Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
it's ok that you didnt read the text, you'll know for next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Okay? The cast still doesn’t say prime and it’s still wrong. Bosses say meaningless poo poo all the time.

The boss literally says what to do for that entire thing. It's very common for bosses to say things relevant to the fight too. You really shouldn't ignore it because it often gives hints as to the mechanics without needing to be hit by them.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

If I want to be mad about math bot I’m gonna be mad god dammit. I have defended far dumber arguments in this thread.

I even killed a clown god I know how to play this game. Reading boss text is rarely more useful than looking at the markers and cast names.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 27, 2019

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
we did it, first try even

big thanks to mord, alris and cirina for slogging it in one sitting

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 27, 2019

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

ImpAtom posted:

The boss literally says what to do for that entire thing. It's very common for bosses to say things relevant to the fight too. You really shouldn't ignore it because it often gives hints as to the mechanics without needing to be hit by them.

To be fair, 1 not being considered a prime is also a math shorthand thing because otherwise you'd have to notate all primes as like, Prime / 1 / 1 x 1 etc. or whatever.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
O12S is still a fiddly fight, but we're managing to (usually) clear it at least once a night. Soon that dumb mount will be mine, and maybe I can talk this static into helping me take revenge on Neo Exdeath afterwards!

Also, the SCH Omega Codex looks really, really good, especially dyed Pure White.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
HoH is both amazing and exhausting to do a full run in one sitting.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I got to PotD floor ~173 before. I didn't really enjoy myself because my anxiety was bursting the entire time. I imagine HoH would be a bit better if only due to the halved amount of floors required to traverse, but I'm still absolutely uninterested in subjecting myself to that kind of pain again.

Similarly, I really want to get a bunch of stuff with wolf marks, but all forms of PVP are boring or a pain. I'll force myself through that poo poo eventually, but boy does it suck how SE just really wants to force PVP on the players despite it not being popular in the slightest.

keirharder
Jul 22, 2017

The Grimace posted:

I got to PotD floor ~173 before. I didn't really enjoy myself because my anxiety was bursting the entire time. I imagine HoH would be a bit better if only due to the halved amount of floors required to traverse, but I'm still absolutely uninterested in subjecting myself to that kind of pain again.

Similarly, I really want to get a bunch of stuff with wolf marks, but all forms of PVP are boring or a pain. I'll force myself through that poo poo eventually, but boy does it suck how SE just really wants to force PVP on the players despite it not being popular in the slightest.

Actually pvp is fun and it’s good that it has unique rewards to incentivise people playing the content. The only bad part of pvp is getting stuck with a dud team but in the flip side playing a dud team and winning a game in under 30 seconds is pretty great.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why didn't SE put an Artisan's equivalent for gatherers on the GC vendors :arghfist: :saddowns:

The hat is there!

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I think Sqenix designed the 24 mans with two goals: acknowledge that a lot of people can’t play video games, and make the fights a spectacle.

So I think the mechanics are designed to be big, flashy, and a little overwhelming, because a few people dieing to mechanics won’t threaten a clear too much. They’re all super forgiving fights.

Which isn’t too say people being bad won’t make fights miserable. Construct 8 is tuned for people keeping their math stacks. If everyone is dieing, he takes an EXTRA long time because less people will have the damage buff.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Holy loving poo poo, I just did the SB WAR job quests, that ruled

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

Logged in for the first time in... forever.

Found out my game-wife sent me a message 1446 days ago.

I chuckled.

*its a chub

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

willcrouch posted:

I chuckled.

*its a chub

Well it's no Giant Donko.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

willcrouch posted:

I chuckled.

*its a chub

Take better care of your wife.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the only thing that annoys me about this raid tier is that i wish i could zoom out more, i've got a toaster that runs the game well but only at pretty low resolutions and I can never tell what's going on, especially with what direction famfrit is facing for his gently caress-off wave or the phase of Ultima where all the old bosses stack their mechanics together

willcrouch
Jul 2, 2007

Verranicus posted:

Take better care of your wife.

I'm a monster. Abandoned her for 4 years.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm a few recipes away from having self-sufficiently crafted every non-master recipe on CRP and getting the fancy weapon. Which crafter should I do next?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

willcrouch posted:

I chuckled.

*its a chub

Stealing this.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Just got cloud's outfit from Advent Children sent to me? Is this just something you get after playing for so long?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's a veterans reward

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cool, thanks

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX7yp25Dlyc

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I watched the whole dang thing and didnt see Zenos, wtf

e: what emote is Hien doing at 3:36?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Countblanc posted:

e: what emote is Hien doing at 3:36?

If I'm not mistaken, it's part of Eastern Stretch, Mogstation for like $7.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZexUHAUptY

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
nice, i shall not be buying it

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
If you want to see Eastern Stretch in motion, it's one of many things I've made a double-speed gif of.

Edit: Noticed the video after I posted, but gently caress it, have the gif anyway.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Some time ago, I made a bet that if a certain plot-important character didn't die by the end of Stormblood, I'd fantasia to Highlady. I was completely wrong AS USUAL, so I decided to remake my character from waaaaaaaaay back in the open beta.

