Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm getting Freespace 2 flashbacks from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm getting Freespace 2 flashbacks from that.

Dive Dive Dive?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
More the 6-kilometre monstrosities, but yeah.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Turns out the caldera is actually :derp: A BELLYBUTTON!!!!! :derp:
:aaaaa:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Turns out the caldera is actually :derp: A BELLYBUTTON!!!!! :derp:
:aaaaa:

I've kind of wondered about that, like above a certain size monsters stop being scary and just become geography. Something reaper-sized can actually notice you, which makes them scary. Something six kilometers long might eat you but that's so impersonal that it's more like getting killed by a volcano, just a hazard of being near the county-sized mouth region.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ambaire posted:

Talking about the Slime Rain? That's a boss leadup event, and if you kill enough, the King Slime spawns.

No, I’m talking about how you can’t walk around at all without stuff coming at you from the edge of the screen.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Even beyond the obvious technical limitations imposed by viewing the game through a flat screen, I don't think creature size contributes that much to intimidation (although an interface that allows for more a more realistic view would likely make the game scarier). The creature design in Subnautica as a whole is pretty doofy, like someone slapping on claws, tentacles, and tron lines in the spore character creator. Reaper leviathans are creepy because they're fast and aggressive and you usually don't see them.

With most cases it's the environment that's doing the work. Bone sharks aren't very big, but the underwater islands are still tense because it's a dark area with a sharp contrast between being lost in the twisting caves and suspended over the open abyss. The bone shark simply needs to exist to create the sense of tension.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the only actually creepy enemies in subnautica are crabsquids

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Well, I think Reaper Leviathans also legitimately sound terrifying.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Reapers aren't necessarily threatening visually really unless they're up in your face trying to eat it, but thematically their entire "hunts via echolocation, except you can hear their echolocation, and if you can hear it, that means it sees you and is coming for you" thing is just perfectly horrifying

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The audio for the rest of the critters in the game is genuinely bad for the most part

Straight up like, big cat generic sound effects/tiger snarls like it's a goddamn 50s b movie

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
What about the Reefback noise? I thought those were pretty good. A nice, booming sound that becomes more reassuring once you know what it's coming from.

I guess they could've gotten a bit more creative with it though, it's exactly what you'd expect from a big thing like that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Seeing a Reaper's shadow is something else.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Seeing a Reaper's shadow is something else.

Certainly, certain views of a reaper really accomplish that total horror feeling they want it to convey. Being in the dark depths out in the outskirts areas and having it faceplant into the ground next to you put of the pitch blackness into your cone of light, narrowly avoiding grabbing you, is really good. Also, seeing one's tail whip out of the haze in the distance like, say, by the aurora, really gives the "beware all who trespass here" vibe 1000%

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

While the warpers rapidly lost visual-scariness as I realized they mostly just sort of bob around and don't do much, I was always on edge near them because of their ability to teleport me out of the safety of my seamoth. THAT always pops into a fight-or-flight panic scramble to get back into my safety pod.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wrr posted:

While the warpers rapidly lost visual-scariness as I realized they mostly just sort of bob around and don't do much, I was always on edge near them because of their ability to teleport me out of the safety of my seamoth. THAT always pops into a fight-or-flight panic scramble to get back into my safety pod.

Nothing quite like trying to bring your prawn back from the lava castle to your cyclops, only to get chain teleported out of the prawn the instant you get back in it every time until you die.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Paracelsus posted:

Nothing quite like trying to bring your prawn back from the lava castle to your cyclops, only to get chain teleported out of the prawn the instant you get back in it every time until you die.
Did you not have a seaglide in your back pocket?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
If a warper is harassing you, just jump in his face and stab him a couple times and he'll run away.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

So I haven't actually bothered checking this since last time I played: do fauna (i.e. edible fish) in a certain area eventually respawn? Or do they get exhausted and force you to settle in a new zone after a while?

I know about the containment tanks you can build and grow stuff in, but I'm mostly wondering about early game.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

enraged_camel posted:

So I haven't actually bothered checking this since last time I played: do fauna (i.e. edible fish) in a certain area eventually respawn? Or do they get exhausted and force you to settle in a new zone after a while?

I know about the containment tanks you can build and grow stuff in, but I'm mostly wondering about early game.

