Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/views-expressed/2019/04/governments-borrowed-interest-free-bank-canada-now-incur

Thinly sourced (Crowell was a professor of social ethics in the religious studies dept at UWindsor), but it does seem like counter-cyclical spending and inflationary economics were the order of the day in the 70s. Considering "debt servicing" is the conservative shriek about why our taxes are so high, you'd think they'd be all over a model like this.

quote:

The construction of the Trans-Canada Highway, the St. Lawrence Seaway, modern airports and seaports, and other essential parts of Canada's infrastructure were all accomplished with Bank of Canada loans. And because they were essentially interest-free, they caused only a small increase in the government's debt.

After 1975, however, when Ottawa abruptly started borrowing from private banks instead of "the people's bank" for large public projects, the steep interest rates it then had to pay built up steadily mounting debts.

Most provincial and municipal governments, too, although the Bank of Canada could also have legally extended loans to them, have piled up massive debts from private bank loans over the past four decades. Our governments at all levels are now collectively paying some $60 billion in interest on these debts every year.

"This enormous debt burden need never have been incurred," says George Crowell, a retired University of Windsor professor. "It deprives our governments of revenue that could be used instead for much-needed improvements to our social and economic services."

Instead, both Liberal and Conservative governments not only flatly refuse to resume borrowing from the Bank of Canada, "but also use their deliberately incurred debts as an excuse for cutting public programs and services instead of preserving and expanding them.

Corporate welfare and market-knows-best economics are what has given us the vibrant, egalitarian economy we now find ourselves in, with flawless public services, no rentseeking, and top-tier healthcare.

quote:

It's interesting that the provisions in the Bank of Canada Act that originally authorized the Bank to fund public projects have never been deleted from the Act. The Bank could therefore resume that advantageous operation any time a federal government directed or permitted it to do so.

Gotta keep inflation down, otherwise our wages will be worth progressively less as time goes on. And then we wouldn't be able to afford housing without huge mortgages!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

As much as I hate the Greens, this has basically been the NDP's desperate marketing strategy for the last 10 years.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

supersnowman posted:

I wonder what the actual market value of that house is now that it got flooded twice in such small amount of time.

Pretty low considering they probably will no longer qualify for flood insurance and insuring the property will be very difficult. Whatever it was bought for is irrelevant now.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/views-expressed/2019/04/governments-borrowed-interest-free-bank-canada-now-incur

Corporate welfare and market-knows-best economics are what has given us the vibrant, egalitarian economy we now find ourselves in, with flawless public services, no rentseeking, and top-tier healthcare.

Thanks for posting. I was not aware we were doing this too. I’ve heard of the DSA’s efforts in LA putting a question on the ballot about creating an LA public bank.

If these numbers are as huge as claimed in the article the NDP should be screaming about it to the high heavens.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

This is a nice page

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

littleorv posted:

This is a nice page

I was going to ruin your post with that picture from Macleans of all the Conservative guys titled "The Resistance" but I cant find it.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Furnaceface posted:

I was going to ruin your post with that picture from Macleans of all the Conservative guys titled "The Resistance" but I cant find it.

It's a good picture as long as it's this version

less than three fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 29, 2019

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

The Freudian relationship with their moms squad

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
What's a good area for owning a house in Ottawa long term?

I'm slightly biased for a normal house and not a town/rowhouse or a condo looking thing.

Or is this the wrong thread? I'm worried if I ask in the Housing megathread people will yell at me. :D

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
hello good gentleman, here is a personal lifestyle question with a massive range of answers and basically no information to go on posted in a politics thread for some reason

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm slightly biased for a normal house and not a town/rowhouse or a condo looking thing.

Or is this the wrong thread? I'm worried if I ask in the Housing megathread people will yell at me. :D
Since you said nothing about affordability I'm going to assume you're a multimillionaire, in which case the answer is obvious:

Rockcliffe Park. Rich people live there so house prices won't be affected by economic downturns and as the name implies it's on a rock cliff (I don't actually know if this is true, but it sounds true) so should be safe from flooding and it's close to downtown while still being separate enough so you won't have poor people coming around.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Raenir Salazar posted:

We do have an Ottawa thread you can ask

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Try asking here.

Basically it depends on what street you live on. You have nice houses next to Grover Houses and upscale neighbourhoods are flanked by drug dens.

EDIT ^What he said.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Thanks! And no I'm not rich. I figure in 2 years though I could probably afford a down payment/mortgage for a 500k house.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Canada has a Nazi problem? You don't say? Snark aside, this paints a fairly stark picture and I guess it's nice to not feel like I'm being gaslit about this issue when mainstream news finally picks up on this poo poo. https://twitter.com/globepolitics/status/1122114175210270721

e: Don't remember if this was posted already.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016

This is a normal, unaltered page 89. Please do not draw attention to it.

I finally got a Viola Desmond $10 in my change this week so they are out there!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yellow Ant posted:

How are they just getting to you? I’ve been making vertical wallet jokes for months now.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think it's been months maybe even a year since I've seen or touched hard currency.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Yellow Ant posted:

This is a normal, unaltered page 89. Please do not draw attention to it.

Nic.... OOp nevermind.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Trudeau could guarantee himself another majority government tonight by pledging to execute the CEO of Bell Media and anyone involved with CraveTV.

