Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tino posted:

Except the show started with the supernature white walker stuff.

1 scene that's treated as an afterthought for the rest of the season, sounds like it got an appropriate closure lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The showrunners know that the slackjawed masses that really buy into the show don't care about anything else at all except for who sits on the throne.

Does it go against and totally undermine the themes and arc of the show itself? Yes.

Does it make sense? Nope.

They're doing poo poo just for the audience. The entire story is fan service now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hmm yes why would a show called Game of Thrones focus on who sits on the throne

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Spoilers the white walkers magic is actually radiation based and every corpse was a walking irradiated zombie. The North is now a wasteland. Nuclear winter is coming.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Spoiler the Night King killed by Arya was in fact The Faceless Man, sent on a mission to kill the real Night King, who was warged into Bran. Bran then ordered his zombies to play dead to keep up the ruse.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Now that I think about it more, it's pretty stupid for HBO to make the ice zombie thread so weak and laughable. They got a few spinoff to sell, they really shouldn't explain the WW so clearly and cleanly.

Maybe D&D got paid by Kathleen Kennedy and Disney to sabotage GOT?

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
If I was trapped in a crypt with maybe like 30 zombies, I'm pretty sure all the men, women and children could rip off their heads, like they don't work on Romero zombie rules just, have the fattest crypt dweller sit on a zombie and someone else yank its head off.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Phi230 posted:

The showrunners know that the slackjawed masses that really buy into the show don't care about anything else at all except for who sits on the throne.

Does it go against and totally undermine the themes and arc of the show itself? Yes.

Does it make sense? Nope.

They're doing poo poo just for the audience. The entire story is fan service now.

Imagine writing a show for the audience what the gently caress were they thinking

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheManWithNoName posted:

Spoilers the white walkers magic is actually radiation based and every corpse was a walking irradiated zombie. The North is now a wasteland. Nuclear winter is coming.

nuclear winter isn't caused by radiation.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

tino posted:

Now that I think about it more, it's pretty stupid for HBO to make the ice zombie thread so weak and laughable. They got a few spinoff to sell, they really shouldn't explain the WW so clearly and cleanly.

Maybe D&D got paid by Kathleen Kennedy and Disney to sabotage GOT?

Selling the spinoff is exactly why they didn't explain anything about the motivations or backstory of the WW and the Night King, so they can do a full couple seasons of "the adventures of the guy who became the night king and why he's such a meanie now"

underthecube
Dec 5, 2018
i liked these last 2 episodes, im really not looking forward to seeing what they stretch out for another 6 hours

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I really want HBO to make a Rome movie (or maybe even a new series set during the time of the Gracchi or something), but given how their shows have gone lately maybe it's better to leave well enough alone.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Arya is Azor Ahai, the night king was not the ultimate evil, she will have to kill Gendry to make Lightbringer to defeat the drowned god maybe?

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I really want HBO to make a Rome movie (or maybe even a new series set during the time of the Gracchi or something), but given how their shows have gone lately maybe it's better to leave well enough alone.

Only if the deadwood movie is good haha

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hey yknow that character who has an assasination superpower of looking like anyone? gently caress that lets just rocket propel her into the air like an angry cat.

But enough about Barry

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Arya is going to teleport behind Cersei.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

underthecube posted:

i liked these last 2 episodes, im really not looking forward to seeing what they stretch out for another 6 hours

Eh if you liked the early seasons where it was just royals endlessly plotting against each other you should be entertained.

Honestly I'm kind of glad the spoilers someone posted a month or two ago weren't true, because they were somehow even dumber. I think the final battle was literally the Night King with an icy sword vs Jon with a flaming sword and the sound of their swords hitting each other was literally the "song of fire and ice"

I do like that Theon died because it makes Sansa's romantic choice of "hideously-scarred dwarf or guy with no wiener" much easier for her.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

kru posted:

Imagine writing a show for the audience what the gently caress were they thinking

Fair point tbh. If people will hoot and holler and clap their hands while throwing unimaginable amounts of money at you for any sequence of moving images and loud noises, why try harder?

