Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I wonder if this is the same Joel Cohen that Bill Murray signed on to do Garfield with, believing he was actually going to be working with Joel Coen of the Coen brothers

Nope, that one is an Academy Award nominee for his credit on Toy Story.

Amazingly, there’s also an Etan Cohen who wrote the miserable Will Ferrell movies Get Hard and Holmes & Watson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

great, now I have another reason to not watch the simpsons

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Two things: 1) Lisa calls Homer....Homer? 2) You're telling me that the final resulting episode, is what they wind up with after going through hundreds, even thousands of jokes, and then picking the best of the best? THOSE are the jokes that make the final cut?

AbsurdHeroine
Feb 27, 2007

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Cubone posted:

but it made me notice something about late-Groening that, once I started noticing, I couldn't stop noticing, but I don't quite know how to articulate it

to illustrate, I rewrote a scene from Anchorman in the new-simpsons' house style
please observe:

Plan Z posted:

I know exactly what you're talking about, and I completely agree and did a similar thing a while back:

I, too, know exactly what you're talking about, completely agree, AND did a similar thing in the other 'Simpsons' thread. Re: a scene from season 9's The Cartridge Family (i.e. Soccer riot->Homer buys a gun->NRA meeting at his house->Moe brings "a big bag of irregular Oreos"):

AbsurdHeroine posted:

[T]o vivisect the joke:

Moe notices the Oreo is ostensibly regular looking, so he eats it to see if it's an out-of-place normal cookie only to find out it IS irregular, but in some way not immediately apparent (i.e. taste, texture, etc.). His reaction, a concerned and regretful "Oh..." implies there is indeed something quite wrong with the Oreo despite its standard appearance. The scene hard cuts such that whatever exactly IS wrong with the cookie is left to the viewers' imaginations.

Say this joke were done in a modern episode of The Simpsons. It would go something like:

Moe: "I don't see what's wrong with this one. Oh... GOD IT IS IRREGULAR - I'M CHOKIN' ON SOMETHING VERY NOT NORMAL HERE!"
Marge (who'd left with the kids because she doesn't want a gun in the house comes back to forgive Homer and explain why somehow this was all her fault): "Moe are you okay?!"
Homer, eating the whole bag of Oreos: "He's fine."
Marge: "Maybe he's allergic to dairy!"
Lisa: "No, Mom, Oreos are actually vegan. There's no animal products in them at all."
Homer: "Really?! But they taste good! You're lying, Lisa, don't lie in front of the gun!" *he points the weapon at his daughter's head but no one reacts or cares b/c nothing matters*
Bart, holding up a newspaper: "Hey look! They're opening a new Oreo plant in Springfield in 5 minutes!'
Homer: "That's my lifelong dream! Let's go everyone!"
*Moe dies but not really, the A-story is completely abandoned, and they end up meeting, say, Cardi B who something something then rap-battles Marge*

It's not even that the humor or quality of the show has declined (tho they have); it's like the creators are bitter & spiteful over how good the show was and how much people loved it. Now they write all the gags with defiant mediocrity and explicit disdain for the audience.

The only comparison I can think of is George Lucas and the Prequels.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

emgeejay posted:

Nope, that one is an Academy Award nominee for his credit on Toy Story.

Amazingly, there’s also an Etan Cohen who wrote the miserable Will Ferrell movies Get Hard and Holmes & Watson.

As an aside, I’m a huge Ferrel/Riley fan, I love Talledega Nights and Step Brothers. Holmes & Watson wasn’t worth the 1.50 I spent at Redbox, and to be honest it feels exactly like the “Zombie Simpsons” version of Will Ferrell & JCR movies. It has the component pieces but they are all wrong. I couldn’t believe we were watching 90 minutes of two of my favorite comedians and nothing funny was happening.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

"We really are not employable anywhere else" :laffo:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

AbsurdHeroine posted:

I, too, know exactly what you're talking about, completely agree, AND did a similar thing in the other 'Simpsons' thread. Re: a scene from season 9's The Cartridge Family (i.e. Soccer riot->Homer buys a gun->NRA meeting at his house->Moe brings "a big bag of irregular Oreos"):

It's not even that the humor or quality of the show has declined (tho they have); it's like the creators are bitter & spiteful over how good the show was and how much people loved it. Now they write all the gags with defiant mediocrity and explicit disdain for the audience.

The only comparison I can think of is George Lucas and the Prequels.

It reminds me of lovely webcomic wall of text writing. It's just missing B^U mouth and a character pointing off-screen.

Want to start a "re-write a classic simpsons bit as a modern SImpsons bit" thread.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Be a lot more impressive if we could do the reverse

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Condensing the jokes would probably lop 8 minutes off of every episode, minimum. I keep getting these and I always try to go "Don't exaggerate, they don't rely on joke blobs that much," but man it really is like most of the show, now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35KG3fFyhqs&t=26s

Also bonus comment:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

My favorite bit is how the guy looks completely self conscious and deflated after building up that non joke to be so funny

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Double post

AbsurdHeroine
Feb 27, 2007

One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

Plan Z posted:

Want to start a "re-write a classic simpsons bit as a modern SImpsons bit" thread.

That would be like the first thread in 10 years I'd actually be able to contribute to proper on these D.G. forums. I have... very few talents.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I have none so you're still ahead of me

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol that the Simpsons writers consider “ivy league educated “ as something noteworthy or making you funnier .

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pulcinella di Bund posted:

lol that the Simpsons writers consider “ivy league educated “ as something noteworthy or making you funnier .

"We wrote Animal House!" doesn't play as well in 2019 as they think it does

Conan O'Brien's entire existence is based on this fragile premise

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

EugeneJ posted:

lol when mr burns visited that Ivy League campus and they complained about SJWs ruining everythingggggggg

Yet whens the last time the Simpsons told an edgy joke ? Seth McFarlanes entire head might be up his rear end but atleast family guy attempts jokes .

