Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

weekly font posted:

I love your Last Jedi YouTube vids! Got linked to one off a Ben Shapiro video.

???

Is this supposed to be some kind of zing?

Should I add that it seems almost every principal character left alive at this point is obnoxiously hyper-competent and unkillable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

InFlames235 posted:

You bet your rear end he did

Ghost should have helped out Jon with the undead Dragon then.

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

bobjr posted:

Ghost should have helped out Jon with the undead Dragon then.

Not nearly enough budget for Ghost to be shown fighting anything :(

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Ghost on the iron throne ending please.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Scoss posted:

???

Is this supposed to be some kind of zing?

Should I add that it seems almost every principal character left alive at this point is obnoxiously hyper-competent and unkillable?

All the best fiction randomly darts between POV characters who die statistically consistent and realistically random deaths at a moment’s notice.

“Oh the Main Characters of a story are the ones who survive to tell it. How ~*~convenient~*~”

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Have some screenshots.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

clown shoes posted:

Have some screenshots.

Accidentally turned selfie mode on during Posting Time, my b.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

clown shoes posted:

Have some screenshots.

Illegible !!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

weekly font posted:

That’s a dumb analogy. This is like chapter 6 of the last book. Fuckin weirdo. The amount of internet people baffled by basic story telling is, well, frankly unsurprising.

Ya the Night King dying here is fine. The way he was taken out was dumb

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Ya the Night King dying here is fine. The way he was taken out was dumb

They can’t all go out like Tywin.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

lezard_valeth posted:

someone promised a super saiyan

start blowing poo poo up monkey

I got gchatted by a friend saying tonight was incredible and I went nuclear

This is the same guy who got mad at obsidian being forged two eps ago

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mastershakeman posted:

I got gchatted by a friend saying tonight was incredible and I went nuclear

This is the same guy who got mad at obsidian being forged two eps ago

He's right, that poo poo doesn't work. Fight us.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Krinkle posted:

Two years ago i saw some mega spoiler leak of the entire second half of the last season but as things happen I can't remember if they were predicted or if i'm now remembering them as predicted.

Does anyone have a huge season long leak that isn't proven dogshit by now? And if so was it the one that says gendry becomes king?

It might just be Tyrion being executed for treason.

clown shoes posted:

Have some screenshots.

Turn on your monitor.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I bet the Tyrion execution leaks are real now.

I've been trying to figure out why Tyrion would flip. It made sense back when we thought the army of the dead was about to get a million bodies stronger but now it's completely puzzling

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Sarkozymandias posted:

All the best fiction randomly darts between POV characters who die statistically consistent and realistically random deaths at a moment’s notice.

“Oh the Main Characters of a story are the ones who survive to tell it. How ~*~convenient~*~”

Is it good writing then when all the characters you kill off are carefully calculated to be either the least important B and C tier names, or characters who have been built up for the entire show as having debts to pay or a noble purpose to fulfill in the final battle? Particularly for a show that made its name on not being afraid to let the main protagonists get killed even.

I agree that "realistic" deaths are also not a good way to tell stories, but much of this episode seemed like randomly darting between POV characters who get surrounded up to their necks in gnashing skelemonsters before suddenly cutting to another group where the same thing happens, and by the time we cycle back around the cast they're in a different pickle. Grey worm's really gonna die this time! Sam's really in trouble now, we mean it! Boy Jon is *really* surrounded now, this time it's serious! It got a bit fatiguing after 30 or 40 minutes and at points it seems like literally the only people alive are named characters, it strains belief a bit.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Scoss posted:

Is it good writing then when all the characters you kill off are carefully calculated to be either the least important B and C tier names, or characters who have been built up for the entire show as having debts to pay or a noble purpose to serve in the final battle? Particularly for a show that built its name on not being afraid to let the main protagonists get killed?

I agree that "realistic" deaths are also not a good way to tell stories, but much of this episode seemed like randomly darting between POV characters who get surrounded up to their necks in gnashing skelemonsters before suddenly cutting to another group where the same thing happens, and by the time we cycle back around the cast they're in a different pickle. Grey worm's really gonna die this time! Sam's really in trouble now, we mean it! Boy Jon is *really* surrounded now, this time it's serious! It got a bit fatiguing and after 30 or 40 minutes and at points it seems like literally the only people alive are named characters, it strains belief a bit.

I don’t ever want to be accused of saying the writing is good. My agenda is more that I think fiction won’t improve if the most common criticisms are incredibly bad.

The “trick” that’s been pulled is that some characters were always invincible, but the illusion of a merciless world with no rules allows people to suspend their disbelief and worry more about characters that are otherwise still pretty boring and bogstandard, in a work of fiction that ultimately has nothing meaningful or interesting to say.

