Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Those are peanuts what the gently caress is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
Did you know? Nuts aren’t real — their all vegetables, but some are french vegetables; légumes

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Ok is this drat thing going to get an unofficial server too in the wake of this CoH drama? I never explored this game as much as I wanted to and I drat well want to now.

Get on it goons!

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

God I wish

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Majin posted:

Ok is this drat thing going to get an unofficial server too in the wake of this CoH drama? I never explored this game as much as I wanted to and I drat well want to now.

Get on it goons!

No. Because Disney is loving God x10000 compared to NC soft. They probably have more lawyers then ncsoft has people working there.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Asros was probably the only one with all the code needed to run the server.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
It's true. Disney has been threatening people with crushing amounts of legal fees for decades. They don't want to win these cases, they want you to know upfront that they'll drown you in legal paperwork until you go bankrupt.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'd rather they drown me in worthless cosmics after i pay them $15 for a thor lebwoski skin.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
$20 Loungewear Doctor Doom when

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Flannel shirt hawkeye when?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ross Scott made an essay on games as a service and why it's horrible. He's been outspoken in the past about games disappearing into the ether when the companies stop wanting to run the servers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUAX0gnZ3Nw

Marvel Heroes is on the list of dead games about nineteen minutes in.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Forget you guys I'm off to play dc universe online and make wolverine

Gonna design my OWN stupid costumes

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

HebrewMagic posted:

Forget you guys I'm off to play dc universe online and make wolverine

Gonna design my OWN stupid costumes

There's an open to the public City of Heroes private server now and soon there might be multiple of them. Also a lot of delicious drama

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Other posted:

There's an open to the public City of Heroes private server now and soon there might be multiple of them. Also a lot of delicious drama

I'm sure NCSoft already has a team of lawyers writing a cease and desist.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

NofrikinfuN posted:

I'm sure NCSoft already has a team of lawyers writing a cease and desist.

Oh, it goes SO much deeper than that.

There's a secret server, there's a guy who's trying to buy the license, a guy who's trying to get this to be sponsored, nazis, SJWs, and multiple discords of drama.

But it's still super fun, get in while you can.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Relentless posted:

There's a secret server, there's a guy who's trying to buy the license, a guy who's trying to get this to be sponsored, nazis, SJWs, and multiple discords of drama.

The funny thing is, NCSoft could easily give something like this their blessing and effectively let the community pay to keep their property alive until they create a sequel or something.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

NofrikinfuN posted:

The funny thing is, NCSoft could easily give something like this their blessing and effectively let the community pay to keep their property alive until they create a sequel or something.

There's one guy who claims to be doing that. Probably some kind of licencing agreement that would let him take money for servers.

But this whole thing is such a mess nobody knows for sure.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Relentless posted:

There's one guy who claims to be doing that. Probably some kind of licencing agreement that would let him take money for servers.

But this whole thing is such a mess nobody knows for sure.

that is supposedly still happening, but it's under an NDA right now (which is a good sign generally that stuff is actually happening instead of just being told "no" upfront), but corporations are slow to make decisions and, again, NDA, so we dont know much

if they can get official blessing to run a community server that would be cool. i dont think anyone's expecting it to happen at this point though

Lux Aeterna
Feb 19, 2005

usually companies aren't complete goddamn idiots with stuff like this and considering it's the anniversary of CoX some PR guy has a cakewalk of a case to make that doing nothing gives more than doing something.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Lux Aeterna posted:

usually companies aren't complete goddamn idiots with stuff like this and considering it's the anniversary of CoX some PR guy has a cakewalk of a case to make that doing nothing gives more than doing something.

The counterpoint to this, of course, being that CoH was profitable even when NCSoft took it down. But it wasn't profitable enough, so they (reportedtly) took it down so they could concentrate on their Korean market.

Maybe leadership has changed since then but they shot themselves in the foot over this once already.

