Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
You can instantly retreat to boats if you're in a battle and it's not going well. Just right-click on the boat while you're fighting, and poof, you get the battle-end screen, your army instantly moves to the boat, and you can sail away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

It's definitely not stellaris mk2, stellaris was fundamentally broken. This more reminds me of ck2 at launch.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I'm stuck with princeps civitatis (if you appoint a dictator and he refuses to step down the law gets changed automatically) and want to change to a less tyrannical one but the entirety of the populists will not vote to change as it increases populist influence. None of the other parties even reach 50% of the votes (I'm friend with all the party leaders), my own party has all the + except "friends with the party leader" (cause I'm the party leader) and it only adds up to 56% of the party voting aye.

What I'm saying is that this is an extremely accurate representation of democracy A+++ would cause a constitutional crisis again.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hold up :thunk:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

It's pretty solid I think. Don't really get how the game feels empty/lifeless for some people. I'm playing Epirus frantically trying to prevent mega-Macedon and mega-Etruria from dunking on me together while I slowly build enough strength to take one of them out. It's gotta be Etruria because stupid Macedon is guaranteed by Egypt and Seleucia...

There's a few problems which I think are making people have a particularly sour experience with Imperator even though my own personal take is the same as yours; this is the best game, on release, that Paradox have ever made. But if you play as basically any of the major powers the game is stale as poo poo and has absolutely no challenge, and playing Rome is like playing France in EU4 only you have a vassal army backing you up on top of your relatively huge army. And then on other parts of the map, as soon as you get up to a mid sized regional power the same thing happens because everyone else you border is minor weak tribes and the AI is horrible at blobbing at the moment.

The best possible game experience is starting as a small to medium sized power somewhere between Illyria and Central Asia, and Greece in particular has a brilliant diplomatic experience with you having to pick off bits and pieces of city states between the Diadochi all guaranteeing everything.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Ah, a centrist.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
has anyone seen the AI use a tactic besides the default Shock yet? I haven't and so building my armies around Bottleneck/Phalanx has helped me dunk on Greeks

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Autism Sneaks posted:

has anyone seen the AI use a tactic besides the default Shock yet? I haven't and so building my armies around Bottleneck/Phalanx has helped me dunk on Greeks

i've seen skirmish and bottleneck as well

gonna hop on the 'good feels' train, I'm having a lot of fun so far. I just popped a civil war in my Syracuse -> Magna Graecia game after my surgeon (whose loyalty I hadn't checked) gave my primary heir brain damage. Unfortunately his younger brother was a war hero and Olympic victor, and after their father died things got hairy fast

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 28, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Autism Sneaks posted:

I had them constantly default to whatever is the one that totally fucks shock, envelopment I think? Which made me very sad because I forgot to set tactics on some armies.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Alright im finally gonna dive into this game today, gonna do the tutorial and then probably dive into Carthage.

How is Carthage? I know people are saying the real action is in greece and the middle east but Carthage is in a really interesting spot without having quite the obvious expansion path that Rome has.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

There's a few problems which I think are making people have a particularly sour experience with Imperator even though my own personal take is the same as yours; this is the best game, on release, that Paradox have ever made. But if you play as basically any of the major powers the game is stale as poo poo and has absolutely no challenge, and playing Rome is like playing France in EU4 only you have a vassal army backing you up on top of your relatively huge army. And then on other parts of the map, as soon as you get up to a mid sized regional power the same thing happens because everyone else you border is minor weak tribes and the AI is horrible at blobbing at the moment.

The best possible game experience is starting as a small to medium sized power somewhere between Illyria and Central Asia, and Greece in particular has a brilliant diplomatic experience with you having to pick off bits and pieces of city states between the Diadochi all guaranteeing everything.

I haven't played a single major power yet. Finding it stale regardless.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm loving it :)

It is a bit too easy right now, I mean the blobbing part if you start as a big fish. Internal management is cool, lacking a bit of meat on the bones but there is plenty to do in Rome at least, between families, research, Senate, laws and events. Managing tyranny is cool, AE is... weird. Not sure what to think about it yet, mainly because I never went over 50 so have no idea what the badboy penalty really is.

