Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I'd actually love it if Berserk ends up overall being about learning how to healthily cope with PTSD and allowing Griffith's world to fall apart without Guts and Casca having to go through even more pain and suffering. Guts' biggest enemy isn't Griffith, it's his rage and thirst for vengeance. Sating the dog has never been presented as a good thing in this series even if it's gotten him and his friends out of binds.

Griffith already self destructed once, he can do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

LouisF posted:

Monsuir ooh la la convinces everyone how to make his magic kingdom more like Disneyland and the artist draws the strawmen with that worried "b-b-but" look in their eyes like always.

:laffo: what hiatus does to people's sanity

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Rickert or Casca's going to get the kill and it's going to own.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah uh, this is a bit more like Hyper Prussia than Disneyland

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Seriously, you might as well just rename him Femto von Griffsmark

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Also re: someone's earlier comments about demonic motives... I don't think Griffith actually has any, strictly speaking. METHODS for loving sure, but his motives are the same as ever: get paid, get castle, get kingdom, get empire. The other 4 are enjoying their weird post-Fantasia demon parties, but Griffith is just doing what he wanted to do from the get go.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

Viridiant posted:

I'd actually love it if Berserk ends up overall being about learning how to healthily cope with PTSD and allowing Griffith's world to fall apart without Guts and Casca having to go through even more pain and suffering. Guts' biggest enemy isn't Griffith, it's his rage and thirst for vengeance. Sating the dog has never been presented as a good thing in this series even if it's gotten him and his friends out of binds.

Griffith already self destructed once, he can do it again.
I think Griffith's kingdom, if it is to be undone, will be undone by power greater than him. The king was able to defeat Griffith. Its possible that Godhand can undo Griffith. The question is what is the Godhand's agenda now that the realms are merged?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kinda think that Griffith's whole deal will be undone by his own lack of interest. He's got his castle on the hill. The only thing keeping him going at this point is inertia/destiny. He may even end up going for suicide-by-Guts at some point because he's fulfilled what amounts to his personal desire, so in time he might be more interested in shutting his higher caller down in a Guts-esque show of individual will in the face of the raging torrents of causality

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

I just want more gaiseric backstory

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

OnimaruXLR posted:

I kinda think that Griffith's whole deal will be undone by his own lack of interest. He's got his castle on the hill. The only thing keeping him going at this point is inertia/destiny. He may even end up going for suicide-by-Guts at some point because he's fulfilled what amounts to his personal desire, so in time he might be more interested in shutting his higher caller down in a Guts-esque show of individual will in the face of the raging torrents of causality

It would be much more poetic for him to be undone by his own ambition a second time.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The whole Fantasia thing is caused by the World Tree spreading throughout the realms and merging them. Clearly the best solution to undoing everything is to chop that tree down, and luckily we know someone who would make an excellent lumberjack.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mraagvpeine posted:

The whole Fantasia thing is caused by the World Tree spreading throughout the realms and merging them. Clearly the best solution to undoing everything is to chop that tree down, and luckily we know someone who would make an excellent lumberjack.

Yeah, motherfucking GREY KNIGHT BAZUSO

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rodyle posted:

Also re: someone's earlier comments about demonic motives... I don't think Griffith actually has any, strictly speaking. METHODS for loving sure, but his motives are the same as ever: get paid, get castle, get kingdom, get empire. The other 4 are enjoying their weird post-Fantasia demon parties, but Griffith is just doing what he wanted to do from the get go.

The only demonic motive is "do what thou wilt". The only thing becoming Femto changed is getting grand cosmic power and removing any empathy in the way.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

God, the way Charlotte clapped like a giddy child after everything Griffith deigned to say

There is absolutely no way she won't, at least, be driven mad by what's inevitably about to come :(

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I just realized how likely it is that Griffith is gonna end up paralleling the Slug Baron, with Charlotte as his Theresia.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

The only demonic motive is "do what thou wilt". The only thing becoming Femto changed is getting grand cosmic power and removing any empathy in the way.

I do not take the IoE into account. but yes like I said I don't think GRIFFITH'S goals have changed in any way. Hell, I would similarly say Slann, Ubik, and Conrad are probably just similarly indulging themselves.

I am far less convinced that void doesn't have any plans beyond I guess maybe being a giant brain now.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I just realized how likely it is that Griffith is gonna end up paralleling the Slug Baron, with Charlotte as his Theresia.

Lol Griffith dgaf about Charlotte.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Yeah Griffith has never and still doesn't give a crap about Charlotte.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Rodyle posted:

Also re: someone's earlier comments about demonic motives... I don't think Griffith actually has any, strictly speaking. METHODS for loving sure, but his motives are the same as ever: get paid, get castle, get kingdom, get empire.
I actually felt like I was reading a chapter from Golden Age, the only difference being that Griffith spoke and this time they listened. Even in GA they were over-awed by his presence, sitting around trying to rule (the people, the army, their lands) and finding that Griffith had better ideas. The minister is a bit more aware, but the others are stuck within the falcon's gaze.

