Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's good that Grookey has come along to claim the title of Grass Monkey That Funky Monkey from that loser Pansage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

better or worse?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Ugh, the monkeys are so bad. On top of the standard move issues stone evolutions have, they level significantly slower than pretty much anything else available in the early game, so even getting them to the fairly early point where they get a good STAB move and could evolve and coast on it for a little bit is a slog, and it ends up not being worth it at all when almost anything else of the same type can be subbed in and not drop off hard after the early-midgame.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shiny777 posted:

Ugh, the monkeys are so bad. On top of the standard move issues stone evolutions have, they level significantly slower than pretty much anything else available in the early game, so even getting them to the fairly early point where they get a good STAB move and could evolve and coast on it for a little bit is a slog, and it ends up not being worth it at all when almost anything else of the same type can be subbed in and not drop off hard after the early-midgame.

You forgot where every. single. route has 3 trainers, each of which have a monkey.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

FoolyCharged posted:

You forgot where every. single. route has 3 trainers, each of which have a monkey.

I don't see the problem, obviously the fifth generation of a franchise is the time to devote half the game to explaining the three type matchups that are already explained to you at the very start of every single game, over and over and over. How else will people understand the fire-water-grass triangle without an entire gym devoted to the concept and half the trainers in the game jamming monkeys into your face?

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Work Up is interesting. It's a decent buff move, but (at least in Essentials fangames) it fails if there's no opponent in front of you. No other stat boost fails if the opponent KOs themself.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Darth TNT posted:

It may be the best route 1 mon ever and yes I know Talonflame exists. But without his Hidden Ability, he's only average.

Talonflame is named TALONFLAME and that's an ability in and of itself.

Black Robe posted:

I still maintain you should use all three of the monkeys.

Life is suffering.

I'll do what I can to ensure Proper Monkey Screentime.

Toyotasomi no Miko posted:

I... Think you used the wrong TM here.

So I write updates in Google Drive, and I could not get it to stop doing that. I'll have to figure out how to disable the auto formatting, good catch.

DoubleNegative posted:

Work Up is interesting. It's a decent buff move, but (at least in Essentials fangames) it fails if there's no opponent in front of you. No other stat boost fails if the opponent KOs themself.

That's interesting. I don't think I've ever seen that happen in an official game, but it's a fairly rare case. It could be just an Essentials thing, but I'm not sure either way.

dotchan posted:

Elemental Monkeys plus Aipom.

See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, and Evil.

the detective Pikachu aipom is a hellspawn.

biosterous posted:

better or worse?

I mean, it makes ME feel better.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What about Patrat eyes combined with Kamina’s shades? :kamina:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I'll do what I can to ensure Proper Monkey Screentime.

So I write updates in Google Drive, and I could not get it to stop doing that. I'll have to figure out how to disable the auto formatting, good catch.

The proper monkey screentime is 0, because they deserve no screentime.

In Google Docs, if you hit Undo (Ctrl-Z) right after it autoformats something, it'll undo the autoformat and won't try to again for a bit.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

I thought it was done on purpose. It made it entertaining. I say keep it that way.

Dybael
Jul 11, 2017

Regalingualius posted:

Fun fact: in a Japanese poll asking people what their favorite mon was that was conducted around this time, Pansear (or it’s evolution, I forget) came in dead last.

Yup, Pansear's evo was #720 out of 720, and the other elemental monkeys were all way at the bottom of the list too... except for Pansage, which made it to the rarefied heights of #397? No, I don't get it either. They all seem interchangeably dull to me. I have a soft spot for simple or ugly-cute pokémon designs, but the monkeys aren't either. They're just... aggressively bland.

You can see the results of the Pokémon General Election here, if you're OK with spoilers through gen 6.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Black Robe posted:

I don't see the problem, obviously the fifth generation of a franchise is the time to devote half the game to explaining the three type matchups that are already explained to you at the very start of every single game, over and over and over. How else will people understand the fire-water-grass triangle without an entire gym devoted to the concept and half the trainers in the game jamming monkeys into your face?

Black and White smacked of a rebooted gen 1. It makes sense they'd hold your hand just as hard as they did in Kanto.

