Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Bagheera posted:

Is there a good Internet post or book about pairing food? Something with tips like, "If the meat is spicy, the carbs should be creamy" or "Pork can be served with sweet fruits. Beef is good with root vegetables." Something like that?

It's not exactly perfect, but The Flavor Bible is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Also just trying and failing a bunch on your own is super rewarding really. Flavor bible good too.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
It's not going to tell you NOT to serve lemon meringue pie next to boiled radishes.

If the flavor Bible isn't what you're looking for, try considering origin cuisines.

In the meal you're describing you've got african, italian, french, and southern US. You might luck into an interesting flavor combo doing that, but one tactic could be to look to the origin culture of your main for inspiration on sides

E: brevity/tautology

fart store fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Apr 28, 2019

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

The Vegetarian Food Bible is also a nice variation.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks. I'm skimming a sample of The Flavor Bible now.

An observation and tip for beginner cooks (please discuss): Recipes with very few ingredients are often harder to make than recipes with many ingredients. Cacio E Pepe; most souffles; almost any kind of yeast bread; all of these are much more difficult to make than lasagna, chicken salad, or a chocolate cake.

With just a few ingredients, the recipe relies heavily on technique, and any flaws in your technique (didn't emulsify the cheese and water; eggs whisked too much; didn't knead properly) are magnified. When you have a huge number of ingredients (the Guy Fieri technique), the variety of spices, meats, and other ingredients masks any over- or undercooked items.

There are lots of exceptions to this rule, of course. Generally speaking, however, I advise cooking newbies to avoid clickbait like "Thie dish comes together with just four ingredients!"and instead go full Fieri.

Your thoughts?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

New cooks shouldn't be wary of simple dishes either, though. You're not gonna learn a technique unless you gently caress up a few times. And usually the gently caress ups are still absolutely tasty even if they're butt ugly or collapsed.

Also, hot sauce covers a multitude of cooking sins.

Also also, loving up a plate of cacio e pepe or a loaf of bread is like $4 in ingredients, it's pretty cheap to gently caress up when you're not in a commercial kitchen.

edit: everyone should ignore the clickbait recipes

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Bagheera posted:

An observation and tip for beginner cooks (please discuss): Recipes with very few ingredients are often harder to make than recipes with many ingredients. Cacio E Pepe; most souffles; almost any kind of yeast bread; all of these are much more difficult to make than lasagna, chicken salad, or a chocolate cake.

With just a few ingredients, the recipe relies heavily on technique, and any flaws in your technique (didn't emulsify the cheese and water; eggs whisked too much; didn't knead properly) are magnified. When you have a huge number of ingredients (the Guy Fieri technique), the variety of spices, meats, and other ingredients masks any over- or undercooked items.

Your thoughts?

I think the number of ingredients is not really key, it's just the case that many things that have a complex preparation also have few ingredients. Sure, something like scrambled egg can benefit hugely from proper technique, but as long as you don't burn it it's probably still good. So I'd call it a beginner friendly recipe.

One problem for beginners is that recipes with many ingredients require you to have all those ingredients, and then maybe only use a little bit of it, so if it turns out you don't like the dish, you now have all this Garam Masala / Dashi / celery lying around and don't know anything else to do with it.

I guess if I had to give tips for beginners, I'd say build on dishes you already know, ingredients you're already familiar with, and techniques you've done before. And maybe add one or two new things at a time.

It's probably hard to judge whether a recipe has any steps that are easy to mess up, if you haven't tried it. Beginners just have to trial and error it out?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bagheera posted:

Your thoughts?

I don't think it's specifically the number of ingredients, but you're right that very simple dishes can be real tough. You also need the best ingredients, you don't have much stuff covering your sins. Sort of Japanese/Italianfood.txt

Of course, the benefit of quick and simple recipes is you can do them a lot and learn. It's tough when you gently caress up a five hour multi step braise thing to motivate yourself to do it again, but for something like a stir fry you can bang that poo poo out in 20 minutes every day for a month and really get a handle on it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I disagree, starting with simple stuff is cool and good. Roast a Bouchon chicken. One ingredient and you basically can't gently caress it up, and everyone will be impressed you roasted a chicken as if it's somehow hard or complicated. Cooking in general is seen as way more intimidating than it should be. Can you read the back of a box of brownies and set a timer? Congratulations, you can make a ton of poo poo.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think it's specifically the number of ingredients, but you're right that very simple dishes can be real tough. You also need the best ingredients, you don't have much stuff covering your sins. Sort of Japanese/Italianfood.txt
Kinda. Something like tako nigiri is going to be loving terrible if the raw ingredients are bad. But a basic red sauce is dead simple and you can get good-as-you-need tomatoes, garlic, onions, basil, &c from most grocer's. Same with, say, an al burro or aglio e olio or whatever. Like you really need next-level ingredients to get a next-level version of the dish, but they're super simple recipes that are great even with everyday, non-specialty grocery store ingredients.