Sarkozymandias fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 29, 2019

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Qyburn is the new NK.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I'm not mad Arya killed the lich King but I'm mad that a) she didn't do it by switching places with bran and wearing his face or b) wearing the face of an undead or ice lieutenant. She's a many faced god assassin and all she's done with it is murder a few old men

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

mastershakeman posted:

I've been trying to figure out why Tyrion would flip. It made sense back when we thought the army of the dead was about to get a million bodies stronger but now it's completely puzzling

I think Tyrion not flipping but Dany thinking he did and executing him would be a good move if they want to take the Targ Crazy Dany route.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I'm not mad Arya killed the lich King but I'm mad that a) she didn't do it by switching places with bran and wearing his face or b) wearing the face of an undead or ice lieutenant. She's a many faced god assassin and all she's done with it is murder a few old men

This would have been extremely good but it would have left the question of why the Night King didn’t notice his mark wasn’t on the Fake Bran Who Isn’t Emitting Psychic Waves.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hot tip, Bronn goes for Jamie, kills Ser Tarth, Tormund fucks his eye socket with a knife.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I kept thinking Bran was going to warg the Ice King and force him to kill himself. Would have made more sense given the whole "Can't be hurt by Dragonfire" thing.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I think if I had to boil down my disappointment, it's less specifically do to with who died, and more that the only unexpected thing that happened in the whole climax was just how mundane the final blow was.

Plan Z posted:

I kept thinking Bran was going to warg the Ice King and force him to kill himself. Would have made more sense given the whole "Can't be hurt by Dragonfire" thing.

Honestly what was Bran even doing the whole time? I kept waiting for him to have something profound to say, but it seems like he really was just kinda flying around as a raven for some reason.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Apr 29, 2019

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

I dunno if I stabbed a dude and it made a dragon fall down I would be pretty jazzed.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Brans job this episode was to help complete theons redemption story

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scoss posted:

I think if I had to boil down my disappointment, it's less specifically do to with who died, and more that the only unexpected thing that happened in the whole climax was just how mundane the final blow was.

Honestly what was Bran even doing the whole time? I kept waiting for him to have something profound to say, but it seems like he really was just kinda flying around as a raven for some reason.

He was flying the drones.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m glad the Night King is gone now. The zombie poo poo was always the weakest aspect of this show.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com
The show genuinely had me enthralled in a way it hasn't since Oberyn fought the Mountain during that montage, and then it pissed all over that with the most predictable hack garbage ending to the Night King storyline possible. People memed about Arya going to ninja school so she could stab the hive queen and make all the ants fall down and the show actually fuckin' did it.

This is going to end with someone triumphantly sitting on the iron throne. I don't know why I thought maybe, just maybe, they'd have some interesting ending pocketed from the old meetings with GRRM, but.. they don't. They couldn't even be hosed to kill an important character in the last (or second to) big war scene, just predictable second-tier characters.

Most episodes are fun to hate. This one just made me sad.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’m glad the Night King is gone now. The zombie poo poo was always the weakest aspect of this show.

I liked it the less we knew about it. For the longest time the viewer knew about it from characters who saw the undead or heard from people who witnessed it all. It kind of meant that nobody really looked upon the undead and lived. For a long time, the only people who really experienced the undead were Osha and the survivors of The Great Ranging, and the viewer still gets little information from either. It's when we got lots of long, establishing shots of the Walkers that it lost the kind of suspenseful horror aura around the White Walkers. I still think they could have done it even up to this point. I liked the scene with Tormund/Edd/Beric back at Last Hearth, and some of the creepier scenes in tonight's. Season 6 and 7 though just wanted to take any mystery out of it, and they both suffered from doing so.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Martin gave them one last big plot twist. I’m curious about that now more than ever.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Martin gave them one last big plot twist. I’m curious about that now more than ever.

It's gotta be Jon/Dany killing one or the other.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ubiquitous_ posted:

At this point I’m 150% sure that whatever it was, it got ignored in favor of even more scenes of fan favorites being cool badasses.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
I thought this was the finest TV ever.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

new reddit theory... Lyanna Giantsbane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EC_VEYj3yo

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

i honestly laughed pretty hard when all the dothraki decided to leeroy jenkins themselves out of the battle early on

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I wouldn't have had as much of a problem with Arya appearing out of nowhere to murk NK in front of a hundred walkers if there wasn't that scene before where she had a hard time hiding from like three of them in a library full of cover

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I liked the episode overall but my main gripe was seeing multiple characters getting ridiculously overwhelmed and then it turns out they’re fine somehow. Also disappointed that Arya didn’t use her disguise powers when sneaking around the keep. It also would have made sense for how she snuck up on the Night King as opposed to just being there somehow.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gresh posted:

i honestly laughed pretty hard when all the dothraki decided to leeroy jenkins themselves out of the battle early on

Pretty sure that was a tactical choice, being as they were the pawns on the board.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Its Coke posted:

I wouldn't have had as much of a problem with Arya appearing out of nowhere to murk NK in front of a hundred walkers if there wasn't that scene before where she had a hard time hiding from like three of them in a library full of cover

Look but she managed to sneak up on Jon in the Weirwood in episode 1 so it's clearly foreshadowing and amazing writing

What I'm saying is that Jon is the Night King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Look but she managed to sneak up on Jon in the Weirwood in episode 1 so it's clearly foreshadowing and amazing writing

What I'm saying is that Jon is the Night King

i recycled it from my reddit post but...

"ASSASSIN APPROACHED THE NIGHT KING BY BEING A SNEAKY BASTARD, SERGEANT MAJOR "