Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
First Slaanesh book reviews are going up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UoXib2sY_s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

First game stuff: I ended up running Mannfred, an Abhorrent Archregent, 2 10 man---er--corpse units of skeletons, unit of 5 Black Knights, and a min unit of Ghouls taking on Lady Olynder, 2 units of Chainrasps, a unit of Banshees, unit of Glaivewraiths, and what I think was Liekoron.

My ghouls charge in and tie up some chainrasps and then get taken out quickly as was the plan. Black Knights charge the other one and do absolutely nothing. Archregent summons another unit of ghouls and then ties up banshees. Mannfred on the other hand charges in and wrecks everything taking out banshees and an entire 20x unit of chainrasps, then later fails a charge. He then gets charged by Olynder, survives with 2 wounds and then drops 12 wounds back on her taking her out.

Some takeaways: *Black Knights suck and I should have built them as Hexwraiths.
*Abhorrent Archregent isn't exactly the monster I thought he'd be, but he did ok. If I'd actually have had more stuff built, I could have thrown up even more summons, but bringing that entire unit back was enough. I think he'd have done better against normal infantry than the elites, but he did mow through some dudes.
*I didn't really understand the point of spears on skeletons with the lower wound roll, but after piling in and seeing how combat actually works, that reach would have been REALLY nice.
*Mannfred is good. Like really good. As in, he might be the best single model I've ever fielded in any minis game I've ever played. I'm sure there are better ones, and probably even better ones in AoS and even Death, but good god I've never had a character mow through stuff like that and throw good spells. I magnetized him to swap the mortarchs out, but I may not ever even do that.
*AoS is a super cool game and I'm glad I finally gave it a chance. I think anyone hating on it at this point are still made about round bases and are people I probably don't want to play with anyway.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Just played 2 rounds, one was 1000 points, other was 1500, both got played out of the Open War Deck. I have about 3000 Points of Khorne, and 1800 points of Stormcast Eternals, and I played Stormcast over the 2 rounds:

First Match was 1000 Points vs Nighthaunt:
My 1000 Points:
Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger
Knight Invoker:
5 Evocators
5 Sequitors
5 Retributors
1 Ballista

His 1000 Points:
Chainrasps: 10
Spirit Hosts: 9
Two mounted that I cant remember

Open War Scenario: Central Point

My Opponent capped the point with his general in Round 2. Soon after the Retributors and Evocators started absolutely wrecking everything around them. Even with Nighthaunt ignoring the Rend the Evocators Chain lightning became rediculous, Then the retributors reduced the general on the central point to absolute dust, can I capped the point. I parked the five Sequitors on the point and used Lord Arcanum to empower them, so knocking them off the point was basically impossible.

Opponent conceded in round 4 after he lost too many units to the Retributors.

Next Round: Stormcast V Nurgle:

Open War Scenario: The Comet (A comet lands in a random area at round 3, Person who controls it round 5 wins)
My 1500 Points:
Lord Arcanum on Gryph Charger
Knight Invoker:
Knight Venator
Lord Relictor
5 Evocators
5 Sequitors
5 Retributors
10 Liberators
3 Castigators
1 Ballista

Opponent:
Blight Kings
Drones
A few other units I can't really remember what they are called

This game was a lot harder. Nurgle is rediculous with the wheel, and the fact that they save against mortal wounds on 6s for certain annoying units. This caused issues with wounds going back the other way. Stormcasts feel the pain with wounds, and low model count. Luckily, my opponent misjudged the Evocators and went for the Sequitors, the Castigators sucked and didn't do much, Knight Venator flew around plinking things, but was ultimately nothing special. The Retributors again proceded to dust the Blight Kings quickly and the Evocators destroyed the rest by round 2, but the drones persisted until the comet fell in battle round 3, in my opponent's area. He quickly put his general there. In my next movement I charged with the Retributors and killed his general in the combat round. He conceded in Round 4 after I parked the Liberators on the point.

Observations:

Nurgle is stupid strong and requires high damage to effectively deal with.
Castigators are terrible
Liberators are not worth it when you can get Sequitors for only a few points more.
Guy with Death army doesn't want to play death anymore.
I like playing Stormcast but i have more fun playing the Khorne army.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
My own Stormcast from the Soul Wars set fought my friend's Nurgle army today, funnily enough. It was 1000 points and he had a Blight Cyst list. A lot of his strategy seemed to depend on his lord, but I deepstriked my Evocators and Celestar Ballista onto his table edge at turn 2, and the Evocators deleted him in one combat round on turn 3. They got wrecked by Blightkings immediately but at least his permanent armour save reduction never got any use. As it was my first game ever we were just trying to table one another, and I'd killed more wounds worth of stuff than he had by the end of turn 6. Much to my surprise, actually.

