Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The punchline is there is an RPG coming out about being part of a Weyland-Yutani-esque megacorp and doing sinister poo poo in an attempt to get a seat on the board of directors, but it is in fact a rules-light game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Is the hive queen going to take me to the dance this year?

Just walk up and ask her, you big silly goof!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Yawgmoth posted:

Kurt Russell should be a canon part of every universe. :colbert:

All aboard the Captain Ron extended universe.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

The real success will be in the splat books.

Alien v. Predator v. Terminator was already mentioned, but this also opens the door for Robocop v. The Terminator.

Alien V Predator V Terminaor V Robocop V Batman

re: canon I think y'all are arguing past each other, Tuxedo Catfish's point is the IP owner is gonna do whatever the gently caress they want, so you can't "*nerd voice* well umm actually as clearly established in..." about the future of an IP. If next year the aliens happened because of the infinity gauntlet, that's the new normal.

The folks saying canon matters are echoing the conversation about 'metaplot' in RPGs we had earlier. That argument is the advice "just ignore the parts you don't like" doesn't fly if the RPG isn't being published as a multi-tool thing with alternate rules for running whatever flavor you want or very robust customization options. Eventually something you wanna work in will violate the current ruleset and you'll wind up basically just playing your own homebrew game.

You're both right, and not really refuting each other.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

FMguru posted:

Just walk up and ask her, you big silly goof!

who is this amazing person

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

The punchline is there is an RPG coming out about being part of a Weyland-Yutani-esque megacorp and doing sinister poo poo in an attempt to get a seat on the board of directors, but it is in fact a rules-light game.

Sounds great. What's it called?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Sounds great. What's it called?

Deniable Assets. I think the kickstarter is still going.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Yeah Soldier is full of name-dropped references to other films and Blade Runner's replicants, the Alien franchise's synthetics, and the genetically engineered soldiers who replaced Kurt Russell's character can be linked as sort of advancements in the same line of tech.

It doesn't really hold up as anything but the creators being clever but fans latch on to it.
If my fans you mean David Peoples, since he apparently expressly said he wrote it as being in the same universe. Though unless you have a 20 year old copy of cinescape lying around you'll have to trust secondary sources.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kai Tave posted:

None of that, whichever side you're on, still does anything to answer the questions I have going into an Alien Tabletop RPG that seems to be strictly focused on replicating the Ellen Ripley Experience in terms of "what do you do in a long-running campaign?" I'm sure they've put some measure of thought into it considering they explicitly mention the game is set up for both one-shots and campaigns, but I have to admit it's not a setting that particularly makes me go "I can totally see a long-running campaign in this setting, hell yeah."

It's actually not too hard to make a long-running alien campaign. The alien franchise had a long-running plot in the Dark Horse comic series. You just have to do things during the Earth War. As mankind is trapped in space, Earth is lost, and survivors struggle to adapt and people contemplate and strive to get Earth back.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Xiahou Dun posted:

who is this amazing person

She's that mousy girl you've gone to high school with for years. She took off her glasses and let down her pony tail.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

She's that mousy girl you've gone to high school with for years. She took off her glasses and let down her pony tail.

I don't remember Emergence (Metamorphosis) ending like that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How ever could there be an on going plot? There isn't a campaign at all in the Adventures of Ellen Ripley

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Len posted:

How ever could there be an on going plot? There isn't a campaign at all in the Adventures of Ellen Ripley

I just linked a series of videos detailing a single continous plot in the Alien universe that occured over 100 comic issues.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Plutonis posted:

I'm honestly surprised that Hollywood has enough restraint for not linking the Thing with the AvP universe by saying that The Thing was a byproduct of the Prometheus Black Goo

Good news! John Carpenter says it's actually part of the Cthulhu mythos, along with Mouth of Madness and I think Prince of Darkness?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

grassy gnoll posted:

Good news! John Carpenter says it's actually part of the Cthulhu mythos, along with Mouth of Madness and I think Prince of Darkness?
I really liked ~25% of the mouth of madness

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

That's good because the Apocalypse Trilogy owns

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

I really liked ~25% of the mouth of madness

This is a tragedy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Wrestlepig posted:

Deniable Assets. I think the kickstarter is still going.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rutskarn/deniable-assets-the-cybercorporate-villain-rpg

I'm backing it, it looks real good.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Covok posted:

I just linked a series of videos detailing a single continous plot in the Alien universe that occured over 100 comic issues.

