Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

TorakFade posted:

moving pops becomes mandatory once you start racking up hundreds of slaves in your capital

That's what I thought too, but then I just let them starve out. You get so many slaves in your capital anyway that you can replace any dying ones through war easily.

Edit: great first post of the page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm able to forgive a lot of stuff in this game, but one system I absolutely hate is the tactics system. It's not strategic. It's just rock papers scissors guesswork. And it's very unclear to players how it works, considering the number of people i've seen confused thinking tactics give passive bonuses that don't actually exist. It's pure RPS, and it's garbage. The AI will switch tactics willy nilly and you just have to guess and hope you're right. It's basically RNG, except it's worse than dice rolls because it makes players feel bad about choosing the wrong choice. How is this fun? Why can't tactics just give passive always-on bonuses based on unit compositions and terrain (and possibly against other compositions?), with penalties or restrictions to changing them often? That way it would at least feel rewarding for building armies and using them correctly. Instead we just have to play bullshit guessing games.

I think if the UI for it was a bit better it would be more fun (it's actually really awkward to try and figure out what tactics are good in some situations) but yeah the biggest problem at the moment is that there's minimal incentive to choose a tactic that you're actually good at; instead it's specifically about trying to pick the one which avoids you giving a bonus to the enemy's tactic. Which given the fact that the army composition modifiers was a late thing added during development isn't that surprising. I agree it would definitely feel better if your tactics gave you permanent bonuses which lined up with how well they suited your army composition, which were then lost if the enemy chose the correct opposing tactic. And let's have armies default to something that they're good at and not just shock every time.

mmkay posted:

That's what I thought too, but then I just let them starve out. You get so many slaves in your capital anyway that you can replace any dying ones through war easily.

You can do this but it's nice to move slaves out into other cities in your capital province to produce capital excess bonuses, which will suck up like 100-150 slaves depending on how many there already are in your capital province.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

RabidWeasel posted:

You can do this but it's nice to move slaves out into other cities in your capital province to produce capital excess bonuses, which will suck up like 100-150 slaves depending on how many there already are in your capital province.

Yeah, that's what I started to do until I got a natural surplus for the capital bonus in the whole province. But then it felt like a waste to spend over a thousand of civic points to fix this:

So I guess, welcome to Macedonian Rome :v:

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Zurakara posted:

Admittedly number 4 is :effort:.
the portraits for this game are really great. they're diverse as heck and pull more than their weight in adding characterization.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

trapped mouse posted:

Not sure how this event specifically works, but yes, it does matter. Often time that character will be put in a debtor's prison and will be unable to fill any positions until they have paid off their debt in prison. I've had that happen a couple times when I have a governor pay money to a province over some issue.

In my experience it doesn't matter one lick if the character is your ruler though.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

mmkay posted:

Yeah, that's what I started to do until I got a natural surplus for the capital bonus in the whole province. But then it felt like a waste to spend over a thousand of civic points to fix this:

So I guess, welcome to Macedonian Rome :v:

You could always build a fuckload of granaries, they also make your slaves happier. If you've hit the civilisation cap you get much less of a benefit from more marketplaces.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Zane posted:

the portraits for this game are really great. they're diverse as heck and pull more than their weight in adding characterization.

yeah they did a good rear end job. They're also pretty diverse in terms of clothing and hair style across cultures. Armenian nobility looks fly af

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Wait is that literally Germanic tribe Iosif Stalin? :ussr:

mmkay posted:

Fact is, the ones dying of starvation seem to always be freemen or citizens, not slaves. And gently caress me if I am going to have those die and then promote, assimilate, convert literal dozens of slaves at 3 clicks each to replace them

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Is there a policy that converts slaves? I know there's one for tribesmen.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Eimi posted:

Is there a policy that converts slaves? I know there's one for tribesmen.

There's the social mobility province policy, which randomly promotes/demotes one of your pops, targeting an even split of citizens/freemen/slaves; it sucks, because I do want more citizens than freemen and more freemen than slaves, generally...