Still pondering the last few panels in parallel to how Griffith left Charlotte after Guts left him. He jumped from the window and was ensnared. If the moon child again appears to Guts and Casca, what's going to happen now that Casca can speak (presumably)? Has Griffith gone moon child after Falconia? What if time dilation or elf magic keeps him as a moon child? He 'disappears' from Falconia and the apostles come looking for him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Has Griffith gone moon child after Falconia? What if time dilation or elf magic keeps him as a moon child? He 'disappears' from Falconia and the apostles come looking for him.

The Moonlight Boy keeping Griffith's body for awhile would be fantastic and seeing Guts and Casca plunged suddenly into parenthood would be amazing. I hadn't thought of it, but now I'm hoping this is the way things go. It just sets up so many possibilities.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is the Moonlight Boy supposed to be like Jesus, where a god impregnated a woman with "himself," and then the child is an autonomous avatar of the god?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's been unclear at times whether the boy is the child reborn and maintaining autonomy or if Griff just sometime uses it to watch the crew out of some fixation even he doesn't understand, but this seemingly confirms it's not voluntary on the latter's part and is in fact the kid doing what it wants.

Egg guy really screwed Griff over good when he picked up that baby.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get the feeling Griffith genuinely wants to be the world savior with no real agenda other than that. He wants to build a long lasting perfect worldwide simcity utopia, for his ego. Like this is already his endgame and he's setting up the ultimate hero narrative, one that no single person can have, one that only someone with Divine powers like him could weave because it's otherworldly, or as said in this chapter, a fantasy.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
If the whole mortal world weren't in danger specifically because of him, Griffith would actually be the hero he wants to be. Now I'm curious whether in the impossible scenario where Griffith turns down the Godhand - do the Kushan still invade and crush Midland? In this scenario do Guts and Casca die to the monstrous Kushan forces?

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Elentor posted:

I get the feeling Griffith genuinely wants to be the world savior with no real agenda other than that. He wants to build a long lasting perfect worldwide simcity utopia, for his ego. Like this is already his endgame and he's setting up the ultimate hero narrative, one that no single person can have, one that only someone with Divine powers like him could weave because it's otherworldly, or as said in this chapter, a fantasy.

Everyone on the council except Foss seems to agree with you. I don't think that's going to go well for them.

Or well, maybe he does genuinely want to be the savior, but there are certain... sacrifices he must make to get there.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Gaiseric's kingdom was destroyed and it was the First Empire. I possible Griffith and the Second Empire falls.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I think lezard valeth had it right:

lezard_valeth posted:

[spoiler] Griffith is such a nerd. He set the whole world in fire just so that he could establish his own fire department to play the hero and have everyone suck his dick

So yeah, he "does" want to play the role of a benevolent ruler, but that necessitates making the entire world 100x worse so when he saves a small proportion of people, it's more dramatic.

Now, I know this doesn't matter, and Miura is not thinking about this, and I'm overthinking, but I do wonder what would happen if his liberation armies reached the border of the personal demesnes of the other Godhand. Like, if after weeks of carving a swathe through some giants or trolls, and then they reach the Bosch Tree, or Brain Acres, or Writing Tumescent Fuckcanyon (the natural land boundary of the Whore-Principality of Uterus Sea) and Griffith's like "Okay everything looks cool here, let's turn around," to the bafflement of all his mortal troops.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
What I do wonder is what explanation Griffith gave to everyone about the Third Impact. In everyone's eyes, they were fighting a giant chtulhu tree and then Griffith flew off to kill said tree and when he returned the world had turned to crap.

I mean at least SOMEONE should have accused him of making things much worse...

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

The REALLY interesting part is, what are the characters going to do who DO know something's up, but have no meaningful power to do anything about it?

There are several characters who might have a hunch that Griffith is pulling a trick here. Sonja presumably, but she's obviously far too infatuated with him. And there's various mages who have a good idea what Griffith did, but before apostles and the God Hand itself, even their magic is nothing - like the Kushan summoner. But what would normal, non-badass mortals do if they knew the truth? Foss, of all people, acknowledged how they're basically chasing an illusion - Griffith succeeds in his role due to divine favor and bullshitting on a scale rarely seen in sane people.

My guess is, if "normal" people ever find out, they're likely just going to keep on trucking. I mean, what could revenge on Griffith possibly get them? The world is hosed, Falconia is the last safe haven of humanity. If the smarter guys on the council ever figure out what Griffith did, they'll likely grit their teeth and continue.

Unless Guts & Co. are around by then...? Who knows!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Don't forget that the ruins that we've seen of Gaiseric's empire had a bunch of rotting skulls with Brands on them. There's a strong implication that Gaiseric or the priest sacrificed that empire for something.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Don't forget that the ruins that we've seen of Gaiseric's empire had a bunch of rotting skulls with Brands on them. There's a strong implication that Gaiseric or the priest sacrificed that empire for something.

