Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah your kill time slows down and the bonus exp does not increase enough to compensate. As far as I know, expert is the only difficulty with that problem though :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

big cummers ONLY posted:

Yeah your kill time slows down and the bonus exp does not increase enough to compensate. As far as I know, expert is the only difficulty with that problem though :)
Yeah, it's just Expert. Hard is "I have played an ARPG before in my life". Master is "I have roughly on-level rare items".

The grognards will tell you that you should just stay at Hard because even Master isn't really worth it, but it's probably more fun to have to try a little bit.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you’re enjoying the pace then stick with, difficulty really only matters at max level because none of your gear is gonna roll correctly until then anyway.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I assumed it would be like that, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I might as well restart my characters as seasonal ones, then, although Season 16 started in January, the current season probably only has a couple months left to it at best.

The current season ends on May 12.

mewse
May 2, 2006

This is the expert trap:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mob hp jumps 1.6x but total xp only jumps 1.14x (XP row should really be 100%, 175%, 200%)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
If you care about reaching max level in the mathematically most efficient manner, then stick with hard. If you don't care about that, then play on the difficulty that you like the most.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Dameius posted:

If you care about reaching max level in the mathematically most efficient manner, then stick with hard. If you don't care about that, then play on the difficulty that you like the most.

It depends. If you get a really good legendary weapon it’s definitely worth going to master or torment until the damage falls off then dropping it back down

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

I assumed it would be like that, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I might as well restart my characters as seasonal ones, then, although Season 16 started in January, the current season probably only has a couple months left to it at best.

Okayyy, scratch making seasonal characters right now, then.

This is the biggest mistake you can make. It doesn't matter how much time is in the season, you do not get penalised in any way shape or form for playing seasons.

For your first character on a new account you should always always always play season. You get a free set which instantly puts you in range of doing t10, and with small tweaks let's you farm t13 immediately allowing you to skip all the other useless torment levels. You want to farm t13 immediately because you are guaranteed like 4 legendaries each normal rift, playing solo, if not more. Compare that to farming on torment 1 where you might get 1 legendary item per day or something ridiculous like that. If you do not play season and start in non season, you will have to farm gear all the way up from torment 1 difficulty and deal with the drop rates, which can take weeks until you are t13 ready (compared to season can take an hour or two depending on luck).

Furthermore, there are no downsides to playing seasons and only rewards. You get new cosmetics, new stash tabs, free items. And there's no bottom 1000 leaderboard that just shits on new players or something stupid like that. It's just pure benefits.

If after your first character, you don't want to play seasons and want to stick to non season, up to you. But you do not want to be stuck trying to get a legendary item to drop on torment 1 and gearing up a character like that.

Guilty fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 28, 2019

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Guilty posted:

This is the biggest mistake you can make. It doesn't matter how much time is in the season, you do not get penalised in any way shape or form for playing seasons.

For your first character on a new account you should always always always play season. You get a free set which instantly puts you in range of doing t10, and with small tweaks let's you farm t13 immediately allowing you to skip all the other useless torment levels. You want to farm t13 immediately because you are guaranteed like 4 legendaries each normal rift, playing solo, if not more. Compare that to farming on torment 1 where you might get 1 legendary item per day or something ridiculous like that. If you do not play season and start in non season, you will have to farm gear all the way up from torment 1 difficulty and deal with the drop rates, which can take weeks until you are t13 ready (compared to season can take an hour or two depending on luck).

Furthermore, there are no downsides to playing seasons and only rewards. You get new cosmetics, new stash tabs, free items. And there's no bottom 1000 leaderboard that just shits on new players or something stupid like that. It's just pure benefits.

If after your first character, you don't want to play seasons and want to stick to non season, up to you. But you do not want to be stuck trying to get a legendary item to drop on torment 1 and gearing up a character like that.

This is good advice in general but in this case they've already made a non-seasonal as their first character and are playing through the storyline first, so it's not worth restarting all that progress for something that will probably end before they can get their free set out of it.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Organza Quiz posted:

This is good advice in general but in this case they've already made a non-seasonal as their first character and are playing through the storyline first, so it's not worth restarting all that progress for something that will probably end before they can get their free set out of it.