They do respawn. That was a problem early on in development but they fixed it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

enraged_camel posted:

As Away said, they do respawn, but it is much more time efficient to just get to either of the major landmasses and bring back seeds for growing plants. Catching fish eats a lot of time that could be better spent actually playing the game, especially once you start living on a Cyclops.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
OTOH, a grav trap in a fish-rich area can keep you fed for a long, long time.

Just make sure to set it well away from any fart manatee pods.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Captain Invictus posted:

Reapers aren't necessarily threatening visually really unless they're up in your face trying to eat it, but thematically their entire "hunts via echolocation, except you can hear their echolocation, and if you can hear it, that means it sees you and is coming for you" thing is just perfectly horrifying

I've only really been surprised two times and caught off guard in subnatuica . The first was when a Reaper Leviathan destroyed my seamoth and killed me near the murky area behind the Aurora. I knew there was something big back there because I saw its tail earlier but I got arrogant with the seamoth for the first time and went into murky water near the Aurora and suddenly I'm dead before I know it. That legitimately had the adrenaline flowing from being all powerful in my new ship to having it destroyed by a giant unknown monster.

The other time was when I went out of the map boundaries and you get either two or three ghost leviathans chasing you. One Ghost Leviathan is a problem but still manageable. A whole pack of em though that's an "oh gently caress" moment.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

new update

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Joking about HUGE MONSTERS aside. I honestly think the scariest things they could of done was actually put an end game mandatory alien base either behind the Aurora right in Murky Reaper Town, or placed one actually in the void. Turn off the Ghost Leviathans auto spawn in like a 50 degree cone facing a base floating 500 feet into the void 1000 feet down (or put the spawn on a 25 minute delay :getin:).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Just finished my second full playthrough (400+ hours played since february, due to my bad habit of restarting games multiple times before I can bring myself to power through to completion), this one on Hardcore. Left a gift from a sea treader and a couple of gifts from the stillsuit in the time capsule to sum up my experience.

After the first glitch (teleported out of the cyclops and locked into a falling/teleport loop) that nearly killed me (barely managed to fumble for f3 and f8 to warp myself into swimming mode with 10% health left), I started backing up my save file.

Which was good, because I nearly got killed by glitches three more times (twice by reapers punting me through the ground while I was fistfighting them, once by having a seadragon headbutt me into (as in inside of) a wall in the lava castle) before the end. My intent was still that if I died a legit death, I would've erased the files, but I managed to make it to the end.

I would definitely recommend taking the suggested method I saw earlier in this thread (which I've been going through from the start over the last couple weeks, because seeing other peoples' reactions and experiences with the game is fun) of playing on survival and deleting your file if you die legit if you really want to play a hardcore run.

Also, really looking forward to the next below zero update, which is supposedly impending. It's more painful than I thought it'd be to try playing it in early access, as someone who's only played Subnautica in its currently full release/patched condition.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Joking about HUGE MONSTERS aside. I honestly think the scariest things they could of done was actually put an end game mandatory alien base either behind the Aurora right in Murky Reaper Town, or placed one actually in the void. Turn off the Ghost Leviathans auto spawn in like a 50 degree cone facing a base floating 500 feet into the void 1000 feet down (or put the spawn on a 25 minute delay :getin:).

I think they leaned a bit too much on exploration and finding new biomes and setpieces without having beacons to follow, and not enough on luring you into truly terrifying places with the feeling of impending dread whether or not you know what you're in for. Some great games work on the sense of 'you're not supposed to be here' in the final acts, Portal comes to mind.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The Eastern side of the Aurora is the one place in the Crater I haven't been to, even that aforementioned 400+ hours in (the vast majority of that being puttering around the 'surface' (rather than Lost River+ biomes).

Even in my second gamethrough where I made a specific effort to take no poo poo from Leviathans and just BEEP BEEPed my way right past them all through the Dunes, the Grand Reef, the Northern Blood Kelp Zone, and the Mountains, north, south, east, and west, giving no shits and setting my Cyclops on fire constantly all the while. Nowhere near the Aurora beyond slipping in to fix the engines and back out again.