The biggest problem is, when you're a major power, the attention tax to minmax your stuff is a bit excessive... Converting/assimilating hundreds of pops without a batch command or other tools gets tiresome and the province policies get reassigned randomly by new governors so you have to go around and reset it to what you want Everytime you assign a new one, which sucks

Diplomacy seems to work quite well, big alliance/guarantee/defensive networks often make you change your mind about the next target, though I miss more ways to make friends - everybody seems to hate me forever, ok I am blobbing like a madman but you would think at least someone would go looking for Rome's protection, but they usually rely on other lovely tribes and get inevitably conquered by me or other big guys

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Is there a tipping point where tyranny becomes an issue? I'm perfectly positioned to roll up a defensive league to my south like a carpet and get a nice chunk of territory, but I'm like two votes shy of them agreeing to it without me having to force it through. Highly tempted to just tell them to suck it and war dec anyway, but I'm already sitting at 4 tyranny from shuffling governor policies around and this would bump me up to 9.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

AnEdgelord posted:

Alright im finally gonna dive into this game today, gonna do the tutorial and then probably dive into Carthage.

How is Carthage? I know people are saying the real action is in greece and the middle east but Carthage is in a really interesting spot without having quite the obvious expansion path that Rome has.

I started as Carthage and I am having fun. Things have been easy except for a few close calls, I am literally drowning in money. Etruria kicked Romes rear end though so I didn't get to do the whole "Carthage into Rome" thing :(

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Characters live wayyyyyy too long. You end up with characters living well into their 70s constantly. In my Thrace game I dont think I had a ruler die before 70 once, which ended up being annoying as I had nice long stretch of rulers with no points in civic so my civic mana generation sucked hard for a good long stretch of the game.

Characters living forever also seems to go along with an issue that I've been having. I'm bad at explaining poo poo so its hard to describe. But it feels like the game makes characters in batches, like its trying to simulate generations but its failing at it. You end up with a country filled with old guys with no stats and then they all just die off at the same time and suddenly you have a bunch of characters conveniently coming of age at around exactly the same moment to fill your goverment and military positions where there was no worth one putting in befrore.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 28, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Semi related issue: turns out some ultra grognards in the beta group convinced Paradox that people wanted to micromanage marriages for the entire royal family so if you don't manually marry up all your kids and grandkids your family consists entirely of old people.

Also only the primary heir and second son of each family is allowed to have kids, if they both only have daughters then the family dies out eventually! Understandable for performance reasons but makes sense why families seem to keep getting smaller.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I want to know why a character having, say, dementia doesn't seem to hinder their election to Consul. Like it's one thing if they develop it while in office, but my Senate just seems to love this old, dementia-riddled baffoon and they elected him while he already had it.

Actually that makes me realize I have no idea what, if anything, affects the "likely to be next Consul" status. Is it basically just random or can you affect it somehow?

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 28, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

canepazzo posted:

Ah, a centrist.

I think a centrist would have 1 in everything, but lol nonetheless. Came across someone else who had even bigger numbers!

AnEdgelord posted:

Carthage is extremely ez mode, which is good because that is lore accurate, but less good if you want a challenge. The amount of money I was raking in after a bit of development was truly absurd. Sadly there does seem to be a lack of Carthage events, everything I got was the generic stuff. Also, couldn't seem to sacrifice children to Moloch, so that's less good.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
If you're on the fence about getting this game, I recommend borrowing your friends CD or whatever and trying it out. It's not done, but if you like what you see and think of it as early access (it is), I'm sure you'll consider buying it down the line.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

I want to know why a character having, say, dementia doesn't seem to hinder their election to Consul. Like it's one thing if they develop it while in office, but my Senate just seems to love this old, dementia-riddled baffoon and they elected him while he already had it.

Actually that makes me realize I have no idea what, if anything, affects the "likely to be next Consul" status. Is it basically just random or can you affect it somehow?

Most of your politicians have dementia, including the leader of the free world.

Working as intended to be honest.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
How do I deal with revolts when playing a tribal nation?

I took over a neighbouring province, 1-2 years later they start to rebel and suddenly all my armies get exiled and the cities switch over to the rebels without a siege or fight. Then the rebels run amok and start depopulating the area until my armies can get back and restore order.

The governor of the second province is my 100% loyal clan chief.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been having a good amount of fun playing as Dodekaschoinos and sticking it to the Ptolemies. It helps that the constant feuding of the Diadochi make Egypt an easy target for two-front wars.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Went looking for where the map modes are defined so I could unfuck the population and civilisation map modes. Figured they would be building off of what Stellaris did to open them up to modding.

Well, they are moddable, kind of. :negative:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Average Bear posted:

If you're on the fence about getting this game, I recommend borrowing your friends CD or whatever and trying it out. It's not done, but if you like what you see and think of it as early access (it is), I'm sure you'll consider buying it down the line.

Yeah game is obviously under cooked and got pushed out too early. Hopefully the investors see that this was a bad move in the sense they could have made even more money had the initial feedback been more positive. Now they’re gonna have to drag their feet for years to prove they improved the original game state.

