Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

My friends and I have been laughing writing Randy Newman songs that could have played over the end of this eps credits. It’s fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zotix posted:

Gendrys claim to the Throne is stronger than Jon's isn't it?

Nah, Gendry is an unrecognized bastard of a regime that the people surrounding him consider illegitimate.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's good that we have half a season without Mayor McFrosty's too cool for school rear end looming around. I hope somebody pee peed on his frosty ashes.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

One of D&D said in the segment after the episode aired, that they had the idea that it would be arya to kill the night king for a couple seasons now. But who knows how grrm will end it because he's going to be dead way before these are finished

Penny and PRETTY PIG will kill him in the books.

I hate those two, in case you can't tell.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Why was there the whole drama of Melisandre needing to go out and light the trench when Jon’s dragon was sitting on the roof the whole time watching and doing nothing

Jon and Dany were lost in the clouds and Davos explicitly said they couldn’t see the battlefield because the trench wasn’t lit. I don’t know how Davos knew that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

teagone posted:

Actually you can still work Arya into killing the Night King, but have it be a more satisfying payoff. Have her duel one of the lieutenant white walker guys at some point during the battle, using her twirly staff poo poo. She grabs the White Walkers face — offscreen. Cut to Godswood scene, and before Night King kills Bran, we see a White Walker put his hand on the Night King's shoulder, and stabs him with a dagger. Night King looks confused and explodes. Arya takes off White Walker face to reveal herself.

Yeah, her using face-swapping with one of the lieutenants would at least make more sense.

Like you said, have them fight then cut away before we see the end... then we see him walking back alone, implying she's dead. White walker turns to Bran and smirks, but then Lieutenant stabs him through the back. Face comes off, Its Arya.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Arya killing the Night King was awesome and you can suck my rear end in a top hat if you disagree.

That kicked rear end, I don’t give a gently caress how far fetched it was.

Also having the end of the season go back to political intrigue and maneuvering is good as gently caress.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zotix posted:

Gendrys claim to the Throne is stronger than Jon's isn't it?

This is where it comes down to "whoever has the larger army".

Jon's claim is related to the person who had the throne before Robert stole it, so Gendry's isn't really "stronger", they're parallel at this point. You could say Jon's is stronger.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

What the hell was Bran doing?

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Time for my weekly argument with Zaphod42...

*checks notes* ah gently caress, they were right

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Qubee posted:

Wall would have been A-Okay because no one counted on the Night King getting a god drat dragon, except that Targaryen dummy went and needlessly got one of her drags skewered like kebab which basically nullified millions of man hours on an effective deterrent against the dead. Feels fuckin good.

Yeah good point what is the NK strategy vs the wall without a goddamn ice zombie dragon to cheese it instantly?

Lmao the (futile) quest to convince the Lannisters to help probably cost tens of thousands of lives in giving up a dragon

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm fine with Arya killing the NK, as she really needed to kill someone important for her character arc to get payoff. However with all of her neat faceless techniques I wish they had thought of something more interesting than her teleporting in from off-camera.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Delthalaz posted:

Yeah good point what is the NK strategy vs the wall without a goddamn ice zombie dragon to cheese it instantly?

Wait and go around when the bay freezes?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Majorian posted:

I honestly doubt that D&D came up with this ending for NK. It stinks of GRRM trying to pull something out of his rear end.

Props to him for taking so long to finish writing it then. Enough book fans would have died off in the next 17 years waiting that the negative impact it would have had on them would have diminished greatly in comparison

Speaking of stuff he's written (lol), odds must be looking high on him having "Arya's pregnant." as one of the sentences saved for the last book

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

He flew some ravens at the night king who got annoyed and rode over on his dragon to murder him but then got stabbed by arya

All according to keikaku :smuggo:

Idk why he was warging for so long tho

Brans character is so insanely dumb and pointless lol. 8 seasons of BRAN PLOT for this

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, her using face-swapping with one of the lieutenants would at least make more sense.

Like you said, have them fight then cut away before we see the end... then we see him walking back alone, implying she's dead. White walker turns to Bran and smirks, but then Lieutenant stabs him through the back. Face comes off, Its Arya.

Oh what could have been.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Delthalaz posted:

Better than Urine Greyjoy bringing it down with the Magic Horn.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Megasabin posted:

I'm fine with Arya killing the NK, as she really needed to kill someone important for her character arc to get payoff. However with all of her neat faceless techniques I wish they had thought of something more interesting than her teleporting in from off-camera.