Of course, it was near the Aurora that I first met a Reaper, so I suppose it's a form of lingering trauma of some sort, most likely. The constant earth quaking and death cries of the Aurora was scarier than the Blood Kelp Zone's ambiance, too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I swam all the way around the Aurora once in the early game and somehow didn't manage to run into a Reaper besides spotting bits of one peeking out of the water while sitting on one of the engines around the back. I thought its talon thingies were the tentacles of some giant squid creature.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

When you're swimming you have to get pretty close to a Reaper for it to aggro. The engines in your subs are what really set it off.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
So you know XCOM: Terror from the Deep and this game, they need to have a baby.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Whitenoise Poster posted:

You know that somehow they'd manage to somehow have it bug out and occasionally do the reverse, a 50 degree cone of ghost leviathan spawns perpetually behind the player.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think they leaned a bit too much on exploration and finding new biomes and setpieces without having beacons to follow, and not enough on luring you into truly terrifying places with the feeling of impending dread whether or not you know what you're in for. Some great games work on the sense of 'you're not supposed to be here' in the final acts, Portal comes to mind.
Says the ghost leviathan. You just want more snacks.

Seriously though I agree and I hope they do a better job with this in BZ. The first few hours of Subnautica were a constant roller coaster of wonder and terror, but once you have a base and a seamoth you're pretty much immune to everything but leviathans, warpers, and clipping through walls/floors. Once you have the Cyclops game engine bugs are arguably the most likely cause of death.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Seconding wanting reasons to explore the biomes other than just pure curiosity. There is some interesting stuff out there along the western ledge that I never saw until I installed the map mod and started filling it out. Finding those big wrecks is so exciting at first because the promise of finding some dope tech to scan and get access to, but they quickly become unimportant. Just put more base decoration items in or something, I dunno.

I may have said this before but shout out to subnautica for being smart enough to pop up a more-or-less fullscreen UI element with the items arranged on a grid for base building, and not the FO4 scrolling menu at the bottom.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'd love to have something along the lines of pills you can pop for minor permanent upgrades to max health, hunger, thirst, oxygen, etc.

Basically, small upgrades to your character's stats.

Or maybe a pill for eliminating pop-in. :getin:

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
There's a post kicking around on the Steam forums about an .ini mod you can do to basically force the game into loading bigger chunks of the world in one go. It dramatically increases initial loading times (and takes more processing power, obviously) but does wonders for both popin and view distance.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

There's a post kicking around on the Steam forums about an .ini mod you can do to basically force the game into loading bigger chunks of the world in one go. It dramatically increases initial loading times (and takes more processing power, obviously) but does wonders for both popin and view distance.

The initial loading times were already getting on for 5 minutes without an ssd, how badly does that increase them?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Wrr posted:

Seconding wanting reasons to explore the biomes other than just pure curiosity. There is some interesting stuff out there along the western ledge that I never saw until I installed the map mod and started filling it out. Finding those big wrecks is so exciting at first because the promise of finding some dope tech to scan and get access to, but they quickly become unimportant. Just put more base decoration items in or something, I dunno.

I may have said this before but shout out to subnautica for being smart enough to pop up a more-or-less fullscreen UI element with the items arranged on a grid for base building, and not the FO4 scrolling menu at the bottom.

In earlier builds, before wrecks were a thing, fragments were scattered across the landscape. It gave a lot more incentive to engage with the terrain, so you weren't just bouncing from wreck to wreck in your tech development phase.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Paracelsus posted:

In earlier builds, before wrecks were a thing, fragments were scattered across the landscape. It gave a lot more incentive to engage with the terrain, so you weren't just bouncing from wreck to wreck in your tech development phase.

Yeah I remember that and kind of preferred it. You really learned the layout of the terrain rather than just knowing the general direction the wrecks were found in.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Just chimming in to say I've finished Subnautica. Amazing game, agree with the general sentiment that the final biomes are annoying and I wish I could have used the Seamoth for everything, but I still enjoyed the very final segments. Cyclops was cool, but kind of unnecessary beyond being a mobile base and driving the Prawn around.

How is Below Zero shaping up? Did they give a date for its eventual release out of Early Access?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

ZearothK posted:

Just chimming in to say I've finished Subnautica. Amazing game, agree with the general sentiment that the final biomes are annoying and I wish I could have used the Seamoth for everything, but I still enjoyed the very final segments. Cyclops was cool, but kind of unnecessary beyond being a mobile base and driving the Prawn around.

How is Below Zero shaping up? Did they give a date for its eventual release out of Early Access?

I think it is intended to be in early access for a year or so, so expect the full release around the end of the year/early next year.

So far it is pretty good, there are two new vehicles and several new creatures. The map is a little smaller but overall a lot more visually interesting, and the story seems to be a higher priority.