I'm aware. Wasn't that the second time it was posted in this thread as well?

But since people ignored that I was pointing out that the Ripley movies are just a high lethality game with a GM NPC that never dies. And even when she dies comes back.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LatwPIAT posted:

It's Eclipse Phase but libertarian goldbug without any of the world building depth, written by an author completely unwilling to contemplate any form of transhumanism that actually changes anything.
There seem to be two kinds of "transhuman" games. The first kind is unwilling to be political, so their imagined future is just a bunch of ludicrous fandoms. The second kind is willing to be political, and their politics are some ludicrous flavour of libertarian.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Heck, now I'm backing it as well.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

There seem to be two kinds of "transhuman" games. The first kind is unwilling to be political, so their imagined future is just a bunch of ludicrous fandoms. The second kind is willing to be political, and their politics are some ludicrous flavour of libertarian.

My experience with people who are super into trans humanism Url has taught me that they are also reactionaries in disguise as 'apolitical' anime and video game turbofans

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Whoof, the deniable assets Kickstarter has way too many stretch goals for the money it brought in

60 bucks to add a playbook?????

What is this man doing this is not going to work

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Covok posted:

It uses the engine from Mutant: Year Zero. Is that game any good?

It cannot possibly be worse than the old Aliens RPG system, which ISTR was the Phoenix Command system.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Neopie posted:

Whoof, the deniable assets Kickstarter has way too many stretch goals for the money it brought in

60 bucks to add a playbook?????

What is this man doing this is not going to work
I think it helps that he seems to be planning this to be an electronic-only thing - no print copies at all - which means that in principle he can put out rough versions of stretch goals as fast as he can write them.

There's a cap on the 60 bucks to add a playbook pledge of 20 and only 9 people have taken it up so far too, which will help.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Halloween Jack posted:

Eclipse Phase is pretty openly anarchist, I thought? And like, left-anarchist, the primary human villains are megacorporations and capitalists, while Firewall is a horizontal organization of concerned citizens barely preventing the end of the world repeatedly? But, to be clear, I've learned this via a friend who's a fan of EP's setting, not by reading the books myself.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 29, 2019

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Covok posted:

What people want out of an Alien RPG is not weird comic book Earth Wars stuff, it's an RPG for playing tabletop Alien or Aliens.

The problem is that Alien and Aliens are two very different games.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's not as if there isn't a whole subgenre of sci-fi horror RPGs to pick and choose from for all your Alien, Event Horizon, and Dead Space needs. Whatever form the game takes, it will suceed or fail based on the brand name.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lemon-Lime posted:

What people want out of an Alien RPG is not weird comic book Earth Wars stuff, it's an RPG for playing tabletop Alien or Aliens.

alien wouldn't work very well for an ongoing campaign with a full table, you'd already need to make concessions that made it more like aliens or the comics, or the cool Capcom game where you could play as a predator or the lady with a pistol and katana
but I'm already tilting my hand as to which I'd wanna play, aren't I?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My beef with Aliens is that you could run it in any already existing generic SF RPG system. It's a bog-standard corporate-dystopian SF setting, which you could perfectly replicate with Traveller or GURPS Space or any other similar system - the only unique element is the xenomorph and that's, what, a couple of pages of rules and templates to cover it?

So the game will be yet another semi-playtested 300 page rulebook with grenade scatter diagrams and different colonial marine speciality skillpaths and skill lists with "Pilot (Power Loader)" on them.

Joy.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

So, it seems a "Dyskami Publishing" has licensed BESM from White Wolf to bring everyone a 4th edition.

Dyskami is Mark Mackinnon's company, which he has been using to reestablish himself in the gaming industry, mostly with board games and dice games.

There are still freelancers he never paid back from Guardians of Order's collapse, and I don't think there's been anything new about the Nobilis 2e stock that disappeared. Oh, and how could I forget the Game of Thrones supplement he kept taking preorders for well after it was clear everything was falling to poo poo just so he could limp along without delivering product instead of declaring bankruptcy?

Don't buy BESM 4th Edition.

