Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

I'm glad you finally looked up figured out what gems do

Be sure to check out the Dragon's Gate!

I want them to somehow be able to do the online stuff and get a level 20 Fuga with 85 strength and other absurd hacked nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Huh. Finally got around to watching 18, and didn't find anything to say other than that I watched it.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frog: new video
Ep 19 - To The Sea (part 2)

we're on a boat

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Wasn’t reina one of the characters that can’t have a kid? I remember there being some reason why you shouldn’t marry her to someone. I mean, it’s good that there wouldn’t be any spawn of Chome, so it isn’t a big loss.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The Skeleton King posted:

Wasn’t reina one of the characters that can’t have a kid? I remember there being some reason why you shouldn’t marry her to someone. I mean, it’s good that there wouldn’t be any spawn of Chome, so it isn’t a big loss.

Not quite. It's not possible for her to gain support ranks with any characters except Chome, but she can marry and have a child with him. So if anything she's one of the better candidates for him from the standpoint of maxing your number of options for the rest of the characters.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gruckles posted:

Not quite. It's not possible for her to gain support ranks with any characters except Chome, but she can marry and have a child with him.

She likes murder, he likes to be murdered.

They were destined for each other.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Kids were linked to the mothers in Awakening, but they're linked to the fathers in Fates.

The problem with this (well, one of the many problems with kids in Fates really) is that if you marry a male Chome off to one of the potential mothers who can support the other male characters, you end up short one kid. So, there's a few characters that can only gain an S rank with Chome and no one else.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Also if you take up the same-sex marriage option in either game you get locked out of Corrin's child which, honestly, is not a big loss.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
i'm not sure, did y'all ever realize that couples don't get support points just by ending their turns near each other (like they did in the gba games)?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
If you get fed up with having to organize your army around who's hooking up with who, challenge fights pretty much exist to grind out support points.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

inthesto posted:

If you get fed up with having to organize your army around who's hooking up with who, challenge fights pretty much exist to grind out support points.

And again, pair people together when possible and magically go from managing 12 to maybe 6 people each map. Give or take pairing up healmaid or vocaloid.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 20 - To The Sea (part 3)

have your pet neutered or spade

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That Chome/Kaze support was bizarre even for this game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Kids were linked to the mothers in Awakening, but they're linked to the fathers in Fates.

The problem with this (well, one of the many problems with kids in Fates really) is that if you marry a male Chome off to one of the potential mothers who can support the other male characters, you end up short one kid. So, there's a few characters that can only gain an S rank with Chome and no one else.

Awakening had characters that could only marry Robin as well, and they had plenty of spares around to guarantee you could get all the kids. The difference is, in Awakening they were major characters (and Anna) who had a story role before joining your party that wouldn't fit terribly well with marrying a random Shepherd, and the non free-DLC ones had at least one other support to flesh them out and give you an idea what their deal was, while Fates tends to just decide that, eh, sure. This guy. They're Corrin only. Because.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
It was actually pretty annoying that if you made the mistake of playing male Cornflakes in CQ like I did my first playthrough, it was impossible to get all the kids unless you married an avatar-only character like Flora (or if I were more disgusting, one of the kids themselves). Though in retrospect, I don't know why I wanted any of the kids at all.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Contra Calculus posted:

Though in retrospect, I don't know why I wanted any of the kids at all.

Completionism?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
discord chatroom update

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Completionism?

Yeah, in most Fire Emblems, you want to play every map, and Conquest's limited resources make another map's worth of XP, money, and support building look appealing. Especially with infinite use weapons.

It's just Fates is bad. And it has some pretty bad mechanics for the child missions. But that might be getting ahead of things.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 21 - Dark Reunion

(groans of increasing discomfort)

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 29, 2019

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, in most Fire Emblems, you want to play every map, and Conquest's limited resources make another map's worth of XP, money, and support building look appealing. Especially with infinite use weapons.

It's just Fates is bad. And it has some pretty bad mechanics for the child missions. But that might be getting ahead of things.

I went through a thing this year where I played every game in the series. This included Gaiden and the SNES satellite game. I found that when I played the games the way I was traditionally told to play: grind every character to have perfect stats, use high growth characters, try getting every support in games that have them (or conversations in the case of FE4 and FE5) and I just didn't have any fun. I think it's just because I don't have any patience for grinding in anything anymore.

I found when I played them with the try-hard 0% growth efficiency meta where they don't give a poo poo about exp distribution, supports, growths, or kids and cared more about unit base stats, mobility, availability, promotion benefits, weapon usage i.e. just steam rolling with the juggernaut units the game already hands out to you, then yeah I found out I was actually having fun. This included skipping every stupid cutscene and support which makes CQ on lunatic a suddenly very enjoyable experience... up to chapter 18 anyway. Everything past that can bite me.

It also made me realize I hate the pair-up mechanic because it means some characters get reduced to backpacks like Arthur and Charlotte.

In conclusion that's why I shouldn't have cared about kids in Fates.

Contra Calculus fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 29, 2019

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
How did I miss this thread? I normally take every chance to rag on Fire Emblem Fates.

But yeah, I think I got about this far in Birthright before I just couldn't be bothered to care about anyone in it enough to finish.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think it says something that Takumi's personality turning into MC-esque Blank Slate is an improvement over how he was at first.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think it says something that Takumi's personality turning into MC-esque Blank Slate is an improvement over how he was at first.

Yet he's still the most interesting of the Hoshido siblings due to how dull the remaining three are.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Contra Calculus posted:

It also made me realize I hate the pair-up mechanic because it means some characters get reduced to backpacks like Arthur and Charlotte.

