Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Krinkle posted:

I thought in a preview chapter from the book that will never come out the red woman admits basically every thing about her is fake except she can draw actual power from the wall? But the wall is shattered and magic is real anyway now? That's weird.

Also it's a pretty fuckin' lame prophecy to predict you're going to die, and then not die, and then just decide to die.

Like how is that falsifiable at that point?

The only important thing Melisandre did this episode was improve the quality of the show's lighting by about 400%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

I’m excited for the next episodes in KL because at least I’ll be able to see things without turning the tv up to burn-my-retinas level brightness.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I'm 100% fine with Arya killing the Night King but....why didn't she actually use any of her magical assassin skills to do it? She should have put on a Wight-face or a Bran-face or anything. She just jumped out of nowhere.

Nobody needs special training to teleport around 100,000 wights and kill a guy

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Mike N Eich posted:

Nobody No one needs special training to teleport around 100,000 wights and kill a guy

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Mr.Citrus posted:

There's post after post of people acting like Ser Edwin Of House Rommell, author of Undead Infantry Attacks. All these posts about how real world medival siege tactics applying to world war z undead just sounds like this to me.

Within the context of the show and story, the battle is fine.

:haibrow:

Lmbo at people being SO MAD about it.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mr.Citrus posted:

There's post after post of people acting like Ser Edwin Of House Rommell, author of Undead Infantry Attacks. All these posts about how real world medival siege tactics applying to world war z undead just sounds like this to me.

Within the context of the show and story, the battle is fine.

Yeah no, the tactical decisions were intuitively dumb to the point of being immersion breaking. "don't spend spend two episodes making a super fortress to have a last stand in and then charge out blindly to fight in the open" doesn't require reading Sun Tzu. There's a lot I can hand-wave away as being fantasy not historical or "well whatever it's a battle against a zombie army" but a lot of the decisions were even worse when viewed from that perspective.

I was specifically kind of baffled as to why they were building the trench, a specifically anti-heavy cavalry fortification, in ep.2 when the army of the dead didn't have any cavalry. So when the Dothraki charged off into them my first thought was "well I guess they do now, good job". That didn't happen but then it turned out the zombies hit like a world war Z style wave... which would have made the trench useful... if they were behind it.

Then there was the siege weapons built outside even the perimeter fortifications

Then there was the positioning your elite spear infantry, the perfect thing for stabbing zombies trying to navigate dragon-glass obstacles in a pit, in front of your trench filled with cavalry spikes to die sacrificially.

Then they burn all the cavalry spikes because what they really wanted was a fire barrier so they took all that time making your wood into shapes that doesn't let you put it in dense formations or burn well, and put it in a pit where it can be gone over/easily suffocated with debris and corpses.

At this point my thought was "well in the books they don't resurrect right away, and maybe they have more troops then can man the castle, so they're just sacrificially sending everyone else out to do as much damage as they can". Nope, look at those barely manned walls that slow down the horde for about 30 seconds... if only anyone knew where you could get some dothraki screamers with flaming swords.

And then there was the whole dragonglass making the army of the dead instantly disintegrate except when the plot needed the mass of the army to get things done with corpses.

I actually enjoyed it, but it was really dumb.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Personally I think everyone should have died in this episode except maybe jon and dany who fly off on their dragons, to go crawling to Cersei who feigns assistance and then chains the dragons and strings the targs up by their innards. The Starks are extinct and the North falls to the wights.

This whole episode was telegraphed in advance bar the small details. I certainly hope this season has a Red Wedding equivalent but I doubt it. The 'third twist' is probably just someone (Jon) killing Dany and that also has been plenty telegraphed.

The show has fallen victim to its popularity, the only people that died in this ep were expendables and those who had finished their arcs. Why are characters getting heartwarming sendoffs? Why are they not getting brutally murdered with such callousness that you hate the writers?

Why? because the writer is no longer GRRM, it's dave hill and his band of merry dickheads. Show sucks, but I'll keep watching. Because we'll never get the books.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/a4ea1k/spoilers_i_know/em1rby4/

Hello. Come back to this post after the episode airs next week.

