Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Randarkman posted:

I watched a couple of early access videos today and the battle AI actually seemed pretty decent all things considered, the youtubers as well seemed genuinely surprised at how well the AI did (again of course with the perspective that it's still an AI).

Looks promising. Except for having an impression that the unit roster is a bit bloated with some direct upgrade units, the battles actually remind me a bit of Shogun 2 so far.
I take it that you're referring to battle AI? I believe that can only be so good before some players would accuse it of cheating in ways different from "better stats, hidden or not." Some units may be direct upgrades in battle but besides higher recruitment/upkeep costs may also require a higher character level/rank, which your faction will only have so much room since you'll only have so many offices to appoint people to.

ZearothK posted:

I haven't pre-ordered the game, but I am keeping an eye on and if the player response is that the game indeed has that level of improvement on the strategic layer then I'm definitely picking it up first chance I get.
Back when people were a lot more pessimistic about the battles I didn't see anyone complaining about the campaign/strategic layer, which I've considered a positive sign on this front.

Koramei posted:

A battle with actual stakes because it's the last defense on your frontier and you'll lose the trade resource you need to build the rad library you were gonna be able to 2 turns from now has more punch to it even if it's between 2 slingers and a javelinman than a custom battle with fully decked out legions where there's no consequences.
I'm not aware of any "you must hold this settlement/otherwise have this resource to recruit this" unit in Three Kingdoms.

Anno posted:

Have they mentioned if this game will be similar to/worse than/better than Total Warham for modding? All of the new stuff looks really good just by itself, but could obviously be so much more in the hands of modders. Hopefully the game gets as solid a modding community as TWW has.
Unfortunately as far as I know there's no official mention of modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Chortles posted:

Unfortunately as far as I know there's no official mention of modding.

I know they mentioned it in the the initial FAQ.

quote:

Will there be modding support from release?

As with previous Total War games, the aim is to have modding using the Assembly Kit, and Steam Workshop support available very shortly after launch.

I was just curious if they'd talked about it since then.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Koramei posted:

Yeah honestly even after playing Paradox games, the campaign layer to Total War is still really important in my opinion. It may at the end of the day just be a framework to give your battles more meaning, but that's still an important part of the whole thing. A battle with actual stakes because it's the last defense on your frontier and you'll lose the trade resource you need to build the rad library you were gonna be able to 2 turns from now has more punch to it even if it's between 2 slingers and a javelinman than a custom battle with fully decked out legions where there's no consequences.

Also the TW campaigns honestly still offer something a bit different from any other strategy game out there. I think people really undersell that part of them to be honest.

I agree I want the campaign layer there I just think it's main purpose should be to facilitate cool battles and basically everything else is a secondary concern.

Whereas I think Throb for example basically is going the opposite direction, trying to hide that it's battles are the same at turn 1 as at turn 100 by giving you lots of busy work on the campaign layer instead. Then the lack of garrisons and Benny Hill AI makes field battles even rarer on top.

It's the opposite design philosophy to Warham so I'm kinda concerned for 3K since a lot of what I'm hearing is campaign mechanics not battle mechanics. Mind you I'm not following too close cause I wanna play myself.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Watching a Korean stream and the Korean dub loving rules holy poo poo.

They put so much effort into it. Korean streamers are def gonna buy this along with tons of people

Look at how cool this is

https://www.twitch.tv/cwn222/clip/AuspiciousSmokyNarwhalCoolCat

Also ambush seems loving rad

https://www.twitch.tv/cwn222/clip/CloudyImpartialGrasshopperPipeHype

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 28, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What do we know about performance and requirements? I can run all the latest Total War reasonably well on high graphics settings (somehow I never had many issues running Attila, luck I guess), though I've got pretty long load times due to no SSD (particularly for Warhammer 2), but I've just learned to live with that. Are there any indications this game will be significantly more demanding than any of the recent ones?

