Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
e: fml wrong thread

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Its Coke posted:

Could you post that spoiler set

I tired googling game of thrones spoiler to find it again but it is impossible. Maybe if you go through the old thread in archives you can find it.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

Gresh posted:

"aight boys, lets send out half our army to charge 100,000+ zombies and a zombie dragon so they all get killed in seconds for reasons"

Its just an inexcusably dumb move, they had the defense position. Use the unsullied infantry as an anvil for the zombies and then send in the calvary from the flanks to attack the sides while pummeling the center of the zombie army with trebuchet fireballs + dragon fire

what we got instead was eyerolling nonsense

Everyone seems to forget that Shock Troops are an actual thing. Also You can't hammer and anvil if you're vastly outnumbered and can't push flanks. The dragons were countered too. They weren't expecting the dothraki to be obliterated, and weren't expecting the summoned cloud cover.

Plus if all those things happened without a hitch, would you have liked it? this thread would be full of "I can't believe they beat the undead army so soundly" posts for pages

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

It would have been outright better if they had good plans that failed instead of loving stupid plans that failed

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Do you mean the poop ending? There’s a link on page 5 or 4. It is complete gibberish even if you want to pretend all the stuff about eyrie and riverrun were changed. Though I wouldn’t be surprised if Euron does end up being the final villain, the runners really have no clue how much of a loser they’ve got in him.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mr.Citrus posted:

Everyone seems to forget that Shock Troops are an actual thing. Also You can't hammer and anvil if you're vastly outnumbered and can't push flanks. The dragons were countered too. They weren't expecting the dothraki to be obliterated, and weren't expecting the summoned cloud cover.

Plus if all those things happened without a hitch, would you have liked it? this thread would be full of "I can't believe they beat the undead army so soundly" posts for pages

The first scene of the episode had me thinking that every single person in charge in the fictional army were brain dead for doing such an obviously stupid thing. The scenes after that made me change my mind that no it’s not the characters being brain dead it’s the writers. Hard to sit back and enjoy the episode when the first scene was this dumb.

I’m not saying they should have had a good plan and won by executing it with supreme precision, but it would have been infinitely better if they had a not brain dead plan and show it fail for reasons other than “because the writers are colossal loving idiots.”

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I mean the trebuchets were IN FRONT OF THE TROOPS. WHAT?

Anyway there was some sick imagery, the zombies smashing in like a literal wave was super cool and the blizzard billowing in was super ominous

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!

Mr.Citrus posted:

Can't help but feel like people defending the tactics in this ep are just talking out their asses. A defending army in a siege does not put troops outside the walls. No commander would send a vast portion of their manpower out against an enemy they have no intel on and just hope for the best. For all the talk about Sansa and Tyrion being so smart, they weren't in charge of anything- in fact, there wasn't even a single leader in charge of directing any part of this battle, which is absolute nonsense.

The writers actively ignored any sensible strategies in service of "cool scenes" they wanted to see, and this was probably the right call for most watchers but goddamn does it make everyone on the show look like a loving moron.

They could have at least looked up a single wikipedia article on siege battles and shown how some smart strategies fall apart when applied to a magical undead army.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Chadzok posted:

I mean the trebuchets were IN FRONT OF THE TROOPS. WHAT?

Anyway there was some sick imagery, the zombies smashing in like a literal wave was super cool and the blizzard billowing in was super ominous

The “lets fire off our artillery and charge towards where they are hitting” just reminds me of this Chinese propaganda footage of one of their nuclear bomb tests where they saddle up and charge towards the nuke.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CzRX06Xqu80

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I'm confused about the status of one of the dragons. So obviously one became the zombie dragon and is now dead. Then there was the one Dany was riding that almost died but was ok in the end. So what happened to Jon's dragon? I'm assuming its still alive right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Watch the 804 preview on YouTube. I think I saw 2 dragons flying around so maybe they’re both alive?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Apr 29, 2019

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Charliegrs posted:

I'm confused about the status of one of the dragons. So obviously one became the zombie dragon and is now dead. Then there was the one Dany was riding that almost died but was ok in the end. So what happened to Jon's dragon? I'm assuming its still alive right?

theyre both alive according to next weeks preview

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
that night king death was like a video game where you grind for stats and gear for 500 hours then the final boss is a single QTE

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

frenton posted:

that night king death was like a video game where you grind for stats and gear for 500 hours then the final boss is a single QTE
It's ok, it's just because Arya was full of magical kingsjizz

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Its Coke posted:

Could you post that spoiler set

That's the poop ending and it's been completely invalidated now. It involved the Night King being killed by Jon throwing him out the Moon Door in episode 5. (as well as having the Battle of Winterfell be in episode 2 and featuring several casualties that did not end up happening, etc)

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The poop spoilers were better

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

GOD loving drat IT.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr.Citrus posted:

Everyone seems to forget that Shock Troops are an actual thing. Also You can't hammer and anvil if you're vastly outnumbered and can't push flanks.