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember how much of Bart’s dialogue was puns and rhymes and clever wordplay?

Good times

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

EugeneJ posted:

It’s also possible that the people coming out of Harvard’s literature program weren’t completely broken by the internet and were actually smart and clever. I genuinely don’t respect the intellect of anyone within 5 years of my age, because phones and the internet have made us substantially dumber, and I’m rarely surprised.

Animal House also holds up way better than Revenge of the Nerds.

Pawg From Produce
Feb 11, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
I know I certainly don't respect your intelligence.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

of course he can't think of a single joke he's written lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The lowest point of the Simpsons was when the people who mindlessly quote the Simpsons somehow became less unfunny than the show

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Data Graham posted:

Good times

juh?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Data Graham posted:

Good times

Don;t have a cow man!!

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Bart's right, let's none of us have a cow....

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only Bart line I can think of that I still drop occasionally is "look, he thinks he's people!" but I'm a pet-lover so maybe I'm just weird

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Go to bread!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Somehow I suspect that "SMRT" wouldn't make it into a modern episode

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Iron Crowned posted:

Somehow I suspect that "SMRT" wouldn't make it into a modern episode

That's because that's when Dan Castellanta still gave a poo poo and would adlib brilliant poo poo like that. Now he's just banging his fist on the counter at Fox asking "where's my money? where's my money? where's my money?" in-between recording sessions.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Mr Burns looking at comic book guy and saying "look at that man, calmly eating candy like a Spaniard" is stuck in my brain, I don't even know what it means

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

No, I'm serious. And now it's driving me crazy that I can't think of or find any examples scrolling randomly through transcripts. But months ago when I was watching the Simpsons Randomizer while on the treadmill every day I kept noticing that Bart was getting all these wordplay lines that now I can't think of a single example of. I know it's not just that I have a raging cold and am recovering after a 10 hour flight, but I promise if I didn't I'd go run on the treadmill for however many hours it'll take in order to find some to quote through pure random walk

E: The only one I can think of is "When the Big Easy calls, you gotta accept the charges", but there are lots more where that comes from, and better, I promise you

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 28, 2019

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s also possible that the people coming out of Harvard’s literature program weren’t completely broken by the internet and were actually smart and clever. I genuinely don’t respect the intellect of anyone within 5 years of my age, because phones and the internet have made us substantially dumber, and I’m rarely surprised.

But didn't most of the Harvard dudes study poo poo like biology and computer science? I recall there were very few who actually had any formal training in writing, which was pretty mind blowing.

dracky posted:

Mr Burns looking at comic book guy and saying "look at that man, calmly eating candy like a Spaniard" is stuck in my brain, I don't even know what it means

Yeah, that's a good one. I think the joke is that Spaniards discovered chocolate when they invaded Central America.

Another one of my favorite Burnisms is "drunk as a lemur".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

But didn't most of the Harvard dudes study poo poo like biology and computer science? I recall there were very few who actually had any formal training in writing, which was pretty mind blowing.

Yeah, that's a good one. I think the joke is that Spaniards discovered chocolate when they invaded Central America.

Another one of my favorite Burnisms is "drunk as a lemur".

Chocolate was well and truly discovered by the time the Spaniards reached Central America though

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Chocolate was well and truly discovered by the time the Spaniards reached Central America though

I meant "discovered" in the same way Columbus "discovered" America.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Data Graham posted:

Good times

Woozle wuzzle?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Data Graham posted:

No, I'm serious. And now it's driving me crazy that I can't think of or find any examples scrolling randomly through transcripts. But months ago when I was watching the Simpsons Randomizer while on the treadmill every day I kept noticing that Bart was getting all these wordplay lines that now I can't think of a single example of. I know it's not just that I have a raging cold and am recovering after a 10 hour flight, but I promise if I didn't I'd go run on the treadmill for however many hours it'll take in order to find some to quote through pure random walk

E: The only one I can think of is "When the Big Easy calls, you gotta accept the charges", but there are lots more where that comes from, and better, I promise you

Are you sure it was a Simpsons randomizer?

Are you sure it wasn't, you know, NOTHING?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
In conclusion, Libya is a land of contrasts

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I still love the recurring character detail in seasons 2-4 where every time someone warns Bart that this behavior will have negative consequences for his adult life, he imagines himself as some sort of alcoholic hobo drifter dying on the side of the road and says, "Cooooooooool," in all sincerity.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I still love the recurring character detail in seasons 2-4 where every time someone warns Bart that this behavior will have negative consequences for his adult life, he imagines himself as some sort of alcoholic hobo drifter dying on the side of the road and says, "Cooooooooool," in all sincerity.

I think specifically he sees himself as john Rambo from first blood.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Atlas Hugged posted:

My favorite recurring character detail was how Barney always thought that Maggie was Bart, presumably because he can't remember the last ten years. Too subtle for current Simpsons.

Like this scene:

Would be like:

Barney: "Whoa, Marge, you gotta look out! Your little boy Bart could have been eaten by that pony!"
Marge: "Barney, that's not Bart. This is Maggie!"
Barney: "Whaaa? Maggie?" *holds at arm's length and burps in her face* "Oh yeah, I forgot!"
Marge: "Barney, I really think you should stop drinking. You can't even remember the last ten years!"
*Lisa pops up out of nowhere* "You know Mr. Gumble, your brain starts creating new neural pathways after just 48 hours of sobriety!"

Or some dumb poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Decided to watch for the first time in a long time tonight. It was a Lisa episode called Doh Canada. Good lord this show needs euthanized. Its like seeing an aged loved one who is suffering dementia so bad they don't even resemble the person they once were.