Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

So after ten years of SERO and holding out through the whole EPRP shitpile, it looks like SWAC is finally what's gonna get me to change plans. That hotspot plus the price cut is too tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I noticed that the regular unlimited plans changed now too so Premium is only $10 higher than Plus. It shows Premium as only streaming in "HD" (up to 1080p) so it looks like Premium has the stream throttling now. Same would apply to the new SWAC plan versions.

Either way they need to hire a damned proofreader; this amount of errors in plan information coming out of such a large company is ridiculous.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Finally pulled the trigger. There was also a separate link to a SERO to SWAC conversion form on the Slickdeals page. Will see how it goes I guess.

Main reason for me really is the need for hotspot which has always required root, and with that out, the only real time I will need it for now will be when I backup with Titanium Backup between phone reinstalls, (Such as when Android Q drops probably) or going between phones since its a crap shoot what apps back up to the cloud vs ones that don't.

I figure also that all SERO will eventually get pushed over to this to simplify things in the long run for Sprint.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't even see the need for Titanium anymore either, really. I went from Pixel 1 to Pixel 3, and then to another Pixel when that one had an issue and the automatic transfer took care of everything nice and easy.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well that was quick. Got a response that the changes have been made but will take effect on 5/4. I picked the Premium plan and it looks like it is automatically $40 now instead of $50 with what looks like all the perks as before except the Uber credits which don't appear anywhere in the details of the e-mail at all.

The HD vs Full HD stuff is written correctly. And since I don't really care about the Uber credits at all, getting $10 less a month savings with all the other perks like Amazon Prime (instead of paying annually) Hotspot, and hell I may give Tidal a shot to see how HiFi sounds. Already use the crap out of Hulu so that's not new but very nice to have.

Overall I guess we will see how this goes. Odd they seemed to change the Premium price down at all. The non SWAC pricing is what $80 for the same thing? Either they really want to entice Employees to bring people on, Incentive all the old SERO plans to finally cut over, or the T-Mobile merger is going worse than we hope.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well that was quick. Got a response that the changes have been made but will take effect on 5/4. I picked the Premium plan and it looks like it is automatically $40 now instead of $50 with what looks like all the perks as before except the Uber credits which don't appear anywhere in the details of the e-mail at all.

The HD vs Full HD stuff is written correctly. And since I don't really care about the Uber credits at all, getting $10 less a month savings with all the other perks like Amazon Prime (instead of paying annually) Hotspot, and hell I may give Tidal a shot to see how HiFi sounds. Already use the crap out of Hulu so that's not new but very nice to have.

Overall I guess we will see how this goes. Odd they seemed to change the Premium price down at all. The non SWAC pricing is what $80 for the same thing? Either they really want to entice Employees to bring people on, Incentive all the old SERO plans to finally cut over, or the T-Mobile merger is going worse than we hope.

:getin:

The price drop is probably to make up for the lack of Uber. I suspect they'll also add stream throttling to the Premium account if they haven't already.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I went with the $50 plan because I figured I'd use $20 in Uber per month. Bit disappointing that it is two $10 credits that half to be used separately, but they also texted me a half off code so we'll see. Does the $40 plan include Amazon?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

I went with the $50 plan because I figured I'd use $20 in Uber per month. Bit disappointing that it is two $10 credits that half to be used separately, but they also texted me a half off code so we'll see. Does the $40 plan include Amazon?

Yep.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Medullah posted:

Does the $40 plan include Amazon?

Yeah. $40 plan is the "premium" plan and it includes Amazon Prime.

I just submitted for the conversion myself. I'll be doing the $40 premium.

SWACCLUB

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My bill dropped 50 cents but now I save 120 a year for prime and I get a hotspot, as well as unlimited minutes (instead of 500). Roaming never worked for me anyway, so I can't see any drawbacks. I wish they would take 5$ off my HULU instead of saying nope (I already subscribe to adds free). Tidal is neat.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Does anyone want my $3 krispy kreme card? They dont have them here anymore.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cage posted:

Does anyone want my $3 krispy kreme card? They dont have them here anymore.

