Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
man it's insane how everything in this show now revolves around generating these moments that are supposed to make you go gently caress yea man!!!!!! but like a millisecond later just turn into "wait what" as your brain catches up and goes like wait how did that happen how does this make any sense

the same thing happened last season when they killed littlefinger all of a sudden

i started thinking of other poo poo like when jaime falls down what appears to be 500 feet of water while wearing like 100 pounds of armor and is just completely fine and swims back to king's landing or some poo poo

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
So Arya's secret weapon that she had Gendry make was just a spear that breaks into two pieces, like the one The Beastmaster has?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This was the worst loving buildup in HBO history.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

My favorite part was when Character was about to die, but then Other Character teleported in out of nowhere to save them at the last second. Which must mean I really enjoyed it because that was about half the runtime

Also glad to see that the Total War AI got a cameo as the combat strategist for this episode

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Who was she supposed to look like in this scenario, though?

Bran rips off his face to reveal Arya. She tosses out a Mr. Freeze pun and then throws a dragonglass dagger into the Night King's frosty blue ballsack.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What made the Night King?
The ice age!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
hopefully other characters will also put in arya's face so she can do one of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE8KlskLKzc

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Tyrion and Sansa looked at each other all meaningfully, I thought for a split second they were going to kill themselves. But they were just getting hyped up to move a little bit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk0Go039_og

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Vargs posted:

Also glad to see that the Total War AI got a cameo as the combat strategist for this episode

The total war AI will usually put its infantry inside the walls during a siege defense which is more than you can say for Starkian Essos combined arms tactics.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
I'm still curious about what happens in King's Landing, in season 2 Dany has a vision of a ruptured throne room and snow falling in it. So either there is bigger night king leader or the snow signifies Jon Snow's/Starks ascendancy to the iron throne.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Winter

OF MY loving DISCONTENT :livintrope:

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Captain Lavender posted:

Tyrion and Sansa looked at each other all meaningfully, I thought for a split second they were going to kill themselves. But they were just getting hyped up to move a little bit.

Same. I thought it was going to be a brilliant and terrible moment, heart-wrenching as they end their lives before the stark-zombies can get them. Nope. They just needed to hold hands while random women in the background get butchered.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Nobody expected them to gently caress up the filming conditions and cinematography so badly the whole episode should be in the bin for that reason.

Arya literally flying out of nowhere and shanking the night king with a dumb hollywood trick is the perfect ending to this adaption of asoiaf. Maybe you could add force-ghosts of Ned, Syrio, Jaqen and her Direwolf watching in the back of the shot but that is it, it couldn't be any more fitting.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-3-review-out-with/1100-6466520/

Should sum it all up.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
lmao that was terrible

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

thats loving it? lmao trash

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the dothraki melting away was the best part of the whole episode

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
The Dothraki charge reminds me of the fall of Denethor in Return of the King. Both of them are incredibly dramatic visuals achieved using fire, but both of them make no sense if you take even a moment to think about them (with Denethor if you see how far he had to run while ON FIRE there's just no loving way he made it even 10% of that distance).

The sea of flaming swords all being extinguished in the darkness looked amazing, but everything else about it was... just so bad. Galloping horses across rough ground, at night, in supernaturally dark/blind conditions? And until they got the flaming sword upgrade how were they even going to damage the wights anyway? And a single huge charge, no flanking or distraction tactics? Assuming the Night King or White Walkers can res as they go, every single one of yours that dies becomes an extra soldier all your mates now have to kill. What the gently caress happened to the idea that the snow would be too deep for cavalry anyway? Trying to melt the snow enough to make it even viable was what made Stannis burn his daughter and now we've since had not one but two huge battles outside Winterfell where eh, gently caress it, winter's not so bad maybe a light two inches of powder.

It's not going unnoticed elsewhere in the internet how it's two non-white armies being sent out to die so two nice white ladies can fight over who gets to be queen. The Dothraki in particular are getting the really lovely end of the stick. So did they just leave the wives and families back in Essos and go overseas to die in a war? Or did they take a massive civilian caravan along with them? If the former, they'd have to be pretty confident they're returning home at some point and who is looking after their family while they're gone? And they thought they were going to fight a war of conquest and glory, then end up fighting zombies? Nobody bothered to ask them how they felt about this mission creep at any point, almost like their opinion doesn't loving matter at all. Sure, the Unsullied you can get away with as they're just no-balled brainwashed killers with nothing else to do, but pretty sure the Dothraki might have some thoughts about not getting to kill and plunder at least for partially their own future benefit, but instead they're being marched off to a rough climate to fight literal dead people and not ONCE do they get to say “ you know, gently caress this”. Daenerys had a mini rebellion back in the day from some very loyal Dothraki after a short time in a desert. A desert with far fewer flesh-eating nightmare monsters.

