Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jollity Farm posted:

Sometimes I have anxious chest pains, and I've no idea why.

ME: Whatever am I so anxious about?

MY BRAIN: There's bound to be something.

How much caffeine do you intake? I used to get those tremors until I cut out energy drinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I’m starting to give up on politics. I think it’s contributing to my feelings of helplessness.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Dreddout posted:

How much caffeine do you intake? I used to get those tremors until I cut out energy drinks

I try not to drink too much caffeine, but it might be that I still drink too much. Possibly start drinking decaffeinated tea and coffee (after I run out of the coffee I've already got).

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Jollity Farm posted:

I try not to drink too much caffeine, but it might be that I still drink too much. Possibly start drinking decaffeinated tea and coffee (after I run out of the coffee I've already got).

https://www.weancaffeine.com/products/wean-caffeine

If you want to quit caffeine completely try Wean. Basically they're caffeine pills that taper down to almost nothing over the course of a month.

If you want to just cut back I'd set hard limits for yourself. I tapered down from 3 cups to 1 cup of caffeinated coffee a day. After that if I want coffee it's strictly decaf. Keep in mind caffeine is a hard drug. Meaning your builds tolerance over repeated use. So if you want to keep using it you should take a tolerance break every year or so to reset your body.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jollity Farm posted:

I had massive anxiety problems on my new meds until I cut down on my coffee intake: half caff in the morning to get me up and rolling, then decaf the rest of the day. On rare occasions I'll get something full blast, like a solo espresso, as a treat or writing aid.

Tea is much healthier for you while providing a much more pleasant amount of caffeine. If you like it, stick with that :)

Jollity Farm posted:

Anxiety attacks wheeeeeeee

WHAT IF I FORGOT SOMETHING OH NO is a common theme and there's a lot of reasons for it to happen. For me (and I am not saying this is the case for you or anyone else), most of my anxiety came from getting harshly emotionally punished as a child for literally no goddamn reason. At my very core is a hardwired mindset of "I deserve bad things because I did [mysterious unknown thing here] so if good things are happening to me then SOMETHING WORSE IS COMING OH NO." Neuroses suck. Mental illness sucks. *extremely sartre voice* Eh oui, continuons.

What's the old screed? A neurotic builds castles in the sky, a psychotic lives in them, and the therapist charges both for rent? There's a grain of truth to it :P

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Mill Village posted:

I’m starting to give up on politics. I think it’s contributing to my feelings of helplessness.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a break from politics. In fact I encourage it. I walked away from the trump thread for a couple of weeks and felt great, but now I'm back there posting daily because I'm a goddamn addict with no other friends who can laugh at the deranged daily horrors of America TYOOL 2019. :(

I always recommend people try a new hobby. I learned how to weave, which inspired my wife to crochet-weave. I made my first actual piece of fabric on a hand loom two nights ago :3:

e: crossposting from someone else in the trump thread but this about sums it up

Chokes McGee has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Apr 29, 2019

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
my life has been 100% better since I dropped caffeine. I was having huge panic attacks every few hours for no reason.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Consummate Professional posted:

my life has been 100% better since I dropped caffeine. I was having huge panic attacks every few hours for no reason.

I could mainline the stuff when I was younger and Get poo poo Done<tm> but now that I'm older and my meds are different it's gotta go, it's just not worth it

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I cut down a lot on my coffee but I'm still entirely dependent on the first cup of the day

And today I'm sat round drinking it, feeling poo poo and trying not to let my brain go searching for reasons why I should feel poo poo, because that department of my brain is built like the warehouse at the end of raiders of the lost ark and every box holds treasure

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Mill Village posted:

this is a good and healthy reaction

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Ugh i have finals this week and I can't bring myself to do anything

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I used to have tons of friends and date regularly and stuff, and now after a year and half without a job after grad school I'm realizing I'm basically socially alone. all my former friends I saw often since high school have basically stopped talking to me. my dnd group that used to be hosted at one of their houses has fallen apart because she and her boyfriend have just decided to stop responding to texts about the game, despite us literally being at the end of a long campaign. my other friends who were supposed to play board games ignored my texts too until hours later when they decided they were too busy and we should "reschedule", which obviously never happened.

