Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Axle_Stukov posted:

Kaiba should have been a WHM to more accurately represent Stormbloods healing meta.

the artist also did this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's it just me or are the 60-70 BLM story quests like, super overtuned? I can definitely complete them but for story quests I'm used to the game making them pretty brainless but even with entirely up to date gear I usually can barely eke out a win on those fights.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

It's it just me or are the 60-70 BLM story quests like, super overtuned? I can definitely complete them but for story quests I'm used to the game making them pretty brainless but even with entirely up to date gear I usually can barely eke out a win on those fights.

Some job quests are noticeably harder than others, but I wouldn't call them overtuned - they can occasionally feel that way if you attempt them in lower end gear (doesn't seem to be your problem) or if you don't follow the intended execution (ignore a certain kill order/adds eg., or eat attacks you're supposed to avoid), but :gitgud: helps most of the time. Don't hesitate to ask (in /fc or elsewhere) if a particular quest is a problem.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

It's not even the fights with mechanics, it's just like... trash doing so much damage that I usually scrape by at < 10% hp when I finally drop them.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I finally managed to get all my classes to 70. I would say my mains are WHM/WAR/RDM though I am really interested in what they do with DRK and MCH. If Dancer is fun to play I wouldn't mind switching to that for my DPS class either.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

It's not even the fights with mechanics, it's just like... trash doing so much damage that I usually scrape by at < 10% hp when I finally drop them.

Did you try sleeping them? :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SirSamVimes posted:

The Tsukuyomi fight made me feel emotions.

:same: It's the only way things could really have gone for the lady at this point but drat she got a raw fucker of a deal all throughout :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I ran Tsukuyomi and Suzaku during the same session. It was a bad idea and left me with a bad case of the sadbrains. :(

At least sadbird gets a happy (if bittersweet) ending at the end of that quest chain :unsmith:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Glagha posted:

There's a couple of class fights that depend on you using effects like Sleep or Bind that you probably haven't used in years. The level 65 WHM quest has a gargoyle that will absolutely clobber you if you aren't at max health and sitting on a Benison, so it's best to use Fluid Aura or Repose to keep him at range.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The Seiryu Spine DRK sword looks so cool! But my DRK is only ilvl 368 and I’ve never cleared an EX primal before. I do have my SCH at 381. For people that have done the EX primal totem grind, should I gear up my DRK and hope for a drop, or grind 10 totems?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'd been bouncing around trying to decide whether to level WHM or AST next and realized I hadn't really considered SCH, which was also the first job I ever got to 50 back in ARR.

Man, I forgot how much I like SCH. I think I've made my healer choice. The combination of shields, cool damage reduction stuff, Shadow Flare, and all that sweet, sweet oGCD healing has me really enjoying it. Plus it's nice having actual AoE really early on thanks to Bane.

And, hey, books are cool.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

brainwrinkle posted:

The Seiryu Spine DRK sword looks so cool! But my DRK is only ilvl 368 and I’ve never cleared an EX primal before. I do have my SCH at 381. For people that have done the EX primal totem grind, should I gear up my DRK and hope for a drop, or grind 10 totems?

Seiryu is relatively easy as ex primals go, aside from the end-of-expansion ilvl requirement meaning you can't just ignore mechanics. I'd say go with whichever job you enjoy more, and if you want to go as Scholar you could ask ahead of time if you can get the drk sword if it drops. Worst case, you get it in 10 runs anyway.

If you've never tanked an ex primal or savage raid before and want to try it on drk, you may want to study up a bit so you understand how tank swaps work (does Seiryu even have a tank swap? I forget) and understand holding onto defense actions to survive tank busters is actually important. No time like the present to learn though and there's a lot worse fights to learn how to tank than Seiryu Ex. My first experience with raid tanking was pre-nerf A3S. It was pretty intense and not necessarily in a good way.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Thundarr posted:

(does Seiryu even have a tank swap? I forget)

yeah; it's a pretty easy one but it does crop up at least three times with some of them being double tank swaps due to his whole "double up" mechanic in the latter half

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Harrow posted:

I'd been bouncing around trying to decide whether to level WHM or AST next and realized I hadn't really considered SCH, which was also the first job I ever got to 50 back in ARR.

Man, I forgot how much I like SCH. I think I've made my healer choice. The combination of shields, cool damage reduction stuff, Shadow Flare, and all that sweet, sweet oGCD healing has me really enjoying it. Plus it's nice having actual AoE really early on thanks to Bane.

And, hey, books are cool.

SCH is still great, but it's hard to give up how good AST feels to play now. Even SCH has times where you're stuck on the run spamming Ruin II, but AST can effectively keep casting Malefic until the cows come home. I still play SCH if I do LLDR with the healer bonus, but I've essentially abandoned it until I see what ShB looks like for both classes.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I did 8 frontlines in a row last night and won zero of them. Is this normal and how do I get good

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
It is never normal to do 8 frontlines.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

ArtIsResistance posted:

I did 8 frontlines in a row last night and won zero of them. Is this normal and how do I get good

:hf:

The one with the spawning shatter nodes in the middle is the loving worst. Always goes max time.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

ArtIsResistance posted:

I'm 0 for 6 this week if that makes you feel any better.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

ArtIsResistance posted:

72 man frontlines is essentially a crapshoot. Capture is the only one without significant RNG elements, but the 1v1v1 nature of each frontline means that there's always a percentage chance that both opposing teams decide to take all of your bases, and fight an ugly brawl on your doorstep. There's also no guarantee that you aren't being faced up against premades, who can coordinate things like adrenaline bursts much more easily. 24 man frontlines has more ways to sway it, but it's rarer to get now that people are swarming frontlines for the Garo stuff.

