Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FuzzySlippers posted:

How's the hotbar bloat on the AST? I feel like Scholar has a bunch of buttons that do similar things but occupy their own CD.

I use 35 class/role buttons in total (with two more for Sprint and consumables). You don't use a ton of active buttons frequently, but you need a few for more fine-tuned control over your cards (specifically, discard macros for your Draw/Spread/Royal Road effects).

OneEightHundred posted:

AST is probably the worst in terms of number of skills that you need ready to use frequently and immediately, mostly because of the 3 cancel skills. Draw + card management is 8 skills.

You do need discard macros, but their use can be fairly infrequent depending on what you draw. RR and Spread discards are usually only necessary for Sleeve Draw, and you eventually stop using Draw discards for the most part once you get Minor Arcana in non-savage content.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I played WoW for a while and stopped before BFA, but I got the MMO itch and bought this game on sale for PS4. I’ve played a few hours and it’s fun so far but I’m wondering if I’m gimping myself by playing with a controller? Do any goons do endgame content on their couch, and are there certain jobs that lend themselves better to the controller scheme?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Vermain posted:

You do need discard macros, but their use can be fairly infrequent depending on what you draw. RR and Spread discards are usually only necessary for Sleeve Draw, and you eventually stop using Draw discards for the most part once you get Minor Arcana in non-savage content.
What I mean is "ready to use" frequently, i.e. available, even if you're not actually using it frequently. That is, there's a bunch of stuff that you might need to do any time Draw comes up, even if some of those things only get used during bad RNG runs, and all of it clogs up hotbar slots.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pussy Quipped posted:

I played WoW for a while and stopped before BFA, but I got the MMO itch and bought this game on sale for PS4. I’ve played a few hours and it’s fun so far but I’m wondering if I’m gimping myself by playing with a controller? Do any goons do endgame content on their couch, and are there certain jobs that lend themselves better to the controller scheme?

I use controller to play end game content, but use kb+m for all interface stuff; it's completely viable and quite good.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Pussy Quipped posted:

FFXIV's gamepad support is outstanding. The hardest part is building a hotkey setup that works for you + building muscle memory. Some jobs fit gamepad a bit better but all this could be moot with the class changes coming in 2 months.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Pussy Quipped posted:

You can do top difficulty stuff on a controller. I have a hard time with some jumping puzzles with it, though.

Take a look at this, it's pretty helpful for getting started. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q_i5_X01hecbCOZOIN_71zceuSjWSuaN-OJdU6ZPV6s/edit

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

I'd use this.

I'd also use this.
https://www.nexusmods.com/finalfantasy14/mods/163

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

OneEightHundred posted:

Once you get some memory tricks down it's pretty easy to remember what does what.

They're grouped by what you get from Royal Road (Power = Damage multipliers, duration = combat stats, AOE = resource refills), and they're also associated with elements (fire, earth, wind, ice, lightning, water) that have somewhat intuitive association with what they do.... or more inventive associations...

Spiky ice = Crit
Wind = Speed
Tree = Barkskin
Red ("fire") = Damage
Yellow lightning = Fills your yellow resource bar
Blue water = Fills your blue resource bar

Replace with your mnemonic of choice. I think it's more useful to view them in terms of the elemental associations since that's what the UI shows you anyway, and some of the card names have unintuitive meaning (i.e. no, "Arrow" is not the ones your bards want).

AST is probably the worst in terms of number of skills that you need ready to use frequently and immediately, mostly because of the 3 cancel skills. Draw + card management is 8 skills.

Scholar might be slightly worse in terms of skills that you want on-hand but more of those are cooldowns and some are very situational.

Cancel buttons are only a necessity if you're on controller. If you're on KB/M, you can still right-click them off as before.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Cancel buttons are only a necessity if you're on controller. If you're on KB/M, you can still right-click them off as before.