This is the weakest part of the game IMO, interacting with pops is clunky, slow and frustrating without a ledger, batch tools, region-wide or province-wide (e.g. religious conversion: with the macro builder you have to select which type of pop to convert. So say you have 5 citizens, 3 freemen, 2 tribesman and 4 slaves? You want to convert them all? Macro builder, convert pop, select citizen, click 5 times on the city, select freemen, click 3 times on the city and so on ... that's a lot of clicks)

when I should just be able to see or select various options both at pop type level, and city/province level, like "convert 1 citizen for each city in the province, cost 300", "convert all pops in city, cost 500", "convert all freemen in province, cost 1000" and so on

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Another pleb tip: Frustrated by the senate? rear end in a top hat senators are denying your warmongering? Hold some games! You do this by going to the character interaction screen for your consul. Unless your consul is wildly unpopular (uncommon, since popularity's needed to be elected), holding games will frequently place your ruler over the 80 popularity threshold for acquiring more votes, which very often sways the senate in your favor. When available, this option is much better than swaying/overriding the senate with tyranny, since republics take a long time to burn off tyranny.

It's another simple tip that most people have probably figured out on their own, but I find it easy to forget about the different character interaction options available.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 29, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Uh... you can absolutely raise your own armies as a tribe. You can't alter the force composition of your retinues, true, but there's nothing stopping from raising regular forces too.

You CAN do it but they're building so many it's a fast track to bankrupcy.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Post-launch dev diary out

quote:

Hi everyone and welcome to the first post-release development diary for Imperator!

As soon as the first patch, Demetrius, is ready, it will be released this week.

For Imperator, some things will be similar to how we have developed games since we released CK2, and some will be new. We will aim to have two major updates each year, with accompanying big expansions, where we focus on flavor in the paid content, while having core systems primarily part of the free patch. We have been working on ideas for our first expansion, but before starting on that one, we are doing a big free patch, which contains a lot of free features for all of you.

This free patch has been in development since the release version was frozen in mid february, so it contains all the things the design team have been working on, while QA and Coders worked on stability, AI and polish for the release.

Our first big patch called ‘Pompey’ will be out before the summer holidays, and will contain some new features, and lots of balance changes. We’ll talk about some of the balance changes in this development diary, and for a list of most new features go to the roadmap at https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-current-roadmap.1170956/

Technology
While the technological research in the game was working mostly fine, we had some edge cases that did not work out all that great. First of all, it was impossible to really catch up when you were behind, unless you were a really small country, so we did a reversed ahead of time penalty from when you are behind Secondly, it was also possible to stack your research output so high that ahead, rendering the ahead of time penalty useless, so we made the ‘ahead of time penalty’ a multiplier on your tech speed. Finally we changed the base time for a new technology from 15 to 20 years.

Shattered Retreat
The action of voluntarily doing a shattered retreat was a bit over-powerful, in that while it was useful, it had almost no drawbacks. Now when you do a manual shattered retreat from the unit interface, that unit will also lose 50% of its remaining strength.

Truce Breaking
As you may have seen in the dev clash, breaking a truce had no impact on your reputation, so it will now increase your aggressive expansion as well, just like some other games we do.

Mercenaries
Mercenaries, while performing mostly like we intended, where too much of a renewable resource. What we have done is reduce the amount of mercenary companies, and not stack them all in the most heavily populated areas.

We also made it so that mercenaries can not be stackwiped, and if they would have been, instead they now charge their disband fee from employer, and leaves his employment.

Mercenaries that are no longer employed and marching back to their home city, will no longer reinforce during the march.

You can no longer recruit mercenaries that have not recovered all their strength.

Regnal Numbers
We have added in the functionality for monarchies to use regnal numbers on their rulers. So your 4th Alexander will be “Alexander IV Argead”.

Assassinations
These were a bit powerful, and rather devastating if you played a monarchy or tribe. So in those nations, the military skill of your master of the guard or bodyguard reduces the success chance of that action.

Governors
One thing that was completely missed when developing the game, was the aspect of having the governors attribute matter. This obviously needed to be changed, so now finesse skill of governors will impact the output of the cities they govern by 5% for each finesse.