EDIT: lol

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 29, 2019

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lemon-Lime posted:

They want a tabletop for either being stalked by a single Alien or a game where they're shooting lots of aliens? Like on an Alien infested Earth?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

Eclipse Phase is pretty openly anarchist, I thought? And like, left-anarchist, the primary human villains are megacorporations and capitalists, while Firewall is a horizontal organization of concerned citizens barely preventing the end of the world repeatedly? But, to be clear, I've learned this via a friend who's a fan of EP's setting, not by reading the books myself.

Also, the only right-wing organization is a bunch of backwards, reactionary facists who ignore life saving medicine because "LIBERALS" and do poo poo like name ships the USS WATCH-BEN-SHARPIO-TOTALLY-OWN-THIS-TRANSHUMAN-SCUM.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
On the subject of Alien/s RPG chat, Cam Banks just revealed that he's the editor.

He seemed weirdly defensive about it when the news first dropped, so now we know why!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

That Old Tree posted:

"Dyskami Publishing"

This Scammy Publishing

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm harder on Eclipse Phase than I should be, because at first glance I didn't find any of the factions appealing. I don't demand that a game explicitly share my political point of view, just that it actually understands politics if it purports to deal with political themes and topics. The bigger offenders are games like Sufficiently Advanced where people can fathom being a polyamorous psychic cyborg squid, but not an existence that doesn't hinge on people living under corporations and defining themselves through consumer trends.

FMguru posted:

My beef with Aliens is that you could run it in any already existing generic SF RPG system. It's a bog-standard corporate-dystopian SF setting, which you could perfectly replicate with Traveller or GURPS Space or any other similar system - the only unique element is the xenomorph and that's, what, a couple of pages of rules and templates to cover it?
I mean not only can you run it in a more-or-less generic system like Traveller, if someone said to me that they want to run an Aliens game, I'd immediately start asking them questions about what they want out of the ruleset. Because if you want cosmic horror and creepy crawlies in your SFRPG, you've got Cold & Dark and Shadows Over Soul, Eldritch Skies or The Void if you want it specifically Lovecraftian, Mothership if you want to go rules-lighter, and Fragged Empire in "survival horror" mode if you want it to be a tactical game with modern design sensibilities...and that's just off the top of my head.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 30, 2019

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Joe Slowboat posted:

Eclipse Phase is left-anarchist and frankly it could stand to be a little less left-anarchist, because while I'm very sympathetic to the left-anarchist cause, "Half of everyone alive live in territories past the orbit of Saturn, which are perfect societies where everyone has all their needs met and without capitalism, nobody fights" just doesn't make for a very playable game.

It could also spend less time trying to sell the reader on left-anarchism, because, again, while I am sympathetic to the cause, every page spent on explaining the early victories 19th Century anarchism is a page not spent on giving me more stuff I can shoot at with my laser gun.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Alternately, lean into the gimmick. My best Eclipse Phase character was a former Titanian Marine. He was okay at zero-gee maneuvering, really good at The Discourse and being obnoxious, and in the first boss combat of the game he got shot in the head and died, round two. It was amazing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

Eclipse Phase is left-anarchist and frankly it could stand to be a little less left-anarchist, because while I'm very sympathetic to the left-anarchist cause, "Half of everyone alive live in territories past the orbit of Saturn, which are perfect societies where everyone has all their needs met and without capitalism, nobody fights" just doesn't make for a very playable game.

It could also spend less time trying to sell the reader on left-anarchism, because, again, while I am sympathetic to the cause, every page spent on explaining the early victories 19th Century anarchism is a page not spent on giving me more stuff I can shoot at with my laser gun.

And I know this is cute coming from me, if anyone knows my political discourse on this place, but it could be better at actually trying to present the issue from both sides. Because, portrayal of the jovians is so over-the-top that I had trouble viewing them as remotely realistic... until recently.

Though, it might have to do with the fact that Eclipse phase transhumanism is flawed. I mean, as one of my friends put it, all they really found a way to do is copy and paste a mind, not actually immortality. And, when you really think about it, the argument that the Mind transfer process is a prolong suicide ritual is not an insane notion to have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

Alternately, lean into the gimmick. My best Eclipse Phase character was a former Titanian Marine. He was okay at zero-gee maneuvering, really good at The Discourse and being obnoxious, and in the first boss combat of the game he got shot in the head and died, round two. It was amazing.

That's fun, I quite liked the way the core book set things up so all these marginal political ideologies were given prominence and a playing field, so you could really get in an explore it. But you can do that without making the anarchists smug paragons of righteousness and leaving half the solar system without playable conflicts.