Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a Behind the Bastards on John McAfee that's definitely worth a listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now they need to do one about John McAfee

The Behind the Bastards ep on him pretty much had him covered IMHO.

I watched the Netflix documentary on him with my parents. Let's just say it got super awkward at certain points.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 28, 2019

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gripweed posted:

The most recent Chapo Trap House briefly touched on the Anti-Masonic Party and that guy who vanished and everybody thought the freemasons killed him. It sounded very familiar to me, did the Dollop ever do an episode on that guy, or the Anti-Masonic Party, or the Freemasons?
there was Rod Ansell, the original Crocodile Dundee, who got hooked on meth and thought his son was kidnapped by freemasons and cops had to put 20-some bullets into him to take him down

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now they need to do one about John McAfee

I asked on Twitter. Dave said they never will.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Dave has said on the podcast itself that they will not do a John McAfee episode because they don't cover rapists

which was probably just a quip for the live audience because they've done an episode about Errol Flynn but whatever

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Alaois posted:

Dave has said on the podcast itself that they will not do a John McAfee episode because they don't cover rapists

which was probably just a quip for the live audience because they've done an episode about Errol Flynn but whatever

They also did Trump

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

They also did Trump

i was sure when i posted that they'd done other people who've raped but Errol Flynn was the one who came to mind

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i feel like they should do george wallace. i know they did he attempted assassin but a full episode on wallace would be interesting because he is basically a proto trump populast type who fell into the "race meme" poo poo and then got worse and worse and actually believed it until he realized it didnt work and pretended to turn the other cheek. plus they could talk about how many dems who are still kicking were buddies with him.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Personally I don't want them to ever mention anything that has any paralells to current events again. Everytime they do, I have to shut the episode off out of sheer depression.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

Personally I don't want them to ever mention anything that has any paralells to current events again. Everytime they do, I have to shut the episode off out of sheer depression.

oh i understand that. at least this story has a happyish ending. he gets paralyzed and his health and likability deteriorates more and more and more, at the end he realizes he is monsters and dies.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I will say that the ep on the Know Nothing Party did strike a pretty good balance between "nothing has changed, time is a flat circle, we're hosed" and "Well, the current situation could be a LOT loving worse" for me.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

ah....i have some bad news about the relationship between history and reality

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

scary ghost dog posted:

ah....i have some bad news about the relationship between history and reality

It rhymes, and not like with tight lyrics and a solid beat. Instead it's like poems from the worst poet in UK history.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the episodes with parallels to modern day are fine it's just when they spend like 5 minutes going "boy i sure am glad we've changed so much in the time since and there's absolutely nothing now that is anything like this" that everything drags and i want to smack them both

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

AceOfFlames posted:

The Behind the Bastards ep on him pretty much had him covered IMHO.

Just listened to this. I thought he was a quirky funny libertarian guy, who does drugs. Ah well.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mike12345 posted:

Just listened to this. I thought he was a quirky funny libertarian guy, who does drugs. Ah well.

Turns out he's also a rapist and scat fetishist!

Even though the ep is explicitly titled "John McAfee is not funny anymore", I actually found it pretty funny other than those spoilered incidents. Especially his goofy rear end "escape" from Belize.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
That's part of the problem, you want to enjoy this fun story of this guy's ridiculous life, but any time you start to you remember he's a rapist and his antics become disgusting. Even the hosts had to keep reminding themselves of that fact and lamenting it. It's probably why Dave doesn't usually cover rapists, telling a story about one inherently glorifies most of their life, so he's really only talked about ones so despicable that they lack even a moment where you'd be on their side.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea basically everything about him BUT the rapist stuff is really funny and it's really hard not to talk about that 90% without laughing at how insane and weird it is.

Then, ya know, you get to the rape and go 'oh, right, this guy is actually a dangerous psycho not just a silly internet man'.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

They did an episode on Errol Flynn.
And Donald Trump.

Dave just being Dave.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Alaois posted:

the episodes with parallels to modern day are fine it's just when they spend like 5 minutes going "boy i sure am glad we've changed so much in the time since and there's absolutely nothing now that is anything like this" that everything drags and i want to smack them both

i think behind the behind bastards does that better. they show the rhetoric of the hard right hasnt changed that much really but also that stuff has gotten alot better, its just more needs to be done.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Previa_fun posted:

They did an episode on Errol Flynn.
And Donald Trump.

Dave just being Dave.

The Errol Flynn one :allbuttons:
You just want to time travel and kick that fucker in the junk.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I literally stop during the day occasionally and think about that episode.

Like it embedded in my brain in such a way that it feels the need to keep reminding me. I'm never allowed to forget what a shitlord famous Hollywood movie star Errol Flynn was.

ZorpZuppins
Nov 8, 2012

mrfart posted:

The Errol Flynn one :allbuttons:
You just want to time travel and kick that fucker in the junk.

Strongly agree. The bit about him being hosed for life by the worst possible alimony deal becomes very satisfying after hearing what an absolute trash man he was.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

By the time I finished the Errol Flynn so, I was absolutely floored and couldn't think anything other than "Errol Flynn was a loving MONSTER". It's pretty darkly hilarious that the urban legend of him being a Nazi still persists to this day when that seems to be the only atrocity he DIDN'T commit (and even then I wouldn't put it past him).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pie episode is fun.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I haven’t been listening much lately, my podcast consumption has dropped a lot. Is plan it change 10 going anywhere yet, or is it still Dave talking to a bunch of folks who agree about how bad stuff is and then nothing happens?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
They got the paperwork blessed by the state and now it's...still talking to people to figure things out.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Really did go deep in that pie hole

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Just listened to the Errol Flynn episode,. Apparently I skipped over it for some reason

anyway yep that was exactly what I expected (except for the bit about the ducks in the beginning because there's no way to expect something like that)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I feel like I know way too much about mince pies now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love mince pie, is this episode gonna ruin one of my favorite winter treats?

Like on a scale of 'wholesome if a little weird and silly' to 'Kellogg' where are we sitting here

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

sexpig by night posted:

Like on a scale of 'wholesome if a little weird and silly' to 'Kellogg' where are we sitting here

I mean, it's not quite Kellogg territory, in that no one uses mince pies for enemas.

Defense in court, yes, but not enemas.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

sexpig by night posted:

how many times have you shot someone high on pie

or shot someone because they wouldn't give you pie

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Who here hasn't baked a mince pie baby Jesus crib?

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

I like to make chebureki and pirozkhi, which are two types of meat filled dumplings. I have not tried making an english style mince pie, though this episode had me looking at recipes for them

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Episodes like this are why I love the Dollop so much

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is this episode Straw Hat Riot 2 or The Dark Secret of Swimming Pools 2

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

Neither, really. It's its own brand of pie-based lunacy (also spoiler alert the Puritans were insane)

More in common with the straw hat riot though, in that it involves a thing that its hard to picture people getting worked up about today

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I finally listened and, like, I get it. minced pie is good as hell. I'd probably try to kill a dude who pie-teased me too

Yea this is 100% Straw Hat Riots style Dollop, nothing sinister or dark, nothing even that creepy or weird, just a thing that you have no idea how this is even a thing people cared about let alone got THIS worked up about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

There is the one part where a man kills his wife and the judge says she’s partially to blame for feeding him pie, which caused him to murder her in the midst of a pie-induced nightmare. However this judgment was apparently the subject of ridicule even in its time.