It absolutely is because all of the XP will transfer over, and even if he doesn't get to 70 before the season ends (HIGHLY doubtful) he still loses absolutely nothing by starting over and has everything to gain. Assuming he plays an hour per day, solo, and has no idea what he's doing he's still got about 15 hours till the season ends which is more than enough time to get all the items and stash tab and have a headstart with a few hours possibly left over at t13. It's a LOT better and more fun than sitting at t1 for the next two weeks waiting for s17 to start.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

big cummers ONLY posted:

My Witch Doctor had just found the Staff of Chiropetra, which boosted Firebats attack speed by 100%, reduced the mana cost by 75%, and gave an additional +143% damage to them. It turns out that when using the Dire Bats rune, that's more than enough damage to keep a hilariously high kill speed even on Expert difficulty.

Of course, anything else I attack with does far less damage, so I think I've only found an exception to the usual rule.

Guilty posted:

At the time I posted that, I was pretty certain that with everything else I have to do, I would not have time to play enough during the next two weeks to get a character high enough level and well equipped enough for that to be worthwhile.

But considering that just a couple hours was enough to get my Witch Doctor from level 9 at the Forsaken Cemetery to about 28 in the Forsaken Woods, it probably won't take nearly as long as I thought it might.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You are playing the campaign which will be slower, but just doing rifts in Adventure Mode, with no clue at what you are doing, and just on hard, you'll hit 70 inside 4 hours. Just to give you a benchmark frame of reference.

Vomik posted:

It depends. If you get a really good legendary weapon it’s definitely worth going to master or torment until the damage falls off then dropping it back down

Absolutely true, but dude is new enough that I didn't feel like typing out all the edge case min/maxing for leveling.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Dameius posted:

You are playing the campaign which will be slower, but just doing rifts in Adventure Mode, with no clue at what you are doing, and just on hard, you'll hit 70 inside 4 hours. Just to give you a benchmark frame of reference.

It takes me way longer than 4 hours to get to 70 with a fresh character unassisted.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Too bad Vyr isn't a thing this season:

Edit: Should have used TIMG

Zarin fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 30, 2019

Guilty
May 3, 2003

At the time I posted that, I was pretty certain that with everything else I have to do, I would not have time to play enough during the next two weeks to get a character high enough level and well equipped enough for that to be worthwhile.

But considering that just a couple hours was enough to get my Witch Doctor from level 9 at the Forsaken Cemetery to about 28 in the Forsaken Woods, it probably won't take nearly as long as I thought it might.

Search YouTube for a fresh 70 guide. It will teach you how to get to 70 quickly. Also I feel absolutely 0 guilt for "spoiling" this for you as the game played at 1-70 is a completely different game where you will learn nothing useful.

Rinkles posted:

It takes me way longer than 4 hours to get to 70 with a fresh character unassisted.

I mean, if you've never played an ARPG before and had to read all the items and maybe had a cat that needs constant attention sure I guess maybe this could be an actual thing? There was a Reddit thread about a blind guy who posted how he played and he said it took him about three to four hours to level to hit 70, but he was basically playing d3 with ecolocation

Guilty fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Apr 28, 2019

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Are we still sharing RNG hate crimes?

Maybe there's some cool LoN Rapid Fire channeling build to try with the Wojahnnis, idk. :sigh: Or the game is saying enough DH.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Guilty posted:

I mean, if you've never played an ARPG before and had to read all the items and maybe had a cat that needs constant attention sure I guess maybe this could be an actual thing? There was a Reddit thread about a blind guy who posted how he played and he said it took him about three to four hours to level to hit 70, but he was basically playing d3 with ecolocation

You have a link?

IDK what to say. Pretty sure this season it took me ~9 hours, purposely avoiding the weapon trick and other ways for easier leveling, but not like I was trying to play slow. (I mean it's possible I'm confusing that time with another milestone, like set completion, but I don't think so).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really do not understand how a blind person could play D3, a game with literally zero player feedback except when you have no mana.