Dybael posted:

Yup, Pansear's evo was #720 out of 720, and the other elemental monkeys were all way at the bottom of the list too... except for Pansage, which made it to the rarefied heights of #397? No, I don't get it either. They all seem interchangeably dull to me. I have a soft spot for simple or ugly-cute pokémon designs, but the monkeys aren't either. They're just... aggressively bland.

You can see the results of the Pokémon General Election here, if you're OK with spoilers through gen 6.

Pansage is Cilan's Pokemon, and he was Brock 2.0 in the anime. That's why his monkey ranked a little higher than the others, he was repped more.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Roro posted:

Black and White smacked of a rebooted gen 1. It makes sense they'd hold your hand just as hard as they did in Kanto.

Pansage is Cilan's Pokemon, and he was Brock 2.0 in the anime. That's why his monkey ranked a little higher than the others, he was repped more.

Kanto didnt really hold your hand though. It's old enough it hails from the era of "tutorial? What's that? Go read the manual" There was the vermilion old man and that was about it.

It didnt really tell you what to do in the slightest.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Regalingualius posted:

What about Patrat eyes combined with Kamina’s shades? :kamina:

I apologize, the only anime references I understand are Yugioh and Jojo's.

Dybael posted:

Yup, Pansear's evo was #720 out of 720, and the other elemental monkeys were all way at the bottom of the list too... except for Pansage, which made it to the rarefied heights of #397? No, I don't get it either.

It's because Pansage is clearly a nickname for weed.

I should mention that this video is required viewing for the rest of the LP (and the full panel is worth it too if you have half an hour)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I apologize, the only anime references I understand are Yugioh and Jojo's.

It's because Pansage is clearly a nickname for weed.

I should mention that this video is required viewing for the rest of the LP (and the full panel is worth it too if you have half an hour)

I know it will be a while before you get there, but when you get a Tangela please name it Terry, in remembrance to Brian's best friend, who was sadly lost in a world he couldn't yet defend.
It is said someone isn't truly dead until their names stops being spoken, so we have to make sure Terry's name stays in our minds.

Terry, you will not be forgotten!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Caught up with this LP and hoo boy the elemental monkeys. I kind of tolerate them and don't really get why they draw so much ire. They mostly exist to teach newer players about type match ups since their gimmick is to mimic the actual starters.

X and Y did something similar, only the "second starter" you can pick from is the Gen 1 starters instead of the monkeys (although you can still catch them in the first forest area).

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The one thing I'll give Simisage is that it grows a pompadour as part of evolving. That is cool. Other than that, the elemental monkeys are not bad, it's just that they...exist, for a lack of better words. The problem is that the monkey trio seem to exist solely to give Striaton Gym a unique gimmick, and that's probably their biggest drawback. They're not the worst at their jobs and are a good stopgap until you find something else. Also, Panpour comes with a move that I really like because it is something that is (at the time of this game's release) overdue for Water types to have.

That said, Simisear is bad if only because it does the very dumb "kiss the rings" pose in its artwork/sprite models.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The other big thing is that they just keep appearing even long after they’re (barely) relevant. It feels like almost every single route has three trainers that have one of each of the monkeys

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Zuzie posted:

They mostly exist to teach newer players about type match ups since their gimmick is to mimic the actual starters.

That's why I hate them. You've already had fire-water-grass explained to you with the starters - they don't have elemental attacks in the first battle, but you fight Cheren and Bianca multiple times. And then the 'puzzle element' of the first gym and the dialogue of the gym leaders is another unnecessarily over-detailed explanation of fire-water-grass before you even fight anything.

The monkeys are completely redundant as well as being not very good and pretty ugly. And they get shoved in your face constantly for the whole game, though that's just a symptom of Gamefreak deciding to lock all non-gen-5 pokemon to the postgame so nobody has many choices.

If they were different types to show off more type interactions apart from the one that's already been explained twice, they'd be less annoying, though they'd still suck.

I'm also desperately waiting for the day when you can check a box on starting a new game that says "Yes, I know how Pokemon games work, I have been playing them for decades now" and play a version of the game that removes all tutorial elements completely.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 6: Jagen Takes Hallucinogens

On Fennel’s request, we’re headed to the Dreamyard to look for some Dream Mist from Munna, the Dream Eater Pokemon. Dream.

