Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Spiderfist Island posted:

Does anyone know if there’s a quick/ easy way to play as a country with Cybelene religion as its majority state religion? Cappadocia seems to be the best tag for this but I don’t know how to get the ruling class / government to be majority Cybelene or Anatolian in culture.

I haven’t found a way to release and play as a different nation or to change your culture outside that one Egyptian event, so I’m not sure if it can be done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

New dev diary available detailing balance changes not coming in the next patch, but the patch after that (to be released in a couple months): https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/imperator-development-diary-29th-april-2019.1172430/

Huh. I dunno how to feel about this one. This makes excursions into enemy territory far riskier.

Wait, so the finesse rating currently does nothing? Then what determines how quickly pops are converted/promoted/assimilated by provincial policies?

Finesse.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Megalopolis is really easy if you can get to the point where you unlock the Raid button on fleets of 10 or more, just trawl the coast of the Mediterranean hoovering up slaves until you hit 80. You'll generate a ton of unrest in the capital but since you're Greek you should be swimming in olives to make them happier and you can save power to convert/assimilate/promote or build granaries to chill them out. What will really get you is the explosive aggressive expansion, at around 40 or 50 you'll have everyone hating your guts. It's much safer to do it the natural way (also slaves, but from sieges) but this works faster.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Honestly I feel like a lot of the issues I have encountered could have been caught by a larger beta test? There’s certain things that I see everyone has said that make me curious how they didn’t pop up.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Playing as Rome and got real sick of Phrygia and Egypt being allied and also protecting Macedon so I did was what was only natural. Built a giant navy and blocked the strait crossing and proceeded to absolutely trash their armies as I slowly let them trickle across into my waiting armies. I lost about 10k men they lost about 200k and I lost not a single battle.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

cheesetriangles posted:

Playing as Rome and got real sick of Phrygia and Egypt being allied and also protecting Macedon so I did was what was only natural. Built a giant navy and blocked the strait crossing and proceeded to absolutely trash their armies as I slowly let them trickle across into my waiting armies. I lost about 10k men they lost about 200k and I lost not a single battle.

Roma Invicta

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Huh. I dunno how to feel about this one. This makes excursions into enemy territory far riskier.

Yeah I kind of don't like that either.

I *already* thought it was some bullshit that while I could purposely bait a larger army into attacking my smaller but superior quality one, inflict 2 to 1 losses on them, retreat, repeat, etc., it wrecks my general's popularity because it just counts as defeat after defeat (especially when there is another fresh legion coming down the road to now stomp on the exhausted and brutalized enemy army).

That's not a string of defeats, that's a dude using maneuver properly. Certain traits/stats should affect their ability to do an organized retreat etc. It shouldn't just be a straight 50% strength hit across the board. Maybe if you try it with some scrub idiot yeah you'll get your force wiped. If you do the same with a genius tactician you should be able to use it to great effect.

There was one battle where I lost maybe 500-1000 men and did 3500 casualties on the other one, but because I retreated early before the numbers could do me in that was a 'massive defeat' for my guy. It's kind of just... dumb to do that. Voluntary retreat / harassment is absolutely a valid tactic. Harassment of a larger army with a bunch of skirmishers / light cavalry was absolutely a Thing that happened.

There should be more micro in what the player can do tactically versus just "pick a strat hope it's good rock-paper-scissors wise." "Envelopment" should mean "I put this on my numerically huge army and if I can bait a smaller foe into the trap then they are entirely eliminated." There should be more feedback in the battle screen - you are losing against a larger foe trying to envelop you and you *don't* retreat then after a certain point you are successfully enveloped and will lose your army to a man. The player should be able to make more command level decisions like that if they are zoomed in to the battle, versus just setting a tactic when you create the army and forgetting about it.

The 'deception' tactic should be put on light cav / infantry to bait and harass better. Idk if that's how it works now (or is intended to be) but it's really just rock-paper-scissors match percentages boringness at the moment.

The usefulness of 'Bottleneck' should more or less depend entirely on terrain, which it doesn't seem to? IE a defending army in a mountain pass set on bottleneck should be a hard nut to crack, even if outnumbered. Presumably you'd also want to make something like "envelopment" useless for the attacker in that situation - can't flank around them if there's no 'around' to go to.

If you're not about that then you can let your generals handle it and set tactics dynamically based on what their judgement is (affected by their military scores - again a scrub general might just leave it on shock tactics 90% of the time).

