Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Telsa Cola posted:

Off the top of my head the Harrapan civilization was fairly advanced for the time but we basically dont know too much about them since we cant translate the glyphs they left.

Honestly the Indus civilizations kinda get the shaft when it comes to representation.

their statues were super neat looking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Tunicate posted:

it is true that societies with low levels of literacy got a lot more practice with rote memorization, and things that stunt memorizers do (like the method of loci) are based off of old historical methods

Also, the things they memorized (like long epics and religious texts etc.) usually had aids like repetition, rhymes, rhythm, and so on. It's a lot easier to memorize a poem than, say, the periodic table.

Although...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYW50F42ss8

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Zudgemud posted:

India has a bajillion languages from several different language families, so it's likely nationalist bullshit. However, I do recall reading somewhere that hindi has a rich vocabulary, but that too, might have nationalist bullshit.

The problem with comparing vocabularies is you have to define what a word is first, which is harder than you'd think. Run, runs, ran--is that one word, or three? Then you have to decide how to count those in other languages which may not be grammatically comparable, like Chinese which has no conjugations.

That said, languages that absorb a lot of loanwords tend to have more words in the dictionary for obvious reasons. Hindi is a widely language that looks to have multiple influences sort of like English so I'd imagine it has a large vocabulary.

But this is one of those things like Korea claiming Hangeul is the best alphabet. A) What does that even mean and B) who cares.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

their statues were super neat looking

and they had good plumbing which is the most important part of civilization

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What was the first city to not have rivers of poo poo running through its streets?

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 28, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Grand Fromage posted:

But this is one of those things like Korea claiming Hangeul is the best alphabet. A) What does that even mean and B) who cares.

A). Korea is the best

B) Koreans, very much.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What was the first city to not have rivers of poo poo running through its streets?

Skara Brae seems to have had some sort of indoor shitters with plumbing in 3000 BCE already. The Indus Valley Civilization was the first to have bigger cities with them a few centuries later.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've heard of studies trying to compare the information density of languages. At least one came to the conclusion that Turkish has noticeably higher inflation density than English, however they defined that. They had a low n but speculated from what data they did have that widely spoken languages often have lower information densities. This was a while ago so chances are it's been either debunked or followed up on by now

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Depends what you define as a city but the Indus Valley nerds probably had the first both largeish and cleanish cities.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

and they had good plumbing which is the most important part of civilization
it has saved more lives than any ideology we argue about on here

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

cheetah7071 posted:

I've heard of studies trying to compare the information density of languages. At least one came to the conclusion that Turkish has noticeably higher inflation density than English, however they defined that. They had a low n but speculated from what data they did have that widely spoken languages often have lower information densities. This was a while ago so chances are it's been either debunked or followed up on by now

Some of the followups have concluded that spoken information density is pretty consistent when evaluated as a factor of time rather than simply per syllable. If your language is more information dense per syllable it will tend to be spoken more slowly.

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/16e6/43a9e39674c58acd7cdf56c0ff4478492f63.pdf

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

The problem with comparing vocabularies is you have to define what a word is first, which is harder than you'd think. Run, runs, ran--is that one word, or three? Then you have to decide how to count those in other languages which may not be grammatically comparable, like Chinese which has no conjugations.

That said, languages that absorb a lot of loanwords tend to have more words in the dictionary for obvious reasons. Hindi is a widely language that looks to have multiple influences sort of like English so I'd imagine it has a large vocabulary.

Yes, and as you say the size of the vocabulary doesn't necessarily mean that much either depending on how the language works in terms of interpretation and context etc. It was just the only thing that I have personally encountered people saying. I have also had native arabic speakers claim that their language was the most beautiful for its capacity to describe things so intricately and flawlessly in poetry. So I'm pretty sure it's all just various forms romantic/nationalistic wank that comes from the biased personal knowledge and topical preference.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Does that then imply that places like the southern US where people's regional accents involve talking slower are then using inflection and slang to squeeze more information into syllables? While faster speakers may waste their time with extraneous participles and such?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

Does that then imply that places like the southern US where people's regional accents involve talking slower are then using inflection and slang to squeeze more information into syllables? While faster speakers may waste their time with extraneous participles and such?

I grew up speaking with southern US English accent and with Alsatian french. Then I moved to Canada and got to enjoy all sorts of horrid accents in both languages.

My takeaway is that we all spend 90% of our time bullshitting. Doesn’t matter if it’s unnecessary words or unnecessary syllables.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

there was some radio program that discussed this a long time ago, and one of their conclusions i remember is that dialects in which people talk relatively fast as in western Oregon (fastest speakers in the United States on average) tend to use a lot more ums, and ahs and 'like' space filling words. The faster you talk the larger the proportion of your speech that becomes extraneous.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Re: India accuracy of verbal transmission, I actually recall Wendy Doniger (a British academic who Hindutva partisans absolutely despise) citing some studies that found different versions of the Vedas to have greater consistency than other analogous techs within the Mediterranean. I can't remember the details though. Imo it's not that unusual, given the status of the Brahmins

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's believable to me that different writing systems could be more easily transcribed accurately than others

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

HEY GUNS posted:

it has saved more lives than any ideology we argue about on here

in undergrad engineering you learn that water flows downhill
in graduate engineering you learn that water flows toward money

(edit: or away from money, in flood fight efforts)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Indus Valley nerds

Where do the various ancient civs fall on the jock/nerd spectrum, also the cool/lame spectrum?