I'd like to expand to 1500 points, and my plan had been to take more Castigators, a Lord-Ordinator, use the relevant Battalion, and take some Judicators for my third battleline, making 1500 exactly. However it turns out the Castigators barely did anything in that fight, so now I'm not sure it's worth going for that battalion at all. Now I'm stumped as to where to go next. More Sequitors maybe, and something relatively fast?

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 27, 2019

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

"Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth."

Dr Snofeld posted:

My own Stormcast from the Soul Wars set fought my friend's Nurgle army today, funnily enough. It was 1000 points and he had a Blight Cyst list. A lot of his strategy seemed to depend on his lord, but I deepstriked my Evocators and Celestar Ballista onto his table edge at turn 2, and the Evocators deleted him in one combat round on turn 3. They got wrecked by Blightkings immediately but at least his permanent armour save reduction never got any use. As it was my first game ever we were just trying to table one another, and I'd killed more wounds worth of stuff than he had by the end of turn 6. Much to my surprise, actually.

I'd like to expand to 1500 points, and my plan had been to take more Castigators, a Lord-Ordinator, use the relevant Battalion, and take some Judicators for my third battleline, making 1500 exactly. However it turns out the Castigators barely did anything in that fight, so now I'm not sure it's worth going for that battalion at all. Now I'm stumped as to where to go next. More Sequitors maybe, and something relatively fast?

I'm not seeing the return on the Castigators much either. As far as batallions go it's the one thing I like about Stormcast. You don't necessarily need them to play a viable army, and I find the return on the cost to be more fruitful If i had thrown another unit on the table. I don't have much experience with Judicators, but a Lord Ordinator seems pretty solid. I'm currently in the process of adding 5 more Sequitors, Retributors and Evocators as I seem to be getting the results I want with those units.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
Sequitors are great but you probably want to aim to units of at least ten to get a good amount of Greatmaces. With Evocators' Empower cast on them Sequitors are a scary unit for a battleline.

Judicators are a good battleline unit to hold your objectives while having decent ranged attacks. You can also reserve deploy them to be in range of your opponent and hopefully draw units away from objectives to deal with them or they just plink away at their stuff all game. They've always done work for my army, either putting wounds on key enemy units or distracting enemy assault units. Be warned the Judicator kit is awful to put together compared to the recent Stormcast stuff.

Castigators are just a bit sad honestly :(

I think getting a Lord-Arcanum, two Sequitor units and an Evocator unit is a great base to build from and really you can go anywhere from there. The Stormcast range is quite deep at this point.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Slowly grabbing some free peoples stuff until they get a new book and don't have to ally in all their useful options.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I have this concept in mind:

quote:

Allegiance: Stormcast Eternals
Lord-Arcanum on Gryph-Charger (240)
- General
- Trait: Staunch Defender
- Artefact: Obsidian Blade
- Spell: Azyrite Halo
- Mount Trait: Aethereal Stalker
Knight-Incantor (140)
- Celestial Staves (Artefact): Staff of Focus
- Spell: Celestial Blades
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
- 2x Stormsmite Greatmaces
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Stormsmite Mauls and Soulshields
5 x Sequitors (120)
- Tempest Blades and Soulshields
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (100)
- 1x Stormsurge Tridents
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
5 x Evocators (200)
- Lore of Invigoration: Speed of Lightning
Celestar Ballista (100)
Cleansing Phalanx (120)
Dais Arcanum (40)

Total: 1500 / 1500
Extra Command Points: 1
Allies: 0 / 400
Wounds: 85

This is for the battalion, with the Prosecutors in there to make up the last 100 points and give some mobile ranged power, hopefully avoiding melee entirely. Ditching the Ballista entirely or forgoing the Prosecutors could put one of those Evocator units on dracolines. The castigators get tossed aside. Only downside here is a lack of hero units, I think?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Dr Snofeld posted:

I have this concept in mind:

This is for the battalion, with the Prosecutors in there to make up the last 100 points and give some mobile ranged power, hopefully avoiding melee entirely. Ditching the Ballista entirely or forgoing the Prosecutors could put one of those Evocator units on dracolines. The castigators get tossed aside. Only downside here is a lack of hero units, I think?

IMO you need way more than two heroes at 1500 if you and your friend get into the wider variety of matched play missions. A lot of them have objectives that can be held only by heroes.

I mean, at the same time it’s your second or third game of full Sigmar so play with what you have, but keep that in mind for future purchases.

Edit: Otherwise I like the list. The cleansing phalanx is worth it, and the sequitor/evocative combo is strong. Dropping either the ballista or the prosecutors can get you a casellant, which is a drat steal at 100 points and is a great model.

Asmodai_00 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Apr 28, 2019

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Asmodai_00 posted:

IMO you need way more than two heroes at 1500 if you and your friend get into the wider variety of matched play missions. A lot of them have objectives that can be held only by heroes.

