Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Hellsau posted:

also Trevor Humphries was doing a far more blatant version of that, forcing opponents to mulligan multiple times by thumbing multiple cards to the top while keeping the top chunk of the deck stable. His rant after being banned about Underground Dojo Keyboard Cagefighters was excellent:

still not sure

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

ilmucche posted:

Did he ever consider not cheating as a way to avoid a ban?

Look, if you're not shootin all the angles, you honestly don't want to win.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Why does cranial plating have BB, attach to creature and also 1, equip?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Instant speed vs sorcery speed

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Equip is sorcery speed, the other is instant

efb

shit is weak
May 17, 2008

Slaw doggin' it

ilmucche posted:

So you can equip at instant speed, say during combat.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ilmucche posted:

It was part of a cycle with instant speed CC equip. It was the only one that was any good.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

TacoNight posted:

Saheeli is great if you have cards to trigger her. Get servos, block, then make one of them copy something evasive to help close out the game.

Saheeli has to be built around and needs to be in the blue/red spell matters archetype. The other planeswalkers are just flat auto includes

admanb posted:

Maybe if everything at uncommon and above is a bomb... they're not actually bombs and it's just a very powerful format.

Except a lot uncommons and rares are pretty bad. So no?

anglachel fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 29, 2019

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

poo poo is weak posted:

So you can equip at instant speed, say during combat.

In particular in response to blocks or removal to keep pressuring their life total or trading up.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Kurieg posted:

It was part of a cycle with instant speed CC equip. It was the only one that was any good.

The White and Green ones are great limited cards.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

The White and Green ones are great limited cards.

This was also back in the damage on the stack days, so you could do weird combat tricks with the instant speed part of them.

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010
lol a 4/4 Menace for 5 is not a bomb and Massacre Girl barely ever triggers in limited. There aren't very many X/1's and proliferate puts the board out of range very quickly.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

ChromiumCrush posted:

lol a 4/4 Menace for 5 is not a bomb and Massacre Girl barely ever triggers in limited. There aren't very many X/1's and proliferate puts the board out of range very quickly.

I mean, it's not always wrath of god attached to a 4/4, but it still is plenty of the time and it's definitely a bomb.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Hellsau posted:

also Trevor Humphries was doing a far more blatant version of that, forcing opponents to mulligan multiple times by thumbing multiple cards to the top while keeping the top chunk of the deck stable. His rant after being banned about Underground Dojo Keyboard Cagefighters was excellent:

still not sure
I looked him up and the second half of this video is intense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0zYMAhp570

Just outright looking through his opponent's deck to stack the top.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

ChromiumCrush posted:

Except she can kill a whole lot more than 1/1s. You realize she triggers off your own dudes too right? And it's trivially easy to get a 1/1 of your own to make her go off.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ChromiumCrush posted:

every time i drew massacre girl it was a board wipe and there were several times i was desperately hoping to draw it to get that board wipe but did not. you need only a single x/1 on the board, as soon as that dies it's basically guaranteed everything else is dying.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Also dropping it post combat gives you more options.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I just watched Mike Sigrist streaming cast it on a board of 6 creatures after pivoting to take it in Pack 2 with 0 other black cards, and it was wrath of god attached to a 4/4. There were no 1/1s on the board and the opponent made a block that enabled it, but he could have triggered it himself with the 2/3 that sacrifices a creature or planeswalker to draw a card.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
gotta strenuously disagree about ashiok, he violates the rule about affecting the board state but absolutely demands answer in a way that something like the wanderer does not. Clog up the board on turns 2-3, resolve him turn 4 and start milling

“It’s fine, there’s no guarantee it hits my threats” carries less weight when the card is going to mill 60% of your non-opening hand deck

It’s way more of a problem in practice that it looks as written

Squinky v2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 29, 2019

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Squinky v2.0 posted:

gotta strenuously disagree about ashiok, he violates the rule about affecting the board state but absolutely demands answer in a way that something like the wanderer does not. Clog up the board on turns 2-3, resolve him turn 4 and start milling

“It’s fine, there’s no guarantee it hits my threats” carries less weight when the card is going to mill 60% of your non-opening hand deck

I managed to copy one with the blue copy spell, and enchant it with the thing that makes it come back when it dies/send it back to my hand on 1 loyalty. Mill is fun in limited.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There are plenty of 1/1s with Amass

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Marketing New Brain posted:

I just watched Mike Sigrist streaming cast it on a board of 6 creatures after pivoting to take it in Pack 2 with 0 other black cards, and it was wrath of god attached to a 4/4. There were no 1/1s on the board and the opponent made a block that enabled it, but he could have triggered it himself with the 2/3 that sacrifices a creature or planeswalker to draw a card.

I used massacre girl to kill a god eternal oketra at the pre-release. Opponent was at 5 and had just cast oketra, I swung with a 5/5 menace creature. Opponent blocked with oketra and the 1/3 pump bird so I applied 5 damage to oketra and cast massacre girl, which killed oketra, then both my 1/2’s and my opponents 1/3 leaving me with the 1/5 lifelink and massacre girl.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Ashiok isn't bad if you can get something else to enable him that mills (or have enough proliferate). But a guy who doesnt impact the board isnt typically what you want in limited. It's not that he's bad, it's that he's not an auto include just cause you are playing black or blue.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ChromiumCrush posted:

What the gently caress? Massacre Girl is a 4/4 Menace that you get to setup to wrath the board or better.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

anglachel posted:

So you won when you got a bomb like Massacre Girl? Not sure I see your point that it's totally winnable when you dont have bombs, when your primary example is a pool that did in fact have at least 1 bomb, 4 good planeswalkers for limited, and a removal suite. That kind of backs up my point that it's a "grind till you get your bomb" format.