Population Growth
Population growth also had a few problems in that we had only one variable to play with. After a lot of discussion and testing we split it up into population capacity, which terrain, technology, civilization level and granaries impact, and population growth, which is impacted by resources and situations like your city being burned to the ground by invading armies.

Stability
The old stability mechanics were partly legacy from the first PDS game ever made, with a range from -3 to +3, and also one of the most complained usage of power that we had in the game, in that people did not enjoy being able to instantly increase stability if they just had power.

First of all stability is now 0-100, and decays towards 50 over time. Of course all events and mechanics changing stability have been adapted to the new range.

Stabbing a pig costs 100 power, and gives +0.5 stability a month & increased pig-stabbing costs by 50% for 5 years, and this is stackable, so the more pig-stabbing you do, the faster it will increase in that timeframe.

Threshold for starting wars is a minimum of 10 stability, and you need 10 stability to appoint people to government.

War-Exhaustion
In a similar way War-Exhaustion has also been overhauled, in that it is no longer an instant reduction for some power. You now spend power to add an overtime reduction of it, and this can be stacked in a similar vein as pig stabbing.

Legitimacy
When changing Stability and War-Exhaustion, we also took a look at legitimacy, and made it work the same way. Legitimacy is no longer instantly increased from a button press, but a stackable short-term increase you can pay to get.

Modding Support
One little thing with all these balance changes is that to make them more easily handled, we changed the price-structure we use for lots of actions, to support 4 new values, instead of just gold, powers and manpower.

These 4 values are stability, tyranny, war-exhaustion and aggressive expansion. So if you wish for assigning ideas to increase your war-exhaustion in your mod, now you can do it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

New dev diary available detailing balance changes not coming in the next patch, but the patch after that (to be released in a couple months): https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-29th-april-2019.1172430/

quote:

Shattered Retreat
The action of voluntarily doing a shattered retreat was a bit over-powerful, in that while it was useful, it had almost no drawbacks. Now when you do a manual shattered retreat from the unit interface, that unit will also lose 50% of its remaining strength.
Huh. I dunno how to feel about this one. This makes excursions into enemy territory far riskier.

quote:

Governors
One thing that was completely missed when developing the game, was the aspect of having the governors attribute matter. This obviously needed to be changed, so now finesse skill of governors will impact the output of the cities they govern by 5% for each finesse.
Wait, so the finesse rating currently does nothing? Then what determines how quickly pops are converted/promoted/assimilated by provincial policies?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Wait, so the finesse rating currently does nothing? Then what determines how quickly pops are converted/promoted/assimilated by provincial policies?

Apparently?

Funny because there was a dev diary before release that specifically tells you to use governors with a high Finesse score. Did they just... forget to make it do the thing?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Imperator Rome: Pig stabbing costs are stackable

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nice!

quote:

stability is now 0-100, and decays towards 50 over time. Of course all events and mechanics changing stability have been adapted to the new range.

Stabbing a pig costs 100 power, and gives +0.5 stability a month & increased pig-stabbing costs by 50% for 5 years, and this is stackable, so the more pig-stabbing you do, the faster it will increase in that timeframe.

Threshold for starting wars is a minimum of 10 stability, and you need 10 stability to appoint people to government.

This will be cool and I really want to see where they want to go with it. Stability always felt a bit odd against all other systems in their games. Population Growth news are also cool. No news about a ledger, fixing the UI or making interaction with the moving parts of the game easier and friendlier, is not cool :(

:paradox:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

TorakFade posted:

This will be cool and I really want to see where they want to go with it. Stability always felt a bit odd against all other systems in their games. Population Growth news are also cool. No news about a ledger, fixing the UI or making interaction with the moving parts of the game easier and friendlier, is not cool :(

I'm still wondering if manpower regen being abysmal is a bug or a feature, because it feels really broken. Pop growth news is tentatively good though.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

TorakFade posted:

No news about a ledger, fixing the UI or making interaction with the moving parts of the game easier and friendlier, is not cool :(

I'm guessing the UI stuff is a fairly non-trivial change whereas the things in this patch are mainly changing the numbers behind some buttons.