We couldn’t do much earlier in this area, thanks to this shrub blocking the way. But now we’ve got some new tools.

Well, one new tool. Cut is a rather terrible move, being worse than Tackle, but it’s got some handy utility. As an HM, it can interact with the environment!

It also beats the heck out of Bide. Goodbye, Bide.

You can activate HM moves by choosing them from the Party screen...if you want. You can also just press A next to the object you’re trying to use them on in most cases.

Timber, Patrat!

Well, that worked out pretty well!

And this quickly triggers another Bianca appearance.

Not much exploring is necessary for Bianca to get a lead.

: Did you hear a sound coming from the other side of that wall? Come on! Let’s go see!

Ah. A...balloon?

Oh, hey, it’s these guys.

: Mu!

: Huh? Who are you?! What are you doing?

Bianca wasn’t around for their speech in Accumula Town, if you remember. She was too busy trying to decide if she wanted to buy Potions or Poke Balls.

: We battle day and night to liberate Pokemon from foolish humans!

: The Pokemon Munna and Musharna emit a mysterious vapor called Dream Mist, which shows people’s dreams. We’re going to use that to make people want to release their Pokemon...We’ll show them dreams to manipulate their hearts.

But...wouldn’t they already have to be having those dreams in the first place for that to work? All this plan is going to do is make it everyone’s first day of work and they’re naked, forever.

Regardless, the grunt on the left rams into Munna.

Use Munna responsibly, kids.

: That’s mean! Why? You’re Trainers too, right?

: That’s right. We’re Pokemon Trainers too, but we’re fighting for a different reason. Unlike you two, we’re fighting for the freedom of Pokemon!

Jagen left his house like, a day ago, I don’t think he’s fighting for much of anything yet.

: And setting Pokemon free means that we win Pokemon battles and take Pokemon by force!

P-?

Oh! Plasma.

(This is a great battle theme, by the by)

And so, our dastardly villainous team makes their official battling debut! What new challenges will they throw at us?

oh come the gently caress on

One shot. All Glory To The Hypnotoad.

: Well, whatever, I’m next!

Lillipup?

Not even. C’mon.

It even tried to Assist itself.

Really I’m just embarrassed for these guys.

Detect is an interesting move. It has Priority, so it will always go first. It can be used to dodge a hit from a charged move like Solar Beam or Fly, to stall out battles for poision strategies, and a myriad of other tricky uses. Sadly it’s not great in the main game, so I pass on this one.

: But we have to obtain the Dream Mist! Come on! Make with the Dream Mist!

: Knock it off!

Huh. He wasn’t there before.

Uh oh. Two of him.

: from foolish people!

Three Ghetsis? And only one has the true Falchion!

: And if you cannot fulfill your duties…

: T-this isn’t...Ghetsis when he is gathering followers...Or Ghetsis when he is trying to control people by tricking them with speeches!

: Yeah...This is Ghetsis when a plan has failed, and he is about to issue punishment…

: At any rate, let’s hurry and say we’re sorry so he forgives us!

The grunts flee, having casually dropped the information that their boss is purposefully tricking people with his speeches. Y’know, as low level video game goons do.

Still more competent than the Lift Key guy.

And Ghetsis disappears.

To be replaced by...uh...whatever that is.

: ...What was that just now? That person called Ghetsis appeared all over the place, and it wasn’t real, right?! Could it have been a dream?

: Is that Musharna?

: Munii!

And they drift off.

: Did something happen?

: Oh, Fennel. Well, you see, Munna was here… But Team Plasma and Munna… And Musharna came… And it showed us something like a dream? And then, Team Plasma…

I’m not sure if the ellipsis are meant to indicate abridged dialogue or that Bianca just can’t string together a coherent story about the flying pink pig that makes you hallucinate.

Glad someone did.

: See, Musharna evolves from Munna. So, seeing Munna in trouble, it used its power--making dreams into reality--to save Munna! Which means...wait a second!

: Is this Dream Mist? With this, I can complete my research! You two come to my house later, OK?

Bianca, stop lampooning the narrative, if you keep doing that all I’ll have left is puns.

: Why don’t you go to Fennel’s house? Me? Well, I’m going to look for the Pokemon we saw just now.

Bianca’s trying to dissuade us from looting the area. Not happening.

