing. It’s been about 3 years now and all he does/have done is drive supply trucks back and forth on a base. He now has a house and extra money (which of course he blew it on a Camaro). Literally ALL he talks about is the army and when he’s around people he doesn’t know he brings it up only to be told “thank you for your service.”

A few days ago - His wife (my wife’s friend) him, myself and my wife were at a mutual friends house. There were about 30 people there and he starts it up again. Starts talking about life in the army and how he’s gods gift to everyone. People start doing the whole “thank you for your service and sacrifice” and his wife goes into the whole army wife thing and how her life is a huge sacrifice too. The way he was describing life in the army you’d think he had seen combat and has whatnot. Like he was in Vietnam or something. It was pathetic.

I don’t know why, but I just stopped them and told them they weren’t making any sacrifice at all. In fact their lives have gotten significantly better since he joined and all the stuff the army does for him - better pay, low interest rates, housing allowance, pension, benefits, etc. I told him how it’s pretty dumb how he wears his uniform around a mall and in public for literally no reason at all other than to just get people to talk to him. Etc. Then we all start to kind of debate this topic. About 30 of us. Pretty much everyone agreed with me. There was a long civilized debate. Him and his wife think I’m an rear end in a top hat of course. But that’s because I called them out on their bullshit about how much of a sacrifice they’re making in their lives when in reality it’s 1000000 times better than it was before he joined 3 years ago.

So Reddit. AITA for calling him out in front of all these people.

and then everyone stood up and clapped

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for giving my daughter a cheap prepaid phone after she intentionally broke her smartphone?

But she argued with us. Why can't mom and I just get better paying jobs? Why can't the family sacrifice our Netflix and HBO for her? How about those thousands of dollars we put away for college? All of her friends have new iPhones!

Start selling her stuff on eBay until it adds up to an iphone. Hope she likes the floor.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for reporting a classmate who was trying to help me, but made me extremely uncomfortable?

Calling it: Ann is deeply closeted and has a huge sublimated crush on OP

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm a teacher. I've seen students snap their iPad over a desk to a right angle because it was running slowly. Multiple times.

Do not give teens tech that costs more than $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Seriously. If you are planning on giving your child a device, plan when you are going to give it to them, and plan a 'savings' fund that they are a part of that will come to fruition when you were planning to give it to them anyway.