Clicking them off is highly not recommended due to both the travel time and the possibility of you accidentally stripping away an important buff/card. Binding them to macros is faster and much less error prone, especially during heated moments.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Pussy Quipped posted:

I play entirely on controller using PS4 using a keyboard to type. I main Ninja, but I also dabble in DRK, BRD, and SAM. I have gotten all classes to max using only controllers since 2.0's release.

I think controllers work fantastically in XIV and if I did any Savage content, I would be fine from a control standpoint. The primary difficulties I would suffer from would be Lords of Verminion and the Air Force One GATE. Both of these are Gold Saucer content and are far from mandatory, but I think kb+m have a clear advantage. Alternatively, I adore the Leap of Faith cliff puzzles and can do them with ease using the right analog stick's camera.

Controller kicks butt.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Awesome good to know. I’m not having any troubles with it currently besides having to unlearn years of kB+m muscle memory. Targeting does seem to give me some trouble and seems like it would get frustrating with large mobs of enemies though.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Pussy Quipped posted:

Awesome good to know. I’m not having any troubles with it currently besides having to unlearn years of kB+m muscle memory. Targeting does seem to give me some trouble and seems like it would get frustrating with large mobs of enemies though.

Helpful tip for this: hold R1 and press up and down on the d-pad to scroll through the enemy aggro list. It requires that the enemies all be aggroed, of course, but they should be by the time it matters.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Bad news: Targeting is a problem with large mobs of enemies.

Good news: You can customize your targeting behavior, just like you can customize every other part of your controls. You can even setup different behaviors depending on if you have your weapon drawn and sheathed. The filter options are under Char Config -> Control Settings -> Filters. In addition, you won't have to deal with large numbers of targets at higher levels.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
A really nice minor QoL feature would be if you could repair other people's gear, even if only to 100% (or, hell, 50%), just so you don't have to abandon a 50/60 roulette you've been trying to patiently coach a sprout Tank and Healer through when the Tank's gear all shatters 30 minutes in.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

That'd be great, yeah. They even have entries for it in the {Auto-translation Dictionary} as "Do you want me to repair it?" and "Can you repair it for me?"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tenik posted:

That'd be great, yeah. They even have entries for it in the {Auto-translation Dictionary} as "Do you want me to repair it?" and "Can you repair it for me?"

I think there's long since been a status icon for it, too.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They removed the ability to repair other people's gear? You could do it years ago, and could even set up a "repair shop". You'd think they'd remove the entries from the translator.

Vermain posted:

You can get it within two weeks without any weird market board stuff or praying for lucky HoH drops if you've got a 70 tank. Run Expert, Level 70, Alliance, Leveling, and Trials every day with the adventurer in need bonus and you'll get 603,260g a week. If you have a single gatherer at 70, yank a Gazelleskin Map out of the ground every day and sell it for an extra 20-70k per day. There's no royal road to riches, but you can keep yourself comfortably in the black with only a bit of legwork.

I don't even have anything at 60, and haven't even finished ARR's story (so much warping back and forth to Minfilia wears me out fast), which is why I'd have to grind up to access HoH.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly I feel like gear repair makes no real sense. It doesn't add anything to the game but an extremely minor gil sink, and I feel like the majority of the population of the game doesn't see gear break unless they forget to repair before a roulette or something. Even in terms of doing high-end content the time it takes gear to break is lengthy enough even at default that you'll probably hit the time limit before you lose all your gear.

I know it's a legacy thing they're not going to remove and I certainly don't want it to be more punishing but it's a drat waste of time more often than not.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
gear repair is there to motivate raid players to level crafters

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I feel like gear repair makes no real sense. It doesn't add anything to the game but an extremely minor gil sink, and I feel like the majority of the population of the game doesn't see gear break unless they forget to repair before a roulette or something. Even in terms of doing high-end content the time it takes gear to break is lengthy enough even at default that you'll probably hit the time limit before you lose all your gear.

I know it's a legacy thing they're not going to remove and I certainly don't want it to be more punishing but it's a drat waste of time more often than not.