There are goodies to find!

A Repel will stop wild encounters with Pokemon at a level lower than the one in our party’s lead slot for fifty steps. Can be handy. More importantly, though, it looks like there’s more to the Dreamyard, but we can’t access it quite yet. We may need another HM for that.

Plus, since we couldn’t enter the grass before, now we can search for new Pokemon! There’s one!

The sneakiest item here is hidden at an angle so that you can only see it approaching from a specific side. Jagen is one tile to the right of it.

It’s...not really worth hiding. Now, onto hunting for Pokemon!

Oh hey, there’s one. It’s a Munna! Now that we have a better look, I can tell...I still don’t know what it’s supposed to be.

But it knows Marth is a savage Tackling warrior.

Couldn’t foresee the ball, though. Yoink.

Munna’s out here putting poor Drowzee out of a job.

Munna’s also a weird little Pokemon. It specializes in bulk, having lots of HP at the expense of being very slow. It also only knows one damaging move right now, Psybeam. Defense Curl is a defensive boost, Yawn puts the target to sleep one round after it’s used, and Lucky Chant prevents your opponents from landing crits on you for five turns.

Its ability, Forewarn, will tell you the name of a move the opposing Pokemon controls with the highest Power. It’s quite interesting, but not exactly practical in most cases.

That’s all we’ve got to do in the Dreamyard for quite a while (until after the credits roll, in fact!), so let’s head back into town.

I mean, I believe her, she’s wearing a lab coat. They don’t just give those things away.

: Thanks to you, I got some Dream Mist, and now I can collect save files of various Trainers! Thank you very much! As a token of my appreciation, I will give you this C-Gear to use! The C-Gear is a device related to communications, such as Infared Connection or Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

Hooray, we got one of the game’s most advertised features!

Oh no, it is entirely useless for the purposes of this LP due to the removal of Nintendo WFC and the lack of any local hot scene for a 2011 era game in my area!

(It does change the bottom screen and add a clock, though, so I guess that’s something.)

: the screen. Then, after turning on the power, if you touch the “?” icon at the bottom right of the screen, you can read about the C-Gear. About Game Sync...I’d like to explain a little more about the system to collect Trainers’ save files.

Fennel, please, we need to move on with the LP.

Okay, this is now a run for archival purposes, I suppose.

: Because, thanks to you, we can do a great thing! Now Game Sync can retrieve memories of sleeping Pokemon using Dream Mist! That’s right! We can collect save files of Trainers from all over the world!

Game Sync was a feature that allowed you to unlock the “Dream World” on the Pokemon website. You could plant berries, play minigames, and even catch some Pokemon with abilities that aren’t normally available.

For example, all Snivys you get at the start of the game have Overgrow, like Marth, but Snivys obtained through the Dream World could have Contrary.

: What’s more, we learned that if you use Game Sync to make a Pokemon sleep, it will have dreams. Then, when you wake up that Pokemon, its dream becomes the reality in a space called Entralink in the middle of the Unova region.

Sadly, none of this is possible anymore.

But maybe Amanita knows something more pertinent!

: This is from me. Please take it. Don’t be shy.

Oh, it’s a PDA. Yay?

: After you register, you can link with those friends over Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection to do all kinds of fun things! You can trade Pokemon, challenge your friends to a battle, and so on. Let me give you a quick how-to on registering your friends. You can either input your friend’s code directly by using your Pal Pad...Or you can use the IR Connection feature of the C-Gear. Then, you can register your friend!

Also all obsolete now!

I hope we’ve all learned something about the tragic vulnerability of digital-only media and the impermanence of our creations in general.

now let’s play some more pokemon

We’re all done w-

...With Striaton City. For now. We can’t do anything about this shadow in the water right now, but it’s nice to look at.

This guy will stop you from leaving the city before you’ve finished your business with the Gym and Fennel. We’re all clear on plot points now, though!

Onwards to a new route!

And a classic beloved feature of Pokemon games returns here! Not that we need it at the moment.

Interestingly, the Pokemon Day Care is right next to a Human Being Day Care. Let’s check out the latter first.

This caretaker will heal your Pokemon, but mine are all freshened up right now.

Shh. I’m gonna get to it!

