Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TheFluff posted:

while we're on the subject: there's lots of talk about demographic representation in fiction these days but why aren't people complaining more about how half of all popular stories are built around a hero of some kind? this is how you get people thinking that steve loving jobs invented the iPhone or whatever the gently caress. ban stories with heroes in them. stories should be about cooperation.

Ban them HOW?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TheFluff posted:

while we're on the subject: there's lots of talk about demographic representation in fiction these days but why aren't people complaining more about how half of all popular stories are built around a hero of some kind? this is how you get people thinking that steve loving jobs invented the iPhone or whatever the gently caress. ban stories with heroes in them. stories should be about cooperation.

:rolleyes:

That sure is a thing you've typed out there.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TheFluff posted:

:rolleyes:
Ban names while you're at it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

idk, this is the startup thread, I'm just the ideas guy

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TheFluff posted:

The ideas guy just wants to eliminate the human condition.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TheFluff posted:

It really really sounds like you had legit abusive parents and are trying to justify it with "I TURNED OUT OKAY". Ban stories with heroes? Entertainment is bad? What the gently caress dude.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That sure is a thing you've typed out there.

it's a good idea and you know it

seriously, everyone accepts that fictional stories do affect your world view. if you keep hearing things often enough you start taking them for granted. people go on about fake news but I think they should also be concerned about what messages fiction is sending.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Make every hero Mao.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheFluff posted:

seriously, everyone accepts that fictional stories do affect your world view. if you keep hearing things often enough you start taking them for granted. people go on about fake news but I think they should also be concerned about what messages fiction is sending.

But you just told us learning or being entertained by anything is evil, so how is it possible to have "good" fiction?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The ideas guy just wants to eliminate the human condition.

The human condition that gave birth to the monomyth poo poo and hero tropes in general has been sick and disturbed for hundreds of thousands of years and in dire need of forcible mass realignment, I agree.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TheFluff posted:

We simply need to live in a police state and have art controlled by the state then mankind can finally escape from the fearful condition we know as :checks notes: people thinking steve jobs invented the iphone.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It really really sounds like you had legit abusive parents and are trying to justify it with "I TURNED OUT OKAY". Ban stories with heroes? Entertainment is bad? What the gently caress dude.

I don't think I know anyone who has a better relationship with their parents than me and my siblings do tbh. we're very close even today

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The human condition that gave birth to the monomyth poo poo and hero tropes in general has been sick and disturbed for hundreds of thousands of years and in dire need of forcible mass realignment, I agree.

no but you see the capitalist society is the best and it's impossible to imagine a better world

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

TheFluff posted:

I don't think I know anyone who has a better relationship with their parents than me and my siblings do tbh. we're very close even today

Abused children are often extremely close with their abusive parents so I am not sure this is an argument that holds much weight against your extremely well thought out brain spasm.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TheFluff posted:

Yeah, wow, big shock kids that grew up being taught that outside information or entertainment was wicked would grow up "close" to their parents. Totally unexpected twist! Do not go outside without mother.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I love that I can post something incredibly mocking like 'eliminate the human condition' and some edgy moron takes it and runs with it. Never change you beautiful morons.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

TheFluff posted:

It is disruptive at least

And like the best of them, relies on forcing legislation regulating consumer choice to become profitable (assuming you're aiming to be the content producer). The Flufftopia is people trading illegal bootleg copies of Tom Cruise movies while all theaters in the country play a two-hour timelapse of municipal workers. Life back in balance.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The comedians of Babylon. You came to a distant land occupied by an enigmatic tribe, and stayed with them a while as a guest of their chief. One night the chief invited you to take part in an ancestral custom. The whole tribe gathered, and one from among their number was selected and stood up in front of the rest, where he could be seen easily by all. This man thought for a while, and then spoke. “Twenty-six!” he said. Ripples of laughter passed through the crowd. Satisfied with this response, the man stepped down and returned to his fellows, pausing on the way to select another man. This next speaker, just like the first, stepped up in front of the crowd. Without hesitating he called out “Six!” This was received with even more laughter than the last time, a lot of good-natured thigh-slapping and so on. Things continued in this vein. A person would step up in front of the tribe, speak a number aloud, and there would be – sometimes more, sometimes less – laughter. Seeing this you were understandably quite perplexed and turned to the chief, with whom you were sitting. The chief explained that it had long been the custom of the tribe to gather every so often and tell jokes for each other's entertainment. This had been the custom for such a fantastically long time that all the jokes were by now intimately familiar to the members of the tribe – so familiar that it was no longer necessary to recite them. Each joke had been assigned a number; all the comedian needed to do was provide that number, and the audience would know precisely what joke was meant by it. Having explained this, the chief then graciously offered you a chance to go up and tell a joke; curiosity thus aroused, you agreed. You stood up in front of the crowd, felt all the tribe's eyes upon you. You thought for few moments, then a few more. The tribe was gripped in anticipation. At last you called out, in a tentative voice, “Two thousand one hundred and one!” At that moment, a deadly silence fell over the crowd. Their faces betrayed pure astonishment. Then, somewhere in the back, someone emitted a giggle. It was like a dam bursting. The crowd exploded, erupting in peals of laughter, uncontrollable, they were clutching their chests trying to stop themselves but they couldn't, they laughed and laughed for minutes on end. The tribe was in utter chaos. When at last things seemed to have subdued you stepped down and returned to the side of the chief, who was red in the face, wiping tears from his eyes. You asked what had been so funny. The chief answered, “We've never heard it told like that before!”