Chortles posted:

I take it that you're referring to battle AI? I believe that can only be so good before some players would accuse it of cheating in ways different from "better stats, hidden or not."

Yeah, I was thinking of the battle AI. This was from youtubers who play alot of Warhammer multiplayer and they were actually pretty impressed with how the AI positioned and moved its units on the battlefield. Of course it can't stand up to a human who knows what they're doing, but it actually seemed pretty decent for an AI.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Apr 28, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

Randarkman posted:

What do we know about performance and requirements? I can run all the latest Total War reasonably well on high graphics settings (somehow I never had many issues running Attila, luck I guess), though I've got pretty long load times due to no SSD (particularly for Warhammer 2), but I've just learned to live with that. Are there any indications this game will be significantly more demanding than any of the recent ones?

The requirements post on Steam are moderately higher than TWW2 for both minimum and recommended. Who knows what that ends up translating to in terms of actual performance. The only video I’ve seen that had very noticeable FPS hits was like 5k men on a huge siege map with lots of flames around, which seems close to worst case scenario.

Another thing TWW3 needs to steal are those loud acknowledgment chants/barks when you order troops around. I love those so much.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Randarkman posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of the battle AI. This was from youtubers who play alot of Warhammer multiplayer and they were actually pretty impressed with how the AI positioned and moved its units on the battlefield. Of course it can't stand up to a human who knows what they're doing, but it actually seemed pretty decent for an AI.

System requirements are on the Steam page.

MINIMUM:
Processor: i7-8550U 1.80GHz
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 60 GB available space

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: Intel i5-6600 | Ryzen 5 2600X
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: GTX 970 | R9 Fury X 4GB VRAM
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 60 GB available space

If anything, minimum requirements are less than TWW2's since it's supporting integrated cards and demanding less clock speed, though we won't really know how well it runs in lower end hardware until it's released for the general population.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Also the AI attacked a stack/garrison where it had to commit to basically a coin flip via the autoresolve which I haven’t seen in a long time in Warhammer.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It really does look like they pushed the AI a lot. Saw a forest battle where the player and AI were separated by a clearing. When the enemy units became visible, he started shooting them with arrows, so the AI actually pulled its units back so they were invisible again.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Is there a high quality video showing off close ups of a battle? Still looks like a cartoon from what i've seen.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

boredsatellite posted:

Watching a Korean stream and the Korean dub loving rules holy poo poo.

They put so much effort into it. Korean streamers are def gonna buy this along with tons of people

Look at how cool this is

https://www.twitch.tv/cwn222/clip/AuspiciousSmokyNarwhalCoolCat

Oh poo poo. A few things have come up that make a Korea DLC seem almost a certainty at this point, but I was actually wondering what they were planning on doing with the Mandarin voicelines setting; will the Koreans all speak in Chinese? Or still in English? Had no idea they were making a Korean dub too, hopefully they bring that to the Korean factions. I mean hell I guess it'll be easy to mod in even if they don't.

Wonder what's gonna happen with Vietnam and Mongolia though

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
By the way, here's the details on unit stats in this game, with the numbers here representing 'large' (30 cavalry/120 infantry) unit scale: https://youtu.be/O8O5L880Rnk?t=30

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Koramei posted:

Oh poo poo. A few things have come up that make a Korea DLC seem almost a certainty at this point, but I was actually wondering what they were planning on doing with the Mandarin voicelines setting; will the Koreans all speak in Chinese? Or still in English? Had no idea they were making a Korean dub too, hopefully they bring that to the Korean factions. I mean hell I guess it'll be easy to mod in even if they don't.