then my stupid weed dealer, who is a useless rear end in a top hat who acts like selling weed is this huge favor he does to everyone and constantly behaves like a martyr and has his brother (who used to sell us weed) pull us aside and make sure we know not to text him too much because he freaks out, completely ghosted me. i barely ever communicate with him beyond walking-on-eggshells inquiries about whether he has any oil, which are already restricted to literally only Sunday nights because dude is such a loving weirdo he can't interact with people on weekdays, full stop, and gets mad if you even text him on Monday despite ignoring you all weekend. i asked him if he had anything and he said he had some oil for me, then he said he might not, then he just ignored me all weekend leaving me on "read" without so much as an acknowledgement. and if i ever complained at all he'd flip his poo poo because he's a fragile little weiner who thinks he's some kind of benevolent martyr for spending thousands and thousands of dollars on pot and making some of that back by selling weed, at a profit, to us.

so i don't even know where to get weed anymore, since my backup isn't answering me (of course), and if I want to go to DC to get some I have to do it alone because everyone I know ignores me now. on top of that they're all sort of privileged assholes who are either oblivious to the outside world and thus have no interest in anything that isn't weed or television, or borderline terminally self-involved. all three couples I was/am "friends" with had their parents give them tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in the last year to buy houses, the weed dealer and his brother are both contractors employed by their dad who pays them way more than they're worth, and I try not to feel bitter but I'm the only one who went to school (one of them dropped out five or six times, wasting probably a hundred grand in failed attempts to get a bachelors degree) and my life is absolute garbage. meanwhile they're going to France and Spain for a 24 hour party in Ibiza because their parents are paying for a year-later honeymoon thing.

i've been texting my acquaintances from grad school, one of whom mentioned being interested in playing some Axis and Allies awhile ago, just so i can have some kind of social outlet. for most of my life i was a very social guy with lots of stuff going on all the time and for the past year i've just been alone, inside, and now I feel like I don't even have the option of going out because nobody seems to want to be around me. i'm beginning to think I must be a really unpleasant person to interact with or something.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

lmao @ me

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Jollity Farm posted:

mood lol

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

a few friends have suddenly started turning to me for advice and lmao how can i both register my thoughts while still gently reminding them to not ever ever listen to me?

rhetorical question lol

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

juche avocado posted:

a few friends have suddenly started turning to me for advice and lmao how can i both register my thoughts while still gently reminding them to not ever ever listen to me?

rhetorical question lol

sometimes it helps if you just listen and express sympathy but also make it clear you’re not making decisions for them

that way lies even more madness than we’re already dealing with

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Today I realized that I sublimate my self destructive tendencies into posting. Posting is my self harm. I have to have a self harm conversation with my therapist, about posting

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Chokes McGee posted:

sometimes it helps if you just listen and express sympathy but also make it clear you’re not making decisions for them

I try to share experiences and questions-to-ask and facts-to-remind, but not advice, when I can.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

juche avocado posted:

rhetorical question lol

Chokes McGee posted:

Idk sometimes an outside perspective from a trusted friend is useful. Depends on the situation ofc but if your friends making mountains out of molehills it can help them to offer some perspective

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Today I realized that I sublimate my self destructive tendencies into posting. Posting is my self harm. I have to have a self harm conversation with my therapist, about posting

I read this post and have sympathy for you, but, I can’t tell you how to post

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Chokes McGee posted:

I read this post and have sympathy for you, but, I can’t tell you how to post

Like I realized that I seek out poo poo to anger myself so that I'll get in fights and be punished or hated or whatever and that has replaced my low-key struggles with wanting to self harm and my brief consideration of alcoholism and my impulsivity and willingness to burn down the good things in my life in a moment of dipshittery

Like I'm doing emotional damage to myself by posting the way I do

That's depressing

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Like I realized that I seek out poo poo to anger myself so that I'll get in fights and be punished or hated or whatever and that has replaced my low-key struggles with wanting to self harm and my brief consideration of alcoholism and my impulsivity and willingness to burn down the good things in my life in a moment of dipshittery