I mean yeah, all else being equal a simpler recipe hangs more on the quality of the ingredients, but getting the good quality ingredients for a lot of simple recipes isn't challenging, even for a beginner cook.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I think you can probably draw a line between something like cacio e pepe and saltimbocca. Both are highly reliant on fundamental skills, but cacio e pepe, as mentioned above, is far cheaper. The benefit of cooking these simple, technical dishes is that it’s often not too hard to read what went wrong—I let the pasta cool to much, I over bloomed the pepper, I put the Pecorino in while the pasta was too hot—that’s a great way to actually focus on skill building while learning to cook. If you can do it cheaply that’s a huge help to a beginner chef.

I focus on cacio e pepe because it’s one of the first full meals I learnt to cook as a kid, and learning how to handle a pan on and off the heat during my various fuckups has probably taught me as much about handling pans as anything.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
I just chipped my tooth on a tiny rock I apparently missed while rinsing and quickly sifting through a big rear end batch of quinoa.

How do i, uhhh, not do that? Am I rinsing it wrong or do I need to sort through it grain by grain or something?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Throw out the quinoa and get a cheese burger and fries

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I don't know about quinoa (never cooked it), but you should definitely pick through legumes pretty well. I would estimate I find a rock in a bag of legumes maybe every year or so. Pick through and pitch bad looking beans and any other non-legume matter (I get wheat berries occasionally and one time I found a weird donut-shaped seed). I usually just mix the beans around, take out a tablespoon or two in my hands, place it back if it looks good, and repeat until I'm satisfied. Eventually you find the weird stuff, so maybe that method would work for quinoa too. If it's obviously a rock you'll find it relatively quickly, your brain is pretty good at that kind of pattern recognition.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Eeyo posted:

I don't know about quinoa (never cooked it), but you should definitely pick through legumes pretty well. I would estimate I find a rock in a bag of legumes maybe every year or so. Pick through and pitch bad looking beans and any other non-legume matter (I get wheat berries occasionally and one time I found a weird donut-shaped seed). I usually just mix the beans around, take out a tablespoon or two in my hands, place it back if it looks good, and repeat until I'm satisfied. Eventually you find the weird stuff, so maybe that method would work for quinoa too. If it's obviously a rock you'll find it relatively quickly, your brain is pretty good at that kind of pattern recognition.

For legumes and stuff I generally pour it onto a baking tray so it's all spread out and do a quick look through.
For Most dried beans this doesn't seem to be needed except for the rare bad bean, but goddamn if I don't find a rock or some piece of weird poo poo every time with lentils.

It's probably that i just half-assed it today because I was cooking up a huge batch of it, but I'm this close to throwing the rest of the bag out and giving up on fun grains.

Casu Marzu posted:

Throw out the quinoa and get a cheese burger and fries

Fair.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

quinoa is sawdust and gross

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Casu Marzu posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of Korean potato salad.

Haven't used this recipe specifically, but it looks pclose to what I do.

Thanks, both totally different ends of the spectrum, and both interesting takes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Bagheera posted:

Thanks. I'm skimming a sample of The Flavor Bible now.

There are lots of exceptions to this rule, of course. Generally speaking, however, I advise cooking newbies to avoid clickbait like "Thie dish comes together with just four ingredients!"and instead go full Fieri.

Your thoughts?

I tend to think yeast bread is one of the easiest of human cuisines. Doing it -well- takes a lot of time and effort to get your technique, but doing it in a way that is edible is incredibly easy. It's four ingredients in a fairly forgiving ratio, and if you can measure and operate a timer you're golden.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's everyone's favorite slaw recipes? Tonight is burger night.

Edit: While I'm here; favorite cheese and toppings for burgers? I'm feeling some Bleu.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 29, 2019

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Edit: While I'm here; favorite cheese and toppings for burgers? I'm feeling some Bleu.

For slaw, definitely Chef Steps brussels sprout, cider vinegar and mustard slaw. Super fast, super easy, tangy, light, just all around super good.

For a burger with blue cheese, my go to is blue cheese, chopped/pureed chipotle in adobo, bacon, lettuce, mayo.

Edit: Now with link! https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/a-zesty-brussels-slaw-you-can-whip-up-in-a-flash

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 29, 2019

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I like the combination of blue cheese and caramelized onion jam

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Wife and I have been really enjoying just throwing a ton of kimchi on our burgers. Bottom to top: bun, lettuce, Patty, kimchi, something spicy if your kimchi isn't, kewpie, bun.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My favorite slaw is to make curtido instead.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i want to make some fries the next time we have burger night.

i have two quarts of beef fat that i rendered out of brisket trimmings.

