Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I went to go play basketball this morning and my E36 M3 only gave me 5 cylinders to go on. I haven't pulled the code to know which cylinder it is but I'll suspect a coil pack until otherwise proven wrong. It used to do a similar thing/misfire during the first start after coming out of storage over winter while a weak lifter pumped back into life, but I've been driving it semi-regularly so it shouldn't be that.

I'm considering getting out of this old car; it's taking up one of my two garage spots and every time I drive it I'm forced to think think, "what will break next?!?"

E: Top of page, here have a pic of the misbehaving vehicle. The CEL code is 0301 so #1 misfire. I'll swap the coil some time this week and see what happens.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone have suggestions on tires? These Bridgestone DriveGuard RFTs suck and I want them gone.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone have suggestions on tires? These Bridgestone DriveGuard RFTs suck and I want them gone.

PS4S all day every day.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Dadliest Worrier posted:

PS4S all day every day.

:emptyquote:

These are what I put on my M3 and my chariot is wild.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I'm sure this will be controversial but I might prefer all seasons as the weather where I am is very temperamental. E92 non sport package, and just a daily driver.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

I'm sure this will be controversial but I might prefer all seasons as the weather where I am is very temperamental. E92 non sport package, and just a daily driver.

Go all-weather.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

That is reasonable, but I don’t know the first thing about these so-called “seasons,” so I have no advice for you.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

IT'S CALLED A MAGAZINE

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Either get it fixed for real or be honest about the condition. It may not be a dealbreaker for most buyers.

Yeah this is my real plan. Is an "Upholstery Shop" the name of what I'm looking for to get an estimate? Can they do it for a reasonable amount of money or am I better off just listing it as-is?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah mate exactly there. Maybe is more undulation than I thought looking at vid.

There's definitely a weird off-camber spot there that can do exactly what I imagine happened to you. Good work on the recovery because you could have easily had both ends hitting something in that little section. Car looks pretty intact given it's short 46 E's to begin with....!!

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

No seriously, something non runflat like PS4, along with a lighter wheel like an actual M Sport or from Apex Race Parts will make a HUGE difference in that car. I did Pilot Super Sports and Apex Arc 8s, and dropped something like eight pounds of rotational mass on each corner. It really makes the car a lot more peppy.

Also, I have a set of OEM rims, with Conti all seasons (no tpms) north of Philly, if you want a deal on a second set of oem rims. (I was a dumbass and left the Apex wheels on at trade in. :smith: )

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

I really like the A/S3+s on :siren: My M3 :siren: for daily driver duty.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cobalt60 posted:

Yeah this is my real plan. Is an "Upholstery Shop" the name of what I'm looking for to get an estimate? Can they do it for a reasonable amount of money or am I better off just listing it as-is?
Yes, an upholstery shop is what you'd be looking for, one that does automotive stuff. Ask around if you can get anyone to give a recommendation.

I don't remember if ECS is good or bad now, but they sell replacement pieces. They're kind of expensive but I don't know what an upholstery shop would charge.

If the car is pretty nice otherwise, I think it'd be worth fixing. But if it's going to be sold as a "cheap bmw" on craigslist or facebook it's probably not worth fixing.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The problem with getting new ones or good condition ones is that they will inevitably fall off again. Mine in my e46m are peeling off in the back and bunched up in the front and I am trying to decide what to do with them now

Also getting rod bearings installed this weekend because maintenance items :shepspends:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nodoze posted:

The problem with getting new ones or good condition ones is that they will inevitably fall off again. Mine in my e46m are peeling off in the back and bunched up in the front and I am trying to decide what to do with them now

New ones will last a while, at least. The A- and C-pillars in my ZHP were falling down when I bought it and the replacements lasted me for the whole time that I had the car. With the E46 that I had before that, my repairs (even with good adhesive) lasted, like, maybe a couple of months.

Cobalt, if you can pull down the pillars and the whole headliner board and take them to an upholstery shop that's probably going to be your cheapest option. When I called around about this ages ago, most of the shops I called added a ton to their labor if they had to remove the pillars and headliner board themselves. Replacing the whole headliner is going to be expensive so it's probably worth having that fixed, especially since you'll need to also replace the alarm cover thingy if the headliner is falling down on that too.

If your interior is in good shape otherwise then definitely do it. E46s with interiors that haven't been beat to poo poo are rare and you'll definitely get a premium for yours if the whole package is good.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Paradoxish posted:

New ones will last a while, at least. The A- and C-pillars in my ZHP were falling down when I bought it and the replacements lasted me for the whole time that I had the car. With the E46 that I had before that, my repairs (even with good adhesive) lasted, like, maybe a couple of months.

Cobalt, if you can pull down the pillars and the whole headliner board and take them to an upholstery shop that's probably going to be your cheapest option. When I called around about this ages ago, most of the shops I called added a ton to their labor if they had to remove the pillars and headliner board themselves. Replacing the whole headliner is going to be expensive so it's probably worth having that fixed, especially since you'll need to also replace the alarm cover thingy if the headliner is falling down on that too.

If your interior is in good shape otherwise then definitely do it. E46s with interiors that haven't been beat to poo poo are rare and you'll definitely get a premium for yours if the whole package is good.