//edit

Doing a little digging, this may actually be a relevant bit.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ncsoft-bolsters-executive-team-by-adding-chris-corry-as-chief-development-officer-300650617.html

New Western development executive as of about a year ago, originally from Zynga.

And if Zynga understands anything it's how to make money reusing old assets and selling things a buck at a time.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 27, 2019

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Relentless posted:

Is there a biased and inaccurate article I can read on Waypoint, Kotaku, or Polygon?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Is there a biased and inaccurate article I can read on Waypoint, Kotaku, or Polygon?

Oh you know it.

Most if the most recent drama isn't in there, such as Innocuous being a bigoted chud, but there's still plenty of nonsense.

In the MMO forum there's a City of Heroes thread with links to the 4chan, Reddit and SA discords. Several of us have been having fun poking the 4chan discord with such out there opinions as "Eh, maybe they should ban nazis."

https://kotaku.com/discovery-of-a-secret-fan-run-city-of-heroes-server-ca-1834254587

https://www.altchar.com/games-news/595039/city-of-heroes-private-servers-may-become-reality

https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/22/city-of-heroes-rogue-server-has-already-been-shut-down-under-threat-of-legal-action/

Lozareth
Jun 11, 2006

ICR, fight me. I can just about beat my 11-year-old stepson at MK11.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

MK11 owns

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

After seeing Avengers: Endgame I am disappointed that I will not be able to run around Midtown Manhattan as The Big Thorbowski/Thine Dude. Shirtless drunk Thor would have been funny. Also character chatter about America's rear end.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

MH Knights posted:

After seeing Avengers: Endgame I am disappointed that I will not be able to run around Midtown Manhattan as The Big Thorbowski/Thine Dude. Shirtless drunk Thor would have been funny. Also character chatter about America's rear end.

I bet we would have gotten Mjolnir Cap as a unique character to play as, which just from the stuff he does in the movie would have kicked rear end. And would have been easy for them to make by hybridizing Thor and Cap's existing movesets lol

but now, it will never be. my dreams dashed before they began

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The best part of the movie, by far, was the post-credits scene in which Deadpool appears and mocks you for expecting a post-credits scene after a movie called "Endgame".

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I'm very sad the game doesn't exist for the reasons in the previous two posts that aren't Shine

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm sad that I didn't get to be spoiled by assholes in the game's chat.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Deakul posted:

Hulk dabs

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Thor plays Fortnite with Korg and Meek.

See? I can make up random bullshit too, nice try idiot.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Deakul posted:

I'm sad that I didn't get to be an rear end in a top hat and spoil things in the game's chat.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

super sweet best pal posted:

I'm sad that I didn't get to be an rear end in a top hat and spoil things in the game's chat.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Relentless posted:

The counterpoint to this, of course, being that CoH was profitable even when NCSoft took it down. But it wasn't profitable enough, so they (reportedtly) took it down so they could concentrate on their Korean market.

Maybe leadership has changed since then but they shot themselves in the foot over this once already.

I don't have the link but one of the Wildstar devs was saying in the Wildstar thread that NCSoft was just fed up with working with the CoH devs. Apparently they were given funding to start development on a CoH sequel and instead used it develop a prototype game for some IP they didn't have the license for (I want to say Predator), which understandably pissed off NCSoft.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Deakul posted:

Thor plays Fortnite with Korg and Meek.

See? I can make up random bullshit too, nice try idiot.

hulk dabs

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Kind of mad thanos finger snap didn’t take out enough people to make fortnight die.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

if the game was still live and i was still in charge of the guild i would change it's name to Hulk Dabs

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Toot Force for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

I wish this game was still around so I could play as the dream team of fat Thor, dead Tony, old cap, dabbing hulk, and dead widow in the Thanos raid. But not Hawkeye cuz gently caress him. Also legit bummed we will never see costumes for the 3rd Guardians flick - with the new addition of guardian, potentially drunk Thor. I could cry.