Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Countblanc posted:

it doesnt help that the show revolves around some bizarro world logic, or at least used to, and moves do completely different, seemingly random things compared to their in-game analogues a lot of the time

Oh yeah, although it was probably even worse in the original series than in AG. You get things like Safeguard being used as Protect, Aromatherapy and Heal Bell actually healing instead of just curing status conditions, Mirror Coat only sometimes existing as a distinct move from Counter, moves like Swift and Aerial Ace missing, moves like Scratch and Tackle being treated as more powerful than they are in the games...

I don't mind the anime doing things differently from the games, but it does often feel like the writers are doing so by mistake instead of deliberately, especially since the same game mechanic that's ignored in one episode is sometimes followed in another. The most annoying example of this is the way the writers can't seem to decide how closely they're following the games' type chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

HopperUK posted:

wtf are you doing here if you don't have a strong opinion

did you even read the post, i said i have strong opinions!!!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Why the hell isn't there a pokemon called Kick Lad?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s8Kptm6L4I

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Vandar posted:

Golem is a kaiju. It's based on a baddie from Ultraman, I think.

i cant tell if this drags it down or makes it look better by comparison

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Potamus and Padpole could easily be Pokemon names

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Countblanc posted:

it doesnt help that the show revolves around some bizarro world logic, or at least used to, and moves do completely different, seemingly random things compared to their in-game analogues a lot of the time

Lmao yeah, just saw the first episode and Pikachu cleaned house using Quick Attack and Thunder(bolt?) on multiple Pokemon at once.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The ever present hope that the anime is somehow going to be good never fails to depress me. It's like a bunch of children hovering around a dead rabbit hoping he'll wake up soon.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flopsy posted:

The ever present hope that the anime is somehow going to be good never fails to depress me. It's like a bunch of children hovering around a dead rabbit hoping he'll wake up soon.

I mean, sometimes it’s good? That doesn’t mean it’s worth watching every episode, obviously (personally, I just read summaries for most of the Johto ones in particular), but it’s not like it’s never had a good episode.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

Even when it's good it's still very much aimed at children.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I only watch episodes when I see a post somewhere about the latest episode being good. And most of the time they’re right so I guess the show is cool now probably.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Sophocles is really serving date rapist vibes wrt Rotom Dex

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Speaking of the show: https://www.them.us/story/maddie-blaustein-pokemon

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The anime is good right now.

For SM it decided to stop being the pokemon anime* and start being a wholesome slice of life anime that heavily features pokemon. It's definitely still a kid's anime, but now it's worth watching each episode instead of, like, 17/148 in each series.

I get the complaint that Mallow was handled "bad", out of the six main cast members she deffo gets the least episodes, and most of the time they end up secretly being another character's episode. But for an ensemble cast like this, and with how supportive she is to everyone else, I think it's a fair trade.

This is by far the best cast Ash has ever hung out with. Team Rocket is at their most powerful and handling the perfect balance of non-evil competence and being shitbirds. Animation is always nice. The two-episode story arcs are almost always bangers. My only real complaint is that the 5+ episode arcs almost always have a letdown finale.

Anyway, we'll be talking way more about how good the anime is when next week Lana evolves ribrianne and catches Kyogre.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXfNYArLdHA

*meaning act 1, ash and co walk to a new place and meet some person with a pokemon and an issue, act 2 they try to solve the issue, act 3 team rocket did a bad thing and by defeating them in tepid battle, the person's problem is solved. Every few months go meet a gym leader, and every now and then have an actually interesting story kinda.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

*meaning act 1, ash and co walk to a new place and meet some person with a pokemon and an issue, act 2 they try to solve the issue, act 3 team rocket did a bad thing and by defeating them in tepid battle, the person's problem is solved. Every few months go meet a gym leader, and every now and then have an actually interesting story kinda.
While that's true, there's also the BW anime method, which was more like

act 1, ash and co walk to a new place and meet some pokemon and an issue, act 2 they try to solve the issue, act 3 by defeating some other Pokémon in tepid battle, the Pokemon's problem is solved. Team Rocket probably won't show up.

There's also a bunch of tournament arcs, so that every recurring character has time to say their catchphrase and pretty much nothing else except for their catchphrase. This includes all of Ash's traveling buddies.

It's kind of impressive that they took such a barebones show as Pokémon and just stripped it to the bare minimum. People blame it on the earthquake but honestly the episodes before it are even more barren than afterwards

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Waterfall of Salt posted:

While that's true, there's also the BW anime method, which was more like

act 1, ash and co walk to a new place and meet some pokemon and an issue, act 2 they try to solve the issue, act 3 by defeating some other Pokémon in tepid battle, the Pokemon's problem is solved. Team Rocket probably won't show up.

There's also a bunch of tournament arcs, so that every recurring character has time to say their catchphrase and pretty much nothing else except for their catchphrase. This includes all of Ash's traveling buddies.