Yeah my interior is almost mint. I swapped in a clean cinnamon interior and when I did the conversion to black from gray I bought all new black trim pieces. I also have a new shift knob and new steering wheel

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Alarbus posted:

No seriously, something non runflat like PS4, along with a lighter wheel like an actual M Sport or from Apex Race Parts will make a HUGE difference in that car. I did Pilot Super Sports and Apex Arc 8s, and dropped something like eight pounds of rotational mass on each corner. It really makes the car a lot more peppy.

Also, I have a set of OEM rims, with Conti all seasons (no tpms) north of Philly, if you want a deal on a second set of oem rims. (I was a dumbass and left the Apex wheels on at trade in. :smith: )
You have a PM.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Replied twice because I apparently don't understand how to send pms in the mobile app.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Thanks to you all for the input and I'm hoping to get these last to-dos wrapped ASAP so I can get this car sold properly. Much appreciated!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
is this still the chosen tow-hook license plate holder?
https://www.bimmerworld.com/Body-Aero/BMW_Performance_Body_Accessories/cp-e-TowPlate-No-Holes-License-Plate-Mount-E9X-M3.html

This dumb state I live in

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think I should get a new license plate mount because my current one doesn't go the the edge of the plate, and the plate gets bent by the car wash flaps because my cursed area has no touchless car washes.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Cojawfee posted:

I think I should get a new license plate mount because my current one doesn't go the the edge of the plate, and the plate gets bent by the car wash flaps because my cursed area has no touchless car washes.

Nah, just move to a place where you don’t have to have a front plate!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just live in a city where the police have way to much other poo poo to worry about.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I don't know about that one, but I have one from US Millworks on my GTI and it owns. Will buy from them again if I ever need another.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Popete posted:

Just live in a city where the police have way to much other poo poo to worry about.

That is my general philosophy. But unfortunately lately they're getting me in the two hours a month I park outside on the street somewhere. I used to be able to lay the front plate on the dash when needed but apparently that's not good enough in TYOOL 2019. About 50% of cars in this city don't have front license plates so they've obviously identified a bigly revenue stream.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

I don't know about that one, but I have one from US Millworks on my GTI and it owns. Will buy from them again if I ever need another.

Thanks, that's the other one I was looking at.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

gently caress, this pops up after i've given up on getting one

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

Do the needful. :10bux: :homebrew:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Okay, weird issue. My instrument cluster randomly shuts off and reboots when I take one exit off the interstate near me. I'm not certain if it's related to the GPS and heads up display, but that's my best guess. It always happens at the one exit (three times so far) and never anywhere else.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

Yo this too https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-bmw-m3-83/

simble
May 11, 2004

Uthor posted:

Okay, weird issue. My instrument cluster randomly shuts off and reboots when I take one exit off the interstate near me. I'm not certain if it's related to the GPS and heads up display, but that's my best guess. It always happens at the one exit (three times so far) and never anywhere else.

Are you on active navigation when this happens?

This used to happen to me when I downshifted coming off the freeway in my '16 F32. When the service adviser asked me that question and said it could be fixed with a software update I didn't believe him. But, it fixed it so...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

simble posted:

Are you on active navigation when this happens?

This used to happen to me when I downshifted coming off the freeway in my '16 F32. When the service adviser asked me that question and said it could be fixed with a software update I didn't believe him. But, it fixed it so...

Yeah, I am using navigation. It's a bunch of ramps and a frontage road, so I was guess the heads up display gets garbled and crashes. Gotta try it once without navigation, but I don't go that way often.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
lol almost exactly 5 weeks after I bought the E82 the expansion tank cracked. GDCS.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

oh gently caress me I may do this

edit- I just drove a car back to CT from SC, driving another one back from CA is totally reasonable right guys

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Paradoxish posted:

oh gently caress me I may do this

edit- I just drove a car back to CT from SC, driving another one back from CA is totally reasonable right guys

Absolutely. Just going for a relaxing drive across the continent!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You can use the state of Nebraska to really air it out.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Do I need to disconnect the battery on my e92 while installing these Lux H8 180 "angel eyes"?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Do I need to disconnect the battery on my e92 while installing these Lux H8 180 "angel eyes"?

I wouldn't say you need to. Turning the car off and waiting 15 minutes for the electronics to all shut off (and leaving your keys far away if you have comfort access) and not putting the headlight plug in your mouth should be good enough.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Potentially purchasing a 2010 Z4 35iS, anyone got any objections or things to look out for?

Pibur
Jan 28, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

I wouldn't say you need to. Turning the car off and waiting 15 minutes for the electronics to all shut off (and leaving your keys far away if you have comfort access) and not putting the headlight plug in your mouth should be good enough.

Counter: It take 30 seconds to disconnect a battery and electricity isn't something to gently caress with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Don't believe so, it's just a different type of bulb. I forget which ones I put on my 2009, but the two gotchas I ran into were: 1) The plastic bit on the bayonet for the bulb was too thick and I had to sand it a bit to fit into the car. Yay tolerances. 2) The wires were really goddamn skinny and I broke one loving with #1. 10 seconds with a soldering iron fixed that.