- Euron's fleet takes down Rhaegal.

- Jaime betrays the North. Missandei is captured.

- Dany's army captures Jaime. Brienne tries to talk to him but he refuses.

- Sansa tells Tyrion about Jon's lineage. Tyrion tells Varys.

- Varys betrays Dany because he thinks Jon would be a better ruler.

- Cersei has Missandei executed.

- Dany has Varys executed. Dany assaults King's Landing and it's one-sided as hell.

- Tyrion begs her to show mercy but she refuses.

- Tyrion frees Jaime to try to get Cersei out of the city.

- King's Landing gets wrecked in the battle. Drogon burns Euron's fleet.

- The Hound fights his brother. They both die.

- Jaime fights Euron and kills him, but Jaime is mortally wounded.

- Jaime makes it to Cersei and they die together.

- Dany is executing everyone in King's Landing. Jon and Tyrion are upset.

- Dany has Tyrion arrested to be executed for freeing Jaime.

- Tyrion tries to convince Jon that his family will never be safe because his lineage makes him a threat to Dany's rule.

- Jon tries to talk to Dany but she justifies her actions.

- Jon pledges himself to Dany but then stabs her, then surrenders himself.

A council gets formed to decide who the King should be. Tyrion gives a speech and everyone votes on Bran to become King. The end.

In the epilogue, Jon takes the black again for killing Dany. Arya leaves. Sansa rules the North. Bran oversees his council of Tyrion, Davos, Sam, and Bronn.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
This wasn't posted by the same account who started the thread, though...

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

if it goes that way then LMAO

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Jaime betraying the north after last episode where he was fighting to the death for them would be the dumbest thing.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The Bronn thing at the end gives it away. He's completely missing from the rest of the spoilers, and why the gently caress would Bronn ever even agree to be on a small council.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Friends, search your heart. You know these spoilers to be true because they are insanely stupid.

VanillaGorilla posted:

The Bronn thing at the end gives it away. He's completely missing from the rest of the spoilers, and why the gently caress would Bronn ever even agree to be on a small council.

So he can get a castle! Or so he can be captain of the city guard again.

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Wouldn't mind seeing Bronn kill Cersei.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Jon just ending up freezing and drinking poo poo ale with rapists and murderers guarding a wall that's not even there anymore is a shirt end for that character after everything so of course it's true.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
All hail Sperg King Brandon Stark, Ruler of the Seven Kingdoms.

He shall finally put in motion his true Dream of Spring: horseless interconnected carriages that move by rail.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Nail Rat posted:

Jon just ending up freezing and drinking poo poo ale with rapists and murderers guarding a wall that's not even there anymore is a shirt end for that character after everything so of course it's true.

Guarding a wall that's not there anymore from threats that aren't there anymore. Why would the Night's Watch even continue to exist?

So yeah that's what's gonna happen.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

No no don’t you see, the wall is now the metaphorical wall between lawfulness and lawlessness. Jon will become the sheriff of Westeros.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tertius Oculum posted:

Wouldn't mind seeing Bronn kill Cersei.

One of the few things that couldn't happen, since the two of them apparently can't be in the same room.

Though I guess they could use cuts and have him shoot her with an arrow?

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
I hope those leaks are 100% true so I can witness the legendary salt mines

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

I'm afraid those spoilers are not true, but instead something even dumber happens. So far the spoilers have been terribly misleading regarding making general sense.
On the other hand, Bran would make an excellent king and his council obviously is well-suited, too. Yeah, let's do this.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
It would make sense for Jaime to turncoat again. He joined Winterfel to fight an existential threat against humanity but now that the dust has settled he’ll return to his family and original loyalties.

Its quite appropriate to the theme of the books if everyone immediately goes back to backstabbing politics because the world is a lovely place full of terrible people.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Jon Kills Dany is third-degree word of mouth from a person on the scene of a show that is now well known to film things to throw off such leaks, and Jon killing Dany is a very popular theory from the Azor Ahai theorycrafting.

