Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Anyone else see what I assume was an A/B test on Gboard yesterday? Back to normal now.

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

No joke I thought I was just really high and forgot how to use Gboard

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

The strange thing is I would get the new emoji panel in Textra, but nothing else 🤔 and yeah, back to normal now

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Anybody use Pulse for messaging and know what setting this is I need to change. Randomly a text conversation will change color and turn the text input box full white instead of black (I'm on dark mode I think ) and I can't read what I'm typing since the text is white. Sometimes flipping around in conversations changes it back but it's weird and annoying.

Samsung Galaxy s10e if it matters

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CancerStick posted:

Anybody use Pulse for messaging and know what setting this is I need to change. Randomly a text conversation will change color and turn the text input box full white instead of black (I'm on dark mode I think ) and I can't read what I'm typing since the text is white. Sometimes flipping around in conversations changes it back but it's weird and annoying.

I use Pulse, but I've never seen that. I have seen that white text input box in Chrome for Basic Authentication pages, but never in Pulse.

I'm in dark mode as well.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Why does Google Calendar mark tomorrow as "Easter Monday", a term I have never once heard in any religious or secular context

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Why does Google Calendar mark tomorrow as "Easter Monday", a term I have never once heard in any religious or secular context

Uh it's a stat holiday here. Is it not a thing in the USA?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh it's a stat holiday here. Is it not a thing in the USA?

It's usually known as Easter Sunday in the US.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It's usually known as Easter Sunday in the US.

That's today. Easter Monday is tomorrow.

e: Ah, not a US thing, basically as thing everywhere else: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Monday

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Easter Monday is extremely holy here in atheist Norway where the religion is time off from work to ski.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
America: It's Earth Day!
Rest of the World: Easter II: Electric Boogaloo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

America: It's Earth Day!
Rest of the World: Easter II: Electric Boogaloo

It's "earth day" here too but it's not the stat holiday....

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

My father claims to be having an issue where Google Play on both his phone (Galaxy S8) and his tablet (something Samsung I'm sure) is giving a server error any time he opens the app. He's cleared data on the app, rebooted the phone, and even removed and re-added the Google account but it's still doing it. Has anybody had that happen and know how it gets fixed? The fact that it happens on multiple devices makes me wonder if it's something on Google's end?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My father claims to be having an issue where Google Play on both his phone (Galaxy S8) and his tablet (something Samsung I'm sure) is giving a server error any time he opens the app. He's cleared data on the app, rebooted the phone, and even removed and re-added the Google account but it's still doing it. Has anybody had that happen and know how it gets fixed? The fact that it happens on multiple devices makes me wonder if it's something on Google's end?

Not that this helps you but it could also be something with the network they're both connected to.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Not that this helps you but it could also be something with the network they're both connected to.

I considered that but he says it happens on LTE too.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

CancerStick posted:

my group conversations change colors seemingly at random but I've never had the text input box change on me

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

e: Ah, not a US thing, basically as thing everywhere else: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Monday
Learn something new every day; actually was just listening to a Canadian podcast from today and they brought this up too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I considered that but he says it happens on LTE too.

Okay this might end up causing other problems but your next steps are factory resets so I guess it doesn't matter. You're going to want to clear data for Play Services.

What's wrong, and what needs to be fixed, is you need a new device ID. Given that it's happening on both make me think they're mixed up but it doesn't matter, the one that exists on both devices is bad or is identical so you really don't have a choice beyond starting over.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

My stupid loving car, despite being very modern and neat, sends a "play" command to my Android when the BT connects, and there is no way to turn this off from the car settings. Even walking past my car will often cause my phone to start playing a podcast in my pocket.

Is there a good way to do block the autoplay in Android settings, or Tasker even?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Was wondering why Shazam now only offers to open songs in Apple Music exclusively, until I remembered Apple bought them. What's an alternative service that works as well?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Combat Pretzel posted:

Was wondering why Shazam now only offers to open songs in Apple Music exclusively, until I remembered Apple bought them. What's an alternative service that works as well?

