Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
I've done a couple smaller tournaments (4h scheduled, fewer than 20 entrants) at Gencon and enjoyed them both immensely. I just look at them as an excuse to play a lot of a game I like with new people. I even had fun at the tournament where I lost all but one game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

OB_Juan posted:

Since I'm summoned....

We used to run the Paranoia LARP at Megacon. The way we did it, we had so many people con staff asked us to run a second larp every year to justify the number of free badges we got.

One of the games we ran as our "B-LARP" was a Dr. Strangelove/Call of Cthulu game.

Imagine the War Room scene, but in addition to what was already going on, we added a bunch of Mythos stuff to the situation. Cultists, Agents, and beings of unfathomable purpose masquerading as various generals and ministers advising the President while the situation outside got worse and worse.

I've kicked around the idea of running an evening goon (or goon-adjacent) only run of this one of these years.

This needs to happen.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

My entire crew would probably be mad down for Cultist Strangelove larp for real

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

I will be going to GenCon for the first time this year since I recently moved to Indianapolis. I do work close by, and am debating if I should take Thur/Fri off, or just go in the evenings and Saturday. Regardless of what I choose, I hope to meet some fellow goons and lose many a games to them.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Definitely take off. At least for Friday if you're tight on days.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Yoda posted:

I will be going to GenCon for the first time this year since I recently moved to Indianapolis. I do work close by, and am debating if I should take Thur/Fri off, or just go in the evenings and Saturday. Regardless of what I choose, I hope to meet some fellow goons and lose many a games to them.

Take the days off. 100%

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

We start Wednesday.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
It only grows from there. I now get in Tuesday and dont leave till monday.

Yoda
Dec 11, 2003

A Jedi I am

I can really easily take half days, taking full days presents more challenge but is theoretically doable. Luckily I dont have to make the decision until like two weeks before, and I'll be getting the 4 day badge regardless.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Things don't start till 10am, and especially on Thursday the hall is ridonculous until the afternoon, so if half days are better than nothing.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Yoda posted:

I will be going to GenCon for the first time this year since I recently moved to Indianapolis.

Do all the days you are able if you can. Local squad rep

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Yoda posted:

WELCOME YODA

Yeah, the good news is even if you cannot easily take those days off there will definitely be Goonanigans by Wednesday, as Ego Trip said, and probably Tuesday, as Nesbit37 said. I might be checking out Doughnuts and Dragons by Monday. And possibly the party begins sometime in June, if I go see my relatives in Columbus as an excuse to attend Origins and have no choice but to stop in Indianapolis en route, and then just move there permanently

Someone run a Goon game of simultaneous 4th and 5th Edition with a chaser of whatever the hell Pathfinder 2.0 is so I can finally have played all of those dumb things

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I think I got in like 1pm wednesday last year and sort of regretted not taking the much earlier flight just to get in at 11am

Staying till monday was an excellent move though, sunday night was very fun and relaxing, and it was amusing to see gamers still tucked into bolt holes rolling dice on monday morning, and gaming in the airport. Missed the eclipse though.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Someone run a Goon game of simultaneous 4th and 5th Edition with a chaser of whatever the hell Pathfinder 2.0 is so I can finally have played all of those dumb things

If you weirdos want to play in a game as a bunch of demented rabbits let me know and I can maybe make that happen with the new Bunnies & Burrows edition. Pretty sure its the same thing as D&D 4e, 5e, and Pathfinder 2.0 rolled into one with a dash of OD&D thrown in for spice.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

nesbit37 posted:

If you weirdos want to play in a game as a bunch of demented rabbits let me know and I can maybe make that happen with the new Bunnies & Burrows edition. Pretty sure its the same thing as D&D 4e, 5e, and Pathfinder 2.0 rolled into one with a dash of OD&D thrown in for spice.

Would anyone want to play Pugmire? It's later editions of d&d, but you play as dogs (and sometimes cats).

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Yoda posted:

Take the days off if you can. While not as intense and Saturday, we have a lot of fun the whole time starting with the official Goon kick-off event: Shots Wednesday.

Local crew represent

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
As I was getting excited about Gen-Con this year (well, O.K., I have been getting excited for about four months already), I envisioned what my day might be like, and was thinking I could possibly make my life easier by having all my non-Goon meals of expensive cheese and meat trays or something delivered to me wherever I was via Doordash or Amazon Prime Now or something, and whether Uber might be easier than driving myself for the few (expensive) things I need to do outside the Convention Center area.