You know, all this stuff would have made more sense if it had been spread out over the last several seasons instead of being crammed into the final few episodes in a skip to the end. All that work to capture one (1) wight that lost them one of their dragons, and all to win over a woman who immediately said “lol, betray them” that they are now going to need to fight anyway. Luckily the Night King sat on his hands and did nothing for the time it took Euron to build an entire fleet of ships, sail it around Westeros, then sail it to and from Essos. Just imagine how much better if there was still some actual political intriguing happening while fighting the dead, and not just clearing the decks so the final season is “‘kill monster, kill evil queen, all live happily ever after”.

Just seems a waste that, if you were going to have 8 seasons, that the Night King isn't south of the wall for at least 2 of them *while* everyone is still squabbling over the Iron Throne. I loved all the early political machinations and power struggles, and all the “zombies are coming” stuff, but they never managed to put it all together.

Winterfell looks incredibly non-hosed up in the episode 4 preview too.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Hay guys we have a castle with ramparts and trebuchets that are capable of flinging munitions over walls. I have perfect tactics, lets charge our light cavalry head first into the darkness against an enemy we literally cannot see, while we fire our siege weapons once. Also make sure 95% of our infantry are outside the walls and in the open, the enemy that outnumbers us over a hundred to one and cannot feel pain will really struggle against them!

Oh no the enemy swept our men aside effortlessly and are now climbing the walls. Good thing we have one exhausted man every 5 feet up here! That'll keep us hella safe from the people that we've seen at least twice before use highly aggressive shock tactics.

The night king deserved to win.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Quoting the article:

quote:

Through all the twists and turns over the last eight seasons, Game of Thrones has never been straightforward--until now. Season 8 Episode 3, "The Long Night," brought one of Game of Thrones' main storylines to its conclusion. The battle with the dead is over, the Night King is defeated, and the forces of the living are victorious. And it happened in the least inventive, most predictable way imaginable.

It's possible that I've been immersed in the world of Game of Thrones theories, speculating, and prophecies for too long. But that's a huge part of the fun of being a Game of Thrones fan: The books, and sometimes the show, are crafted so densely, with layers on layers of meaning and allusion, that combing through line-by-line to suss out every last secret feels endlessly rewarding. Fan communities across the internet have been cranking out theories for literally decades, even as the pace of book releases slowed to a crawl (and apparently stopped altogether at some point).

All these years of deep-digging have sometimes made it hard to enjoy the show, which is (understandably) simplified compared with the source material. But it also gives the series' biggest fans a huge amount of perspective: We can see all the possibilities for which the groundwork has been expertly laid over the years. And in "The Long Night," those possibilities all amounted to basically nothing.

Where do I even start? I guess with the fact that it seems like Game of Thrones, the show, has just missed the point of the entire series: that the squabbles between the great houses of Westeros are nothing compared with the unstoppable force of nature slowly bearing down on them from the wintery north. Game of Thrones was never supposed to actually be about the battle for the throne--it's supposed to be about the characters coming together to realize what was really important. The quintessential human fallacy, according to the brain of George R.R. Martin, is believing with absolute certainty that your personal battles are the most important fights that exist. It's a failure of perspective.

Now, with three episodes left, the series' ultimate threat died with a whimper, and its most short-sighted characters turned out to be right, their selfishness justified. As we saw in the preview for next week's episode, the survivors are going right back to their squabbles. They won the great war, but lost the thematic throughline. Why did any of this matter? To give Arya a cool hero moment? So Bran could keep doing absolutely nothing? So Theon could die pointlessly?

The litany of "whys," "whats," and "wheres" won't stop marching through my mind: What has Melisandre been doing in Volantis since last season? Where was undead Rickon Stark (or any other recognizable character) when the Stark corpses came alive in the crypts? Why was there so much foreshadowing about the crypts if nobody important was going to die down there? Why does the show refuse to acknowledge Ghost or include the direwolf in any meaningful way? Why did Jon's revelation to Dany--one of the most important plotlines in the entire series--occur right before this battle if it wasn't going to have any bearing on the events of this episode?

There's no catharsis or payoff in anything that happened in "The Long Night." Yes, it was cool to see Jon and Dany tearing through the sky on their dragons laying waste to the army of the dead with massive gouts of flame. But this episode felt weirdly self-contained, like everything that's happened leading up to it didn't matter. Every fan theory I've seen about the battle with the dead--whether it's a theory from the books 20 years ago or from Reddit last week--is immeasurably more interesting than what actually happened.