Hopefully the summer patch will have a ton of that sort fix.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I think Oratory power does too many things, I feel like it's all I'm ever waiting for!

Also the game really should make you more aware when you've not put new ideas in your slots. I don't remember the tutorial covering it and it took a while before I even realised it was a thing.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Drone posted:

I'm still wondering if manpower regen being abysmal is a bug or a feature, because it feels really broken. Pop growth news is tentatively good though.

Manpower growth is supposed to be 25 years to full, instead of the 10 of EU4. Why is beyond me (possibly because it grows much faster than in EU4) but its not bugged.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'm not happy with UI but in general map works great and I dig gameplay.

As Bosporan Kingdom I've conquered most civilized places around and now any expansion would either mean sailing into faraway lands I won't be able to defend or getting those tribesmen and opening my borders to barbarian hordes.

Diplomacy might be too restricted compared to EU4, but it's a first time Paradox made it so that expansion for its own sake doesn't feel like it's always net positive. Even with people complaining about changes about territories and conversions you'd still benefit from a new 1/1/1 province in a middle of nowhere. Now a new province might mean a new powerful governor in your state, a bunch of useless people of wrong culture and wrong religion who produce nothing. It's easy to see how trading with that province instead would be much more beneficial.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

AtomikKrab posted:

I got the albion achievement using manabuys and uh... temporary friends to help me conquer all of Britain.

My Gripe is really well really....

That I have to put up forts in the north because of the infinite barbarian generator.

You can stop barbarian generation by taking/colonizing provinces next to the generating location and setting the province to the civilization focus. It will tick that location's civilization amount by some amount per month until eventually the barbarians just don't spawn anymore.

You can also click on those barbarian generating locations and see what the current monthly tick is, etc.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Also right now I irrationally want EU4 with that map - useful terrain mod - and proper UI scaling.

Maybe CK2 with those portraits too.

As for I:R the only thing that irritates me at the moment is a lack of province view (how many infidels are in that province? Should I switch the policy to conversion? Are freemen here unhappy in general? Should I import wine?) and the fact that I have to build each road province by province.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

"For Imperator, some things will be similar to how we have developed games since we released CK2, and some will be new. We will aim to have two major updates each year, with accompanying big expansions, where we focus on flavor in the paid content, while having core systems primarily part of the free patch. We have been working on ideas for our first expansion, but before starting on that one, we are doing a big free patch, which contains a lot of free features for all of you."

This part of dev diary makes me hopeful. I've bought most of the content for CK2 and EU4 so it's not like I'm greedy. But I'm sure that core mechanics put in DLC made the game worse for everybody. It'll be fine if events/special governments/military traditions are all in DLCs if core mechanics remain part of the base game.

I also didn't understand why stability is shown as just "1" instead of "+1" but it won't matter soon, won't it?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Somebody put a lot of work in the inheritable dna and genes affecting face morphs and colors for characters to matter so little.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I've realised that when you've got a shitload of religious power you can just declare war willy nilly. Why am I wasting time fabricating claims when I can just pay to get it back to 3 instantly?
Especially when I've got so little oratory power.

It's pretty frustrating that someone else can become war leader and bring their allies in because it's quite hard to work out who that would be, the game should make clearer "These will become war leader and X, Y, Z will join the war as a result".

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Apr 29, 2019

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Manpower growth is supposed to be 25 years to full, instead of the 10 of EU4. Why is beyond me (possibly because it grows much faster than in EU4) but its not bugged.

It also is ruined by paradox math. There's a thread on reddit but the tl;dr is that every city contribution to manpower is rounded down, so you end up losing 15-25% of your pops manpower.

quote:

What we are missing from this equation is that this is a Paradox game, which like all other Paradox games, suffers from a rather severe case of Paradox Maths. It turns out that your monthly Manpower does not just get rounded once per city, but rounded down once per city. In the example of the first screenshot, I am getting almost 1 Manpower less per month than I should since 2,075/300=6.917, but it gets rounded to 6, about 13% lower than it should be.