Wonder what's gonna happen with Vietnam and Mongolia though

id love an expansion towards further regions but has there really been any proof that would make it likely?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Davincie posted:

id love an expansion towards further regions but has there really been any proof that would make it likely?
The only indication that I know of has been that, although it's currently 'terra incognita'-ish uninhabitable, the Liaoning region and Korean peninsula are on the zoomed-out campaign map.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Chortles posted:

By the way, here's the details on unit stats in this game, with the numbers here representing 'large' (30 cavalry/120 infantry) unit scale: https://youtu.be/O8O5L880Rnk?t=30

I think the biggest change is that (unless it's a hidden stat) anti large is gone and spear units only get charge reflection. So after you've rear charged a spear unit, you don't have to worry as much about micro managing your cavalry.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
According to the Records battle reveal (then called Classic Mode) though, if you cycle charge there's a chance of the surviving spear infantry turning around and getting charge reflection before your next impact, or alternately an adjacent/blobbing spear unit being the one considered to have braced for the purpose of charge reflection.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Davincie posted:

Okay in retrospect I was way exaggerating with "almost a certainty," but in addition to what Chortles said (and seriously it's like, right loving there on the map, not even squashed against the edge or anything), a couple of times now the devs have reacted notably coyly when asked about it / dropped what can be interpreted as hints during the livestreams. Maybe I'm blowing it a bit out of proportion but the twitch clips have thousands of views so I'm not the only one. Anyway it's not certain but I feel pretty safe on betting it's coming, and likely sooner than later.

Chortles posted:

I'm not aware of any "you must hold this settlement/otherwise have this resource to recruit this" unit in Three Kingdoms.

I mean that wasn't remotely my point, more that it adds context in the form of things like that.

that said that kinda blows, I love those. is there other stuff on the map to fight over?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Koramei posted:

Okay in retrospect I was way exaggerating with "almost a certainty," but in addition to what Chortles said (and seriously it's like, right loving there on the map, not even squashed against the edge or anything), a couple of times now the devs have reacted notably coyly when asked about it / dropped what can be interpreted as hints during the livestreams. Maybe I'm blowing it a bit out of proportion but the twitch clips have thousands of views so I'm not the only one. Anyway it's not certain but I feel pretty safe on betting it's coming, and likely sooner than later.

I mean that wasn't remotely my point, more that it adds context in the form of things like that.

that said that kinda blows, I love those. is there other stuff on the map to fight over?

There are certain region specific buildings that will produce gear, ranging from slightly better then normal to legendary, for your faction as long as you hold them.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Koramei posted:

I saw in one video that holding one of the horse resources allows you to build up a building chain that I don't think gives you any unique units but does give a bunch of good stuff locally including a large amount of cav in your garrison and then -25% upkeep for all cav factionwide, which seems powerful enough to feel good about claiming and holding onto.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Anno posted:

I saw in one video that holding one of the horse resources allows you to build up a building chain that I don't think gives you any unique units but does give a bunch of good stuff locally including a large amount of cav in your garrison and then -25% upkeep for all cav factionwide, which seems powerful enough to feel good about claiming and holding onto.
I believe that it was -10% recruitment cost and -10% upkeep cost; the settlement I saw this in was the Horse Pasture(s) settlement (county?) of Dai commandery, in the vicinity of Gongsun Zan and Zhang Yan's starting positions -- and note that all of the few (three?) locations with the Horses resource are in the north of the playable map.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
To those more knowledgeable about the time period - are there any notorious warlords/factions that would be missing at launch and are very obvious candidates for DLC?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The roster is actually fairly robust, especially when you factor in unique generals that you can hire. The biggest blank spots are probably the people who arise a generation after the beginning of the era, like the Sima clan who usurped Wei and ultimately united China. Though I guess they might still pop up later in the campaign as hireable officers.

I could see them adding a barbarian Nanman faction led by the Meng Huo or whoever preceded him. He shows up in the Koei strategy games with a sexy wife so they could rip that off.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Azran posted:

To those more knowledgeable about the time period - are there any notorious warlords/factions that would be missing at launch and are very obvious candidates for DLC?