See also: Michael Bay's career

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

There were two quotes in the first book that mentioned the phrase “Game of Thrones,” the first one was the hokey “you win or you die :smug: “ quote that Cersei says, and this one found its way into the show. The other, more interesting one that ties into the themes of a much more interesting story was something along the lines of “no matter who wins the Game of Thrones, the real losers are always the masses of commoners who have their lives ruined as a complete afterthought of the machinations of those in power,” which I don’t think made it into the show. When the snow zombies were marching southward, the person sitting on the iron throne was trivial, and even if the humans won, the King/Queen on the Iron Throne would essentially be King/Queen of Ashes and Nothing Else. It would have made for a much more interesting story, but instead we’re going to get “now that those boring ice zombies are out of the way, we can FINALLY see if Kelly C will sit on the Iron Throne!!!!”

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Arya is the deadliest flying squirrel known to mankind.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Randarkman posted:

nuclear winter isn't caused by radiation.

I don’t care go back to Oldtown nerd

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Beginning of episode was kind of cool imo. But otoh, of course the people of color are sacrificed unceremoniously offscreen for cinematic effect. And they didn’t have the balls to kill any of the legit main characters.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i wonder if the sanctimonious attitude of the thread will fix the show before it ends lol

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

really interested to hear your thoughts on why the show did not speak to you as a 3rd shift gas station clerk.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Gatts posted:

While a more knock down dragged out fight with the NK would have been cooler to establish him, I think the overall decisions to deal with this now and then wrap up by dealing with Cersi and the throne is good and right. The NK was always an overall looming threat but second to what everyone else was doing to each other for the Iron Throne.

I really think this is inconsistent with the overall pitch of the show, which has always strongly hinted that all the human internal bickering is ultimately meaningless in the face of the overarching threat of NK and his horde being a huge threat to humanity as a whole. I guess if you think of this show as being ultimately a Game of Thrones (like it says in the title!), yesterday's episode shouldn't be a disappointment. But I never really thought of the show this way, which is why it is to me.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sheen Sheen posted:

There were two quotes in the first book that mentioned the phrase “Game of Thrones,” the first one was the hokey “you win or you die :smug: “ quote that Cersei says, and this one found its way into the show. The other, more interesting one that ties into the themes of a much more interesting story was something along the lines of “no matter who wins the Game of Thrones, the real losers are always the masses of commoners who have their lives ruined as a complete afterthought of the machinations of those in power,” which I don’t think made it into the show. When the snow zombies were marching southward, the person sitting on the iron throne was trivial, and even if the humans won, the King/Queen on the Iron Throne would essentially be King/Queen of Ashes and Nothing Else. It would have made for a much more interesting story, but instead we’re going to get “now that those boring ice zombies are out of the way, we can FINALLY see if Kelly C will sit on the Iron Throne!!!!”

The books you say

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Prediction:

Asha's fleet will teleport even further and better than Euron's. Also she'll get a fleet, somehow.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

this show, which i have spent at least 70 hours of my life watching, is not good.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Hell Yeah posted:

really interested to hear your thoughts on why the show did not speak to you as a 3rd shift gas station clerk.

Wow, talk about being sanctimonious

Wait, which one are you? D or D?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Prediction:

Asha's fleet will teleport even further and better than Euron's. Also she'll get a fleet, somehow.

lol you are 100% correct:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
arya FUCKS

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Jon Snow did literally nothing this episode, which is pretty in character for him

also Melisandre did nothing except add special effects

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else surprised Bronn didn't show up because gently caress it, people teleport in this world.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

Anyone else surprised Bronn didn't show up because gently caress it, people teleport in this world.

They're saving him for the emotional stinger of episode 6 where he spends the entire episode palling around with Jaime trying to decide if he should kill him or not.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Snow Cone Capone posted:

because the show and series(did at 1 point) do not think monarchy or succession is a good thing. hhmnn yess reading is hard

matti
Mar 31, 2019

it was dumb but i didnt care

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dongicus posted:

because the show and series(did at 1 point) do not think monarchy or succession is a good thing. hhmnn yess reading is hard

Oh you mean a show about fighting for the throne has a subtext that monarchy is bad? This requires some deep thought.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Verisimilidude posted:

Jon Snow did literally nothing this episode, which is pretty in character for him

also Melisandre did nothing except add special effects

she told Arya to believe in herself and referenced some throwaway line six years ago

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
sunrise found her squatting in the snow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Dongicus posted:

Both the books and the show spent years building thematically on the idea that who sits on the throne is a complete non-issue in the face of a world-ending threat like the White Walkers, so it’s lame to see that threat end with a wet fart so we can get back to the unimportant extremely important question of Who Sits on the Iron Throne for the next three episodes, one of which will probably be feature length