There are some things you can do to increase your odds of winning. Good healers are usually in short supply, and either an AST or WHM can keep people alive for a frustratingly long time and mitigate the number of points you lose to deaths. WAR is also godly in frontlines due to Holmgang's ability to single out a target, allowing you to snipe out healers in groups. If you get a feel for how the maps are supposed to play out, you can also do some shotcalling; while it's not guaranteed everyone's listening, you can usually get enough people swerving somewhere that the rest of the mob will follow. You can also bind a target maker to a key and hit that on whoever's closest, as it'll draw people's attention enough that you can usually get sufficient fire to take people down. Realistically, though, you just have to grind it out and accept the 33% average winrate over time.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 29, 2019

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I need guidance: Can anybody who plays DRG on controller show their hotbars? I'm trying to learn them because melee classes in this game give me a headache on KBM but I'm struggling to find some settings that flow naturally.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Have there been any plans to introduce harder 4-man content? I'd kinda like to have content to do with my small group of buds

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Lotta low combat ilvls itt.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Pierson posted:

I need guidance: Can anybody who plays DRG on controller show their hotbars? I'm trying to learn them because melee classes in this game give me a headache on KBM but I'm struggling to find some settings that flow naturally.

I'll try to remember to take a screenshot of mine tonight.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I’ll generally do frontline roulette everyday but I usually will only do additional matches if it’s Seal Rock. The others are just not fun and have a tendency to go on way too long.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Impermanent posted:

Have there been any plans to introduce harder 4-man content? I'd kinda like to have content to do with my small group of buds

Not really. They seem satisfied with PotD/HoH being the hard content for 4 people.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What are the hard forms of PotD/HoH like, I've never bothered to match up for them

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Zack Ater posted:

I'll try to remember to take a screenshot of mine tonight.
Thanks man. SAM feels really good on controller but I wanna try out the jumping bastard class that dies a lot.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

People really shouldn't be trying to learn jobs except at an aesthetic level when they're probably all going to get sent to hell in a couple months anyway, IMO.

Ciaphas posted:

What are the hard forms of PotD/HoH like, I've never bothered to match up for them

Too long but otherwise easy. It just exercises mechanics that this game goes out of its way to avoid otherwise, like handling patrols, crowd control, consumables, and consequences for failure. This is often mistaken as being hard.

Bleu fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 29, 2019

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Bleu posted:

People really shouldn't be trying to learn jobs except at an aesthetic level when they're probably all going to get sent to hell in a couple months anyway, IMO.

This. The fact that all of their promised job changes consist of nerfs (RIP WAR and SCH I guess) or simplification (of WHM of all things) makes me more than a little worried. They usually fix things after a patch cycle when all the raiders threaten to go back to WoW or whatever, but I have a distinctly bad feeling about how 5.00 is actually going to play

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Warrior is perfect and shouldn't be changed. In fact it should be the template on how to rescue something from the garbage and turn it into the pinnacle of fun functional class fantasy.

RIP indeed if they gently caress with it.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
A lot of classes are the best they've ever been right now and I'm concerned if they touch them they'll ruin them. :ohdear:

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Hra Mormo posted:

A lot of classes are the best they've ever been right now and I'm concerned if they touch them they'll ruin them. :ohdear:

WAR, BLM, BRD, SAM, DRG, RDM, SMN, AST, SCH are all in really good spots imo

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
At least you don't have to level a new character from scratch in FFXIV if your class starts to suck for a bit.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

BrightWing posted:

WAR, BLM, BRD, SAM, DRG, RDM, SMN, AST, SCH are all in really good spots imo

Yeah I really love DRG right now and I'm really hoping they don't fundamentally change it. I want them to change the tether somehow, it's too clunky atm; and I want some way to keep Blood going indefinitely between pulls / during downtime (and monk should also get something similar for GL.)

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Touch nothing with scholar except giving us an adlo crit on demand button and, I don't know, give Selene AST-level balance buffs I guess.

Nothing else I already have 1000 buttons and a deep sense of satisfaction AFKing while my fairy solos.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I'd be fine with no new stuff next expansion except replacing abilities with better versions or in very few cases, combine some stuff.

We got all the class gimmicks we can handle at the moment. Work on the weak ones and make them as neat as the above list.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I remember being very frustrated at the SCH/SMN nerfs in 4.0, but now the class feels great again. I suspect balance on expansion release is always going to be a bit hosed.

That's why you have multiple classes at level cap!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I say shake things up and try new things, playing the same stuff for 4 years or whatever would get old even if it works well.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Givin posted:

Warrior is perfect and shouldn't be changed. In fact it should be the template on how to rescue something from the garbage and turn it into the pinnacle of fun functional class fantasy.

RIP indeed if they gently caress with it.

warrior hasnt been in the garbage since 2.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Less than a month to get an inkling about how irrevocably they've ruined all the jobs.