Look, I need to do something in this LP, and there haven’t been many opportunities to do stupid stuff with the portraits yet. Let me have this.

I think this kid is woke as gently caress.

An army of children and monsters is a stalwart ally.

Munna’s Forewarn does some work here, alerting me that this Lillipup has Bite. Bite’s Dark Type, so it’ll do double damage to Munna and that’s not what I’m about.

I swapped out, but it used Odor Sleuth instead. This is a dumb Lillipup.

It does not take my insults lightly, nailing a ridiculously powerful critackle for that joke.

Autumn’s other Pokemon is a Munna. Chomp chomp.

And so we crushed the smiles of children and Pokemon alike. Oops.

This NPC is great, because she drastically cuts down on time spent running back to the Pokecenter.

Jagen walks up the slide backwards, because he has no respect for authority.

oh poo poo it’s kindergarden cop

OH poo poo INDEED

...Get it outta here.

Munna isn’t exactly a great fighter. We’ll talk about why in a bit.

return to the earth, cursed beast

This kid rules. Naturally, Jagen must now prove he is king of the playground by defeating all of the children frequenting it.

no

Don’t you do it.

aaaaHHHHH

Okay. Let’s all calm down and talk about why Munna’s having trouble. Psywave is...weird. Unlike most moves, which have a pretty stable power setting, I’m just going to copy/paste Bulbapedia’s definition here:

Psywave inflicts damage equal to (user's level) * (r + 50) / 100, where r is a random number from 0 to 100. The damage is always rounded down; however, Psywave will always deal at least 1 HP of damage.

This can lead to some absolutely awful rolls that do almost zero damage despite our Munna’s respectable Special Attack, as you can see with Panpour’s HP bar there. It’s just totally unreliable, and Munna won’t get another damaging move until it hits level 11. That one’s pretty solid and can make Munna hold up, but for now it’s sorta dead weight. If you’d like me to keep it on the team, let me know, but we’ll have a lot more options soon.

One last fun thing about the playground, you can leave footprints in this sandbox. :v: We’re all done here for now, although we’ll certainly be returning to check out the Pokemon Day Care.

But for now, we’ve got another problem.

The problem is, indeed, math.

This is our first Double Battle!

In a Double Battle, each team has an additional Pokemon on the field, and you fight 2 on 2. You can select the targets of your moves, like I’m doing here, and even hit your partner if you want. This can be an effective strategy with certain move or ability combos!

Some attacks, like Growl, will hit both enemies. Others might even affect your ally! Keep this in mind. I really enjoy Double Battles, personally, I think the extra level of added strategy makes them feel pretty fresh.

Especially against NPCs, it’s generally a good idea to focus down one trainer’s Pokemon, as when they’re out of reinforcements, their partner is stranded alone.

That was a lot of text to describe beating two Level 10 Purrloins, but hey, double battles are cool like that!

Now to continue down the route!

Really?

: We both have a Trio Badge, so let’s see which of us is stronger!

I Sure Hope You Like Rival Battles, Act III

Cheren leads with his usual Tepig, buffed to level 14 now. It’s a bit stronger than the Pansage Chili used, because The Monkeys Are Bad.

cheren that was “tackle”.

The Pig’s pretty beefy (Porky?), and an Oran Berry certainly doesn’t lessen that. It’s just been Leering at HYPNOTOAD...menacingly. But for quite a while. At this point, a good physical move could easily wreck our boy.

:allears:

Never stop being you, Pokemon AI.

His second Pokemon is another Purrloin. I promise, we are mere steps away from more of the Pokemon in the Unova region, they made more!

cheren you never even attacked

I’d think you’d have a pretty good idea of it by now, buddy.

I’m sure it was nothing.

This line predates the meme, don’t worry, Cheren’s not becoming a hip youth just yet.

: That way, but… Why are you running now?

: Oh, seriously! They run so fast!

: It’ll be OK. It’ll be OK. Don’t cry.

: Bianca, really, why were you running?

I can just hear that clip on repeat in my head now.

: You have to hear this! Those people stole this girl’s Pokemon!

: You should have spoken up sooner!

Of course. Jagen would never hesitate to pick up his lance Poke Balls to defend the innocent.

But first he’s going to make a quick detour to grab that item.

