Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sydin posted:

Because anybody in the crypts of Winterfell should have loving turned to dust at this point. Ned is the last person to have been entombed there and not only was that (by show years) 7 years ago, he didn't end up being risen anyway.

You do know that it takes 40-50 years for skeletons to turn to dust right? In medieval lifespan times thats quite a few generations of Starks for the Night King to raise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Majorian posted:

This. Death rarely happens sentimentally or ceremoniously in this show.

I was going to say, prophecies usually don't amount to poo poo in this show. Anyone remember the Stallion who Mounts the World? The Prince who was Promised is just words.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

As Nero Danced posted:

I was going to say, prophecies usually don't amount to poo poo in this show. Anyone remember the Stallion who Mounts the World?
literally every prophecy Melisandre made in her entire drat life turned out to be wrong, lol

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

veni veni veni posted:

That episode was fun but it was about as safe as it could have possibly been. Everyone’s plot armor was so thick lol.

It had to be. The Night King needed to die this episode or else the rest of the show is "giant undead army with 3 undead dragons freezing everything and murdering everyone."

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
this was dumb as hell but kinda cool in individual scenes.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I actually like the idea of Arya killing the Night King but I thought with the amped up magic going on it would have involved some faceless man voodoo or something instead of just running up and stabbing him. Like I don't know maybe she can get around the zombies because the whole "you are no one" thing makes her seem like another dead person to them. Or something with face swapping. Whatever I still enjoyed her stabbing him and Jon being useless.

I am disappointed the supernatural poo poo just ended like that with all the build up but I guess the show is just doing its own thing. Or maybe something weird will happen with Bran because really what the gently caress was he even doing that whole time. Pecking at the Night King to get him to hurry up so Arya could stab him?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

I was going to say, prophecies usually don't amount to poo poo in this show. Anyone remember the Stallion who Mounts the World?

The greatest dead baby joke ever told.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

shirts and skins posted:

Wait, wasn't there some kind of vision of King's Landing in winter? Are we just not doing that now?

I mean presumably winter would happen without zombies, just maybe it won't be so bad

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Deus ex Arya not do it for you? She killed my fav char too

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
grrm himself said he had no idea what to do with the white walkers so as usual hbo writers had to do his work for him and their decision was basically 'your ideas suck, so here's some fan service you old lazy fatty"

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Oh also the bone decomposition thing only works if the Starks don't embalm the dead in which case those babies could stick around for quite a while longer (egyptian mummies longer)

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
for a tv show? Come on. A movie has like 4 years to craft 2-3 hours. This poo poo is like 7-8 hours a year.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

The Walrus posted:

this was dumb as hell but kinda cool in individual scenes.
Solid summary of the entire show imo

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Wiltsghost posted:

Did Tormund do anything this episode? I can't remember even seeing him.

Yeah, he was the one fighting on top of that giant corpse mound in the center of the courtyard.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Great episode minus not being able to see poo poo. Made even worse with the loving grey all over. I still have a plasma TV so the blacks were deep and some scenes were just darkness with no details.

Kinda hosed up.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

JT Jag posted:

literally every prophecy Melisandre made in her entire drat life turned out to be wrong, lol

But dang wasn't she good at lighting zombies and children on fire.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
arya teleport stabbing the night king is so lazy and anticlimactic. I cant believe it'll happen like that in the books.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Sky Shadowing posted:

Littlefinger said he returned it, his body was in the crypt.
Knowing Littlefinger, the only way it was actually Ned Stark's bones is if it somehow happened to be more convenient to get his bones than some other poor slob's.

Having been extremely pessimistic about the direction of the writing/directing for the last few seasons, I'm pretty shocked that I was satisfied with this episode. Arya icing the Night King is the only part that felt stupid and out of place, but I doubt they could have done much better.

I just wish Lyanna Mormont had lived, however grievously wounded, and gone on to earn the title Giantslayer :sadwave:

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, he was the one fighting on top of that giant corpse mound in the center of the courtyard.

Yeah, for Tormund it was just Tuesday.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Cross-Section posted:

Honestly this bit felt pretty true to the show imo

I mean sort of, but the other "unceremonious" killings tended to usually have stuff that made sense in retrospect. Like of course Ned would fail because he's acting with honor in a world that only recognizes martial power. Of course Rob would die because he snubbed a bunch of treacherous asshats and then went to celebrate another wedding. Those twists tended to work because we were expecting high fantasy narratives and got a jolt of realpolitik instead.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget Drogo dying from an infection because yeah you moron battle scars get infected.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fast Luck posted:

Arya doing it makes sense but Arya out of nowhere was a bit goofy. Also goofy Arya getting special music and killing 50 dudes then suddenly Arya hiding in a library from a few fandoms skulking about

Agree. Arya killing him as the faceless assassin makes sense, but telekill out of nowhere, after she was just scared of some mooks?