You can certainly hammer and anvil when being outnumbered. It is literally just having chav hit the rear of things on the anvil.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

bbf2 posted:

That's the poop ending and it's been completely invalidated now. It involved the Night King being killed by Jon throwing him out the Moon Door in episode 5. (as well as having the Battle of Winterfell be in episode 2 and featuring several casualties that did not end up happening, etc)

Man I wish we got that instead

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The poop spoilers were better

change title to a Dream of Poop

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

There's post after post of people acting like Ser Edwin Of House Rommell, author of Undead Infantry Attacks. All these posts about how real world medival siege tactics applying to world war z undead just sounds like this to me.

Within the context of the show and story, the battle is fine.

TheKevman
Dec 13, 2003
I thought Mad Max: Fury Road was
:mediocre:
so you should probably ignore anything else I say

Tenzarin posted:

I tired googling game of thrones spoiler to find it again but it is impossible. Maybe if you go through the old thread in archives you can find it.

God dammit how did I miss this I can't find anything that is even seemingly legit on google.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Well I think the issue is that those were bad tactics, even if these weren't Undead?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheKevman posted:

God dammit how did I miss this I can't find anything that is even seemingly legit on google.

https://www.desinerd.co.in/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-1-leak-script/

quote:

Daenerys’s body hanging from the walls in King’s Landing. The people of King’s Landing are throwing poo poo at her body and make fun of her corpse.

The Poop That Was Promised

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 29, 2019

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I thought in a preview chapter from the book that will never come out the red woman admits basically every thing about her is fake except she can draw actual power from the wall? But the wall is shattered and magic is real anyway now? That's weird.

Also it's a pretty fuckin' lame prophecy to predict you're going to die, and then not die, and then just decide to die.

Like how is that falsifiable at that point?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Krinkle posted:

I thought in a preview chapter from the book that will never come out the red woman admits basically every thing about her is fake except she can draw actual power from the wall? But the wall is shattered and magic is real anyway now? That's weird.

I think that's an actual chapter of DwD. She has a kit of magic powder and potions, and even uses some while walking with Jon Snow to pretend that she melts ice wherever she goes and interally admits that even though she mostly uses parlor tricks her magic has grown stronger since arriving on the wall.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Watch the 804 preview on YouTube. I think I saw 2 dragons flying around so maybe they’re both alive?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nifft posted:

This is really all GRRM's fault because he couldn't finish the books.

GRRM is cersei

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Tertius Oculum posted:

Well I think the issue is that those were bad tactics, even if these weren't Undead?

I will have to see the episode again myself. Some things I just shrugged off already like 'you tell a dothraki horde to not rush into the enemy'
But at the very least I can accept that trying to outlast a sieging undead army is a dumb idea

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

So the poop ending becomes now the best option for this bittersweet taste grrm promised us. What a life.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/a4ea1k/spoilers_i_know/

I am not sure if this was posted yet, but someone dug up an old spoiler post on r/freefolk that no one believed at the time, and it turns out that the guy was spot on about everything that happened this episode.

He also says that Jon will kill Dany later in the show.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 29, 2019

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

SimonChris posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/a4ea1k/spoilers_i_know/

I am not sure if this was posted yet, but someone dug up and old spoiler post on r/freefolk that no one believed at the time, and it turns out that the guy was spot on about everything that happened this episode.

He also says that Jon will kill Dany.

gently caress. That would be quite unsatisfactory, but yeah, very possible now.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes a regular ol' sword, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai Jon come again, and the darkness shall flee before casually walk away from him.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Why does the night man have to be the darkness. There is worse still out there

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

Night man comes back in possessed MOUNTAIN.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Martman posted:

It's ok, it's just because Arya was full of magical kingsjizz

I hope ep6 cuts to the future where Gendry and Arya's bastard is born but he's got blue eyes

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Beric was the prince that was promised, had a flaming sword, saved humanity via saving arya.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

clown shoes posted:

Have some screenshots.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Nifft posted:

This is really all GRRM's fault because he couldn't finish the books.

I'm trying to decide which is better: GRRM has nothing planned and told D&D to hold the fort, or or if he described to them in abundant details how Arya kills the NK and it's totally sick, brah.

This is the most expensive show of all time and every episode is more uninspired than the last. The complete lack of enthusiasm has become a transcendant experience. Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

This show has been dumb plotting and writing followed by stupid spectacle since season 5, so this episode basically lived up to my expectations in that regard.

It was stupid but gently caress it was enthralling.