And yes I know the injustices I am discussing basically pale in comparison to the, like, daily actions of the ultrawealthy, but I just wonder how many years it will be until the average Gen-Con attendee makes like 10x the national median salary and most people attending a convention dedicated to leisure have all their needs met by a veritable army of minimum-wage underlings who do not even have time in their own lives to play games

... GEN-CON!!! WOOOOO :) :) :) :(

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I can't imagine getting food delivered to you at Gen Con is a good idea. Actually, isn't it against the convention center rules? The hotels would be different I guess, but I know when we do that even at Gary Con it takes forever and has problems. I'm always terrified some random grognard is going to just take our pizzas.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

I can't imagine getting food delivered to you at Gen Con is a good idea. Actually, isn't it against the convention center rules? The hotels would be different I guess, but I know when we do that even at Gary Con it takes forever and has problems. I'm always terrified some random grognard is going to just take our pizzas.
That is a very reasonable fear, and yeah it is explicitly forbidden at the center itself, but I envisioned doing it more at hotels during downtime or to my off-site late-night game anyway. As long as you can exploit some struggling Indianapoles there is no wrong way

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

That is a very reasonable fear, and yeah it is explicitly forbidden at the center itself, but I envisioned doing it more at hotels during downtime or to my off-site late-night game anyway. As long as you can exploit some struggling Indianapoles there is no wrong way

I know last year the Sunday eight-player Fiasco game had Toppers delivered to one of the JW ballrooms

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

If you’re gonna get food delivered, you should do Clustertruck! They have a ton of options and types of food. My friends and I use it a lot to get dinner delivered to us when we’re back out our “home base” for the evenings and don’t want to take a break from playing games/drinking.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I forgot all about Clustertruck. I haven't used them myself but I know Nellie raves about them.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Maigius posted:

I know last year the Sunday eight-player Fiasco game had Toppers delivered to one of the JW ballrooms

God bless my partner for putting up with that.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Id there a thread or anything for Origins? I won't be a Gen Con this year, but am planning on Origins and was just curious.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

enigmahfc posted:

Id there a thread or anything for Origins? I won't be a Gen Con this year, but am planning on Origins and was just curious.

Dunno but I'm going to Origins too and totally excited about it.

Erainor
Dec 30, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Nice to meet everyone. I’ll be attending for the first time with my girlfriend Maigius. Looking forward to it!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I shall also be at Origins.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

God bless my partner for putting up with that.

:emptyquote:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Erainor posted:

Nice to meet everyone. I’ll be attending for the first time with my girlfriend Maigius. Looking forward to it!

shots shots shots shots

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

Deviant posted:

shots shots shots shots

:emptyquote:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I would be happy to see an Origins thread; it comes up at least briefly in this thread every year, and if it had its own home it would certainly make more chatter.

Plus I am as usual scheming to convince my family to visit our Columbus-based relatives then as an excuse to be there but not actually have to spend four straight days at Origins

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Gencon teasing the announcement of something on Friday.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Finally adding "games" to the convention; I have long thought this would be a good move.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
My newbie friend asked me when gencon event registration was, and the first google hit was the 2017 date: Sunday May 6th, which almost gave me heart attack that I was gonna have to corral my new group into picking stuff ASAP.

Then I realized this thread hadn't blown up and that couldn't possibly be true, phew! It's May 19th, so hopefully the event list comes out this weekend?

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

If Blood on The Clocktower is there, we should goonrush some times.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ego Trip posted:

If Blood on The Clocktower is there, we should goonrush some times.

With the success of their kickstarter, I'd imagine they'll probably just be ticketed this year. (Then again, they may have been ticketed last year and most people still just showed up with generics.)

Goddamn I wish the manufacturing wasn't going to take so long; I want to storytell goon games of this.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

M a x posted:

Gencon teasing the announcement of something on Friday.

Might be the list of events. I had some updates to my events yesterday.

They're not approved yet, however.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

CellBlock posted:

With the success of their kickstarter, I'd imagine they'll probably just be ticketed this year. (Then again, they may have been ticketed last year and most people still just showed up with generics.)

Goddamn I wish the manufacturing wasn't going to take so long; I want to storytell goon games of this.

Unless it's delayed, my copy will be there next year.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I love not having to try and schedule around running a seminar anymore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ego Trip posted:

Unless it's delayed, my copy will be there next year.

As will mine, and I’m sure Backno bought one, too.