Melisandre gave her courage but comeon..

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

JT Jag posted:

She told Arya she would kill people with "blue eyes"

CHECKMATE

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dolphin posted:

grrm himself said he had no idea what to do with the white walkers so as usual hbo writers had to do his work for him and their decision was basically 'your ideas suck, so here's some fan service you old lazy fatty"

This. Everyone who didn't like this episode needs to remember that GRRM isn't as good a writer as they remember when they were teens reading the first couple books.

Also my wife just brought up a good point, which is, "Why the gently caress didn't the Starks burn the bodies in the crypts?"

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Great episode minus not being able to see poo poo. Made even worse with the loving grey all over. I still have a plasma TV so the blacks were deep and some scenes were just darkness with no details.

Kinda hosed up.

yeah. I feel this was a money choice. Dont have to render something if its dark.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Walrus posted:

arya teleport stabbing the night king is so lazy and anticlimactic. I cant believe it'll happen like that in the books.

It 100% won't happen like that in the books because another page will never be written.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
"I too would rather drag out a motivation-less nightking zombie horde instead of ending on the interpersonal tension and emotional conflict that represents the show at it's best."

LOL i just Arya'd your arguments, ya goofs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also maybe I'm misremembering my lore but wasn't Valarian Steel's whole thing that it was forged in dragon fire? Also isn't the whole point of "dragon glass" that it's obsidian and thus also forged in fire? Why would the Night King be vulnerable to either of those but not to actual dragon fire itself?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I liked the running theme that Melisandre was actually not a very good red priest, and when she ran into people who were actually good she got all insecure.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
arya should havr been hiding in the wheelchair under bran's cloak IMO

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I just can't believe that not a single major character died in this episode, yeah we lost some supporting characters, but gently caress. The last time a death really felt visceral was what, maybe season 4 with the Viper eating it. Sure Jon died in 6, but we all knew his rear end was coming back.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

I just wish Lyanna Mormont had lived, however grievously wounded, and gone on to earn the title Giantslayer :sadwave:

This was the best death but also the saddest. :(

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

Agree. Arya killing him as the faceless assassin makes sense, but telekill out of nowhere, after she was just scared of some mooks?

Melisandre gave her courage but comeon..
Arya being scared in the library didnt really make sense either considering how she was wrecking shop on the walls

But I guess they wanted to shoot a little horror movie scene so more power to em

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Did any dothraki survive that initial charge? I feel like I remember seeing some staggering back, but it was all so chaotic after that.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
yeah the major problem this episode had was 1000 year old spoopy skeletons coming back to life

if you cut the skeletons out then this episode becomes perfect in every way

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

I said come in! posted:

Well, we got Jorah for our important character death in my opinion. He has been on the show since episode 1.

Theon too!

And Theon just died to buy Arya a few seconds because all of a sudden she was afraid, uncharacteristically.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnEdgelord posted:

Oh also the bone decomposition thing only works if the Starks don't embalm the dead in which case those babies could stick around for quite a while longer (egyptian mummies longer)
winterfell is also cold as all gently caress, for all we know the ground temperature is just slightly above freezing or even freezing most of the time

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Majorian posted:

I liked the running theme that Melisandre was actually not a very good red priest, and when she ran into people who were actually good she got all insecure.

They kept sending her back to westeros because she was such a screw-up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sydin posted:

Also maybe I'm misremembering my lore but wasn't Valarian Steel's whole thing that it was forged in dragon fire? Also isn't the whole point of "dragon glass" that it's obsidian and thus also forged in fire? Why would the Night King be vulnerable to either of those but not to actual dragon fire itself?

Stop thinking about it and just enjoy the sweet kill.

Arya should've asked Dany for some sick one liners so she could've said one too. Then smirked at the camera.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mary had a little clam posted:

"I too would rather drag out a motivation-less nightking zombie horde instead of ending on the interpersonal tension and emotional conflict that represents the show at it's best."

LOL i just Arya'd your arguments, ya goofs.

Thank you, yes.

wilderthanmild posted:

Did any dothraki survive that initial charge? I feel like I remember seeing some staggering back, but it was all so chaotic after that.

Probably. Jorah and Ghost survived, so I'd expect one or two others staggered back.

e: \/\/\/yeah, probably didn't survive much longer after that though\/\/\/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

The initial charge yeah, not sure about the battle.