Liu Zhang controlled pretty much all the territory that constituted Shu-Han so he's noteworthy, altho he didn't have much interesting going on with him until Liu Bei came around and commit an egregious act of betrayal reluctantly and benevolently acquired his territory. North of him was Zhang Lu, head of a sect, and holder of Hanzhong and was at least regionally relevant. North of Ma Teng was Han Sui, a sometimes rival, sometimes ally of his and fellow bandit Loyal Follower of the Han. Meanwhile in the far north near Korea there was Gongsun Du, who pretty much carved out a petty little kingdom up there and that lasted until much much later when Sima Yi came knocking. Way, way down south is Shi Xie, who pretty much was an even less relevant Gongsun Du, afaik, and didn't do anything interesting, but is notable for being, I guess, a stable, constant presence in an otherwise very devoid region.

Theres more dudes who were around just for the Jian'an period that were gone before the Three Kingdoms actually emerged. I don't know if I'd call most of them relevant or notorious but then again they have Kong Rong and Ma Teng as playable so lol. Tao Qian is east of Cao Cao and notable for getting kicked around by him and then trying to pass his territory off to Liu Bei. You have a collection of dudes in the south whose careers are pretty much "Existed, then got crushed by Sun Ce"; those include Wang Lang, Yan Baihu, and Liu Yao. One governor in the north who participated in the coalition was Qiao Mao, who was notable for... being bad at military affairs and getting killed by Liu Dai (who got killed by the Yellow Turban remnants) and and getting replaced by Wang Gong, notable only for being "unable to resist the Black Mountain Bandits". Another coalition participant was Kong Zhou, who also died pretty soon after the coalition did its bit. Also in that region is Han Fu, who gets screwed over by Yuan Shao and Gongsun Zan right after the coalition breaks up.

One guy who was more relevant later was Zhang Xiu, who got into conflict with Cao Cao, but then in 200AD surrendered and then just became Cao Cao's general despite being responsible for his son's deaths because hey, water under the bridge. There was also Zhang Yang, another coalition participant who notably did not die immediately after like the other chumps mentioned and actually continued to be relevant for several years later, until he tried to get involved in the war between Yuan Shao and Cao Cao; he got assassinated, then his assassin got assassinated, and his territory was taken over by Yuan Shao. Still more relevant than Kong Rong!

Also, there's Liu Pi, who despite being the most significant of the Yellow Turban remnants, is not playable.

That's all I could scrape up from that date.

e: Later on the big novel character that isnt part of one of the three kingdoms is Meng Huo and the nanban, who serve as a big punching bag for Zhuge Liang in between his failed totally genius and merely thwarted by happenstance northern campaigns.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 29, 2019

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I could see them doing expansions back to the Warring States period (400 -200 BC) with you trying to be the first emperor of China. Or moving forward to the late Song period and dealing with the Mongols. Although neither of those periods have sweeping romantic epics like RoTK.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

Liu Zhang controlled pretty much all the territory that constituted Shu-Han so he's noteworthy, altho he didn't have much interesting going on with him until Liu Bei came around and commit an egregious act of betrayal reluctantly and benevolently acquired his territory. North of him was Zhang Lu, head of a sect, and holder of Hanzhong and was at least regionally relevant. North of Ma Teng was Han Sui, a sometimes rival, sometimes ally of his and fellow bandit Loyal Follower of the Han. Meanwhile in the far north near Korea there was Gongsun Du, who pretty much carved out a petty little kingdom up there and that lasted until much much later when Sima Yi came knocking. Way, way down south is Shi Xie, who pretty much was an even less relevant Gongsun Du, afaik, and didn't do anything interesting, but is notable for being, I guess, a stable, constant presence in an otherwise very devoid region.