It would be funny as hell if Void, who's heavily implied to be that priest, eventually wants to repeat his own sacrifice that made him a God Hand on an even larger scale: by sacrificing the second great empire of mankind

And Griffith does not know that

I would never stop laughing

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This confirms I’ve been right about the moonlight kid thing since volume 28 where we could see a tiny outline of Zodds horn in one panel.

Loved how Griffiths politics makes it even more of a problem if he gets defeated.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Crabtree posted:

I think Void just wants to continually perpetuate humanity's suffering. Letting them have hope by Griffith's reforms and shining kingdom before he blows it all down again only seems to feed into what the Idea of Evil wants/makes it stronger? To make the darkness so overwhelming there can be no more hope/light. This might contrast with the arc that Guts is going through where getting revenge and giving in to his inner demons isn't really the answer versus working through his traumas and healing from it. Skull Knight/Gaiseric has been hellbent on revenge for so long that it is sustaining him as he's a literal timeless skeleton, unable to rest.

Although, who knows what would come next if humanity were to go extinct - unless there's an end goal where something manifests as a result.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I think what Griffith is doing is basically just going through the motions. He has the power, finally, to be King of Midland, and as leader of the Band of the Hawk/Falcon/Bird of Prey he probably had dreams of being a kind and just king who wanted things to go well for everyone and eliminate levels of social inequality and all that. So that's what he's doing. He's executing the last remnants of his human dreams.

The problem is that he's... still a member of the God Hand, probably. He's still Femto, and probably above those matters, consciously. He likely doesn't actually care anymore. It's just something for him to do. I can guarantee that at some point, if he's not stopped before he's done, he'll probably just get bored of trying to enrich the world and find it more satisfying to start making it worse, instead, like all of the other God Hand do.

Griffith starts and ends as someone hyper-competent but loses his way and fucks up at the last minute, constantly. Book end.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Griffith had a noble goal to work towards but it slipped away from him until all he could do was throw in with the God Hand and cheat his way to the top and thus his melancholy and going through of motions. A life time goal achieved in a moment.

He cheated not only the Band of the Hawk, but himself. He didn't grow. He didn't improve. He took a shortcut and gained nothing. He experienced a hollow victory. Nothing was risked and nothing was gained. It's sad that he does't know the difference.

Still, an army of orphans is pretty dope.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Public policy Griffith is good. Griffiths character collapsed from complex to simple when he crossed the moral horizon and became a member of the godhsnd. This is complicating his character again.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rodyle posted:

Lol Griffith dgaf about Charlotte.

lezard_valeth posted:

Yeah Griffith has never and still doesn't give a crap about Charlotte.

Exactly. I said parallel, not recreate.

Griffith will get his rear end handed to him and end up in a situation where he's gotta sacrifice someone else to heal, with Charlotte being the only valid candidate. And unlike Slug Baron with Theresia, he'll happily throw her into Hell to get more stronk.

There's two ways I can see it going from there: they complete the parallel by having Guts do something to stop this, ending with Charlotte as a totally broken wreck trying to kill herself just like Theresia, or it just straight up works as advertised, Griffith gets to go "THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM", and it sets up the actual final battle between the heroes and whatever-the-gently caress-he-becomes (Femto's already creepy-looking enough, I can't even imagine what the gently caress Double Femto would look like).

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 2, 2019

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Exactly. I said parallel, not recreate.

Griffith will get his rear end handed to him and end up in a situation where he's gotta sacrifice someone else to heal, with Charlotte being the only valid candidate. And unlike Slug Baron with Theresia, he'll happily throw her into Hell to get more stronk.

There's two ways I can see it going from there: they complete the parallel by having Guts do something to stop this, ending with Charlotte as a totally broken wreck trying to kill herself just like Theresia, or it just straight up works as advertised, Griffith gets to go "THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM", and it sets up the actual final battle between the heroes and whatever-the-gently caress-he-becomes (Femto's already creepy-looking enough, I can't even imagine what the gently caress Double Femto would look like).

I pictured it going more like Charlotte is present when they give him that option and she offers herself gladly and then Griffith is the one who goes idaf about you.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
If part of Void's plan is to recreate the sacrifice of the first empire, Griffith will likely have to sacrifice his.

There's a constant tension in Griffith's character between caring about the group he leads because of what they represent to him and caring about the actual people themselves. Redemption for Griffith would be sacrificing himself for others, wishing only for their well-being.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 2, 2019

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hodgepodge posted:

If part of Void's plan is to recreate the sacrifice of the first empire, Griffith will likely have to sacrifice his.

There's a constant tension in Griffith's character between caring about the group he leads because of what they represent to him and caring about the actual people themselves. Redemption for Griffith would be sacrificing himself for others, wishing only for their well-being.

I feel like that tension pretty much got resolved with the Eclipse. He cares about the former, and absolutely not the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

No, he does care about the latter, just LESS. A sacrifice you don't care about isn't valid for Ascension.