Here is my rough analysis:

Sparta: Jocks/Lame
Assyrians: Jocks/Neutral
Rome: Jocks/Cool
Egypt: Neutral/Cool
Babylon: True Neutral
Carthage: Neutral/Lame
Athens: Nerds/Lame
Indus Valley: Nerds/Neutral
Persian Empire: Nerds/Cool

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I mean I'm not sure I would put maybe the single most bureaucratic civilization of all time as neutral instead of nerdy.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Anyone got that sublime jock/nerd goth/prep ancient civilization chart?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Where do the various ancient civs fall on the jock/nerd spectrum, also the cool/lame spectrum?

Here is my rough analysis:

Sparta: Jocks/Lame
Assyrians: Jocks/Neutral
Rome: Jocks/Cool
Egypt: Neutral/Cool
Babylon: True Neutral
Carthage: Neutral/Lame
Athens: Nerds/Lame
Indus Valley: Nerds/Neutral
Persian Empire: Nerds/Cool

you are father of lies! egyptians are def nerds

Tree Bucket posted:

Anyone got that sublime jock/nerd goth/prep ancient civilization chart?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m angered by the eurocentrism of this tweet.

They fit in Greenland ? But not Egypt etc. it’s a terrible map.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

euphronius posted:

I’m angered by the eurocentrism of this tweet.

They fit in Greenland ? But not Egypt etc. it’s a terrible map.

Greenland isn't in Europe :smuggo:

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I'm not actually sure what makes an entire civilization 'jock' or 'nerd', but if it's how much written material they left behind, I think Rome has to be on the nerd end of the spectrum.

And I didn't even realize it was possible to be a goth jock, but then again I graduated from high school in the mid 80s before goths were really a thing, so what do I know.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So far as I know, most high school sociological divisions are based on largely fictional information because people who write content based in high school copy off of other writers (and a little input from their flawed memories from long ago).

Although it might be interesting if some anthropologists did actual studies on high school cliques.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

So far as I know, most high school sociological divisions are based on largely fictional information because people who write content based in high school copy off of other writers (and a little input from their flawed memories from long ago).

Although it might be interesting if some anthropologists did actual studies on high school cliques.

this has definitely been done (studying your local high school is much cheaper than going to New Guinea)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well, some of them do have their own kids, who hang around with other kids in their houses, or indeed are actually teachers. Not that they'll see everything going on between the kids of course, but it would still give a slightly more up to date view of things.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Squalid posted:

this has definitely been done (studying your local high school is much cheaper than going to New Guinea)

I’m the single dot with no connection.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I love how on the one hand there's 63 monogamous relationships and then some other guys went and tried to recreate the structural model for hemoglobin or something by loving.

Also that configuration on the top right intrigues me, it's self-contained and most members had a single partner, so those guys are not exactly players, but they are all connected by this one chick who went and had six partners in as many months but somehow didn't connect into the huge mainstream ball of gently caress. Is that a social clique, did they know it was going on, is it a club of some sorts, what is that? There's a similar fuckstar in the bottom left.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The two (I think ) same sex encounters make me wonder about the whole thing. (As in that seems way too low)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

If I had to guess I’d say nerd clique with one girl holding court over a bunch of dudes that think she’s amazing because she’s into anime/goth/Star Wars/whatever and are too socially awkward to get outside the group.

I knew a few situations like that in HS and college. Nothing as big, but one lady sleeping around with a handful of pliable dorks.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

euphronius posted:

The two (I think ) same sex encounters make me wonder about the whole thing. (As in that seems way too low)

I forget the source but I think it’s over 10 years old, so I would expect some level of reporting bias on this subject. You just have to accept it as a known problem and try and do the best with the data you have.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also remember that there isn’t a temporal aspect to that chart. This is sexual encounters over (presumably) 4 years so it’s not like they’re necessarily swapping around over a weekend.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s 6 months.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cyrano4747 posted:

If I had to guess I’d say nerd clique with one girl holding court over a bunch of dudes that think she’s amazing because she’s into anime/goth/Star Wars/whatever and are too socially awkward to get outside the group.

I knew a few situations like that in HS and college. Nothing as big, but one lady sleeping around with a handful of pliable dorks.

Anime is probably the goo that binds.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It says romantic relations too, not just sexual. So that makes it a lot easier to have people tied together by those 2 week "we're totally dating and gently caress YOU DIRK WE'RE BREAKING UP FOREVER" things that come up and then both people move on to someone else.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

anything that requires self-reporting by teenagers is gonna be super unreliable

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Family Values posted:

And I didn't even realize it was possible to be a goth jock, but then again I graduated from high school in the mid 80s before goths were really a thing, so what do I know.
early modern spain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Tunicate posted:

anything that requires self-reporting by teenagers is gonna be super unreliable

Self-reporting by anyone is unreliable to an extent, but there's research done that shows that teenagers can actually be more reliable than adults, particularly when being studied on issues that involve peer pressure. Teenage girls are less likely to lie about their weight than young adult women, for example.