It's kind of impressive that they took such a barebones show as Pokémon and just stripped it to the bare minimum. People blame it on the earthquake but honestly the episodes before it are even more barren than afterwards

Man, BW sure was something.

I honestly never really bothered with it outside maybe six episodes over the years. One of which was them bringing Charizard back so nostalgia babies tune in like dummies, and boy did i tune in like a dummie and love it. Anyway, the twitch marathon got me to check out a full episode, one with a Yamask that was trapped in a museum because his mask fell into the exhibit stuff. Iris and Cylan were such dreads and TR just doing completely irrelevant heist stuff was pretty lame.

I have my gripes with XY, but it was definitely a step in the right direction, and I'm glad the anime is good now. Now to fear the next generation's arrival and what that will mean for the anime.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

To be fair, Best Wishes felt a bit like a "complete reboot" in a sense as Black and White only featured the new Pokémon for the main campaign. So it made sense that the anime would reflect the first seasons in terms of writing.

I also felt that the writers knew that the audience the show was aimed at is now younger then the show itself so there's no point in making references to sagas that the audience wasn't even around to see for themselves apart from older media. Heck, even eras after this like the X and Y anime and even Sun and Moon to a limited extent are relatively self contained.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Didn't Best Wishes get it's writing derailed by the earthquake?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yes, but mainly a Team Rocket subplot.

TR was basically pulling some super heists for the first two cours of the show, then it was all going to finally come to a head with them clashing with Team Plasma and Ash in pretty much all out war, with an earthquake machine involved. Then the earthquake happened days before that episode was to air and those episodes got skipped and TR reverted back to their usual antics. Plasma didn't get involved again in the show until the last stretch.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Zuzie posted:

To be fair, Best Wishes felt a bit like a "complete reboot" in a sense as Black and White only featured the new Pokémon for the main campaign. So it made sense that the anime would reflect the first seasons in terms of writing.

And I would have been okay with it if that's what they did. Iris and Cilan are very deliberately alike Misty and Brock - when they actually get to be characters and the pacing (at first, at least) is much closer to the Kanto episodes. Hell, even ash getting dumbed down is completely fine, that's not really the problem here

The problem is that there's nothing there. Unova is empty as hell, so you don't get the whole this is how living with Pokémon is anymore, none of the characters really want anything and they barely even have any quirks beyond their catchphrases. It's never trying to be serious but at the same time it's strangely void of comic relief, too (aside from Oshawott).

And like, a lot of this are problems that Pokémon has had, there's usually just something charming to grasp onto, something cool that might be happening. The BW anime... just has nothing.

That said it DOES get better further in (and Decolore Islands especially feels like they're just trying to make old-style episodes) but overall the BW anime is just... Dire.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

TR reverted back to their usual antics. Plasma didn't get involved again in the show until the last stretch.
The weird thing is they do go back to their usual antics, except that they're still in their non-comic relief mode until that very same last stretch. So they don't really do cool stuff or joke around or anything. It's... Weird

Waterfall of Salt fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 29, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

do Acerola and her creepy probably-on-the-sex-offender-registry uncle ever show up

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

normal post

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

indigi posted:

do Acerola and her creepy probably-on-the-sex-offender-registry uncle ever show up

I'm sorry you feel this way, both Acerola and Nanu are great

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Flopsy posted:

How are you a Pokemon fan if you can't shut off your adult brain and enjoy things with the ten year old deep inside you?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

indigi posted:

Sophocles is really serving date rapist vibes wrt Rotom Dex

indigi posted:

Stop posting

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
let's be fair sophocles is one o replaced with a 0 away from being sal manella

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You are vastly understating the awfulness of Sal Manella

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree that they should make a show without people. Make it like that rat squirrel thing that tries to get the nut in the Ice Age movies. Just goofy animals doing dumb antics.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Every legendary in OR/AS respawns after beating the E4 again right? Deoxys sounds like a pain to catch in the first encounter and it'd be much less annoying to just come back with a high level Breloom with False Swipe and Spore.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 29, 2019

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Would you rather get dinner with Comic Book Guy or Sal Manella?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I don't like the direction the Pokemon thread has taken.

Instead let's discuss your favorite Pokemon TCG artwork.

For example, look at this cute poo poo.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

RatHat posted:

Every legendary in OR/AS respawns after beating the E4 again right? Deoxys sounds like a pain to catch in the first encounter and it'd be much less annoying to just come back with a high level Breloom with False Swipe and Spore.

Go to the Sky Pillar after beating the E4.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nasgate posted:

How are you a Pokemon fan if you can't shut off your adult brain and enjoy things with the ten year old deep inside you?