It might take you 4 hours to speedfarm to 70 but that requires intimate knowledge of game systems like Massacre bonuses. It will take a normal player 6-12 hours to go 1-70 because you need to factor in things like “Reading this new skill” etc. that veterans don’t consider because we’ve known what everything does for like 3 years.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
About maybe 4-5 hours of played plus time in town/down time then.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
I dunno what to tell you. Literally thousands of players do it every season, as you can see by leaderboards that go active and fill up by like hour three of each season on all servers.

edit: follow one of these guides, as the 1-70 leveling grind does absolutely nothing for the rest of the game and is irrelevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX04TKbK-Is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEf_A0ZqIo

Both streamers have videos showing how they do it in ~2 hours. This is considered the casual fun way with your friends, if you watch the stream they're just going slow, dicking around, running endless rifts and trading gear.

There's also the ZD eastern European crap method which involves aspergers level of concentration that lets you level up to 70 in less than an hour which is completely unfun.

Guilty fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 28, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nobody said you can't level quickly.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
A brand new player isn't going to get to 70 at veteran speed, and frankly I think you're doing them a disservice to suggest it. There's something to be said for just playing and exploring the game on your own terms for the first time.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Don't you also have to slog through story mode anyway to unlock T1+ or adventure mode or [insert other critical thing here] anyway? P sure it's still a weird requirement for something important I just can't remember what.

edit: all of that to say, for a completely new player, 2 hrs vs 4hrs of occasional play in the context of a full season doesn't matter too terribly much.

tetsuo fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 28, 2019

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

tetsuo posted:

Don't you also have to slog through story mode anyway to unlock T1+ or adventure mode or [insert other critical thing here] anyway? P sure it's still a weird requirement for something important I just can't remember what.
You have to finish the story to unlock Adventure Mode, but only for non-seasonal; seasonal characters get Adventure Mode unlocked automatically.

T1+ is "having a level 60 character", I think?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

gently caress I want those inarius changes already

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the leveling process is actually VERY IMPORTANT for newbs because you get drip fed your signature spells at key points and thats the foundation for how your play your class and mange resources.

Leveling is irrelevant when you’re on Season 17 and have been playing for 5 years, it’s literally the entire game when you’re brand new, and it’s important for EVERYONE to experience how bad Campaign mode really is.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

yeah, powerleveling my second ever character with a gem of ease was boring, unsatisfying and confusing because i had a million unfamiliar skills and runes dumped on me almost at once.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

tetsuo posted:

It seems that I will indeed need to finish the campaign/story mode at least once. When I started my seasonal wizard, it did seem to give me the option between Campaign and Adventure, and I chose Campaign. But any new characters can't play Adventure until finishing the story at least once.

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the leveling process is actually VERY IMPORTANT for newbs because you get drip fed your signature spells at key points and thats the foundation for how your play your class and mange resources.

Leveling is irrelevant when you’re on Season 17 and have been playing for 5 years, it’s literally the entire game when you’re brand new, and it’s important for EVERYONE to experience how bad Campaign mode really is.

As the "Stupid New Guy" in question, I agree with all of this. It's easier to grasp the skills when you're getting only a handful of skills/runes per level, instead of having all 6 types * 5(?) Skills * 6(?) Runes * 20(?) passive choices all dumped on you at once like it would be if you essentially start at level 70.

Frankly, I rather like leveling up gradually instead of rushing, even if some people might call it the "objectively wrong" way to play.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Rinkles posted:

yeah, powerleveling my second ever character with a gem of ease was boring, unsatisfying and confusing because i had a million unfamiliar skills and runes dumped on me almost at once.

