Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'll just leave this here.

Gandini designed this for the 69 Turin show, the Stratos Zero was a Gandini design at the 1970 show. It's obvious the above Autobianchi Runabout heavily inspired the Stratos HF design as well as the X-19.

Nice head lights. :dadjoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

NoWake posted:

Nice head lights. :dadjoke:

Watch your blinding spots.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Crash it, throw the guts into something else. Like a Mini Moke that is utterly terrifying to drive. Or a Subaru wagon with a third party controller to go with a P90D driveline and a Prius battery pack that gives it about 80km range at the moment and quite a kick in the rear end even while the power delivery heat issues are figured out. I firmly deny I know anything if those two swaps exist and are currently in working order as daily drivers.

If such conversions did exist, hypothetically what controller would be used, and about how much would the nonexistent parts cost? Asking for a friend who might have a bunch of non-running RX-7s. Sounds fascinating.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
E: NM

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Oh mama!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Looks like some straight up LSD-era hotwheels poo poo

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Looks like a missed opportunity to go dual-engine :mad:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Like the hurst hairy olds

e:

quote:

Although the drive chains held up admirably, the car was not without its problems. The tremendous amount of power at the front wheels caused massive torque steer, resulting in difficulty in keeping the car in a straight line. The rear engine contributed to unloading of the front wheels, which in turn caused the front engine to overspeed. Visibility was poor as well due to tire smoke from both ends of the car. This coupled with engine oil spray out of the valve cover breathers because of the pressure of the superchargers.

WITNESS!

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 28, 2019

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What's that from? It's sexy as hell.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
TEMS is Toyotas adjustable suspension, and that redline screams diesel. Prado maybe?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Whatever it is, they installed the PRNDL backwards.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Nidhg00670000 posted:

TEMS is Toyotas adjustable suspension, and that redline screams diesel. Prado maybe?

that led me to looking around and running across something I'm not sure I'd seen before:

:eyepop:

Vector W8. I think I remember the car as a thing that existed once upon a time, but nothing about this vibe the interior had...

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

is...is that a driver accessible neatly labeled fuse board w/ ratings? or buttans?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Bulgakov posted:

is...is that a driver accessible neatly labeled fuse board w/ ratings? or buttans?

Resettable circuit breakers.

A Hobbs meter too. Whoever designed that dash has a serious aviation fetish.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
the vector twin turbo was on my wall as a kid i love that car so loving much

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

I’m a little disappointed re the concept versus reality. The concept has an old school Hemi-style drag engine in it (albeit sans fuel and ignition system...) and the real one seems to have a new “Hemi” in it. While a Hellcat or whatever is impressive, it’s difficult to beat the visual impact of an actual Roots-blown Hemi.

MrYenko posted:

A Hobbs meter too. Whoever designed that dash has a serious aviation fetish.

“Jet fighter cockpit” was very much the intention of the original Vectors. You’ll note that there is also a configurable plasma information display as well.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Powershift posted:

Like the hurst hairy olds

e:

WITNESS!

I still want Finnegan and Freiburger to make their own take on this. The Dirt Every Day guys did it with a cadillac but it wasn't quite the same, it was too... competent.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sneakyfrog posted:

the vector twin turbo was on my wall as a kid i love that car so loving much

I got to see one of the prototypes at a “new car” show when they were still American made, American owned, with a bespoke V8 back in the day. It was a very cool car. The twin turbo thing was still exotic back then as well.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

I still want Finnegan and Freiburger to make their own take on this. The Dirt Every Day guys did it with a cadillac but it wasn't quite the same, it was too... competent.

I’d like to see that, but I don’t know *where* I’d see that, since I refuse to pay for yet another media subscription for the one or two shows I’d watch. Screw you Media conglomerates.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

Someone ran le mons in one a few years ago.

http://www.roadkill.com/24-hours-lemons-twin-engine-1971-cadillac-eldorado-16-cylinders-1000-cubic-inches/

quote:

That glory was short-lived. After a first stint in which 1,000 cubic inches drank up 22 gallons of gas in an hour, the front engine tossed one of its substantial connecting rods through the engine block. It killed the starter and ripped up the transmission bellhousing on its way out.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

MrYenko posted:

oh duh, that makes much more sense :tipshat:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol at the mid-event transformation

to

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

“Jet fighter cockpit” was very much the intention of the original Vectors. You’ll note that there is also a configurable plasma information display as well.
I believe it actually is aviation kit. One of the former Vector engineers (who owns one) turned up on PistonHeads and said there's stuff in there directly lifted from contemporary jets.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

I believe it actually is aviation kit. One of the former Vector engineers (who owns one) turned up on PistonHeads and said there's stuff in there directly lifted from contemporary jets.

They called themselves Vector Aeromotive for a reason. Big time jet fetish.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

MrYenko posted:

Aviation style. I've never seen that in a car.

Darchangel posted:

Well, that explains it.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a29216/vector-w8-twin-turbo-first-drive/

That Vector was a lot more high-end than I thought it was

lol at the 3 speed GM automatic though

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

incels interlinked posted:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a29216/vector-w8-twin-turbo-first-drive/

so of the end of its time

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

incels interlinked posted:

The number of transmissions in production at that time that could deal with that much power on big tires was probably zero, and the number of longitudinally-mounted transmissions that would bolt to that engine block was precisely one.

They don’t mention who their transmission subcontractor was, either.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

The number of transmissions in production at that time that could deal with that much power on big tires was probably zero, and the number of longitudinally-mounted transmissions that would bolt to that engine block was precisely one.

They don’t mention who their transmission subcontractor was, either.

They mention it was heavily customized to deal with the torque. It obviously wasn't something off the shelf, but if you are going all out trying to compete with world-class supercars it seems like an odd choice in retrospect. Those gears must have been tall as gently caress

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Big gear steps; the R&T article *does* list the ratios, you know.

I know there was stuff like the Hewland LG boxes that would hold the power, and the Porsche 930 boxes but ... enh, lot of weird design choices on that thing. Dedion rear?

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I bet a NASCAR team would have sold them transmissions. But, I'm sure they had their reasons since they obviously put a lot of thought into the design and engineering

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lord Stimperor posted:

What's that from? It's sexy as hell.

1993 Toyota HiAce ~Super Custom Limited~. Normal Super Customs seem to have gotten standard gauges, where the LIMITED version on top of that got digital.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Close, shares the engine with KZ Prados but afaik Prados never got digital gauges.

Bulgakov posted:

that led me to looking around and running across something I'm not sure I'd seen before:

:eyepop:

Vector W8. I think I remember the car as a thing that existed once upon a time, but nothing about this vibe the interior had...

Vector W8 Twin Turbo was my bedroom wall poster car, and I would constantly argue with other kids about what car was the fastest. :allears:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FPyaY_Rq-w

:discourse:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

OMG the exclamation point makes it seem so excited. "I'm a Fiat!" Yes you are, little buddy. :kimchi:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

https://www.weathertech.com/titanium-license-plate-frame/

:stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Definitely not awesome.

Also a holder always makes your license plate look worse. Fight me

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
10/10 would steal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hey, anyone who can crack that "this is better because it costs more" market, good luck to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Sagebrush posted:

Also a holder always makes your license plate look worse. Fight me

No, because you are 100% correct.