The lower the Manpower Cap of a city, and therefore monthly Manpower, the larger percantage of your monthly Manpower you lose. Any cities with less than 300 Manpower Cap give 0 Manpower per month. Scaresly populated areas obviously get it worst. Leaving countries there to rely heavily on their base Manpower recovery which as an added bonus is of course being rounded down from 12500/300=41.67 to 41 (provided you don't have any maximum Manpower modifiers)

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Taear posted:

It's pretty frustrating that someone else can become war leader and bring their allies in because it's quite hard to work out who that would be, the game should make clearer "These will become war leader and X, Y, Z will join the war as a result".

It seemed to always do it for me? On the war declaration screen, there'll be the allies, and if an ally has an helmet next to the name it means it might bring his own allies and you can hover on the helmet to see who is likely to join (as far as I can tell that only happens when said ally will become warleader), plus in the final confirmation popup before the actual war it will tell you who becomes the warleader

at least, 99% of the time. Then, 1% of the time, you'll declare war, the popup says no one would join, go for it, you're safe, and then you get dogpiled by a farcical amount of filthy unwashed Gaul tribes :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 29, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nothingtoseehere posted:

25 years is a generation, basically, so that makes sense to me.

It does mean that you have to take a much longer-term view of your manpower budget than you would in EU. Less "this is what I have you the next war" and more "this is what I have for the next three wars". It also punishes you for dragging out wars for years trying to get every last province rather than taking the win and getting out quick. Both of which I think are net improvements to the formula.

The one problem I see is that, because of the 1,000 man cohort size, the system doesn't scale well at the lower end- rather than simply fighting wars with smaller armies, you fight wars with the same size armies and have to wait longer in between.

Cohort size is in defines, btw, so that could be changed. In a mod, even.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

TorakFade posted:

It seemed to always do it for me? On the war declaration screen, there'll be the allies, and if an ally has an helmet next to the name it means it might bring his own allies and you can hover on the helmet to see who is likely to join (as far as I can tell that only happens when said ally will become warleader), plus in the final confirmation popup before the actual war it will tell you who becomes the warleader

It's good that it's in there, but it really should be out in the list proper and not hidden in a tooltip.

Might also be nice to have a little icon in there relating the exact nature of the relationship that an ally is getting called in on. Defensive league, ally, guarantee, vassal etc.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So I backed up my save to try to form the Roman Empire and it involved doing basically nothing for 20 years but stockpiling money, mana and finding one guy to be my new emperor and make him as wealthy and popular as possible. I got my chosen hero popular by fighting a series of opm's and holding a triumph after each battle. I paid him huge sums of gold from the state treasury. When he became Consul I paid for the populist faction to get 60 seats in the senate which got me a hefty dose of tyranny. Then I had to change my election law over and over again because each time you change it you gain three populist senators. This cost about 2000 Oratory power total. Finally I could ...become a king??? and lose everything that made rome special such as laws and offices? Then I need to do another decision to actually become an empire that requires 600 cities?

This seems really dumb. First off it's impossible to actually enact the form a monarchy decision without exploiting the game because whenever you have more than 50 senators in a faction they trend downward and not up no matter how popular they are. Having to spend 20 years worth of power on changing your law over and over to actually get support can't be working as intended. And why do you become a regular kingdom before you unlock the decision to be The Roman Empire.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

It's good that it's in there, but it really should be out in the list proper and not hidden in a tooltip.

Might also be nice to have a little icon in there relating the exact nature of the relationship that an ally is getting called in on. Defensive league, ally, guarantee, vassal etc.

Oh yes of course. Everything UI can and should be improved.