Once you've gone through a game a bazillion times like everyone itt has you instinctually remember where you get the good spells at and just slot them to the exclusion of everything else for the next 50 levels.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Yeah just don't listen to people telling you to smash your way to 70 asap. Learn your skills as you get em and if you ever feel like you a wall, just ask in the thread about it and we'll help you out. Like people have said, we've all been playing this dumb dead game for years at this point.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Semi-regular reminder to join the `Season Powerleveling` community (Shift+O to open Communities Tab and then 'Find' at the bottom) rather than asking the miserable sods in [1. General] for help. Also it's nice to give back and plvl some folks when you're bored. :)

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Frankly, I rather like leveling up gradually instead of rushing, even if some people might call it the "objectively wrong" way to play.

To your point, the only "objectively right" way to play is the one where you are having fun, even if you are the only person in the history of existence that has had fun playing that way. gently caress anyone who disagrees.

So first and foremost, just do whatever you want, however you want. But also if you have specific goals in mind, you may have to play in certain ways.

End rant. Enjoy.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
There's like a hundred skills PER character and barely six active skills that are useful that aren't just active buffs. I mean if you want to know what every rune for every mantra on the monk does go for it. But I'm a top 100 EU PC monk that has been playing for four years and I have no clue what half the skills the monk has does.

I agree it's important to learn the skills, but you're much better off actually interacting with the skills in a meaningful way (once you hit 70) and have unlocked all your skill slots and can see the full potential of the skill. I mean, consider DH sentry builds that require like four active slots and three passives to be useful. If you're "learning skills" at level 30 or whatever you're going to think sentry is a garbage skill because you don't have all the slots unlocked.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

It seems that I will indeed need to finish the campaign/story mode at least once. When I started my seasonal wizard, it did seem to give me the option between Campaign and Adventure, and I chose Campaign. But any new characters can't play Adventure until finishing the story at least once.

As the "Stupid New Guy" in question, I agree with all of this. It's easier to grasp the skills when you're getting only a handful of skills/runes per level, instead of having all 6 types * 5(?) Skills * 6(?) Runes * 20(?) passive choices all dumped on you at once like it would be if you essentially start at level 70.

If you haven’t figured this out yet, a setting in options called “Ellective Mode” lets you remap your skills with virtually no restrictions on your hotbar and is required for anything approaching high level play.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rinkles posted:

I find it to be a hoot especially if you can get them a socketed ring and dump simplicity's strength on them too

If anyone is on tonight, I could use a carry through some grifts. I'm topped out at around 25 or 26 and I don't think I can go much further

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Guilty posted:

If you're "learning skills" at level 30 or whatever you're going to think sentry is a garbage skill because you don't have all the slots unlocked.

I mean, you gotta use skills to see what they even do. You're only new once. Flounder around with all the garbage skills/runes and then when you're 70 for a bit and want to crank up the difficulty, then you just have to Google for builds to learn what skills are used in the meta.

Have fun and don't worry about learning the meta til you get there, IMO

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Once you've gone through a game a bazillion times like everyone itt has you instinctually remember where you get the good spells at and just slot them to the exclusion of everything else for the next 50 levels.

anyone wanna do a rundown of good leveling skills per class? curious how others play (not counting being carried or whatever).

e:obviously what legendaries you find will affect what skills you use

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I find it to be a hoot especially if you can get them a socketed ring and dump simplicity's strength on them too

If anyone is on tonight, I could use a carry through some grifts. I'm topped out at around 25 or 26 and I don't think I can go much further

What's your battletag? I can carry you through some 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician

Rinkles posted:

anyone wanna do a rundown of good leveling skills per class? curious how others play (not counting being carried or whatever).

e:obviously what legendaries you find will affect what skills you use

In general you need one each of a resource generator, a spender and a mobility skill (vault, spirit walk, leap etc) as soon as you level up to get one. Don't worry too much about which is best/worst. The micro-optimization with skills and runes can drive you batty between levels.

After that I just pick buffs and/or pets as they become available (shouts, gargantuans/zombie dogs, companions, magic weapon/familiar etc) depending on class. For my 4 class passives I'll take any +damage ones, +movement ones and the cheat death passive when it unlocks.

It'll all get tossed at 70 anyway :). Like *reads username* uhh "big cummers ONLY" said, have fun and don't worry.