10 year old me didn't like the anime either tbh

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

And I would have been okay with it if that's what they did. Iris and Cilan are very deliberately alike Misty and Brock - when they actually get to be characters and the pacing (at first, at least) is much closer to the Kanto episodes. Hell, even ash getting dumbed down is completely fine, that's not really the problem here

The problem is that there's nothing there. Unova is empty as hell, so you don't get the whole this is how living with Pokémon is anymore, none of the characters really want anything and they barely even have any quirks beyond their catchphrases. It's never trying to be serious but at the same time it's strangely void of comic relief, too (aside from Oshawott).

And like, a lot of this are problems that Pokémon has had, there's usually just something charming to grasp onto, something cool that might be happening. The BW anime... just has nothing.

That said it DOES get better further in (and Decolore Islands especially feels like they're just trying to make old-style episodes) but overall the BW anime is just... Dire.

The weird thing is they do go back to their usual antics, except that they're still in their non-comic relief mode until that very same last stretch. So they don't really do cool stuff or joke around or anything. It's... Weird

It was the BW series that really made it clear that following Ash around was an albatross around the anime’s neck. BW had the best story of the series, but they couldn’t use any of it because they were determined to follow around the same generic Shonen kid as he putters around, accomplishing little until they run out the clock for the next set of games.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I remember when during that TR radio show that aired in the middle of BW TR complained in character about not having any comedic scenes.

So clearly at some point at least a few of the writers knew they screwed up.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Geostomp posted:

It was the BW series that really made it clear that following Ash around was an albatross around the anime’s neck. BW had the best story of the series, but they couldn’t use any of it because they were determined to follow around the same generic Shonen kid as he putters around, accomplishing little until they run out the clock for the next set of games.

It’s weird how much of the games’ story the anime ignores sometimes. Despite having three Team Rocket members as part of the main cast, most of the Rocket-related Gen 1 storyline just doesn’t happen. I guess Mama Marowak was considered too dark for a kids’ show, but I’ll never understand why they got rid of Silph Co. Maybe the writers were in love with their version of Sabrina and didn’t want her to be overshadowed?

I’m not really complaining, since we got an anime adaptation of all that stuff eventually with Origins.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Honestly, I just don't see how you could adapt the games' storylines into the anime in a satisfying way. It's a 3-4 year show to adapt the game, and somewhere a year or two in slightly new material gets introduced. I dig them just grabbing some of the bigger beats and doing their own thing, while most of the anime is its own thing. Specially since the manga does a pretty good job at adapting and expanding the games.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I don't think they ever planned on adapting the games past the setting and characters until...I actually don't know because it happened way after I stopped caring about it. I guess Advanced?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Honestly, I just don't see how you could adapt the games' storylines into the anime in a satisfying way. It's a 3-4 year show to adapt the game, and somewhere a year or two in slightly new material gets introduced. I dig them just grabbing some of the bigger beats and doing their own thing, while most of the anime is its own thing. Specially since the manga does a pretty good job at adapting and expanding the games.

That seems backwards. Given that they have 3-4 years to fill, why wouldn't they adapt every bit of the games they could alongside their own ideas?

Edit: I suppose part of the reason, in general, is that a lot of elements from the games don't make much sense outside the context of a video game (the various puzzles in the Gyms and caves that work on Chip's Challenge/Sokoban logic, for example). Plus a lot of "plot points" (e.g., the Bike Voucher, Steven revealing the Kecleon) would be hard to stretch into a full episode's worth of plot. But that doesn't explain why actually interesting storylines like Silph Co. get ignored, while some game plot points not much more complex than the Bike Voucher (like chasing Farfetch'd around Ilex Forest) get full episodes.

Edit 2: Come to think of it, the Bike Voucher would have made an amusing B-plot. While Ash and Brock are off looking for Diglett or something, Misty is listening to the Fan Club Chairman drone on and on about his Rapidash and struggling to resist the temptation to yell about how water-types are better than fire-types.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 29, 2019

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Silver2195 posted:

That seems backwards. Given that they have 3-4 years to fill, why wouldn't they adapt every bit of the games they could alongside their own ideas?

3 to 4 years is still an extremely long time for a cartoon to run, especially a weekly one like Pokémon. Also as you mentioned, a few of the game's "sub-plots" really wouldn't work in an anime adaptation (TMs for one don't exist, which is just one example...).

Alot of the anime's tropes were established in a time when the games themselves didn't have much plot to work with. There were three of them in the form of the badge quest, the rivalry with Gary and the antics of Team Rocket. The major twists were that the latter two were directly connected to the former as Team Rocket's leader is also the final Gym Leader you needed to beat and Gary is the final boss.

For whatever reason both sub-plots were retooled for the anime: Gary had mostly token appearances while Team Rocket would directly antagonize Ash and his friends on a daily basis in the form of Jessie, James and Meowth (who are basically shout-outs to Yatterman's Doronbo Gang).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

RatHat posted:

I'm sorry you feel this way, both Acerola and Nanu are great

yeah Acerola rules, Nanu is a weirdo though

Ometeotl posted:

Stop posting

your boy does this stuff in multiple episodes. it's unsettling