Oh hey that Sprint Reward is actually working now! I was getting bummed out that they had just teased us with it.

If you don't want it, I'd happily combine it with my reward and buy a discounted dozen as a gift for a not-Sprint-having family member who likes Krispy Kreme!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I also have one I can pm to someone.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

astral posted:

Oh hey that Sprint Reward is actually working now! I was getting bummed out that they had just teased us with it.

If you don't want it, I'd happily combine it with my reward and buy a discounted dozen as a gift for a not-Sprint-having family member who likes Krispy Kreme!
PM sent.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

SWAC does feel like the early SERO days when it was first opened up to pretty much everyone. For $30 it was a killer deal to get unlimited everything but minutes compared to the garbo plan most of us were on before then since things like Texting and Data were addons to dumbphone plans and 3G was the new hotness.

Then the changes for Smartphones and then 4G that had to kick the plan up in cost which while irritating, at the time in a small way it was justified since data usage was just exploding at that time.

Now to get sooo much more it seems, for in reality a really good deal, is almost too good to be true. Competition is great but I really wonder how the hell Sprint can afford this sort of offering, even to normal users with the $60-80 plans, when they were cutting cost by removing the personal trash cans at their corporate offices and such.

All I can hope is that the idiots that are trying to block the merger better not screw this up. The combined network of T-Mobile + Sprint I can imaging only to be a good thing in the long run, and finally the death of CDMA once and for all hopefully.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I'm too lazy to PM. First come first serve.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Free pzone at Pizza Hut seems to be this week’s reward.

Must be ordered by apr 28.

astral fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Apr 22, 2019

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

astral posted:

Free pzone at Pizza Hut seems to be this week’s reward.

Must be ordered by apr 28.
Lmao. I dont need this but I will take it. Ordered for my way home from work. Thanks!

Cage fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Apr 22, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How is Sprint? Is it worth the 30-40 a month savings over Verizon?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Most likely depends on your area.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Waltzing Along posted:

Depending. I've heard it's really good in cities, but I live in a more rural area and travel regularly. It's passable for calls and texts, but I'm constantly getting terrible data speeds. My friends joke that I play Pokemon go with a handicap and there's a couple gyms in town that we have to WiFi off of their phones for me to raid.

I got better reception in China than in most of the US even away from any cities.

I'd talk to people in your town and ask them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Sprint is great if you don't travel and have a good signal at home/work. As soon as you start traveling you start to see the limitations real quick.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Medullah posted:

Sprint is great if you don't travel and have a good signal at home/work. As soon as you start traveling you start to see the limitations real quick.

On the other hand, if you travel to Canada/Mexico, the roaming agreements are great and get you 5GB, 10GB or Unlimited LTE, depending on your plan. Note that there were reports of them throttling the speed down after ~10-14GB

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

International is the only reason I still have Sprint.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What can I expect to pay in taxes and fees in CA?

The online order thing has some small text that says "before all the extra fees we will throw at you." So the $83 which seems reasonable might be quite a bit more.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Waltzing Along posted:

What can I expect to pay in taxes and fees in CA?

The online order thing has some small text that says "before all the extra fees we will throw at you." So the $83 which seems reasonable might be quite a bit more.

I'm in CA and the taxes and fees add ~8% to my bill.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

McPhearson posted:

I'm in CA and the taxes and fees add ~8% to my bill.

Cool, thanks.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
My bill is $50 and with tax/fees, it's 56.05.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

SWAC does feel like the early SERO days when it was first opened up to pretty much everyone. For $30 it was a killer deal to get unlimited everything but minutes compared to the garbo plan most of us were on before then since things like Texting and Data were addons to dumbphone plans and 3G was the new hotness.

Then the changes for Smartphones and then 4G that had to kick the plan up in cost which while irritating, at the time in a small way it was justified since data usage was just exploding at that time.

Now to get sooo much more it seems, for in reality a really good deal, is almost too good to be true. Competition is great but I really wonder how the hell Sprint can afford this sort of offering, even to normal users with the $60-80 plans, when they were cutting cost by removing the personal trash cans at their corporate offices and such.