Theres more dudes who were around just for the Jian'an period that were gone before the Three Kingdoms actually emerged. I don't know if I'd call most of them relevant or notorious but then again they have Kong Rong and Ma Teng as playable so lol. Tao Qian is east of Cao Cao and notable for getting kicked around by him and then trying to pass his territory off to Liu Bei. You have a collection of dudes in the south whose careers are pretty much "Existed, then got crushed by Sun Ce"; those include Wang Lang, Yan Baihu, and Liu Yao. One governor in the north who participated in the coalition was Qiao Mao, who was notable for... being bad at military affairs and getting killed by Liu Dai (who got killed by the Yellow Turban remnants) and and getting replaced by Wang Gong, notable only for being "unable to resist the Black Mountain Bandits". Another coalition participant was Kong Zhou, who also died pretty soon after the coalition did its bit. Also in that region is Han Fu, who gets screwed over by Yuan Shao and Gongsun Zan right after the coalition breaks up.

One guy who was more relevant later was Zhang Xiu, who got into conflict with Cao Cao, but then in 200AD surrendered and then just became Cao Cao's general despite being responsible for his son's deaths because hey, water under the bridge. There was also Zhang Yang, another coalition participant who notably did not die immediately after like the other chumps mentioned and actually continued to be relevant for several years later, until he tried to get involved in the war between Yuan Shao and Cao Cao; he got assassinated, then his assassin got assassinated, and his territory was taken over by Yuan Shao. Still more relevant than Kong Rong!

Also, there's Liu Pi, who despite being the most significant of the Yellow Turban remnants, is not playable.

That's all I could scrape up from that date.

e: Later on the big novel character that isnt part of one of the three kingdoms is Meng Huo and the nanban, who serve as a big punching bag for Zhuge Liang in between his failed totally genius and merely thwarted by happenstance northern campaigns.

Huh. This was a really thorough answer, thanks!

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
There's a big one I forgot, actually: Liu Yu, who controlled territory north of Gongsun Zan. He was a huge goody two shoes, the sort of guy most people think Liu Bei was supposed to be. He was so nice that the northern barbarians wouldn't cause him problems because he held a strange view of "lets not treat ethnic minorities like poo poo". Gongsun Zan disagreed on that and went out of his way to be a huge dick to the northern tribes; several other political spats came up and eventually Liu Yu, who was nominally Gongsun Zan's superior, cut off his allotment of supplies during his campaign against Yuan Shao. So Gongsun Zan started commit outright banditry, and refused to meet with Liu Yu to talk things over, so Liu Yu decided that Zan was probably plotting to betray him and decided to strike first. Unfortunately he really was a saint and he forbid his army from committing any sort of atrocity and tried to avoid casualties, while Gongsun Zan was a huge rear end in a top hat jerk and fought like one; this combined with a betrayal in Liu Yu's ranks resulted in his defeat. Gongsun Zan then later had Liu Yu executed on the absolute flimsiest of pretexts, after forcing some visiting Han official to "order" it.

Gongsun Zan never actually was appointed administrator, and the issue became moot later when he lost to Yuan Shao and killed himself via incineration after murdering his wife and sisters. Gongsun Zan sucked.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 29, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

Chortles posted:

I believe that it was -10% recruitment cost and -10% upkeep cost; the settlement I saw this in was the Horse Pasture(s) settlement (county?) of Dai commandery, in the vicinity of Gongsun Zan and Zhang Yan's starting positions -- and note that all of the few (three?) locations with the Horses resource are in the north of the playable map.

I think it was -5% per level of the building?

It’s cool though that they’re all in the north of the map. That should also help with some unique feelings campaigns. I wonder if some of their resources are like that.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Azran posted:

Huh. This was a really thorough answer, thanks!
Most of these people are in-game as AI-only factions, with Han Sui, Liu Zhang, and Tao Qian all having unique portraits while the rest look generic. In addendum to what Tiler Kiwi said:

Shi Xie was based out of what would eventually be part of Hanoi and had a bunch of regional notability, with said territory being represented in-game as Jiaozhi commandery.

Gongsun Du's pretty much the case on the Han Empire side of things for a potential 'Korea DLC' as discussed above, if only because most of his eventual territory is terra incognita in the base game with only Liaoxi commandery ("west of the Liao River") as inhabitable.