From the optimistic, hopeful days of 2013:

From the hellworld of 2019, where none of my glamours look quite right now:

The person I bet with sort of disappeared, so I figured Fanta'ing my alt was fair game. :v: To be fair, I do need to get her caught up in time for Shadowbringers, while my main isn't doing much but raid logging and making piles of money off of Balmung tourists. from people cruising over to use our market board, you horny idiots.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Some time ago, I made a bet that if a certain plot-important character didn't die by the end of Stormblood, I'd fantasia to Highlady. I was completely wrong AS USUAL, so I decided to remake my character from waaaaaaaaay back in the open beta.

From the optimistic, hopeful days of 2013:

From the hellworld of 2019, where none of my glamours look quite right now:

The person I bet with sort of disappeared, so I figured Fanta'ing my alt was fair game. :v: To be fair, I do need to get her caught up in time for Shadowbringers, while my main isn't doing much but raid logging and making piles of money off of Balmung tourists. from people cruising over to use our market board, you horny idiots.

Out of curiosity, which plot-important character was it?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Game needs more highladies and roe ladies, so I approve.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

What's the best way to go about leveling, generally speaking? I've been playing through the story on my main job, and have made my way to the low 30's there. I've been skipping the various side-quests in the area so that when I want to level my other jobs I've got a source of XP waiting but I'm really not sure now if that's sensible in the least. I guess my real question is whether there are enough sources of XP that I shouldn't worry about every other job I haven't put time into yet? What is the best way to go back and level jobs? Is it just grinding out Levelmetes or is there something better that I just haven't come across yet in my long, three-week career in this game.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

rantmo posted:

What's the best way to go about leveling, generally speaking? I've been playing through the story on my main job, and have made my way to the low 30's there. I've been skipping the various side-quests in the area so that when I want to level my other jobs I've got a source of XP waiting but I'm really not sure now if that's sensible in the least. I guess my real question is whether there are enough sources of XP that I shouldn't worry about every other job I haven't put time into yet? What is the best way to go back and level jobs? Is it just grinding out Levelmetes or is there something better that I just haven't come across yet in my long, three-week career in this game.

Dungeons mostly. Do your leveling duty roulette for decent xp. Also you should at least do any side quest marked with a blue + since they unlock extra stuff. I wouldn't bother saving any side quests for other jobs tbh.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

rantmo posted:

There's always valid leveling routes. Some of them can be grindy, others lose value after doing them once per day, but don't worry about saving side quests for alts.

Specific questions -

-Leves are best used on crafting classes (and gatherers until 50-70). Beast tribe quests help here too. There's more efficient ways to level combat classes.
-FATEs are okay for combat classes, and at lower levels they're one of the better sources for XP + Grand Company seals. At later levels, there's better ROI on XP from other sources and on GC from turning in greens/blues from dungeons.
-The daily Leveling Roulette is usually an excellent source of XP at all level ranges, especially later.
-Other roulettes open up at higher levels - the big ones for leveling are Alliance (lv 50+) and Main Story (lv 50). Trials (50+) can be a nice quick shot of XP, but sometimes folks struggle with mechanics.
-The highest level dungeon you can do at the time is usually good XP for tanks & healers due to queue times. It's not bad for DPS classes if you do something else during the wait time, like leveling crafters/gatherers.
-Heavensward and Stormblood beast tribe quests are efficient. Each can be unlocked after finishing the respective launch campaign but can be used to level classes through the expansion's content; e.g. finish Heavensward leveling content, unlock beast tribes, do daily beast tribe quests on any combat class from 50-60 (technically can do them from 60-70 but the XP is nerfed after 59).
-Heavensward and Stormblood also have daily hunts at various level ranges within that expansion. Quite nice when coupled with beast tribes, since you're already traveling a bit.
-Palace of the Dead (1-60) and Heaven-on-High (60-70) can be good for grinding, especially for combat classes since the groups are made of any of the 4 roles. PotD floors 51-60 and HoH floors 21-30 are the most efficient ranges. The nice thing is that your regular gear doesn't matter; there's a simple leveling & gearing system within each. Can get repetitive, even if it's procedurally-generated.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Grinding up to HoH and getting the Gyr Abanian hair myself would probably take me less time than it would to get the millions needed to buy it off the MB. I want that big, floofy ponytail so bad. :negative:

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
*edit - nm, prices seem to have jumped!

isk fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 28, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Do a lot of people still play this game? I was thinking of getting the complete edition, so I can live my dragoon dreams.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Yes. And it will get even busier when many people return for the expansion in a few months.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Do a lot of people still play this game? I was thinking of getting the complete edition, so I can live my dragoon dreams.

iirc its the second most popular mmo in the west

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The game seems to be getting busier and not hitting the patch lulls as of late. There's roughly ~100-150 goons on at any given time, a significant portion of them are brand new to the game. The combination of BFA's, uh... "reception" , and the Twitch Prime free copy of ARR, there's been a decent uptick in new players.

There's also an expansion in 8 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Countblanc posted:

iirc its the second most popular mmo in the west

With how many people seem to be ditching WoW I think "Second most" might change.