Im still having fun, but it looks like it’s gonna be “40 hours” kinda fun and not “800 CK2 hours” kinda fun.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zotix posted:

Would I be correct in saying you almost never want to promote a slave? But if a pop is already a tribesman they are fine to upward promote as needed?

I would only promote slaves if I'm desperate for more citizens. Thing is, you can always promote, but you can never demote, so you should be careful about promoting away your source of income. Also, promoting slaves to citizens costs twice as much as promoting freemen to citizens. So do tribesmen, but tribesmen generally dislike living in civilized areas anyway, so I feel better about promoting those in places with lots of citizens.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Oh god this microstutter, maybe I need to put this on hold until 1.0.1

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Hammerstein posted:

How do I deal with revolts when playing a tribal nation?

I took over a neighbouring province, 1-2 years later they start to rebel and suddenly all my armies get exiled and the cities switch over to the rebels without a siege or fight. Then the rebels run amok and start depopulating the area until my armies can get back and restore order.

The governor of the second province is my 100% loyal clan chief.

So, if I recall correctly, revolts happen when 20% or more of your nation lives in a disloyal province that is not your primary culture type. It doesn't matter if the governor is loyal it's the province itself (or the people) that you have to worry about. Often times using your scroll mana to convert them to your culture is the easiest way to avoid this, as it makes the province your culture and increases their loyalty per month.

The tab on the far left should have a list of your provinces and the loyalty change per month.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

AnEdgelord posted:

Oh god this microstutter, maybe I need to put this on hold until 1.0.1

Turning off “camera always points north” in the options helped for me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Desperately wishing for the ability to appoint people to various positions from their character sheets.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Chomp8645 posted:

tbf electing decrepit septuagenarians to office is very roman

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

Copying Edipils post from the PGS Thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887386) with stats and summary from our first proper MP game of Imperator:

edipil posted:

SESSION 1 -- 450 to 487

WORLD MAP

SUMMARY --:siren:PLAYER DEATHS = 9:siren:

Welcome to the ancient world. The great conqueror Alexander of Macedon has suddenly passed at a young age in the Far East. His empire is now in disarray, divided up by the top most powerful generals and families in Alexander's vast empire. They were known as the Diadochi and had split the empire in five.

With Alexander's empire dissolved, chaos was expected to reign as the Diadochi fought to assume Alexander's legacy. Defying these expectations, the Diadochi would remain at peace, with Phrygia and Egypt even maintaining a strong military alliance. Despite the peace, the Seleucids would see numerous revolts to be put down. While they would survive the unrest, their eastern neighbor and rival, the empire of Maurya eventually succumbed to civil war after to lengthy a campaign of conquest to their south and east.

Egypt would take advantage of the peace with their rival Diadochi and eventually conquer the populous kingdom of Kush, claiming complete control of the great Nile River.

In the west a Great Power arose, perhaps to eventually challenge Alexander's legacy. The young Roman republic knew if they were to join rival the greats they had to expand quickly. They started with Etruria and found a fairly quick and easy conquest of their lands. This move would alarm Carthage, seeing a threat to their own growing strength in the Mediterranean. With their naval supremacy, Carthage invaded Italy and was able to overwhelm Rome, annexing most of their lands, silencing the potential threat.

While the great powers of the ancient world grew ever stronger, the small kingdoms and tribes throughout made their own way. Some would subjugate their neighboring tribes and kingdoms. Others would seek expansion through the land of those groups less settled and organized. The city of Knossos conquered the entire island of Crete. With the island controlled by a single power, it quickly a nexus of knowledge and invention.

Will any of the Diadochi stake claim to Alexander's legacy? Will Carthage gain complete supremacy over the Western Mediterranean? Will the intellectual jewel of the world maintain its independence? Tune in next week to find out!

HIGHLIGHTS

INCOME

NATION SIZE

POPULATION BY STRATA

TECHNOLOGY

ARMY QUALITY

ARMY QUANTITY

SHIPS

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

I once found a tooltip that explained this, but I forget where that was. I think on the character page itself? Prominence and popularity seem to be big factors iirc. I've been able to drop candidate support by smearing their reputation before. If you want to get a specific person elected, it's pretty easy if you make them a general and then hold lots of triumphs for them.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

Semi related issue: turns out some ultra grognards in the beta group convinced Paradox that people wanted to micromanage marriages for the entire royal family so if you don't manually marry up all your kids and grandkids your family consists entirely of old people.

Also only the primary heir and second son of each family is allowed to have kids, if they both only have daughters then the family dies out eventually! Understandable for performance reasons but makes sense why families seem to keep getting smaller.