The tactics system is a good thought but if it is just "set some % bonuses based on army comp" then it is boring and kind of another fiddly system that just punishes people if they don't pay attention to it.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 29, 2019

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Fabius, a historical figure well noted for his extreme popularity.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zurakara posted:

Fabius, a historical figure well noted for his extreme popularity.

Well... yeah initially he was thought cowardly and whatnot but

quote:

Shortly after Fabius had laid down his dictatorship, Gaius Terentius Varro and Ameilus Paullus were elected as consuls. They rallied the people through the assemblies, and won their support for his plan to abandon Fabius' strategy, and engage Hannibal directly.

When word reached Rome of the disastrous Roman defeat under Varro and Paullus at the Battle of Cannae in 216 BC, the Senate and the People of Rome turned to Fabius for guidance. They had believed his strategy to be flawed before, but now they thought him to be as wise as the gods.

Although he did not again hold the office of dictator - and indeed, it was granted to others over him - he might as well have been one unofficially at this time, because whatever measures he proposed were immediately adopted with little or no further debate.

Cunctator became an honorific title, and his delaying tactic was followed in Italy for the rest of the war.

Later, he became a legendary figure and the model of a tough, courageous Roman, and was bestowed the honorific title, "The Shield of Rome" (similar to Marcus Claudius Marcellus being named the "Sword of Rome"). According to Ennius, unus homo nobis cunctando restituit rem – "one man, by delaying, restored the state to us."

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 29, 2019

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Honestly I feel like a lot of the issues I have encountered could have been caught by a larger beta test? There’s certain things that I see everyone has said that make me curious how they didn’t pop up.
Generally it's not a matter of catching issues, it's the time it takes to fix them and the fact that the release date was set months ago.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I feel like attrition could be a little less brutal, especially with the manpower situation being as dire as it is.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

You should have kept this in the oven longer Johan. 1.1 should have been the release version

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

I'm guessing he is well aware and also had little choice in the matter.

Mantees
Oct 24, 2008
Guys, am I correct with thinking that tribesmen should be promoted asap as they are almost useless?

At least when I play as a Republic

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TorakFade posted:

Thanks. Well I think I'm going for Dan Carlin's one, it's kinda cheap and it seems like the guy is fun to listen to, which is ideal since I want to listen to a podcast to alleviate boredom, not compound it :v:

About character interactions, I regularly forget about them except when I need to smear someone's rep or make friends with a leader, which doesn't happen all that often. I also didn't even know you could arrange marriages until very recently

Dan Carlin has ten or so free episodes up on Spotify, which doesn't sound like much but is a TON of content (I think the WW1 series alone is something like 15-16 hours) and then has a bunch more episodes on his website you have to buy. IMO they're pretty darn worth it, and if it's Roman History you're looking for specifically he has two series on his website called "Death Throes of the Republic" and "Punic Nightmares" that cover the rise of Sulla and the Second Punic Wars. Carlin has a tendency to get some details wrong but he's engaging and broadly paints an accurate enough picture of events, while also doing a very good job of bringing in the human element of of history vs a dry statement of facts.

The History of Rome is definitely far drier, but Duncan finds his footing part way into it and while he's never super engaging in the way Carlin is, he comes off as far less stiff. If you want to give him another shot, he's doing another podcast these days called Revolutions that is trying to chart the history of what we conceive of modern social revolution, and has covered a staggering amount history.

If you want more recommendations check out the Historical Podcast Thread in RGD.

Anyway, sorry for the derail. :v:

On the actual topic of Imperator: are my outlying provinces ever supposed to be making me decent money? My capital province and a couple around it I micro-managed the pops in are churning out decent money, but every where else is sitting on 0.10-0.20 gold per city.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Somehow Egypt went from about 50 cohorts to 330 cohorts on only 3000 pops 170k max manpower. I suspect something funky with a series of revolts they had because it doesn't make any sense for them to have that many.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah I kind of don't like that either.

I *already* thought it was some bullshit that while I could purposely bait a larger army into attacking my smaller but superior quality one, inflict 2 to 1 losses on them, retreat, repeat, etc., it wrecks my general's popularity because it just counts as defeat after defeat (especially when there is another fresh legion coming down the road to now stomp on the exhausted and brutalized enemy army).