In conclusion that's why I shouldn't have cared about kids in Fates.

People talk about Fates pairup being an improvement, but the more I think about it, the less I buy it. Awakening's pairup was busted as hell, but players could still easily keep track of the numbers, and both characters mattered.

Meanwhile, in Fates, the way pairup works reduces characters to statsticks, the data to remember is messier, and it's not thematically linked to the rest of the game, so it's just the mechanics. Which are a mess.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Geostomp posted:

Yet he's still the most interesting of the Hoshido siblings due to how dull the remaining three are.

I seriously usually forget Hinoka is in this game and I beat it three or four times.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

So, once you're done with Birthright you'll be dropping straight into Revelations, right?
Though I am slightly worried that that might implode DVac's shipping charts into a black hole of Anime.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
no one reads the OP i worked so hard on :negative:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I seriously usually forget Hinoka is in this game and I beat it three or four times.

She's remarkably boring. I mean, first shot I saw of her, I assumed a peg knight with Ryoma Nagare sideburns was going to be great, and possibly psychotic. And, I mean, she's supposed to be hotblooded? But she's such a nothing character.

Fates and Awakening's supports are night and day. I realized at some point in Birthright I was actively dreading reading the drat things, where in Awakening getting more was a primary goal.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

chiasaur11 posted:

She's remarkably boring. I mean, first shot I saw of her, I assumed a peg knight with Ryoma Nagare sideburns was going to be great, and possibly psychotic. And, I mean, she's supposed to be hotblooded? But she's such a nothing character.

Fates and Awakening's supports are night and day. I realized at some point in Birthright I was actively dreading reading the drat things, where in Awakening getting more was a primary goal.

Hinoka wasn't even supposed to be in the game to begin with. She was added last minute to be a contrasting "big sister" to Camilla. Unlike her counterpart, she has neither an extremely uncomfortable amount of sexualization or backstory beyond "trained really hard to get Corrin back" to get your attention.

The Hosido crew is just painfully dull, but the game is so intent on telling you to join them.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
That map is exactly why you need to do your research and plan out your covert ops- if you don't it turns out like that, at BEST. Usually you'd just flat-out die.

Setsuna has gone from "airhead" to "legitimate mental illness." The fact that she hasn't been killed or crippled by her own ineptitude before the game even started is probably due to the "dumb luck" cliche, but there should be a limit on that BS, and she has clearly passed it. I mean, just going by her characterization she should've probably gotten her leg stuck in a bear trap and been too dumb to try to open it (since I don't think she's ever shown trying to escape a trap on her own).

Azama's character isn't "chill dude." It's more "apathetic troll." Frankly, I don't like him (and I mean "relative to the other characters in this horribly-written game" which is a bad sign).

Xander, on the other hand, is probably my most-hated character. I mean, he's on the wrong side, it's BLATANTLY OBVIOUS he's on the wrong side even from the moment you're introduced to the Nohrians, but he can't be bothered to even consider that Chome might have a REASON to turn against them (and in fact actively cuts off any attempts to explain), let alone do anything to undermine Garon. Frankly, I find him even more contemptible than the characters whose sole defining trait is "is evil."

Geostomp posted:

Hinoka wasn't even supposed to be in the game to begin with. She was added last minute to be a contrasting "big sister" to Camilla. Unlike her counterpart, she has neither an extremely uncomfortable amount of sexualization or backstory beyond "trained really hard to get Corrin back" to get your attention.

The Hosido crew is just painfully dull, but the game is so intent on telling you to join them.

I remember hearing a rumor that the other Hoshido sister was supposed to be Kagero, but I haven't tried to confirm it. Someone less lazy (and apathetic-to-outright-hostile) than me could probably find something credible on the subject with a bit of effort, though.

Granted, she's not exactly a riveting character either, and her design's almost as blatantly-sexual as Camilla's, so whether it'd be an improvement if that was the case is debatable...

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 30, 2019

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
This is the map that put the kibosh in my Corrin-only auto-battle run. Corrin doesn't know how not to run face first into Evil Murder Dad. You can 100% thump Garon, Xavier, and his retainers if you know what you're doing; it's not even particularly difficult. You don't get anything out of it other than some minor bragging rights, though.

Azama is just Chandler.

Also, this game has a lot of thongs.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Among the 526 rewrites for this game's story, Hinoka and Reina's personalities got swapped.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Wasn't Kagero supposed to be Camellia's counterpart in one of the rewrites?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

golden bubble posted:

Wasn't Kagero supposed to be Camellia's counterpart in one of the rewrites?

So says the rumors. She’d honestly fit a lot better since she looks older and has the fanservice design to match Camilla. It’s not like she’d be any less memorable than Hinoka.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Among the 526 rewrites for this game's story, Hinoka and Reina's personalities got swapped.

I want the version of the story where Hinoka was sent to prison for ten years on false accusations of killing Mikoto, before getting released to actually finish the job.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geostomp posted:

So says the rumors. She’d honestly fit a lot better since she looks older and has the fanservice design to match Camilla. It’s not like she’d be any less memorable than Hinoka.

Kagero actually kicks rear end and her, Orochi and Oboro are most of the good characters on the Hoshido path.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Pouring one out for our best bud Zola

r.i.p.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Azama is like that towards everyone, all his supports are basically him being an rear end in a top hat to people. I think there was one character who turns his trolling around on him but I forget who it was.

Edit: Oh right, I think it was Hayato of all people. It's a pretty funny support.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 22 - Another Hope

Finally. This is Cheve.