Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Definitely not awesome.

Also a holder always makes your license plate look worse. Fight me

Unrelated:

even unrelateder

Powershift fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Powershift posted:

Unrelated:

Would....

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Hell yes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/KE7ImYM.mp4

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

cant wait to take the wealth of whoever is tacky enough to buy this

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

BraveUlysses posted:

cant wait to take the wealth of whoever is tacky enough to buy this

Sorry, I attached mine with tungsten carbide security bolts.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The funny thing is titanium just isn't that expensive. This is priced to make a poo poo ton of money off of idiots.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OHj72gFU3M

TWO WHEEL DRIVE LUXURY
FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SECURITY

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

KillHour posted:

The funny thing is titanium just isn't that expensive. This is priced to make a poo poo ton of money off of idiots.

it looks like it was machined out of a plate at least half an inch thick and I just found a quote for a 1/2" 12 x 24 titanium plate at $900.

The real racket there is that they get to keep 90% of the stock and reuse it. Hell, maybe it started out as offcut that was about the size of a license plate holder. In that case I'd even call it smart.

License plate holders are still ugly though

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Imagine in the future when buying a car and ready to sign...

Net cost of vehicle...$12,000
Clear coat protection...$500
Document Fees....$300
Ti Super Duper License frame...$1800

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like a clean border around my plate because the edges get rough and chipped looking after a couple years of life outdoors. A thin black trim keeps things from looking ratty.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KillHour posted:

OMG the exclamation point makes it seem so excited. "I'm a Fiat!" Yes you are, little buddy. :kimchi:

That was my intention! Guess it worked.

Well, they're built like a tank...

I visited the 47th Annual Pate Swap meet out at the Texas Motor Speedway on Saturday. This year I didn't really wander the swap meet. I didn't have hardly any money, and definitely didn't need more stuff this year, but I did visit the Car Corral, which I usually don't have time for. I took a few pics of stuff I thought was interesting, or thought you guys might find interesting.

'68 Pontiac Bonneville Superior Ambulance

Turbo Coupe!

'55 Chevy gasser, slightly altered wheelbase. Blown big-block Chevy.

'70 Olds Cutlass S Holiday Coupe
This is basically the same as my Cutlass, except a hardtop rather than my Sports (post) Coupe, and, you know, nice. It also has buckets and console, while mine has a bench. It looks like this one had a vinyl top, originally. Mine never did, so does not have the trim at the base of the C-pillars.

Buick Sport Wagon, flattop. 1970, I believe.

This was neat:

1959 Olds wagon being converted to an El Camino.

V8 Chevy LUV

1972 Chrysler Imperial La Baron. Cream leather interior was very nice. 440 V8, of course.

'56 Olds. I was gratified to see that it actually had an Olds engine, albeit a second-gen 455.

Vanderhall Venice. Neat paintjob/wrap.

1969 Mercury Cyclone.

1971 or '72 Pontiac LeMans
Of note on the LeMans is the Pontiac G8 wheels. Those are fitting without spacers. It's got a rear discs, and front discs with a lot less offset between the disc and the wheel mounting surface. Probably aftermarket spindles with modern bearing packs. A nice sleeper.

1967 Ford Galaxie.

Another Turbo Coupe!

And my personal favorite:

edit: I still ended up with a spare gas tank for my Cutlass. Someone left a good-as-far-as-I-can-tell A-body gas tank when they pulled out at the end of the day. Mine, now, to convert to EFI in-tank.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 29, 2019

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Of course it has montana plates

also

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tax evasion is cool! :downs:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Another General Lee in the background.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

xzzy posted:

Tax evasion is cool! :downs:

Is it tax evasion or vehicle registration? Or both? It wasn't just taxes that made Montana the go to, is it?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

McTinkerson posted:

Is it tax evasion or vehicle registration? Or both? It wasn't just taxes that made Montana the go to, is it?

The unlimited speed limit (while safe) during daylight hours.

edit: Should add, long gone but a race driver contested quite a ticket and won many moons ago.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

It's mostly the taxes. It can also be the "zero emissions/inspection" aspect of the registration, but it's mostly the taxes. This article claims on an exotic, this can easily amount to six figures.

Colostomy Bag posted:

edit: Should add, long gone but a race driver contested quite a ticket and won many moons ago.
Pretty sure that car has never been to Montana.

Edit: \/ :) :hf: :)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 29, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Krakkles posted:

It's mostly the taxes. It can also be the "zero emissions/inspection" aspect of the registration, but it's mostly the taxes. This article claims on an exotic, this can easily amount to six figures.

You are quite correct, talking about a different outcome of a different scenario. My apologies.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea, go to any cars and coffee, a lot of the supercars are montana registered.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 29, 2019

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Colostomy Bag posted:

Reasonable and prudent has been gone since... 1999? Repealed for actual speed limits the same year I got my license there.

There's also no sales tax in Montana which states sometimes take on registration.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Don Lapre posted:

Yea, go to any cars and coffee, a lot of the supercars are montana registered.

Eat the rich.