You mean like all the Freys?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
They didn't start the fight inside the walls because wights could give two shits about walls, established thoroughly during Hardhome. Trying to fight them like a normal army doesn't work, all that would accomplish is forcing you to fight in tight quarters against an ocean of crazed soldiers who don't care about staying alive.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

itskage posted:

Time for my weekly argument with Zaphod42...

*checks notes* ah gently caress, they were right

:shobon:

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

PT6A posted:

Arya killing the Night King was awesome and you can suck my rear end in a top hat if you disagree.

That kicked rear end, I don’t give a gently caress how far fetched it was.

Also having the end of the season go back to political intrigue and maneuvering is good as gently caress.

You think they're gonna write a good intrigue ending after seeing this episode? Naw man, the end of this series is just Arya stabbing people over and over

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

nooneofconsequence posted:

He was being the Three Eyed Raven, which is important because the Night King wanted to kill the Three Eyed Raven. Why does the Night King want to kill the Three Eyes Raven? Because he’s important.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Do love Arya has been training with Winter Soldier with her knife skills. Some might say that it was a cheap shot, but I feel like that it was perfectly in tune with her skillset.

So I want to make sure I didn't miss any deaths; Jorah, Theon, Delorious Edd, Little Lady Mormont, Berric and Melissandre? That's all the named character deaths?

And I knew they'd kill the Night King today, with Cersei as the last boss. Her loving smug face, Lena Heady just kills it being someone you love to hate.

I expected one of the other dragons to die, but also take the zombie dragon down with it. That was also my favorite effect in the show, when it was breathing ice fire and it was leaking out of its torn neck. It's been a very, very long time since zombies of any kind were scary, and this managed to do it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dont you have to kill someone and literally saw their face off with a knife to disguise yourself in their face?

White walkers turn into sno cones when they die so she could never disguise herself as one

Disguising herself as bran and standing up with a knife would've been rad though

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
So was it just DirecTV or was the first 50 minutes or so of that episode unwatchable garbage?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

They could have at least had the Night King say a cryptic word or sentence to Bran

No idea what would have been best though

coke
Jul 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1122669553090215936?s=21

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Sorry you used the wrong emotion to respond with though. :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

teagone posted:

Oh what could have been.

It would have made the entire Arya Essos arc, the house of black and white, the whole faceless men themselves all be a long con by the lord of light just to teach Arya how to smoke the NK.

Which would be pretty cool IDK?

In the end its about the same just cheesier.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

This is where it comes down to "whoever has the larger army".

Jon's claim is related to the person who had the throne before Robert stole it, so Gendry's isn't really "stronger", they're parallel at this point. You could say Jon's is stronger.

I was just curious. Im still going with Gendry sits on the throne. Jon doesn't want it. I'm going with him passing over the throne in favor of northern independence. Dany has shown she definitely comes from the mad king, and I don't think will even live through the end of the show.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Majorian posted:

He absolutely was.

No he was not. The Night King does not exist in the book. There is a story about the Night's King who was a Night's Watch commander who hosed a white walker, but there is no Night King as exists in the show in the books.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
season 8 episode 4

establishing shot:
meereen

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Zaphod is nice this week.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

General Dog posted:

He was being the Three Eyed Raven, which is important because the Night King wanted to kill the Three Eyed Raven. Why does the Night King want to kill the Three Eyes Raven? Because he’s important.

Night king is super pissed those forest elves stabbed him and turned him into a badass ice zombie so now he REALLY wants to kill bran cause he was friends with them

Like get over it dude goddamn

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dont you have to kill someone and literally saw their face off with a knife to disguise yourself in their face?

White walkers turn into sno cones when they die so she could never disguise herself as one

Still would have passed with 95% of the viewers compared to that ending.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I dunno, maybe? But any old wight's undead decaying face would probably have worked.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Disguising herself as bran and standing up with a knife would've been rad though
but then bran wheeling around with no face would be kinda grisly

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

bobjr posted:

They could have at least had the Night King say a cryptic word or sentence to Bran

They made a language, but I think they decided at some point that he'd be cooler completely silent. Did like that smile when Dany failed to kill him, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You are unfortunately pretty correct here. But its all magic so IDK, its not like they've explained these rules for certain.

But yeah also pretending to be Bran and have no legs but then standing would also be a good twist and use of face powers.

Vintersorg posted:

Zaphod is nice this week.

Sigh. I really think if you tried to be more open to other people thinking things different than you I'd always be "nice". I don't take well to mobbing or personal attacks to drown out minority opinions, and I don't think the forums should tolerate those things. Too much noise of calling each other names and everything turns into FYAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

bobjr posted:

They should have had him finally say his first line only for him to sound like mickey mouse