And, evidently, meet a new Pokemon! This one’s quite a find!

Audino has a ton of HP and defenses, making it a tough nut to crack. Perhaps most importantly, it gives a ludicrous amount of EXP upon fainting. It’s basically just Chansey for a new generation.

It also seems to enjoy DoubleSlapping the crap out of Hypnotoad.

Thankfully, a series of lucky Bite flinches puts an end to that.

As much as I’d love the experience, Audino are fairly rare, so I’m going to snag one while I can.

:toot:

Audino functions mostly as a beefy wall or support Pokemon, learning very few damaging moves, although the ones it does learn (eventually) tend to be quite powerful.

Anyway, there’s a Super Potion here. Now, to chase those grunts!

Or, y’know, meet another new Pokemon.

Blitzle is our first Electric type! It’s notable for being extremely fast, but fragile. It also doesn’t know any actual electric type moves right now, but that’ll change at Level 11.

So, with that all in mind, let me know if you’d like to see any of the Pokemon we caught in this update used, at least for a while. Next time we’ll chase down those Pokemon kidnappers and presumably watch Team Plasma get even more comically incompetent. See you soon.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Psywave can be fiendishly powerful out of nowhere, it's not something you can rely on (or should against randos), but when I played the earlier generations and when I was younger, random-damage moves like this would save my rear end against opponents I had no business beating yet more often than not. The thing is that the damage they do is random, but fixed; so it's unaffected by pesky things like "Defense", and that can help a lot.

Of course, having a reliable move is better in 99% of situations, but sometimes, it can be quite nice. By the way, the first time you talk about it, you call it "Psybeam" in text, which is wishful thinking ;).

Your Audino wasn't rare at all, but I sure thought as well when I played the game the first time. They are exclusive to shaking grass, and you happened to stumble into a shaking grass spot without realizing it, probably. This is also where I got my first (and for a long while only) Audino, because during the cutscene, the grass is sure to start shaking. At least I think it's time-based, might also re-roll a shake chance with every step you take. Anyway, you can get grass to shake on any route by just being patient, same is true for the water spot you showed off. And this means that for most routes, you can get guaranteed Audino encounters for easy XP!

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I would like to see thunder horse get a turn in the spotlight. It's a good horse.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
I used Thunderhorse a lot when I played White way back. It's just super cool.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I tried to use Blitzle in my run, but it wasn't good enough. Even after becoming Zebstrika it kept dying. Show me how to Blitzle LordHippoman! Maybe rename it into Prancer or something...
Though Blitzle and Zebstrika are examples of names which are so good I'd be just as happy to keep them as is.

I liked using Basculin for Cut. There's just something funny of the mental image of using a fish to cut down trees.

Audino can, I think, be found on every route and are the best way to lvl up. Just run up and down next to the grass waiting for a shaky patch and off you go.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'll add to the chorus for shockpony. I'm not familiar with this generation at all and that horse looks adorable

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
There's a few differences between Chansey and Audino. Namely, Audino actually has stats besides HP and Special Defense. Granted, this makes it less effective at being a wall than Chansey (because it has waaaaaaay lower HP and Special Defense as a result)...

Another huge one is that you can actually take advantage of its massive EXP yield! Chansey and Blissey technically give more EXP but from what I remember they're basically impossible to practically farm unless you specifically set it up with Secret Base shenanigans.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I actually would like to see a bit of Munna, if it won't cause you too much suffering. I've never used one.
It's a tapir pillow, what's not to love?

Definitely bring blitzle along for a bit!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Given that hippo pointed out the ripples I'm pretty sure they know about rustling grass

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Psywave can be fiendishly powerful out of nowhere, it's not something you can rely on (or should against randos), but when I played the earlier generations and when I was younger, random-damage moves like this would save my rear end against opponents I had no business beating yet more often than not. The thing is that the damage they do is random, but fixed; so it's unaffected by pesky things like "Defense", and that can help a lot.

Of course, having a reliable move is better in 99% of situations, but sometimes, it can be quite nice. By the way, the first time you talk about it, you call it "Psybeam" in text, which is wishful thinking ;).