I mean, at the same time it’s your second or third game of full Sigmar so play with what you have, but keep that in mind for future purchases.

Edit: Otherwise I like the list. The cleansing phalanx is worth it, and the sequitor/evocative combo is strong. Dropping either the ballista or the prosecutors can get you a casellant, which is a drat steal at 100 points and is a great model.

I'm gonna swap out the Prosecutors, then, especially since they cost twice as much real-world money as a Lord-Castellant.

Modulo16
Feb 12, 2014

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm gonna swap out the Prosecutors, then, especially since they cost twice as much real-world money as a Lord-Castellant.

I have a unit of them, and they are underwhelming. A Lord Castellant is a good choice. Free Gryph Hound, plus the opportunity to bring in another unit later.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Apparently GW accidentally posted some Looncurse artwork early:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ageofsigmar/comments/bi1z2p/gw_accidentally_put_this_up_early/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

loving radical.
You get him little guy. He might be glowing and godlike but you got grotlike gumption.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, I hope that means we get a non-Finecast Loonboss on Giant Squig out of this.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing that a rebirthed version of Kurnous? That's rad! I'm not sure Wood Elves need a new big model, but it might be an excuse to pick up allies for my Daughters.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Looncurse announced:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/28/coming-soon-looncurse/

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnZd_gSLpM

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Turns out its the tree thats the tiny one :v:

Looking forward to picking up those squigs for cheap, and the loonboss is rad

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

That looks like a pretty solid box value wise assuming it's priced similarly to W&R. Cool new squig, too.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Miles O'Brian posted:

Turns out its the tree thats the tiny one :v:

Looking forward to picking up those squigs for cheap, and the loonboss is rad

Nice! I'm glad the treebro isn't another huge model for them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Excited to pick up some Kurnoth on the cheap

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gently caress I'm gonna get back into 'hams

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Tree revs aren't so hot right now, but I imagine they'll be brought into line with the new battletome.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This is my gateway into Gloomspite. If I'm super lucky I can find somebody to take the Ents and whatever off my hands.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Dawgstar posted:

This is my gateway into Gloomspite. If I'm super lucky I can find somebody to take the Ents and whatever off my hands.

I probably would if Australia (so not likely). I decided that my cav army will be 1k of eel riders and a turtle. Trees would be nice allies maybe? I've sworn off buying boxes with two armies due to the hassle.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Goblin models are gorgeous. I am giving up on my undead and starting Goblins.

What should I get?

Anno
May 10, 2017

So this sure paints this character in a different light.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Anno posted:

So this sure paints this character in a different light.

Are you unfamiliar with the faction?

Anno
May 10, 2017

mango sentinel posted:

Are you unfamiliar with the faction?

I mean I knew they were really down with bugs, I guess. Just from the picture I saw yesterday I didn’t expect this guy to have a weird earwig jet pack. Unless other characters have these too and I’ve just missed them? I admit it’s not a faction I’ve looked into very much.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I thought he was just a Tree Dude with Wings, not that he had a bug as a backpack, which is cooler.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Doesnt the fluff say that their are these forest spirits that can take the form of bugs and poo poo? Maybe its one of those?

Clawtopsy posted:

Goblin models are gorgeous. I am giving up on my undead and starting Goblins.

What should I get?

Depends on what you want to do
Squig horde is nice. Get bunch of squigs and squig riders. The mangler squigs look so cool with how they convey motion.

The Trolls are my favorite redesigns and i highly recommend them.

If you go straight gobbos the Fanatics are STUPID good. Fighting first and dealing a poo poo ton of damage is the best.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah I thought he was just a Tree Dude with Wings, not that he had a bug as a backpack, which is cooler.

A bugpack.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At the beginning of every turn you have to roll a die and on a 1 he notices it and runs 2d6 to the nearest table edge.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

At the beginning of every turn you have to roll a die and on a 1 he notices it and runs 2d6 to the nearest table edge.

So the Doomwheel? :v:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Abilities:

- Vigour and wrath
- It's in my hair, it's in my hair!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
18 corpse flayers and 2 Courtiers finally fully finished.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

TKIY posted:

18 corpse flayers and 2 Courtiers finally fully finished.

God dang these are rad as hell. Does that kit make Vargheists as well?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

EdsTeioh posted:

Those and Crypt Horrors, fwiw

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

EdsTeioh posted:

Yeah, Crypt Horror bodies with Vargheist wings essentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

TKIY posted:

Yeah, Crypt Horror bodies with Vargheist wings essentially.

Do they look close enough that you could build one and run them as either? I ended up with half of a Carrion Empire, but I'm trying to focus on my Mannfred list. It'd be nice if they could do double duty.