The joke's over. In the end you moved on, like you always knew you would. But you had often wondered about that tribe, about what became of them. They were in many ways a very modern people. All that once took the form of an organic interaction – the gossamer thread of comedy that wound unpredictably in and out of everyday discourse – had been replaced by its representation. A social relation had been made into a 'thing', frozen, deadened, preserved like a flower pressed between pages of a book. What had begun as a straightforward compression of communication under the auspices of a textual archive kept in common became a plane of discursivity radically divorced from that archive. What the traveller exposed was that they were no longer people who laughed at jokes, nor were they were people who laughed at numeric references to jokes. They were people who laughed at the references in and of themselves. They laughed at the numbers. What the numbers referred to had become immaterial. Perhaps no-one knew what the actual jokes were; perhaps they had been forgotten for a long time. Perhaps there never had been any jokes to begin with – as far back as you went, it was nothing but numbers. Perhaps any of that. All of that. And yet, you thought. And yet – and yet, who were you...the question raised itself...who were you, to call their comedy impoverished? You with your prejudice, your motivated reasoning, your preconceived notions of what was right and good. Who were you to judge? Could it not be that this tribe had – in the numbers – discovered a radical new form of cognition? Could it not be that in the mere pronunciation of those syllables, those tired signifiers, those utilitarian phonetics – they had found a way to perceive a world of nuance, a resplendence in the sheer joy of language? Could it be that? You would never know; you could never know. That way was barred to you. You left the tribe where you found them, felt the warmth of their cook-fires recede into the horizon as you wandered off, aimless, into the empty desert. For want of any other claim, you had to imagine them happy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

TheFluff posted:

The joke's over. In the end you moved on, like you always knew you would. But you had often wondered about that tribe, about what became of them. They were in many ways a very modern people. All that once took the form of an organic interaction – the gossamer thread of comedy that wound unpredictably in and out of everyday discourse – had been replaced by its representation. A social relation had been made into a 'thing', frozen, deadened, preserved like a flower pressed between pages of a book. What had begun as a straightforward compression of communication under the auspices of a textual archive kept in common became a plane of discursivity radically divorced from that archive. What the traveller exposed was that they were no longer people who laughed at jokes, nor were they were people who laughed at numeric references to jokes. They were people who laughed at the references in and of themselves. They laughed at the numbers. What the numbers referred to had become immaterial. Perhaps no-one knew what the actual jokes were; perhaps they had been forgotten for a long time. Perhaps there never had been any jokes to begin with – as far back as you went, it was nothing but numbers. Perhaps any of that. All of that. And yet, you thought. And yet – and yet, who were you...the question raised itself...who were you, to call their comedy impoverished? You with your prejudice, your motivated reasoning, your preconceived notions of what was right and good. Who were you to judge? Could it not be that this tribe had – in the numbers – discovered a radical new form of cognition? Could it not be that in the mere pronunciation of those syllables, those tired signifiers, those utilitarian phonetics – they had found a way to perceive a world of nuance, a resplendence in the sheer joy of language? Could it be that? You would never know; you could never know. That way was barred to you. You left the tribe where you found them, felt the warmth of their cook-fires recede into the horizon as you wandered off, aimless, into the empty desert. For want of any other claim, you had to imagine them happy.

man, this sure is exactly what the writing of someone who's parents told them "entertainment is evil" would look like.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
can you have your meltdown somewhere else please

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

TheFluff posted:

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF FILTH AND WASTE

On another track, we're on track for fusion power in the '20s! Because it's poised for a "SpaceX moment" where the startups take over for government-sponsored construction, which is certainly a phrase we use in scientific reporting nowadays. China is targeting for a more conservative 2040 or the usual fusion forecast of "20 years into the future."

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

man, this sure is exactly what the writing of someone who's parents told them "entertainment is evil" would look like.

He also appears to think lists or indexes are inherently evil? Like if a whole society memorized a list of jokes, it would make sense that references to those jokes would eventually include the index number of that joke... It no different than having a list of rules and referring the the rules by the number instead of the wordds of the rule itself. HHell we do this with our constitution...