I'm pretty sure that this is the mechanic at play, not the possibility of gear breaking. Gear breaking is just a punishment for not paying your taxes to the MMO economy, not actually a mechanic to engage with.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Hildibrand 70 quests expect me to have an ilvl of 365. I have 335, I have to buy so much more equipment to get there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FactsAreUseless posted:

The Hildibrand 70 quests expect me to have an ilvl of 365. I have 335, I have to buy so much more equipment to get there.

Trust me when I say that trial is worth the effort of getting there.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Trust me when I say that trial is worth the effort of getting there.
Good to know, I'm sure I'll manage it. I bought a 380 weapon on the MB so I just need to get most of my equipment up to 360

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Once you hit 350 you can do the Alphascape raid which is very easy and gives 380 gear.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Once you hit 350 you can do the Alphascape raid which is very easy and gives 380 gear.
Oh seriously? Good to know.

Edit: I also understand the third Ivalice raid gives 380?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Gimlet Dark drops 375 too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nessus posted:

Gimlet Dark drops 375 too.
Is this a story quest or a side quest?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is this a story quest or a side quest?
It's a dungeon that unlocks during the MSQ. It is admittedly almost literally the last thing in it.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Anyone know if the song from the Shadowbringers trailer is available anywhere?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The moon lady fight is some good poo poo

Good-rear end boss design

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This cutscene might be the game's peak

Edit: Big Z going full Vayne in this flashback

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Doing DRK 60-70 reaffirmed my opinion that the best job quests in the game are drk, with an honorable mention to pugilist. Granted, DRK 50-60 is pretty standard instead of great.

Even realizing what was going on at the start of the last quest didn’t ruin it, just made it that much better. SHB is going to kick rear end for story given it’s the same writer.

If you haven’t leveled dark knight, do it just for the job quests, even if you have no intention of playing the class afterward.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Doing DRK 60-70 reaffirmed my opinion that the best job quests in the game are drk, with an honorable mention to pugilist. Granted, DRK 50-60 is pretty standard instead of great.

Even realizing what was going on at the start of the last quest didn’t ruin it, just made it that much better. SHB is going to kick rear end for story given it’s the same writer.

If you haven’t leveled dark knight, do it just for the job quests, even if you have no intention of playing the class afterward.
THM/BLM aren't incredible but they're good start to finish, and 60-70 are great. There's just a weird gap 50-54 where you don't fight anything.

Edit: I'll also always give it up for Arcanist 1-30 and Rogue 1-30. Good stories with pirates and adventure and they don't try anything stupid.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

If I could wield Arcanist books instead of staves as a Black Mage I would do nothing else.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

FactsAreUseless posted:

THM/BLM aren't incredible but they're good start to finish, and 60-70 are great. There's just a weird gap 50-54 where you don't fight anything.

Edit: I'll also always give it up for Arcanist 1-30 and Rogue 1-30. Good stories with pirates and adventure and they don't try anything stupid.

ACN 1-30 has you dance in front of a box which then ambushes you with slugs. It definitely wins for class quest lines.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh seriously? Good to know.

Edit: I also understand the third Ivalice raid gives 380?

i390, so even better. They also recently unlocked it so if you really want to, you can run it over and over to get a full left side of i390 while also grinding Mullondeis Coins, one of the three alliance raid tokens used to buy upgrade items for I390 Scaevan gear.

The third Ivalice raid is so drat good. It gets me hyped for what will come with the NieR raid. :allears:

gently caress Eden. Glory to Mankind.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The Grimace posted:

The third Ivalice raid is so drat good. It gets me hyped for what will come with the NieR raid. :allears:

Can't wait to wipe on a boss because half the raid is crying over a dead robot that looks like a garbage can.

(I will be in that half, obvs)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Kaiba should have been a WHM to more accurately represent Stormbloods healing meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FactsAreUseless posted:

The moon lady fight is some good poo poo

Good-rear end boss design

The Tsukuyomi fight made me feel emotions.