One of my favorites until now was that the Night King wouldn't actually show up at this battle--that the attack on Winterfell was a feint, and he was flying to King's Landing to roast Cersei on her throne. There was a ton of evidence for it, but it still would have been a shock. And even better, it would have fit that ultimate series theme--that the fight for the throne was a petty squabble, and the people who failed to see the big picture (i.e. Cersei) would pay a price for it. Instead, the Night King took the bait at Winterfell and died like an idiot. He took his entire race with him, and we never learned anything about them besides "White Walkers=bad."

There are so, so many things that will just never be paid off now. Dany unified the Dothraki tribes and brought them to Westeros so they could die, one and all, in a single ill-conceived charge (seriously, what was the strategy there?). What was the point of Melisandre's entire storyline--the Lord of Light, the resurrections, the Prince that was Promised? Was it really all so she could light some swords on fire and tell Arya to go stab a dude?

Even within the confines of this episode's story--Night King is just a dumb Big Bad Guy after all, he comes to Winterfell, he gets killed--there are endless more rewarding ways it could have gone down. Remember when Dany magically survived Khal Drogo's funeral pyre in Season 1? Now imagine Jon hadn't told Dany about his true identity last season, and instead she had realized there was more to him than she thought when he stepped into her dragonfire, unharmed, and stabbed the Night King in the back. Or it's Arya--but instead of nonsensically jumping onto the Night King's back, she employs her Faceless Men magic to pose as Bran. Bran stabs the Night King, removes his face, bam, it's Arya.

That's payoff. This was boring.

The battle wasn't even that cool, for all the show's creators hyped it up. Long, yes, but much of it was so dark that it was hard to read the action and tell what was happening. And all their strategies were terrible: They wasted the Dothraki in a single pointless charge, Jon and Dany flew around in the clouds doing nothing for minutes on end, and they sent their most vulnerable people underground to the place with dozens of pre-packaged zombies just waiting for the Night King to pop them into the microwave. Dany sat on the ground for no reason and didn't notice the horde of undead crawling onto Drogon's back, and the Night King and all his generals didn't hear the young woman sneaking up on them through the snow. Every single character, living or dead, acted in the stupidest ways possible. It's incredible to me that this episode was written by showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, because it feels like it was written by somebody who's never seen the show before, much less has any understanding of the source material.

With three episodes left, Game of Thrones has pulled one of its final twists: It subverted all our expectations in the worst ways possible. We expected some real, impactful main character deaths in this episode, and it turned out the stakes weren't nearly as high as we thought. We expected some payoff for things Game of Thrones has spent seven seasons setting up, and the reality is much of it was simply pointless. And worst of all, we expected the culmination of Game of Thrones' most important storyline--the literal battle between life and death--to matter.

We expected Game of Thrones to be better. And unfortunately, the show did what it's done so many times before: It turned our expectations upside-down. But being surprised by Game of Thrones has never felt worse.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Gamespot posted:

It's incredible to me that this episode was written by showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss, because it feels like it was written by somebody who's never seen the show before, much less has any understanding of the source material.

Lol this was actually the most understandable and predictable part

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

But I'm sure dumb people will laud this episode as literally the best in the entire show.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

But I'm sure dumb people will laud this episode as literally the best in the entire show.

Psyched that I have more ammo to poo poo on this whole universe with. Tomorrow ppl gonna be pissed with Peeler

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
lol, did they seriously kill the Night King like some dumb trash mob? This show is such pure garbage

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I knew they had no balls, but I thought they'd come up with at least one surprise.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
loving Arya killed the Night King?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

The only way this weekend could be any better is if they had killed Thanos by owning him into the negative zone with a 👌prank

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

The Dennis System posted:

loving Arya killed the Night King?

Woah now she did an anime dash and jump and then dropped her knife into her other hand like john wick did that one time. 8 seasons of buildup to the battle of the night king was totally worth it.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Remember how the many faced god included the red god, but didn't include death

Remember trying to figure out what the red god wanted

Where the gently caress did that question go lol

Lost amid trying to figure out what the zombie dudes want

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Nice, even TVIV seems to be turning against this bad show now.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I thought the episode was good. I went in wanting it to be good so I'm appreciating it. There should have been a few differences though:

Sam should have died, they faked out on him not dying way too many times. Just end him laying in a pile. Unceremoniously killed in the mosh
Beric should have died off camera after his scene in the hallway. Have the hound make some remark about him being a dumb bastard but in a brotherly way
Tyrion should have opted to commit suicide in the crypt when sansa pulled the dagger. Off camera. Would have opened up a moment of weakness for dany in the next ep when both jorah and tyrion are gone. I guess it would give varys a purpose again.
The 2nd dragon should have died.
Greyworm should have died. Have a moment of mourning with his girlfriend next episode. Signalling both of Dany's armies were lost. Plus the dragon. Plus her two advisors.
Bran needed to do something more. I don't know what exactly, but he needed to make one useful contribution. Even if it was just providing some kind of information on the battle that only he could know.
Jaime can't die, but brienne should have been finished off in the mosh. Just have her be completely overwhelmed in the courtyard when the flood happens. Nothing too ceremonious. She had her moment. Maybe have wildling man have an emotional breakdown in the next episode to show a new side of him and provide a heartfelt personal sense of loss to the otherwise overwhelming slaughter.
Jorah needed to die faster. They had too many scenes of him and Dany 2v30ing. Just one scene of that and then a short one at the moment of despair at the end have Jorah die less ceremoniously.