Like I'm doing emotional damage to myself by posting the way I do

That's depressing

speaking from experience, being hated on the internet because you post stupid poo poo and pick fights is far far preferable to diving into alcoholism and self injury and otherwise destroying the things important to you in your life

it is also very good that you recognize your self destructive urges even as they manifest in other ways and are taking steps to prevent acting on them

if i had the quick answer for you i would be rich but i believe in you

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

how do you guys make new friends? feeling very frustrated atm

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Frog Act posted:

Your mileage may vary, but I'm of the opinion that friends are both a statistical and situational process. You need to a) interact with lots of people you don't know b) be in an environment where interaction makes the environment better (adversarial like games and sports or teamwork like volunteering, classes, and hiking).

It takes time and you need to let things happen naturally. Volunteering and art classes are things that I've looked into in the past for example, but I chose those because I wanted to do those things and friends were secondary. Just the activity itself will probably help your disposition and give you something to focus on that isn't your life problems.

mekyabetsu
Dec 17, 2018

Frog Act posted:

I used to have tons of friends and date regularly and stuff, and now after a year and half without a job after grad school I'm realizing I'm basically socially alone.

:same:

I’m sorry. I wish I had good advice for you. People like us are all over the place. We work with you, stand in line with you at the pharmacy, go to your family gatherings. We’re surrounded by people and hopelessly alone. We’re sick. I hate it. I really want this to be over.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Frog Act posted:

Have you looked online for clubs or groups in your area? Hobbyist groups can be a great way to connect with people because you have a built in "in". Environmentalist groups like the Sierra Club don't require much prior knowledge and will get you out of the house more!

Obligatorily, most DSA chapters offer opportunities to socialize and you don't have to worry about befriending a CHUD

animist
Aug 28, 2018
my most recent group of friends came from meeting up with a random from a discord server i was on who happened to live 10 minutes away

i dont think this is actually helpful advice

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm working through this currently, I have to keep reminding myself I'm not some evil awful dirty creature that deserves punishment (from myself if no one else does it), I haven't done anything wrong and it's ok

lol trauma

Dreddout posted:

Have you looked online for clubs or groups in your area? Hobbyist groups can be a great way to connect with people because you have a built in "in". Environmentalist groups like the Sierra Club don't require much prior knowledge and will get you out of the house more!

Obligatorily, most DSA chapters offer opportunities to socialize and you don't have to worry about befriending a CHUD

Seconded. DSA is hit or miss by city imo but if you're frustrated about not being able to do a politics then it's a good start. If you need a break from politics instead, I would recommend board games groups as a start. Boss Monster is hilarious, and I've always wanted to try the The Thing Game game. The idea of four people sitting around knowing they're A Thing while one guy goes WHEW I HOPE I DON'T FIND OUT WHICH ONE OF YOU GUYS IS INFECTED is pretty funny to me.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

mekyabetsu posted:

:same:

I’m sorry. I wish I had good advice for you. People like us are all over the place. We work with you, stand in line with you at the pharmacy, go to your family gatherings. We’re surrounded by people and hopelessly alone. We’re sick. I hate it. I really want this to be over.

I'm really struggling with this atm. I'm lucky, I have some really great family members, but they're all old. I'm the sole caregiver for my 80 year old father. I haven't dated, by choice, in years. I've got zero social contact with people my own age. The paradox is, I'm fine spending time alone but the the more I'm around people and interact I start to feel despairingly lonely. I like myself just fine, most people like me, I'm on medication that helps me quite a bit, I just don't know how to not be alone.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the DSA thing is probably a good idea, I've been meaning to go to my lcoal for ages. they do a Marxist study group night and my master's thesis was in Marxist philosophy, so it's kind of my bailiwick, maybe that would be a good way to meet some likeminded people. i also desperately need to find a weed dealer, which i really don't know how to do anymore, apparently! that's probably the worst part for me, I can handle being alone as long as I have weed to smoke.

i guess what sucks on an abstract level is i've always been so adept in social situations and been good at keeping friends but now its like nobody likes me or wants to talk to me, or do anything I suggest. I feel like this can't be a symptom of broader social atomization completely, like, as much as all the basic community stuff i could have turned to forty years ago are all hollowed out and stuff, there still feels like there must be something seriously wrong with me that makes people dislike me. i dislike people too though so i guess it makes sense. i just hate living like this, no friends, no job, no life, no hope of dating, and now i can't even get weed to make the days tolerable. i just have literally nothing.

i have a bit of a problem with weed, I guess, after ten years of daily use, but i don't want to quit since right now it makes life livable.