:stare: oook... Well this just means the game will be SO MUCH BETTER after a few rounds of patches and more suggestions/discussion from "normal" people that will drown the grognards out (haha yeah right :v: )

I am nearing completion of my first game as Rome, I ploughed through everything and if I'm not as good as real-life Rome, it's close enough with still about 80 years to go. Right now my army is way too small (250 cohorts vs. 500-600 for the other major/great powers), simply because I can't be arsed to make more armies, assign generals, manage supply limits etc.. but it's no big deal since everyone around me is scared to hell of me (and with good reason), I have already crushed all the nearby major powers so all that's left is Egypt and the Seleucids with a few buffer states inbetween us, basically slowly nibbling at smaller targets on all fronts and waiting to pounce on bigger ones when a good opportunity arises

also I am stacking big amounts of Oratory and Religious power, I just can't be bothered clicking "assimilate" and "convert" a million times. I'm always short on Civic power though, there's a huge quantity of inventions and trade routes are nice, plus moving pops becomes mandatory once you start racking up hundreds of slaves in your capital

oh and the huuuuge pile of money is, again, because I can't be arsed to click click click my way to a thousand buildings

that's ... a lot of people

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 28, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Lotta families to manage. Is there any reason I shouldn't be trying to trim these down to like 3-5 families? Or does it autogen new ones to replace, like in CK2 how you always have a certain number of patrician families per merchant republic?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 28, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Moridin920 posted:

Lotta families to manage. Is there any reason I shouldn't be trying to trim these down to like 3-5 families?

You'll need people to do stuff, if and when you blob. Governors for provinces, generals for armies, researchers, council positions etc... I had to welcome families from defeated enemies a couple times, when a bunch of my own families had a generation of producing only females and the old geezers started dying off when their grandkids were still too young to be in office :v:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The AI just loving never accepts white peaces. It's really frustrating because sometimes a war can go on forever. I kinda feel like once you're losing it's just impossible to claim back and all the AI wants to do is take your entire nation at all times. Sometimes the war isn't lost but it still becomes a forever stalemate and it's really boring. I think this is partly down to there not being anything else to do, but it's still annoying.

I'm also wound up by when you have an army selected it'll show a big box against your cursor (telling you about the province) until you unselect and it covers up loads of screen. God it's so annoying.

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 28, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Taear posted:

The AI just loving never accepts white peaces. It's really frustrating because sometimes a war can go on forever.

I'm also wound up by when you have an army selected it'll show a big box against your cursor (telling you about the province) until you unselect and it covers up loads of screen. God it's so annoying.

Paradox really needs to add back the "length of war" war enthusiasm modifier.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Paradox really needs to add back the "length of war" war enthusiasm modifier.

It's sort of there, in that a white peace will suddenly be declared sometimes. That's how I finally ended my enormous war against a Regional Power that I couldn't actually reach, it just kinda happened.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Taear posted:

It's sort of there, in that a white peace will suddenly be declared sometimes. That's how I finally ended my enormous war against a Regional Power that I couldn't actually reach, it just kinda happened.

Yes, there's a modifier for time elapsed (can't recall the exact wording but it's there), I white peaced an opponent who I got stuck in a war with for no apparent reason after a bunch of years since they couldn't reach me and viceversa

also you can't separate peace out an ally of your war target before some years have passed, I think it's 3 years

also if you're on the offensive and occupy (or on the defensive and keep unoccupied) the wargoal and it's not contested, meaning you keep control of all cities, after a set amount of time (again I think it's 3 years) you can just white-peace out (keeping it if you were attacking, or just white peace if you were defending)

honestly, I think the peace system is a bit better than EU4, with a chance to become a lot better with a few extra options and CBs :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

TorakFade posted:

also if you're on the offensive and occupy (or on the defensive and keep unoccupied) the wargoal and it's not contested, meaning you keep control of all cities, after a set amount of time (again I think it's 3 years) you can just white-peace out (keeping it if you were attacking, or just white peace if you were defending)

honestly, I think the peace system is a bit better than EU4, with a chance to become a lot better with a few extra options and CBs :)

I had the land (and it wasn't contested) for 12 years and the war only ended when I finally allowed them to take it back. Then when they did, it just instantly stopped.

The war was led by a regional power who had guaranteed the other guys, but they didn't actually take part at all. Which meant even taking 70% of one country and 100% of the other wasn't enough to get more than like...8 warscore. Maybe even less than 8. Extremely frustrating and something they had issues with in Stellaris too.

I think that perhaps you get too many troops back though, I can lose my whole army and be back at 50k really quickly. Now partly that's the tribes hiring new guys (ugh stop it) but it's still a bit mad.