I dont really want to do a double fry (one fry is enough hassle). should i hand cut them myself or can i do pretty well frying frozen fries?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

dead simple and so good:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/vinegar-coleslaw-recipe.html

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

I dont really want to do a double fry (one fry is enough hassle). should i hand cut them myself or can i do pretty well frying frozen fries?

dead simple and so good:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/06/vinegar-coleslaw-recipe.html

If you get frozen fries they will have been fried once already.

Frying twice beats fresh cut any day of the week, imo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
What would you do if you were cleaning out your pantry and found about a cup of dry black-eyed peas (the legume, not the music group)?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Hoppin John and corn bread

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Thanks for all the replies. I went with the Chef Steps version and boy was it good.

Also settled for havarti, bacon and "special sauce*" on one burger, blue cheese and the caramelized onion jam on the other. Store bought as I didn't have that much time to make my own. Both great. Toasting the buns in butter was also key.

*Just ketchup, mayo, relish, garlic powder and paprika.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

C-Euro posted:

What would you do if you were cleaning out your pantry and found about a cup of dry black-eyed peas (the legume, not the music group)?

I'd cook them with kale or collard greens to make something southern style like this

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

There was also that cold start method Cook's Illustrated came up with a decade ago (reproduction here). Basically, you're supposed to use Yukon Golds (the medium starch content of Yukons compared to russets or others works better apparently), then you just heat the batons starting in cold oil until they're done, with some appropriate stirring at the right time as the recipe describes. As I recall it made reasonable fries, but that was like a decade ago during my wild college days so I'm not sure if I could tell up from down back then. If your burger night is a guest thing then test it out first, but if it's just you/your family/your SO then it'll probably do fine even if it's not perfect fries.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Eeyo posted:

There was also that cold start method Cook's Illustrated came up with a decade ago (reproduction here). Basically, you're supposed to use Yukon Golds (the medium starch content of Yukons compared to russets or others works better apparently), then you just heat the batons starting in cold oil until they're done, with some appropriate stirring at the right time as the recipe describes. As I recall it made reasonable fries, but that was like a decade ago during my wild college days so I'm not sure if I could tell up from down back then. If your burger night is a guest thing then test it out first, but if it's just you/your family/your SO then it'll probably do fine even if it's not perfect fries.

the cold start method works really well for the amount of effort it takes, but I'd like to correct them on one aspect: maris pipers make the best fries, not yukon golds

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like to make my own peanut butter and usually add just a pinch of salt. Mistakes were made, and now I'm looking for good ways to use up a jar of quite heavily pre-salted peanut puree. It's perfectly edible, just doesn't need any (or much) additional salt, and I don't want to bring it near jelly.

... I guess I could just add the same amount ground peanuts without any salt, couldn't I. Still, I've been meaning to get peanut recipes, good time as any.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 30, 2019

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like to make my own peanut butter and usually add just a pinch of salt. Mistakes were made, and now I'm looking for good ways to use up a jar of quite heavily pre-salted peanut puree. It's perfectly edible, just doesn't need any (or much) additional salt, and I don't want to bring it near jelly.

... I guess I could just add the same amount ground peanuts without any salt, couldn't I. Still, I've been meaning to get peanut recipes, good time as any.

Make peanut curry!
Or mix it with some sesame oil and soy sauce and chilis and eat it with Chinese noodles.
Or forget the noodles and use it as a hotpot dip.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Got a bottle of smoked soy sauce the other day, but have literally no idea what to do with it. Thoughts?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

big black turnout posted:

Got a bottle of smoked soy sauce the other day, but have literally no idea what to do with it. Thoughts?

pork belly everything

Also fish of most kinds are good smoked and also with soy sauce so smoked soy sauce might be good???

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

This recipe comes to mind: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/west-african-inspired-vegan-peanut-sweet-potato-soup-recipe.html

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My Lovely Horse posted:

Satay.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
satay does not call for much salt

http://shesimmers.com/2009/03/how-to-make-thai-peanut-sauce-my-moms.html

quote:

One 13.5-ounce can of full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk
2 ounces (approximately ¼ cup) of Thai red (mom’s preference and mine too) or Massaman curry paste (milder but flavorful)
¾ cup unsweetened (natural) creamy peanut butter (Do not use regular peanut butter or anything with added emulsifiers. It must be the type of natural peanut butter that comes with natural peanut oil on top and no sugar added. I often use Smucker's.)
½ tablespoon salt
¾ cup sugar
2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar or white vinegar (Do not use white wine, red wine, balsamic, or anything else — not even rice vinegar)
½ cup water

you should dilute it with nonsalted peanutbutter and then use it for whatever.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

big black turnout posted:

Using it as a marinade in tofu sounds delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What do you guys use to clean your cabinets and range top? Right above my range/microwave seems to be where all the oil ends up going and the cabinets and top of the microwave have a greasy film to them despite not doing much frying at all. Any suggestions on cleaning products?