Couple questions: what are you people spending all your Oratory power for? I don't change laws very often, I'm loving tired of clicking "assimilate" (I should do it on, uhhhh, about 7000 pops?) and since a single claim for a province usually gives you a fairly big chunk of land, most often you can't even spend it all in claims (btw do claims ever expire?)

earlier in the thread someone posted a link to a podcast about ancient history , what was that again? And/or do you have any recommended, relevant podcast to listen to while I wait for sieges to progress or armies to slowly move across the whole adriatic coastline?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

TorakFade posted:

earlier in the thread someone posted a link to a podcast about ancient history , what was that again? And/or do you have any recommended, relevant podcast to listen to while I wait for sieges to progress or armies to slowly move across the whole adriatic coastline?

If it wasnt Dan Carlin's punic nightmares or death throes of the republic they linked the wrong podcast

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Eimi posted:

Quick question about formables, I'm guessing that since Sparta is a monarchy you cannot form the Pan-Hellenic League? At least decision wise I just have Arkadia and Argead Empire, and I don't really want to move the capital from Sparta to form Arkadia.

I think something is bugged or scripted wrong for the Greek formables too, because as Boeotia I don’t have the Pan-Hellenic League decision as an option, but for some reason I can form Arcadia despite not being that culture or in the region.

Boeotia is a tough Greek Minor to play as BTW, especially since the beginning game is all about racing to re-absorb Thebes before Phrygia does, and then figuring out how to actually get access to boats when all avenues of expansion are held by either Phrygia or Macedon. That being said, they do have a slightly better starting situation than most Greek minors and can get trade access to iron fairly easily.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

TorakFade posted:

Couple questions: what are you people spending all your Oratory power for? I don't change laws very often, I'm loving tired of clicking "assimilate" (I should do it on, uhhhh, about 7000 pops?) and since a single claim for a province usually gives you a fairly big chunk of land, most often you can't even spend it all in claims (btw do claims ever expire?)

Oratory power is also spent on character interactions. I think organizing gladiatorial fights between prisoners is a good boost for ruler popularity. You also smear the reputation of everybody important.

The podcast was probably this one https://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/ Everyone recommends it even though I myself didn't find it that engaging. The performance is not so good. Something like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History would be much much much less reliable but he makes you want to listen to him.

I'd also recommend Great Courses which is read by university professors. https://www.thegreatcourses.com/category/history.html?CFM=mega_menu They might look a little click-baitish but I assure you that you won't find anything of higher quality. It looks pricey but you have a 14 days trial on Great Courses Plus if you want to do it in legal but cheap way.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

What's a good way to marry women of your ruling family? Tooltip says that I can only "arrange marriage" with foreign characters. But what if I want a woman to stay in my country?

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 29, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

ilitarist posted:

Oratory power is also spent on character interactions. I think organizing gladiatorial fights between prisoners is a good boost for ruler popularity. You also smear the reputation of everybody important.

The podcast was probably this one https://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/ Everyone recommends it even though I myself didn't find it that engaging. The performance is not so good. Something like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History would be much much much less reliable but he makes you want to listen to him.

I'd also recommend Great Courses which is read by university professors. https://www.thegreatcourses.com/category/history.html?CFM=mega_menu They might look a little click-baitish but I assure you that you won't find anything of higher quality. It looks pricey but you have a 14 days trial on Great Courses Plus if you want to do it in legal but cheap way.

Thanks. Well I think I'm going for Dan Carlin's one, it's kinda cheap and it seems like the guy is fun to listen to, which is ideal since I want to listen to a podcast to alleviate boredom, not compound it :v:

About character interactions, I regularly forget about them except when I need to smear someone's rep or make friends with a leader, which doesn't happen all that often. I also didn't even know you could arrange marriages until very recently

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

ilitarist posted:

What's a good way to marry women of your ruling family? Tooltip says that I can only "arrange marriage" with foreign characters. But what if I want a woman to stay in my country?

Find a man in your country and marry her from there? I think that's how I did it in my Macedon run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
Does anyone know if there’s a quick/ easy way to play as a country with the Cybelene religion as its majority state religion? Cappadocia seems to be the best tag for this but I don’t know how to get the ruling class / government to be majority Cybelene or Anatolian in culture.

Spiderfist Island fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 29, 2019