Can't even get the stream to stop dying on a drat replay of the episode that already aired.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Why not up? Just launch that poo poo into space.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Google Assistant suggested this Toronto Star hopeful fluff opinion piece on how Rachel Notley's mandate would not be so easily undone. It's very optimistic, and for a moment, I found myself believing that things might not be so bad.

Then I remembered that nearly everything Robin Sears says couldn't possibly happen in Alberta has been done or undone in Ontario by Dougie. :smithicide:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So flooding continues to get worse along the Ottawa River. Yesterday my mom was baking pancakes all morning for the relief crews and people flooded out of their homes and my dad was helping coordinate traffic with the army and the fire departments coming down from Timmins and Sudbury to help with sandbagging.

A pair of hundred year floods two years apart. I can sympathize with people who will lose their houses over this but at the same time I can't help but think if anyone had learned anything from the 2017 flooding it wouldn't be nearly as bad a disaster as it is turning into.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Its hard to deal with floods. Love the red river basin.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's been months maybe even a year since I've seen or touched hard currency.

Are you one of those people who think Canada Post is unnecessary because you don't think you use it?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

So flooding continues to get worse along the Ottawa River. Yesterday my mom was baking pancakes all morning for the relief crews and people flooded out of their homes and my dad was helping coordinate traffic with the army and the fire departments coming down from Timmins and Sudbury to help with sandbagging.

A pair of hundred year floods two years apart. I can sympathize with people who will lose their houses over this but at the same time I can't help but think if anyone had learned anything from the 2017 flooding it wouldn't be nearly as bad a disaster as it is turning into.

The problem is if you don't have a lot of money it can be hard to find the time or the will to do future planning on mitigation.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Thanks! And no I'm not rich. I figure in 2 years though I could probably afford a down payment/mortgage for a 500k house.

What is a $500k house? Is Ottawa so economically depressed that this is a thing that exists?

Madness.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Nepean: "Technically, in Ottawa"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Smith Falls: We have weed now!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

What is a $500k house? Is Ottawa so economically depressed that this is a thing that exists?

Madness.

You could probably buy a couple of waterfront houses for that right now.

e; also for levee guy, their wall/berm didn't work, the water got too high and the neighbours didn't have a wall so they're at nature's mercy again

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Apr 29, 2019

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

You could probably buy a couple of waterfront houses for that right now.

e; also for levee guy, their wall/berm didn't work, the water got too high and the neighbours didn't have a wall so they're at nature's mercy again

Sucks for that neighbour.

Is it possible to build a multi story house where the lower floor is simply to raise the house 8-10 feet with a solid concrete foundation, perhaps use it as a garage? Now that these hundred year events are bi/tri-annual maybe we should start either moving people out or building properties that can withstand the lower floor flooding. Maybe this is just a bad idea idk.

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 29, 2019

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

Is it possible to build a multi story house where the lower floor is simply to raise the house 8-10 feet with a solid concrete foundation, perhaps use it as a garage? Now that these hundred year are bi/tri-annual maybe we should start either moving people out or building properties that can withstand the lower floor flooding. Maybe this is just a bad idea idk.

Could do like Sacramento in the late 1800s and just raise the whole damned town.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Is it possible to build a multi story house where the lower floor is simply to raise the house 8-10 feet with a solid concrete foundation, perhaps use it as a garage? Now that these hundred year events are bi/tri-annual maybe we should start either moving people out or building properties that can withstand the lower floor flooding. Maybe this is just a bad idea idk.

Solid concrete would be a nightmare but a guy on that row recently built a place that's on 10-12ft high concrete cylinders. There was chatter that he was overdoing it a bit but haven't heard much of that lately.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Risky Bisquick posted:

roads would be flooded and damaged from uplift or sink into the muddy ground and everything we take for granted at street level would need to be rebuilt. Like transformers, drains, signs, pump stations, power lines all that would be flooded and water damaged.

I would probably just leave and say its not worth it to rebuild, Canada is a big place.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

One person is talking about raising the house, putting massive styrofoam blocks under and mounting the house to vertical rods so it can go up and down like a floating dock, apparently that is a thing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Do you kids like indoor plumbing? Because it turns out having an entire river running through your sewer has some negative effects on the toilets and whatnot

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Madness.

Well, 100k to 300k houses seem like row/town houses or condos, so I'm setting my search filters to 500k max to get legitimate looking houses. But yeah most are ugly, and yeah housing prices seem fine at a glance; though I'm looking at places that were kinda far from downtown.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

One person is talking about raising the house, putting massive styrofoam blocks under and mounting the house to vertical rods so it can go up and down like a floating dock, apparently that is a thing.

Yeah dude I saw that stuff after those US hurricanes they have hydraulic jacks that lift their place like 5-6ft in a couple minutes. I wonder about how this incorporates utilities? Weird

Seems like a rich person problem though, probably would be smarter to just up and leave

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Madness.

Renting seems hosed from what I've heard / seen.

Might just be awful at looking, but can hardly find anything sub 1k that isn't like some person renting out a room in their basement or located terribly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If you can't find vacancies make your own: Go on airbnb, find a place you like in an apartment building, and then call up the super and offer him 5% over whatever the incumbent is paying to actually loving live there.