Your Audino wasn't rare at all, but I sure thought as well when I played the game the first time. They are exclusive to shaking grass, and you happened to stumble into a shaking grass spot without realizing it, probably. This is also where I got my first (and for a long while only) Audino, because during the cutscene, the grass is sure to start shaking. At least I think it's time-based, might also re-roll a shake chance with every step you take. Anyway, you can get grass to shake on any route by just being patient, same is true for the water spot you showed off. And this means that for most routes, you can get guaranteed Audino encounters for easy XP!

Yeah, the Psybeam was me projecting, I suppose. We're almost there, though.

I didn't see the rustling grass, so I figured Audino perhaps had a rare chance of appearing in standard encounters, but I'm realizing I probably just didn't see the patch rustling as I walked into it. I remember that being a big issue with D/P/Pt shiny hunting.

Solumin posted:

I actually would like to see a bit of Munna, if it won't cause you too much suffering. I've never used one.
It's a tapir pillow, what's not to love?

Definitely bring blitzle along for a bit!

Oh, poo poo, it is a tapir and not just a weirdly shaped pig!

I'll make sure both Munna and Blitzle get some spotlight time soon. I may just rotate team members throughout the game, I don't mind doing a bit of EXP grinding offscreen for the LP.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Munna is one of the clearest examples of Gen V being "Gen I, but different." It's Drowzee but less creepy, and it gives dreams instead of eating them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Yeah, the Psybeam was me projecting, I suppose. We're almost there, though.

I didn't see the rustling grass, so I figured Audino perhaps had a rare chance of appearing in standard encounters, but I'm realizing I probably just didn't see the patch rustling as I walked into it. I remember that being a big issue with D/P/Pt shiny hunting.
Yeah, I just checked, and Audino can only come from rustling grass in Route 3, and it's the only 'mon in the rustling grass. Later, some very nice things can be in rustling grass, but they usually still share it with Audinos, so it's really annoying to hunt for a "20% chance to be in rustling grass" 'mon because you keep getting Audinos instead, and it takes a while for the grass to start rustling.

It's also not immediately obvious, but here's my hot tip for grass hunters: play with sound on and listen for it!

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Solumin posted:

Munna is one of the clearest examples of Gen V being "Gen I, but different." It's Drowzee but less creepy, and it gives dreams instead of eating them.

And that one NPC girl in Gen 1 can finally have the pink pokemon with a floral pattern that she wanted.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

If nothing else, Audino are pretty good for catching any latecomers to your team up to speed once you’re way further in.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

Darth TNT posted:

I tried to use Blitzle in my run, but it wasn't good enough. Even after becoming Zebstrika it kept dying. Show me how to Blitzle LordHippoman! Maybe rename it into Prancer or something...
Though Blitzle and Zebstrika are examples of names which are so good I'd be just as happy to keep them as is.

I liked using Basculin for Cut. There's just something funny of the mental image of using a fish to cut down trees.

Audino can, I think, be found on every route and are the best way to lvl up. Just run up and down next to the grass waiting for a shaky patch and off you go.

Flame Charge Blitze is a very good way to cheese a certain Gym Leader later on.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Blitzle has two major flaws:
- extremely tiny movepool, especially for the stronger physical side
- instantly dies against literally everything

otoh:
- cute
- cool
- electric type's good to have
- whatever, it's single player Pokemon, go wild

ototheroh:
- there's a far cooler and cuter electric type along the line...but that's a while in, so by all means use Blitzle! Yay!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I DO like Team Plasma. They have a decent goal...then they flush that all down the toilet by being jackasses. They're certainly no team Skull. Also, use the electric horse forever. Also use the Munna.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

ototheroh:
- there's a far cooler and cuter electric type along the line...but that's a while in, so by all means use Blitzle! Yay!

Oh right, the cute rodent. :downs:
I actually used that in the past, it's not half bad.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

This gen’s Pika clone is one of the better ones, yeah.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Audino's a fun Pokémon, I remember Hansel being the star of Chorocojo's Black LP team.

After the alliteration with Lillipup in the update before last, I'm suggesting PPPPPP as a nickname for our punchy puppy pal.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I was hoping it would take a little longer before they spelled out the manipulative speeches. We've barely seen them.

The scene with Bianca chasing because they "freed a Pokemon" would have been a better intro to something being wrong with them. I do appreciate that they seem like Pokemon Peta so far though.