Frog Act has issued a correction as of 18:26 on Apr 30, 2019

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
I know the hardest part for me has always been recognizing behaviors correctly so I can catch myself when I’m doing something harmful.

kurzgesagt is a YouTube channel that puts out some pretty decent thought provoking content. It’s all science related stuff but usually much more strictly science topics (lots of stuff about the universe, space, stars, etc) but they had a couple videos that were helpful to me for self reflection.

first was about optimistic nihilism - https://youtu.be/MBRqu0YOH14 I mention this one because I was in a bit of a political spiral myself when trump was the gop nominee up through the first several months of his presidency. I had no one to talk to about all the crazy poo poo going on (ended up angrily arguing with my family a lot) and it started eating away at me. the biggest thing was just that I couldn’t let go because it felt like giving up or being a failure. but finally I came to the realization that a lot of what’s going on is by societal design and I can’t single-handedly fix it. I can still do my small part with my small influence and feel ok that at least I’m working on it as I can. ultimately nothing matters. but living life as though nothing matters is a waste. however because of the ultimate nihilistic nature of the universe we get to decide what really matters for our lives. hopefully it turns out for the better.

the other was just about dealing with loneliness. I didn’t really find it as useful other than sort of identifying some of the aspects of loneliness. https://youtu.be/n3Xv_g3g-mA I didn’t find most of the steps useful at any point in my life - I usually feel pretty alone with most interactions. maybe I’m just too far gone down the loneliness path. But they do recommend a couple books at the end which seem alright if you’re more interested in the topic.

oh and if you’re just interested in finding ways to meet people - just look at stuff like meetup.com. not saying it’s a gold mine by any means but it’ll give you an idea of what’s available to you and maybe you’ll be able to find something that piques your interest.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
as depressing as it is to admit the forums are my primary means of social interaction

and because i cant swallow my pride and not start poo poo im probably going to get probated again a day after getting off of a week long one

and im incredibly lonely and yet i cant stop myself from crashing and burning like this and im bottoming out

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
like i genuinely dont know what the point of going to therapy is, i will never be able to function in human society if i cant even function here, on a dead gay comedy forum, Something Awful Dot Com LLC all rights reserved

i dont remember the last time i felt this fuckin low and worthless

fake edit watch this be the last thing i say before it goes through

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you can check out the LAN forum and see if there are goonmeats in your area

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Frog Act posted:

the DSA thing is probably a good idea, I've been meaning to go to my lcoal for ages. they do a Marxist study group night and my master's thesis was in Marxist philosophy, so it's kind of my bailiwick, maybe that would be a good way to meet some likeminded people. i also desperately need to find a weed dealer, which i really don't know how to do anymore, apparently! that's probably the worst part for me, I can handle being alone as long as I have weed to smoke.

You will find a weed hookup at a DSA meeting I guarantee it

Also I think you're overthinking things maybe you just grew apart from your old friends and it's time to move on

Ultimately the easiest way to make friends is leave your house and find literally anything to do

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I went outside to post and lost friends

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Poniard posted:

I went outside to post and lost friends

Never go outside never have friends

Problem solved

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Never go outside never have friends

Problem solved

I'm just a humble country cspam shitposter, but I think this just makes the problem worse :thunk:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
poo poo wouldnt be as bad if i had free time to volunteer somewhere, library or soup kitchen or parks or whatever, and at least have more chat time there
but i'm already working a job on the weekends and full time college during the week, so i barely have enough free time to see like 1 movie in a week

loving capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
My girlfriend got me a late birthday present that just got here from the NHL store and I'm 100% convinced it's a gritty t shirt and k swear to God that's the only thing getting me through the evening