Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I bet Aliens slays on big screen. I’ve seen Alien that way (on a planetarium dome no less) but never Aliens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Keith Atherton posted:

Aliens is the only movie I saw in the theater two nights in a row (opening night and and the next night)

Audience went nuts when “LET’S ROCK!!!” went down

Oh that would have been so fun to be at.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Oh that would have been so fun to be at.

It was. I mean being a teenager in the 80s ruled because you only saw trailers at the theater. Went into Blade Runner, Poltergeist, the Thing, and Aliens not knowing anything but what at most the trailer showed

The Thing and Blade Runner opened the same day in the summer of 1982 and I saw Blade Runner Friday and the Thing Saturday. That was a fun weekend.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I've just been reminded of "Marine Doom" and its use of audio clips from Aliens.

Don't bother getting the mod, it's dogshit and the Doom engine, while a brilliant example of how to make a simple yet practical fast-paced action-horror arcade FPS, is an unbelievably terrible example of even the most basic methods of training flesh-and-blood soldiers to work together, especially when you can't even look up or down.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Let’s do this poo poo.

I took a shitload of photos of random Alien merchandise to include with this post and then the Awful app crashed and ate my post, so I’ll retake them after the movie or something.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

skasion posted:

I bet Aliens slays on big screen. I’ve seen Alien that way (on a planetarium dome no less) but never Aliens

Saw both at the Ontario Cinesphere (massive screen, I think it might be the world's first IMAX theatre) and the audience was surprisingly tame up until the loader fight - barring a few outliers, like me, who hollered at just about everything Hudson said.

"WHY DON'T YOU PUT HER IN CHARGE?!?!"

It's not Aliens-related but I have a story that would probably fit well here. A couple of years ago, I went to see T2: Judgment Day at a local repertoire theatre, the Royal, on judgment day. The Royal is one of Toronto's better repertoire cinemas, and doubles as an audio mixdown studio during the day - this makes this story all the more frustrating.

First off, after a cringeworthy performance by theatre employees acting as resistance and a T800, the movie started up... from a Blu-Ray menu screen. This was unexpected but ultimately OK. What was not OK was the complete lack of sound. This went on for the entire intro, to the point that the dozens of nerds in the audience began making their own SFX - "pew pew" sounds for the lasers, etc. Admittedly it was kind of endearing in a ridiculous way.

So the staff finally stop the movie well into the credit sequence, and go back to the Blu-Ray menu. Great, issue resolved. Except when it started up again, I noticed a lack of Sarah Connor's voice-over.

The center channel was missing. No VO, no dialog. This went on for some time as well; when future John Connor appeared on screen someone was like "WHO'S THAT?"

We all got refunds, and in the moment it was kind of hilarious but it blows my mind that a Dolby-certified theatre hosed up the audio track on a goddamn Blu-Ray.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Alright, Im watching Alien 3 this weekend, the theatrical for the first time.

Was thinkin about Aliens quite some time after including it in my annual monsterfest last Oct. It is super good. The dialogue feels fresh and real unlike that lowest common denominator crap later on in Camerons career. Its a cinematic movie kind of movie and I wouldnt hesitate to see it on big screen, it earned that treatment

Too bad the Aien franchise is, according to my calculations, 80% bad, worse than Star Wars. I never sat through AvP in one sitting, I barely remember Prometheus other than characters being idiots .like kneeling down at a weird alien thing

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Still thinking about those Aliens.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Keith Atherton posted:

Audience went nuts when “LET’S ROCK!!!” went down

Yep. That's how it was way back when I saw it on it's original run. The tension has been ratcheting up, the audience is keyed up to see these marines blast the poo poo out of these aliens that we hate and fear - especially using those big loving guns Vasquez and Drake wear - and instead we see the marines get massacred quickly. When Vasquez finally cuts loose its so drat cathartic.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Alien
Aliens
Predator
Predator 2
Alien3

That's all there is. Nothing else exists.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 27, 2019

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Watching Aliens for the first time in several years because of this thread and realized the guy who plays Drake was also in the Shawshank Redemption

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Laterite posted:

Alien, Aliens, Predator, Predator 2, Alien3. That's all there is. Nothing else exists.

:hai:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I don't know what to ask in that case! That being said, open question; other than Newt's family finding the derelict and Ripley learning of Amanda's life & death in the last 57 years, what extra scenes does the extended version have over the theatrical? It's been such a long time now since I've watched that version that I'd probably (incorrectly) scream blue murder about missing scenes if Aliens was showing the theatrical cut on TV without me knowing.