All I can hope is that the idiots that are trying to block the merger better not screw this up. The combined network of T-Mobile + Sprint I can imaging only to be a good thing in the long run, and finally the death of CDMA once and for all hopefully.

Sprint can’t afford the offering. It’s just the only way to compete. This quarter was the first quarter in 11 loving years that they were profitable:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2018/05/02/sprint-2017-fiscal-year-earnings-report.html

The merger is likely a bad idea for consumers, mostly in it will raise pricings and not help competition. T-Mobile already has raised prices from 2-3 years ago, they’ll make some marketing splashes when the merger first goes through, and then slowly raise prices in a year or two like they did with their first “uncarrier” stuff.

Not necessarily slagging T-Mobile, I’m just saying sprint as a competitor keeps them more in check. And Sprints network is a goddamn mess, good luck integrating that with T-Mobile.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint can’t afford the offering. It’s just the only way to compete. This quarter was the first quarter in 11 loving years that they were profitable:

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2018/05/02/sprint-2017-fiscal-year-earnings-report.html

That reads like some serious hollywood accounting there - discounting all the money they didn't pay in taxes as "not profit."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I decided to give Sprint a try as the price was right. I'm starting to wonder, though.

Is it normal for things to seem delayed? For instance, I will click a weblink then wait a while before anything happens. It's almost like the server got my request and is deciding what to do before actually sending the data over. This is with enough bars that I shouldn't see slow downs.

It's not the phone because on wifi it works perfectly.

I just sent a couple messages to someone on LINE and those were heavily delayed, as well. With 4 bars, if that matters.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

There's a reason for this thread title.

Try installing the speed test app and seeing what speeds your getting over cellular. Depending on where I am my speeds differ wildly. At my apartment I'll have full bars but be lucky to get more than 1 Mbps down. At my office I can easily get 7-8 Mbps, which is not great but much better than at home. The only reason I still use sprint is because it works well enough most of the time, and I also have a work phone on Verizon I can use whenever my Sprint service doesn't work.

McPhearson fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 2, 2019

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

McPhearson posted:

Try installing the speed test app and seeing what speeds your getting over cellular. Depending on where I am my speeds differ wildly. At my apartment I'll have full bars but be lucky to get more than 1 Mbps down. At my office I can easily get 7-8 Mbps, which is not great but much better than at home. The only reason I still use sprint is because it works well enough most of the time, and I also have a work phone on Verizon I can use whenever my Sprint service doesn't work.

I have it installed and was testing. I was getting 30+ mbps while this was all going on. But then I'd go over to the forums in chrome. Click a link...and wait. And wait. Or I open some other app and wait and wait and wait. Oh, and I had to wait for the speedtest app to find a server. Ping was around 30.

idgi.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

McPhearson posted:

That blows my mind, I regularly get between 40 and 100 Mbps on LTE with my phone. My only issue is that LTE is, in typical sprint fashion, only available in cities and along interstates.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I have it installed and was testing. I was getting 30+ mbps while this was all going on. But then I'd go over to the forums in chrome. Click a link...and wait. And wait. Or I open some other app and wait and wait and wait. Oh, and I had to wait for the speedtest app to find a server. Ping was around 30.

idgi.

What phone do you have? Sounds like something is acting wonky as it tries to route through Cellular.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

EdEddnEddy posted:

What phone do you have? Sounds like something is acting wonky as it tries to route through Cellular.

s10+

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ha, that might be part of the S10 LTE issues that were sort of an issue I saw when I was looking about for SWAC info.

Might want to swap it out for another and see if you have the same issue within the 14 day window.

Not sure if it is a Sprint or Hardware issue. Interesting for sure.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Welp, 5/4 my SERO plan is finally in the past. All Hail SWAC Premium!

So far so good. Phone updated overnight and woke up with the two text to switch Amazon Prime and activate Tidal.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm still in my window and haven't signed my contract yet. What is SWAC? How can I get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm still in my window and haven't signed my contract yet. What is SWAC? How can I get it?

You can't get it unless you're currently on SERO, or know an employee to give you a referral code