I've been using Soundhound for this for nearly a decade. Only it doesn't support that I've seen which Shazam does are those terrible ad tie-in things.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm not sure which stock Google app it belongs to (Search? Music? Assistant?), but one of them has a listen-for-music widget. I haven't used it or Shazam much, so I'm not in a position to compare quality.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

I'm not sure which stock Google app it belongs to (Search? Music? Assistant?), but one of them has a listen-for-music widget. I haven't used it or Shazam much, so I'm not in a position to compare quality.

I'm curious how good this is compared to Shazam or soundhound. The Google one is only recently available in Canada it seems.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

fishmech posted:

I've been using Soundhound for this for nearly a decade. Only it doesn't support that I've seen which Shazam does are those terrible ad tie-in things.

Yeah, once Apple bought Shazam, I switched to Soundhound, and haven't looked back.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm curious how good this is compared to Shazam or soundhound. The Google one is only recently available in Canada it seems.

My experience with it is that it takes more time to get it going and actually return a song name than the SoundHound app does, when I'm actively searching.

However its ability to match a smaller selection of popular songs passively and show it in the notification bar is pretty neat and SoundHound doesn't really do that.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
Assistant does it. Just say/type "what song is this" and it'll give the name and sometimes lyrics.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

St_Ides posted:

Assistant does it. Just say/type "what song is this" and it'll give the name and sometimes lyrics.

It often shows an "identify this song" button for me already when I'm near music and press the assistant dots.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I literally just opened a song in Spotify using Shazam, so...

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Anyone else use Mood messenger? I've been having an issue with the floating notifications/quick reply not showing. I think it started within the last few days.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Echophonic posted:

Anyone else use Mood messenger? I've been having an issue with the floating notifications/quick reply not showing. I think it started within the last few days.

Never heard of that app until now. Given the number of recent 1 star reviews, it's likely an issue with the app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Not sure how many people have been following the DO Global click fraud case but it's resulted in the removal of ES File Manager from the Play Store. People affected should spend those survey dollars on Solid Explorer.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

LastInLine posted:

Not sure how many people have been following the DO Global click fraud case but it's resulted in the removal of ES File Manager from the Play Store. People affected should spend those survey dollars on Solid Explorer.

What is the difference between Solid Explorer and Solid Explorer Classic? Both appear to have a free and paid version.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Annath posted:

What is the difference between Solid Explorer and Solid Explorer Classic? Both appear to have a free and paid version.

The non-Classic was the first one. The project was redone from scratch a few years ago and Classic was left on the Play Store while the redeveloped one worked toward feature parity. Now I imagine it's just there for people who hate change or who paid for it originally and refuse to do so again.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Solid Explorer is great. Works great for getting stuff onto Android TVs as well.

And the Mood thing seems like it's just a bug. Works as normal if the chat heads are up, so must just be some notification weirdness.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Echophonic posted:

Solid Explorer is great. Works great for getting stuff onto Android TVs as well.

And the Mood thing seems like it's just a bug. Works as normal if the chat heads are up, so must just be some notification weirdness.

Is Mood Messenger... iMessage for Android? That's sure what it looks like.

It definitely doesn't have the look and feel of something I'd trust with that level of access but it looks like it's exactly what everyone wishes we had.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Haven't ever used iMessage, but I Mood for the customization of conversations, mainly.

Haven't noticed anything suspect in terms of how it behaves after a year or so of use. They even offer encryption in their premium package (which I have not ponied up for). I'm still tempted to switch to Signal at some point, though, to assuage the digital privacy wonk in the back of my head.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 28, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Echophonic posted:

They even offer encryption in their premium package

:allears:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm assuming it's for the direct messaging it offers, not SMS. Also no idea if it's legit or not, obviously. I haven't done a ton of research into it since I only use it for texting.

What's the current hotness for Messaging replacements, then? My previous one was Textra, which I liked well enough. Buddy of mine's big into Signal, too.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 28, 2019

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Echophonic posted:

I'm assuming it's for the direct messaging it offers, not SMS. Also no idea if it's legit or not, obviously. I haven't done a ton of research into it since I only use it for texting.

What's the current hotness for Messaging replacements, then? My previous one was Textra, which I liked well enough. Buddy of mine's big into Signal, too.

Depends partially on where you are in the world. Here, the answer is WhatsApp. But I understand it's not big in the US? No one here uses Signal or Telegram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Echophonic posted:

Related, it will steam content on SMBv2 shares to apps that only support SMBv1, like VLC.