I don't even play tabletop stuff (because I live a million miles away from anyone else I know who would), but I'd probably get this in the same way I want the RE2 board game.
Swing by the TG forum in Games, there's a lot of Play by Post and Discord games.

quote:

“We’re focusing more on certain aspects of the universe than others. I think the key thing there is we’ve set our game in the year 2183, that’s a very conscious choice,” he said. “The more recent prequel movies, Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, those are part of the canon, part of the story and universe. But as they take place in a much earlier era, that era is not where our focus lies.”
Ha, I'm choosing to read this as "Prometheus and Covenant are Plot Death and we're ignoring them as much as the licence will allow"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Resurrection is like Batman Returns, or Batman & Robin, it's not actually a good movie or good followup but it takes a familiar setting and mangles it in an extremely bizarre and interesting way. Its often grotesque and bafflingly cartoony but there are some great performances in it and you just can't look away.

Alien 3 is like Batman Forever in that it's just a bad movie that makes me unhappy about everything when I see it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

purple death ray posted:

Resurrection is like Batman Returns, or Batman & Robin, it's not actually a good movie or good followup but it takes a familiar setting and mangles it in an extremely bizarre and interesting way. Its often grotesque and bafflingly cartoony but there are some great performances in it and you just can't look away.

Alien 3 is like Batman Forever in that it's just a bad movie that makes me unhappy about everything when I see it.

Have you seen the Assembly Cut of 'Alien3'? Because it's loving awesome.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I have, it's not

Sorry I'm being unnecessarily aggro I just really hate alien 3

purple death ray fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 27, 2019

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

state of the badass art
:)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFNTB4tDDtU

Ellen Ripley showed up at the encore of the high school play

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018
Just on the subject of Newt and Hicks. How exactly would they fit into an Alien 3 anyway? A surrogate child and love interest in essentially a rape movie. I honestly cant see how they could develop Ripley's character with those two characters around without some cheesy lovey-dovey ending. Newt can't be hanging around Ripley forever while there's xenomorphs running around. She just wouldn't fit into any sequel. and maybe killing Newt off via alien penetration would be a worse way to go. And I don't see Hicks, or anyone, as being a good supporting character to Ripley. After Alien Ripley is on her own, alone, and her world has just been hosed up. We've only known Ripley to be hardy and independent, and I think a partner would just cheapen her character.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

purple death ray posted:

I have, it's not

Sorry I'm being unnecessarily aggro I just really hate alien 3
Aside from the completely unnecessary murder of Newt and Hicks it's good.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ka0 posted:

Anyone know if they are selling videos of the play, or theres a full version of it online?
So loving amazing still.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

happyhippy posted:

Anyone know if they are selling videos of the play, or theres a full version of it online?
So loving amazing still.

It was a feel good story especially how Ridley Scott donated to allow the play to put on a few more shows.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

happyhippy posted:

So loving amazing still.

Word is "mid-May", one of the teachers is editing videos.

Alien somehow made it all the way out to rural Northern California to a town only 4 miles up the river in first run. A bunch of us kids saw it, it was awesome, I was 11 at the time and thought it was amazing. Then a few months later, the second-run/rep house theater in my town got it. Word of mouth had been huge, so the place was packed. Whole families turned up, including kids as young as 5 or 6. And that proved to be even more unfortunate than you'd expect.

See, it was a theater that showed cult classics and second run films. Alien was top bill and the second film of the night. First up ? Cronenberg's "They Came From Within".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC-wkbUL814

The voiceover in the trailer isn't hyperbole, that's a seriously disturbing film. The manager came out afterwards and made an abject apology, he always screens the films before putting them on the schedule. Except for this, of all nightmares to go into cold. I'm sure there are some people who still have bad dreams because of it and they were to young to remember the trauma that was They Came From Within.

After that he put Alien on and nobody got scared by a drat thing in the whole film, we were all too numb.

Oh, and I saw Close Encounters at the same theater. During the saucer chase sequence towards the beginning of the movie... some poor SOB ran their car into a utility pole, so the lights went out while spaceships were zooming about.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Xenomrph posted:

Have you seen the Assembly Cut of 'Alien3'? Because it's loving awesome.

It’s okay and no where near awesome

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I remember ages ago reading some of the pulpy Aliens books as a kid. I'd check out like 3 of them at a time and blaze through them before the weekend was up.

Taintrunner posted:

A:CM even with the overhaul mod is godawful.

Probably, but for less than a single beer at a pub- my standards are pretty low.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

frogge posted:

Probably, but for less than a single beer at a pub- my standards are pretty low.

That's a good way to put it. Just have to turn up at the pub a bit later than usual to even the cost.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Phobos Anomaly posted:

Just on the subject of Newt and Hicks. How exactly would they fit into an Alien 3 anyway? A surrogate child and love interest in essentially a rape movie. I honestly cant see how they could develop Ripley's character with those two characters around without some cheesy lovey-dovey ending. Newt can't be hanging around Ripley forever while there's xenomorphs running around. She just wouldn't fit into any sequel. and maybe killing Newt off via alien penetration would be a worse way to go. And I don't see Hicks, or anyone, as being a good supporting character to Ripley. After Alien Ripley is on her own, alone, and her world has just been hosed up. We've only known Ripley to be hardy and independent, and I think a partner would just cheapen her character.