Why does Montana allow this? They could easily exempt commoners in 15 year old Tacoma's from some sales tax and still tax the poo poo out of these super exotics. Even if you tax at a lower rate than California/New York/Texas it's like turning away free money.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It looks like they did, if it's valued over 150k it's another $800. Where's Jamal or our other Montana posters? I'd call my dad but I'd guarantee he'll give me an anectodal answer that's mostly wrong.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Montana is already getting registration fees for the LLCs and a bunch of expensive cars and rvs and stuff, so I don't see the motivation to add an extra tax or try to stop the practice. It's really not mt's problem as far as I can tell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because it's unrealistic to expect that legislation gets introduced to only tax some vehicles, and any legislator that votes to add a tax to all vehicles it is going to ruin their political career.

And even if they did pass such a "tax the cars not here" law, then they have to come up with some way to enforce it. If the car is not in their state they have to set up some kind of inspection schedule in state to confirm the vehicle is there and Montana doesn't have any vehicle inspections either.. so any money you bring in is lost trying to earn it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

StormDrain posted:

Reasonable and prudent has been gone since... 1999? Repealed for actual speed limits the same year I got my license there.

There's also no sales tax in Montana which states sometimes take on registration.

Reasonable and prudent was only during daylight.

Got to hand it to Big Sky Country.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
gently caress it, if I could register my cars in different counties to reduce my tax liability, I'd do it tomorrow.

And a secondary sales tax on used cars? Lol, get hosed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Reasonable and prudent was only during daylight.

Got to hand it to Big Sky Country.

Now if only they could apply that sensibility towards public land access. :v:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

wesleywillis posted:

gently caress me. I've been wondering about this exact thing only with the rear view.

A few weeks ago some fucker either had their beams on or had what ever mad sykk HID lights and was following too close and blinding the poo poo out of me. I hosed with my rear view a bit to hopefully shine that poo poo back at them and sure enough they backed off.

Coincidence, or is there something to that?

I've had this happen enough times that I'm tempted to get some reflective tape, or a couple of cheap, small mirrors to put on the back of my headrests. Mostly happens with idiots in bro trucks with those ridiculous light bars, even worse when they have more than one.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

InitialDave posted:

a secondary sales tax on used cars? Lol, get hosed.

Don't most states do this? Washington State calls it "use tax" and it happens to be very close to the sales tax rate.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

TotalLossBrain posted:

Don't most states do this? Washington State calls it "use tax" and it happens to be very close to the sales tax rate.

PA definitely does this and it’s horse poo poo. Why the gently caress should a 20 year old Mazda 626 still draw sales tax on its ninth owner?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Imperador do Brasil posted:

PA definitely does this and it’s horse poo poo. Why the gently caress should a 20 year old Mazda 626 still draw sales tax on its ninth owner?

Because tax in the US is a tax on the transaction, not the product. Other countries have a value added tax, where the tax is on the product itself.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I know my state in Australia has stamp duty (aka extra sales tax) on top of the 10% GST at purchase

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

As Nero Danced posted:

I still want Finnegan and Freiburger to make their own take on this. The Dirt Every Day guys did it with a cadillac but it wasn't quite the same, it was too... competent.

It's not Finnegan and Freiburger, but Tony Angelo and Lucky from HRG did their own take on it :v:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw27SmoAWLF/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwx4VXkDcVO/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwr6PaCADZZ/

It's really well done.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I believe they may, and it's horseshit as far as I'm concerned.

Though in fairness, your actual tax rates are usually low. We might not get hit on selling a used item, but our sales tax equivalent is 20%.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Krakkles posted:

Edit: \/ :) :hf: :)

quote:

Then they deny your claim, your McLaren P1 is totaled, and you have to spend the next 6 months eating SpaghettiOs out of the box because you can't afford running water.

lmao thats written like its author is someone who ain't ever eaten spaghetti-os but wanted to write what he thought was his best "what the poor folk must do" anecdote

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

MetaJew posted:

Eat the rich.

Why does Montana allow this? They could easily exempt commoners in 15 year old Tacoma's from some sales tax and still tax the poo poo out of these super exotics. Even if you tax at a lower rate than California/New York/Texas it's like turning away free money.

Its almost as if you think poor people run this country and write the laws, not rich people. Where do you think you live, Sweden?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

T1g4h posted:

It's not Finnegan and Freiburger, but Tony Angelo and Lucky from HRG did their own take on it :v:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bw27SmoAWLF/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwx4VXkDcVO/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bwr6PaCADZZ/

It's really well done.

Some guy did this with an RSX

https://www.motor1.com/news/292898/twin-engine-acura-rsx-ls4/

Although with one miiiiiinor addition.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Yeah, I know. At least in our state you can write "gift" for the price on the title and not be taxed. They only basically ask what your relationship is.

But boy they don't like refunding license plate fees/taxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, I know. At least in our state you can write "gift" for the price on the title and not be taxed. They only basically ask what your relationship is.

But boy they don't like refunding license plate fees/taxes.

In PA they don’t even ask anymore about the relationship if you say gift, but you have to find a seller/buyer who is willing to go along. Just abolish the tax; most people skirt it somehow.