Massacre Girl is a very strong card but it's not a bomb. Yeah, it can be a board wipe that leaves you ahead but it can also be a dud against a deck with a lot of x/x+1 creatures ( like azorius, selesnya, or Boros in this format). Plenty of the games where I had her I either had to just settle for the body or make a bad trade in order to get her rolling, to say nothing of times when my opponent had a combat trick (sac or bounce their weakest guy to keep her from going off). She's just a strong card in a stronger than average set.

The PWs I had did synergize together well but none of them were as game swinging as something like Bolas, Ugin, Liliana, or Gideon. Those are bombs.

Edit: Gotta agree that Ashiok is much better than it looks. If they can clog up the board long enough to activate it even twice you're in a really bad spot, unless they somehow hit mostly lands.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 29, 2019

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Massacre Girl not a bomb. Okay.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Massacre Girl is better than all commons and uncommons, including Ob Nixilus's Cruelty.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Hellsau posted:

Massacre Girl is better than all commons and uncommons, including Ob Nixilus's Cruelty.

Is massacre girl an elite quarterback in the nfl?

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

anglachel posted:

Ashiok isn't bad if you can get something else to enable him that mills (or have enough proliferate). But a guy who doesnt impact the board isnt typically what you want in limited. It's not that he's bad, it's that he's not an auto include just cause you are playing black or blue.

I get what you’re saying and I would have said the same thing prior to this weekend — mill is basically always a huge trap in limited

but that’s what I’m trying to get at, he has way more impact in practice than it looks on paper

I played an embarrassing amount of sealed this weekend and dude won me more games than any single card. Aid the fallen to get back an ashiok was a snap-concede move a couple times.

Not a card that jumped out to me at all but honestly may have been my personal all around MVP for the last 3 days

Ironically, he pairs extremely well with Dovin, also on your list

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Time posted:

Yes, that's her day job, but her true passion is pseudonymous mayhem.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Squinky v2.0 posted:

I get what you’re saying and I would have said the same thing prior to this weekend — mill is basically always a huge trap in limited

but that’s what I’m trying to get at, he has way more impact in practice than it looks on paper

I played an embarrassing amount of sealed this weekend and dude won me more games than any single card. Aid the fallen to get back an ashiok was a snap-concede move a couple times.

Not a card that jumped out to me at all but honestly may have been my personal all around MVP for the last 3 days

Ironically, he pairs extremely well with Dovin, also on your list

I got stomped by him in a draft (with a Dovin combo with him to boot). My point is that he's a card that you need to make sure you have a couple of other things going to include. Sounds like we are mostly agreeing though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Squinky v2.0 posted:

basically your opponent needs to bet that the game isn't going to turn 14 (or less if they want to draw extra cards), you don't have a second one or a card to retrieve it from your graveyard, or they have to answer it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

anglachel posted:

I got stomped by him in a draft (with a Dovin combo with him to boot). My point is that he's a card that you need to make sure you have a couple of other things going to include. Sounds like we are mostly agreeing though.

you only need a single aid the fallen or kaya's ghostform to get enough mill power to win

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Time posted:

Joe "Massacre Girl" Flacco

Squinky v2.0 posted:

It's a great finisher in an absolute powerhouse control deck with 0 other wincons, or great to board in against a control deck, but it is a 3 mana do nothing/gain 4 vs aggro which will lose you the game. Beatdown is alive and well in this format. It's closer to the mill enchantment from M19 that was a win condition but didn't go in every deck. The uncommon one that triggered off draw not the bomb rare.

evilweasel posted:

basically your opponent needs to bet that the game isn't going to turn 14 (or less if they want to draw extra cards), you don't have a second one or a card to retrieve it from your graveyard, or they have to answer it

I didn't bring it in for that purpose but I had a Teyo I was playing in sealed completely shut off Ashiok.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 29, 2019

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

Joe "Massacre Girl" Flacco

It's a great finisher in an absolute powerhouse control deck with 0 other wincons, or great to board in against a control deck, but it is a 3 mana do nothing/gain 4 vs aggro which will lose you the game. Beatdown is alive and well in this format. It's closer to the mill enchantment from M19 that was a win condition but didn't go in every deck. The uncommon one that triggered off draw not the bomb rare.

What are you drafting for beatdown in this format?

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice

anglachel posted:

Yeah

part of it is that in WAR it seems really easy to create situations where neither side can reasonably touch the other, especially if you set out to create that situation. I think it’s partially why there are so many high impact rares - everyone builds a pillow fort with their planeswalker friends until their opponent lands a god-eternal to break it up

Lots of stray zombie tokens to chump with and few creature cards that can apply heavy pressure turns 1-4. Obviously there are some gross possibilities with proliferating counters or amassing something huge quickly but that feels like the exception here, not the rule

So a card that wins you a game from behind your fortress of efficient commons is better than it might otherwise be, is my guess

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
The Goon MTG discord link on the first page is expired. Is there still a discord up for this? I got a bunch of cards over the last few days and have no idea where to start for a build. The old Brewhaus thread is 2 years old and untouched.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017

anglachel posted:

What are you drafting for beatdown in this format?

Green based, very readily GR or GW. Kronch Wrangler is the jumping off point for some pretty reliably fat bodies. T2 Wrangler, T3 Raging Kronch, T4 Bloom Hulk is T5 lethal, and the window for interacting with it without all but the best common removal closes quite quickly. Wrangler and Bloom Hulk are no joke.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

ChromiumCrush posted:

lol then don't be surprised when that card wrecks you in limited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Team modern super league