I would have been fine with Ripley becoming separated during hyper sleep so she wakes up alone or with Bishop. then by the end of Alien 3 Ripleys death would be tragic but at least she saved Newt and gave her a chance. Murdering them off-screen just felt needlessly sadistic and basically made the entire 2nd movie meaningless.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Class Warcraft posted:

I would have been fine with Ripley becoming separated during hyper sleep so she wakes up alone or with Bishop. then by the end of Alien 3 Ripleys death would be tragic but at least she saved Newt and gave her a chance. Murdering them off-screen just felt needlessly sadistic and basically made the entire 2nd movie meaningless.

They did stop the aliens.

E:

I remember thinking yesterday, how odd it is that the queen went out of her way to get revenge in Aliens. They're supposed to be these perfect creatures, free of morality, the ultimate survivors, all that junk. Yet she's incredibly thirsty for Ripley's blood, after torching just a few eggs. It's not like she couldn't just lay more, and she obviously didn't know about their plan to nuke it all.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 27, 2019

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Stop them from what? Aside from Newt they'd already killed everyone on that planet.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Ka0 posted:

Everything about that play just makes me happy.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Class Warcraft posted:

Stop them from what? Aside from Newt they'd already killed everyone on that planet.

Someone else would show up eventually!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfUe6Yl0dWk

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

THE BAR posted:

E:

I remember thinking yesterday, how odd it is that the queen went out of her way to get revenge in Aliens. They're supposed to be these perfect creatures, free of morality, the ultimate survivors, all that junk. Yet she's incredibly thirsty for Ripley's blood, after torching just a few eggs. It's not like she couldn't just lay more, and she obviously didn't know about their plan to nuke it all.

Well, Ripley did send multiple grenades into her baby-maker. I'm not sure how many eggs she was prepared to lay after that.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

THE BAR posted:

E:

There's a couple ways to look at it. The first being that Ripley and Newt represented the last chances for more progeny, the second being that a starship represents an opportunity to spread to a new world. Queens are portrayed as being like wicked smart in all the other media, so it could be that she chased after them out of a desire to catch them, then took advantage of the starship. Her egg-maker was destroyed so she didn't have a lot of investment left in that particular nest site.

Also, played a bunch of the 2010 AvP tonight with friends, the multiplayer is still good if you have like ~6 or so people. Didn't try the co-op 4 player mode. I'll be playing tomorrow for folks who wanna jump in. I think the sale's over though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I honestly took it as the queen just being straight up pissed and going "OH HELL NO YOU FUCKERS ARE NOT GETTING AWAY"

e: Like, note how the queen screams when the eggs are being torched. She's not being hurt, herself- that's a scream of emotional agony. From that point the queen is just straight up nuclear loving angry.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

Oh poo poo, of course the bit with Simpson & Lydecker was in the extended cut too.

Small bit of trivia here, but realising Mac McDonald (Simpson) came back to the franchise to voice Chief (and some other un-named NPCs) in Isolation was something I enjoyed more than I probably should have. I mean Chief is a character completely unrelated to Simpson, and his audio records don't even reach three minutes combined (calling the Working Joes "spooky bald bastards" soon became my favourite way to describe them though). Then there's the fact that Simpson wasn't even in the theatrical cut. This voicework could have been done by almost anyone on the loving planet but knowing that there was just this little bit of extra effort during the development of that game to bring yet another actor back makes it all the better to replay :allears:

Sneaky edit:
He's also in Batman, credited as "Goon". That's beautiful.

It's funny because I remember, when the Special Edition became available, everyone had already seen his brief appearance on Red Dwarf as Captain Hollister and were taken back when he shows up at Hadley's Hope, basically playing the same character.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

THE BAR posted:

biologically theyre resilient but that doesnt mean without some instincts
anyway in the ultimate killer sense as far as she knew ripley was gonna do again what she did just a minute ago. go on that ship and come back loaded with weapons and ammo to kill aliens. with a new interest in eggs and the egg maker

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Also that whole thing about them being perfect organisms with no morality or emotion or whatever is 100% assumptions from a robot who has no morality or emotion himself and saw the creature as something to emulate, it's not like anyone had ever even seen a xeno at that point much less actually knew anything about them to make that kind of statement

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like how the monster concept was inspired the horrifying wasp life cycle

:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcgjKdq8yQ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMG-LWyNcAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ySwuQhruBo

etalian fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006