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

can you have your meltdown somewhere else please

:yeah:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Of course we have a goon who is afraid and contemptuous of shared culture and storytelling.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
'screen time' is just 'couch potato' for a new generation

the far bigger problem is kids who live in a dismal/hostile built environment which discourages going outside, and discourages their parents from being comfortable letting their kids go outside

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Instead of banning books to encourage the next generation to be good people, why don't we just make every child watch a drone fly up into Earth orbit and look around with VR goggles on to engender their love for this singular planet and all life that exists within its atmosphere?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Sage Grimm posted:

On another track, we're on track for fusion power in the '20s! Because it's poised for a "SpaceX moment" where the startups take over for government-sponsored construction, which is certainly a phrase we use in scientific reporting nowadays. China is targeting for a more conservative 2040 or the usual fusion forecast of "20 years into the future."

Can't wait for the first startup that disrupts some employees' molecular cohesion by bathing them in the incinerating glory of a new sun, birthed and dying in an instant as containment fails because they decided to skimp out on safety.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'd rather be the bad guy tbh

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Yikes

aware of dog fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 29, 2019

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

The dude changed his display name so the automated response would call then that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

luxury handset posted:

'screen time' is just 'couch potato' for a new generation

the far bigger problem is kids who live in a dismal/hostile built environment which discourages going outside, and discourages their parents from being comfortable letting their kids go outside

The greatest trick television news ever pulled was convincing millions that their little baby would be snatched by a child molester if they spent even five minutes alone outside.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Mister Facetious posted:

The greatest trick television news ever pulled was convincing millions that their little baby would be snatched by a child molester if they spent even five minutes alone outside.

Second greatest is learning they can do that then follow it up with outrage stories to prey on the "these AWFUL millennial parents won't let their sissy kids outside" and get a certain person to eat it up. (not to say that children being sedentary isn't a real issue, but it's always super clear they are double dipping on fear mongering stories then following with outrange stories about the people that follow their advice)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Second greatest is learning they can do that then follow it up with outrage stories to prey on the "these AWFUL millennial parents won't let their sissy kids outside" and get a certain person to eat it up. (not to say that children being sedentary isn't a real issue, but it's always super clear they are double dipping on fear mongering stories then following with outrange stories about the people that follow their advice)

These kids all grew up getting participation trophies. :bahgawd:

Who bought them the trophies?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The Boomers' parents did.

Actually it's even older than that:
https://slate.com/culture/2019/04/participation-trophy-history-world-war-i.html

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 29, 2019

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

skooma512 posted:

These kids all grew up getting participation trophies. :bahgawd:

Who bought them the trophies?

No one did. For how much people have been talking about 'participation trophies" for like 20 years now I've never ever ever seen one. like I am sure someone somewhere has given a kindergarten tee-ball team "you are all winner" plastic cups from party city or something but I have never ever seen someone hauling out like crates of custom made actual trophies and like distributing them regularly to kids using like 50 trips to their car with handcarts to like, ferry dozens of actual trophies over and over. Like maybe a paper printed on a school laserjet printer that is a "certificate" saying runner up or something. You barely see kids getting actual real trophies at all because no one wants to deal with getting them made.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

No one did. For how much people have been talking about 'participation trophies" for like 20 years now I've never ever ever seen one. like I am sure someone somewhere has given a kindergarten tee-ball team "you are all winner" plastic cups from party city or something but I have never ever seen someone hauling out like crates of custom made actual trophies and like distributing them regularly to kids using like 50 trips to their car with handcarts to like, ferry dozens of actual trophies over and over. Like maybe a paper printed on a school laserjet printer that is a "certificate" saying runner up or something. You barely see kids getting actual real trophies at all because no one wants to deal with getting them made.

I have boxes of them still in the attic at my parent’s house. I got them every year for baseball, soccer, and a handful of other youth sports.

That said, I was surprised as hell when I first heard someone use them as an example of some perceived downfall of western civilization. Like, nobody I played with was proud of their participation trophies. They were pieces of plastic that reminded you of a fun couple months playing baseball with your friends. The only trophies we ever actually cared about were for actually winning poo poo, because of course they were. Kids aren’t that stupid, they know what winning and losing is.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mister Facetious posted:

i mean theres also the fact that theres no place for kids to go hang out where they wont get yelled at for being there anymore

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

i mean theres also the fact that theres no place for kids to go hang out where they wont get yelled at for being there anymore

My basement is still available

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

My city has a place called the 'Memorial Boys and Girls Club'. It's functionally Peewees Playhouse + a YMCA in one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Mister Facetious posted:

My city has a place called the 'Memorial Boys and Girls Club'. It's functionally Peewees Playhouse + a YMCA in one.

There's a reason these places getting shut down is a stock movie plot.