In addition if Frikidoctor's trial is accurate the Unsullied are present and if Jon killed Dany or even if she is dead they wouldn't be there. They'd have died trying to avenge her or hosed back off to Essos.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Goons Are Great posted:

On the other hand, Bran would make an excellent king

lol what

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

- Dany has Varys executed. Dany assaults King's Landing and it's one-sided as hell.

- Tyrion tries to convince Jon that his family will never be safe because his lineage makes him a threat to Dany's rule.

A council gets formed to decide who the King should be. Tyrion gives a speech and everyone votes on Bran to become King. The end.

In the epilogue, Jon takes the black again for killing Dany. Arya leaves. Sansa rules the North. Bran oversees his council of Tyrion, Davos, Sam, and Bronn.

I’m rooting for stupidity so I hope this is all true.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Every fake spoiler was better than the real plot so far

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Goons Are Great posted:

On the other hand, Bran would make an excellent king

:gonk: "Your Grace, we would like to request some grain for the coming winter, we don't have enough in the Iron Islands."

:geno: "The grain is exactly where it is supposed to be. It will bring your people where they belong."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sky Shadowing posted:

Jon Kills Dany is third-degree word of mouth from a person on the scene of a show that is now well known to film things to throw off such leaks, and Jon killing Dany is a very popular theory from the Azor Ahai theorycrafting.

In addition if Frikidoctor's trial is accurate the Unsullied are present and if Jon killed Dany or even if she is dead they wouldn't be there. They'd have died trying to avenge her or hosed back off to Essos.

the friki trial leaks make no sense at all, i wouldn't be surprised if it was an alternate ending

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

[...] and Bronn.

HANH?! How in the hell does this make any sense?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MoaM posted:

HANH?! How in the hell does this make any sense?

It doesn't, that's why it'll happen

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

One of the few things that couldn't happen, since the two of them apparently can't be in the same room.

Though I guess they could use cuts and have him shoot her with an arrow?

explain...

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

TommyGun85 posted:

explain...

They had an awkward breakup.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TommyGun85 posted:

explain...

They dated and had a bad falling out and refuse to be in the same room as each other when filming. It's why Bronn took Pod for a drink before the meeting in the Dragon Pit in the last ep of season 7.

Yes, these characters can not and will not interact for the remainder of the show because the actors are giant unprofessional piss babies.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

DrNutt posted:

They dated and had a bad falling out and refuse to be in the same room as each other when filming. It's why Bronn took Pod for a drink before the meeting in the Dragon Pit in the last ep of season 7.

Yes, these characters can not and will not interact for the remainder of the show because the actors are giant unprofessional piss babies.

that is amazing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The "bad tacti-realism. I know strategy because I played Total War: Rome" stuff kinda doesn't seem to acknowledge that the good guys had to actually go defeat the dead army. They couldn't just hide in Winterfell because the dead don't need to supply themselves. They can just stand there and wait for everyone to starve. Unless they wanted to put absolutely all their eggs in the "the Night King will come for Bran personally" basket, they had to go out there and kill and burn every last dead person.

Firing the trebuchets only once and sending the Dothraki to die for a cool visual shot was dumb though I'll give you that.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

J33uk posted:

They had an awkward breakup.

Bronn did what Salador Saan could not.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I mean they could have at least had the cavalry elsewhere to use as the hammer against the unsullied anvil, or put siege weapons behind the walls, or just generally tried tactics beyond "run right at them". I agree that not using generic siege tactics when the enemy can't be starved out and can climb walls is the right idea, but they also spent all that time and effort putting dragonglass all over the walls and then ran out of clever ideas.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
In the lore 3,000 Unsullied hosed up 25,000 Dothraki because their literal only tactic was "run right at them"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Captain Splendid posted:

In the lore 3,000 Unsullied hosed up 25,000 Dothraki because their literal only tactic was "run right at them"

They fight like Mongols, or like ancient Persians, they encricle, shoot arrows and then try to exploit gaps, it took them days to lose to the unsullied and eventually they just gave up.

In the books the Dothraki are not mindless killbots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Too many survivors.