That's not a string of defeats, that's a dude using maneuver properly. Certain traits/stats should affect their ability to do an organized retreat etc. It shouldn't just be a straight 50% strength hit across the board. Maybe if you try it with some scrub idiot yeah you'll get your force wiped. If you do the same with a genius tactician you should be able to use it to great effect.

There was one battle where I lost maybe 500-1000 men and did 3500 casualties on the other one, but because I retreated early before the numbers could do me in that was a 'massive defeat' for my guy. It's kind of just... dumb to do that. Voluntary retreat / harassment is absolutely a valid tactic. Harassment of a larger army with a bunch of skirmishers / light cavalry was absolutely a Thing that happened.

There should be more micro in what the player can do tactically versus just "pick a strat hope it's good rock-paper-scissors wise." "Envelopment" should mean "I put this on my numerically huge army and if I can bait a smaller foe into the trap then they are entirely eliminated." There should be more feedback in the battle screen - you are losing against a larger foe trying to envelop you and you *don't* retreat then after a certain point you are successfully enveloped and will lose your army to a man. The player should be able to make more command level decisions like that if they are zoomed in to the battle, versus just setting a tactic when you create the army and forgetting about it.

The 'deception' tactic should be put on light cav / infantry to bait and harass better. Idk if that's how it works now (or is intended to be) but it's really just rock-paper-scissors match percentages boringness at the moment.

The usefulness of 'Bottleneck' should more or less depend entirely on terrain, which it doesn't seem to? IE a defending army in a mountain pass set on bottleneck should be a hard nut to crack, even if outnumbered. Presumably you'd also want to make something like "envelopment" useless for the attacker in that situation - can't flank around them if there's no 'around' to go to.

If you're not about that then you can let your generals handle it and set tactics dynamically based on what their judgement is (affected by their military scores - again a scrub general might just leave it on shock tactics 90% of the time).

The tactics system is a good thought but if it is just "set some % bonuses based on army comp" then it is boring and kind of another fiddly system that just punishes people if they don't pay attention to it.

They're talking about the "shattered retreat function" which instantly makes you army "black flagged" and moves it back towards your territory, sounds like you're talking about ordered retreats which this change won't impact at all?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Mantees posted:

Guys, am I correct with thinking that tribesmen should be promoted asap as they are almost useless?

At least when I play as a Republic

I'm trying to figure this out as well. I think they add base tax at half the rate of slaves and manpower at half the rate of freemen. I actually think freemen aren't useful enough right now except to drive fodder for soldiers.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sydin posted:

Dan Carlin :words:

Thanks, that's really useful :)

I never had manpower issues the whole game as Rome, besides maybe the first couple of wars... But then Rome gets huuuuge within a few decades. Really, I never built a training camp beside the first 8 or so, and just converted tribesman to Freeman as I went and now have 2.5 million manpower :stare:

I was in a hellwar with Iberian tribes recently, they killed way more of my men than I killed theirs, and yet I am still over 2 million :hist101:

Also, late game when you inevitably mash tons of different armies in one megabattle, what decides which general / tactic gets used?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Sydin posted:

Dan Carlin has ten or so free episodes up on Spotify, which doesn't sound like much but is a TON of content (I think the WW1 series alone is something like 15-16 hours) and then has a bunch more episodes on his website you have to buy. IMO they're pretty darn worth it, and if it's Roman History you're looking for specifically he has two series on his website called "Death Throes of the Republic" and "Punic Nightmares" that cover the rise of Sulla and the Second Punic Wars. Carlin has a tendency to get some details wrong but he's engaging and broadly paints an accurate enough picture of events, while also doing a very good job of bringing in the human element of of history vs a dry statement of facts.

Seconding this, and also pointing out that his Celtic Holocaust (Gallic wars) and King of Kings (Achaemenid empire up to Alexander) series are also relevant to the time period covered by Imperator.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Is this worth getting?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Mugsbaloney posted:

Is this worth getting?

No. Might be in a few months, but definitely not now.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Mugsbaloney posted:

Is this worth getting?

Yes. It's certainly fun already.

Granted, it's a bit of an early access release, but you know they will keep patching and improving it.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So how the heck do you even play migratory tribes?