I don't have too many issues with the arya thing. I liked that they contrasted her and friends running away in the halls. It was a necessary change of pace and having arya just be invincible is one dimensonial. The hound PTSD attack was good. Having arya be sneaky was good foreshadowing. The cheesy quotes could have been left out, but I guess they weren't so bad. The reality is the situation was completely gone and there was really no other way out. Arya finishing the night king with the dagger used to attempt bran's assassination is probably one of the better possible outcomes.

You're all wrong about the opening charge. The moment of hope and empowerment being blotted out was extremely emotionally powerful for what kind of enemy they were facing.

Methanar fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 29, 2019

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
This really isn't that surprising given how little thought this show has ever given to its thematic throughlines and how invested it is in scenes of people (feebly) verbally dunking on each other and loving.

Not to say writing an interesting story about an army of evil doom is the easiest task in the world but after the previous episode it was pretty clear the show was itching to get back to scenes of two people walking into a room, saying lines, and leaving.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
They definitely spent too much time making things seem dire. Anyone watching would know the stakes. It was too drawn out. Too many scenes of people looking like they were about to die with nothing happening. Remove 15 mins of that and speed up the NK bit and it would have been immensely better with the same payoff but not the same problems.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Methanar posted:

You're all wrong about the opening charge. The moment of hope and empowerment being blotted out was extremely emotionally powerful for what kind of enemy they were facing.

Nothing is powerful about that moment, it is not powerful for a bunch of no-name dopes who look like well-fed hollywood hipster bro's in $1000 beards and makeup suddenly charging with flaming swords that all match each other for no reason, that they just gained for no reason, being sacrificed in the dumbest cavalry charge possible. The fires immediately going out into the darkness gimmick does not save that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah I was stoked towards the beginning.

The horror of the undead just overwhelming every horrible plan.

Then odds just got too overwhelming to loving be resolved any other way.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
At least I can look forward to Sansa dying after her inevitable betrayal just so I can stop having to listen to all her new fans talking about her like she's Beyonce Einstein.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

They definitely spent too much time making things seem dire. Anyone watching would know the stakes. It was too drawn out. Too many scenes of people looking like they were about to die with nothing happening. Remove 15 mins of that and speed up the NK bit and it would have been immensely better with the same payoff but not the same problems.

Actually the uncomfortable silence and fear build up at the very beginning was the best part. That was way more meaningful and emotion inducing than shaky cam fights.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Nothing is powerful about that moment, it is not powerful for a bunch of no-name dopes who look like well-fed hollywood hipster bro's in $1000 beards and makeup suddenly charging with flaming swords that all match each other for no reason, that they just gained for no reason, being sacrificed in the dumbest cavalry charge possible. The fires immediately going out into the darkness gimmick does not save that.

actually it does. it was to demonstrate the giant insane horde of psychos with no sense of self preservation that nobody wants anything to do with was instantly annihilated destroying the sense of hope they were given just moments sooner in the face of the unstoppable.

The purpose was for the moral impact on the survivors.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Methanar posted:

Actually the uncomfortable silence and fear build up at the very beginning was the best part. That was way more meaningful and emotion inducing than shaky cam fights.

I meant: Jamie is fighting and looks overwhelmed. Cut away. Sam looks like he is about to die. Cut away. and over and over and no one dies. It was repetitive and pointless filler that didn't add any suspense. The writers didn't trust that the viewers knew what was going on. That's the theme this year: show for stupid people who can't remember any thing past the last few seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Almost no words were uttered this entire episode, and those that were were just

1. Repetition of lines from the books, as callbacks
2. Random shouting of the obvious ("Protect the gate!" "Yes protect the gate!") (Jorah dying: "I'm hurt!")

Is there a writer's strike that I don't know about or something

Methanar posted:

actually it does. it was to demonstrate the giant insane horde of psychos with no sense of self preservation that nobody wants anything to do with was instantly annihilated destroying the sense of hope they were given just moments sooner in the face of the unstoppable.

The purpose was for the moral impact on the survivors.

I don't think you read what you're responding to