Gongsun Zan ended up 'getting Nagashino'd' nearly a year after the campaign start date at Jie Bridge, with Yan Gang (嚴綱, the vanguard that Gongsun Zan's faction starts with) being killed in the fighting.

Anno posted:

That should also help with some unique feelings campaigns. I wonder if some of their resources are like that.
One of Sun Jian's faction-wide-because-he's-leader bonuses from his background provides "+25% campaign movement range (starting in friendly sea regions)" but I don't know whether or not that's to be taken literally as strictly coastal (not helpful unless he makes it all the way eastward) or whether it applies to any commandery that's adjacent to the Yangtze River or the Yellow River (much more immediately useful).

Oh yes, here's a video of PartyElite trying the whole building tall thing but with Yuan Shao instead of Kong Rong.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 29, 2019

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Party In My Diapee posted:

Is there a high quality video showing off close ups of a battle? Still looks like a cartoon from what i've seen.

I feel like this has been a stipulation for non-Warhammer videos because they know it still looks worse than the games released 10-20 years ago. I had no interest in Thrones, because it felt like they really went out of their way to not show combat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZH5-oTRBGU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
is the campaign map only there to give context and narrative to the battles? or are the battles only there to give consequences and weight to the campaign? the game ends when your last campaign settlement is taken, or you decide you've taken enough of the enemies. i spend more time in and prefer the campaign layer.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

My gripe about the Totalwar games since Shogun 2 is some areas/provinces requiring more than 1 turn to move through even if it's your own land, I find it a complete wast of a turn

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Y6_d6lt2g

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Unironically proud of TW community for shouting down the guys mad about women in Rome II, then a few months later focusing on freaking out over the latest GoT episode.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Digging the Yellow Turban aesthetic.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Is there a good three kingdoms comic or manga? I like to read that kinda thing before I go to sleep, I'm finishing up Lone Wolf and Cub so today as soon as I finished work I jumped on Shogun 2.

Would be nice to get on the hype train for 3k in this way and I don't know much about the story other than dynasty warriors and watching some of that Chinese TV series about it

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
There isn't *a* Three Kingdom manga, there is *The* Three Kingdom manga - Sangokushi.

https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-213766

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

There isn't *a* Three Kingdom manga, there is *The* Three Kingdom manga - Sangokushi.

https://mangarock.com/manga/mrs-serie-213766

This looks good xie xie!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is what you should think of whenever you use/fight Lu Bu in Romance mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Is there a good three kingdoms comic or manga? I like to read that kinda thing before I go to sleep, I'm finishing up Lone Wolf and Cub so today as soon as I finished work I jumped on Shogun 2.

Would be nice to get on the hype train for 3k in this way and I don't know much about the story other than dynasty warriors and watching some of that Chinese TV series about it
As far as comics, I'm a fan of The Ravages of Time (火鳳燎原) but the first chapters set during the beginning of the anti-Dong Zhuo coalition are a slow-going, which I consider best enjoyed once you know the source material enough to know what it's subverting, deconstructing, reconstructing, or calling forward to. (For example, two OCs are eventually revealed to be the manga's versions of two lore characters.)

Hentai Jihadist posted:

This looks good xie xie!
According to Wikipedia this manga was based on a WWII historical novel of the same name (三国志) by Eiji Yoshikawa (you may have heard of his Musashi and Taiko?), serialized in a newspaper from August 26th, 1939 to September 5th, 1943 and which the mangaka had apparently read at his junior high school library, among other influences that the Yoshikawa novel had on Three Kingdoms lore & retellings in Japan -- for example, being the Japanese namesake of (and possibly influence on) the Koei strategy series which would elsewhere be localized as Romance of the Three Kingdoms (三国演義 aka the original novel from China). Speaking of which, the game box artist for a bunch of them also did covers for a ten-volume edition of the Yoshikawa novel from 2013.

… and now I just wiki-walked my way into a Meiji Period illustration of Sun Ce dual-wielding against Taishi Ci.