I tried to do anything at all but I just constantly lose 200+ manpower per month because attrition in my own province even though I have less units than the limit so I run out instantly and the only ones that have any people left are my chieftains and they're losing loyalty at a rate of like 0.50+ per month because they have so many loyal troops so I get a civil war in no time at all.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The kind of person who loves these games so much that they'd enjoy this release state already own the game. Everyone else should wait for the Summer update at a minimum.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

Aaaaagh I can't decide

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mugsbaloney posted:

Aaaaagh I can't decide

It has pretty serious performance problems (for me and many others at least), so at least wait until next week for the 1.0.1 patch and see if that fixes it, and hopefully something else too.

Otherwise it's barebones but enjoyable. If you played Stellaris at release, imo this is better, warts and all... for 35€ (got it on sale) it's fine, and God knows I'll get value I already got value out of this game overall at less than 1€/hour, and that's going to improve with patches and even DLC :v:

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 29, 2019

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mugsbaloney posted:

Aaaaagh I can't decide

I guarantee that 100% of people who have ever posted this in a games thread ended up buying the same day.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

The kind of person who loves these games so much that they'd enjoy this release state already own the game. Everyone else should wait for the Summer update at a minimum.

I often buy early access games, I don't mind that a game is not 100% release state if it's already fun and you know they'll keep improving it. I can understand waiting for a sales action, but if you're planning on buying it full price at the next patch (release state), why not buy already? Best case you already enjoy it, worst case you wait a few months.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Mugsbaloney posted:

Aaaaagh I can't decide

Bare minimum wait until June when 1.1 is out.

But you already purchased didn't you

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mugsbaloney posted:

Aaaaagh I can't decide

The game is an unfinished disaster right now but if you like paradox sandbox GS games then you're still going to wring some enjoyment out of it. I hate it but I already have 10 hours in it, which is probably where a lot of people in this thread are right now.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mugsbaloney posted:

Is this worth getting?

I kind of like it, though as others said it can be pretty shallow at times. Having said that, I already have almost 30 hours in it after playing one game, which is already more than I usually get on non-Paradox games, so maybe it's worth it if you're looking at it that way??

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

I'll come back in a few months then- gonna stick with exploring the new stellar is update for now.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Walh Hara posted:

I often buy early access games, I don't mind that a game is not 100% release state if it's already fun and you know they'll keep improving it. I can understand waiting for a sales action, but if you're planning on buying it full price at the next patch (release state), why not buy already? Best case you already enjoy it, worst case you wait a few months.

This is exactly why I preordered, I knew that I would want to play the game earlier than the first decent sale so I might as well get in on day 1

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Somehow Egypt went from about 50 cohorts to 330 cohorts on only 3000 pops 170k max manpower. I suspect something funky with a series of revolts they had because it doesn't make any sense for them to have that many.

Definitely something going on here because I was just about to invade 4 city Knossos, who I then found out had 60k troops.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

cheesetriangles posted:

The AI seems to switch over to mercs exclusively after manpower is depleted which might be it

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

I see the game often make the distinction between wrong culture happiness and wrong cultural group happiness. Is "wrong culture" the more general one, since it covers both other Latin cultures and non-Latin cultures (if you are playing Rome)? This is what I would think, but then it makes certain things weird from a balance perspective (ie: why would you take the Lex Plautia Papiria over the Lex Aetilia Senita).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fellblade posted:

Definitely something going on here because I was just about to invade 4 city Knossos, who I then found out had 60k troops.

Sometimes the troop counts are just real funny. Like as Rome I went after one of the tiny, 2-city powers inside the boot. They had 38 cohorts, and they had had that amount raised forever. They had almost no morale though. I'm guessing the AI just sometimes sees "army costing too much, need to reduce", and instead of sensibly disbanding some troops, it just puts it's giant unsustainable stack on low maintenance so their morale tanks and they aren't effective anyway. As for the manpower, I don't know how much two little cities should have but it seems like a lot. May just be standard AI cheats though.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RabidWeasel posted:

They're talking about the "shattered retreat function" which instantly makes you army "black flagged" and moves it back towards your territory, sounds like you're talking about ordered retreats which this change won't impact at all?

Well, gently caress me lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

I see the game often make the distinction between wrong culture happiness and wrong cultural group happiness. Is "wrong culture" the more general one, since it covers both other Latin cultures and non-Latin cultures (if you are playing Rome)? This is what I would think, but then it makes certain things weird from a balance perspective (ie: why would you take the Lex Plautia Papiria over the Lex Aetilia Senita).

It's mega confusing but wrong culture means that they're part of your culture group but not your primary culture and wrong culture group means what it sounds like.