Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Lobok posted:

Didn't Dark Knight do that a lot too? Except with zooming in slowly rather than panning?

Every Michael Bay movie does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

Can someone explain to me why the camera in Avengers: Endgame is always slowly moving to the left or right during dialogue scenes, even when there's no apparent reason for it? Is it meant to make a shot feel more dynamic? Because it was kind of starting to bother me after about half an hour.
There was even an every frame a painting video about this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doaQC-S8de8&t=308s

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Thanks for the explanations. I guess the technique must work effectively if they keep using it, but all it did for me was making me more aware of how uninspired a lot of the compositions looked.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Samuel Clemens posted:

Can someone explain to me why the camera in Avengers: Endgame is always slowly moving to the left or right during dialogue scenes, even when there's no apparent reason for it? Is it meant to make a shot feel more dynamic? Because it was kind of starting to bother me after about half an hour.

Because it's a bad movie.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Deadguy2322 posted:

Careful not to burn yourself on that hot take!

Will do, thanks!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I've put together another letterboxd list, looking for any releases I may have missed: Bideo James, a depressing list of movies about (not based on or documentaries about) video games - and how pathetically they've been handled thus far. Is there a single movie not by Neveldine/Taylor that is remotely good about the recreational activity of playing games? Sports has tons of good movies, how does videogames have none?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Easy Diff posted:

I've put together another letterboxd list, looking for any releases I may have missed: Bideo James, a depressing list of movies about (not based on or documentaries about) video games - and how pathetically they've been handled thus far. Is there a single movie not by Neveldine/Taylor that is remotely good about the recreational activity of playing games? Sports has tons of good movies, how does videogames have none?

Haven't seen it, and I didn't really care for his movie Buzzard, but Joel Potrykus' Relaxer sounds like it captures the essence of gaming

quote:

Inspired by a magazine article about the now-disgraced video game champ Billy Mitchell, Cam comes up with “one more final, ultimate challenge”: beat level 256 of the original Pac-Man. It’s an impossible goal, given that reaching said level triggers one of the most famous bugs in classic arcade gaming—an integer overflow error not unlike the Y2K bug, suggesting some mystical confluences between the end of the game and the end of the world, protracted adolescence and pre-millennial fears, personal meltdown and glitch. Nonetheless, Abbie completely (and surreally) submits himself to the task, partly out of a mistaken belief that he will be rewarded a $100,000 prize. Weeks pass, then months. Per the rules of the challenge, he remains on the couch, dressed only in his undies, eventually acquiring a covering of dried god-knows-what and a beard that gives him an unsubtle resemblance to Leonardo DiCaprio’s Howard Hughes, locked in his screening room in The Aviator. (Quotations of Scorsese movies with alienated, mentally ill protagonists always seem to pop up in Potrykus’ films: Taxi Driver in Buzzard, The King Of Comedy in the earlier Ape.) Having repeatedly failed to get Chuck E. Cheese delivered to his insalubrious digs, he subsists on whatever is within reach. Where the solid waste goes is a question Relaxer leaves up to the audience’s imagination. It’s a big couch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGI0lfavk3E

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Easy Diff posted:

Edge of Tomorrow, in essence at least.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Edge of Tomorrow, in essence at least.

Nah, I want diagetical video game inputs on screen.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Easy Diff posted:

Nah, I want diagetical video game inputs on screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXOjc3b_FZ8

It's literally a Super Street Fighter II cabinet board.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Easy Diff posted:

Yea and why are there so many good war movies but not video game movies? We really do live in a society.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Easy Diff posted:

What about Grandma’s Boy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Not saying it's good but Reign Over Me had a plot about playing Shadow of the Colossus to deal with post-9/11 grief

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What about Grandma’s Boy

Which reminded me of Let’s Be Cops, another stellar depiction of a man casually making a post PS2-era video game by himself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Easy Diff posted:

Hardcore Henry.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not saying it's good but Reign Over Me had a plot about playing Shadow of the Colossus to deal with post-9/11 grief

:psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Have you not seen it? It's actually done fairly well. I tend not to enjoy Adam Sandler in anything, but this is an exception.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Have you not seen it? It's actually done fairly well. I tend not to enjoy Adam Sandler in anything, but this is an exception.

Have you seen Punch-Drunk Love?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

morestuff posted:

Haven't seen it, and I didn't really care for his movie Buzzard, but Joel Potrykus' Relaxer sounds like it captures the essence of gaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGI0lfavk3E

This movie was pretty fun btw, but it'd be a better drunkwatch

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Deadguy2322 posted:

Have you seen Punch-Drunk Love?

Yeah. Reign Over Me stuck with me more. Man, when he finally talks to his in-laws... :smith:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Easy Diff posted:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Yeah. Reign Over Me stuck with me more. Man, when he finally talks to his in-laws... :smith:
Punch-Drunk Love is more twee Anderson bullshit, Funny People is where the real Sandler acting reservoirs lie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

That drat Anderson and his twee There Will Be Blood.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Adam Sandler is insanely underrated. The Waterboy is the 90s Dr Strangelove

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The Wedding Singer was my generation’s Blazing Saddles. Fight me in real life.

Sandler tanked with his Grownups phase. From what I’ve heard his last couple of Netflix movies have been pretty decent.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I enjoyed the Meyerowitz Stories which has him alongside Ben Stiller and Dustin Hoffman.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

Adam Sandler is insanely underrated. The Waterboy is the 90s Dr Strangelove

Krispy Wafer posted:

The Wedding Singer was my generation’s Blazing Saddles. Fight me in real life.

Sandler tanked with his Grownups phase. From what I’ve heard his last couple of Netflix movies have been pretty decent.

You people are insane.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Billy Madison is trash but Happy Gilmore and Wedding Singer absolutely hold up

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Name a better and more clever 90s comedy than Waterboy or Wedding Singer; you cant. Maybe Clerks?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Gremlins 2

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Name a better and more clever 90s comedy than Waterboy or Wedding Singer; you cant. Maybe Clerks?

Galaxy Quest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

I'm concerned and think you should probably get an MRI.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Men in Tights?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

You people are insane.

The guy up there was wondering why there are so many good sports movies compared to video game movies and this is what’s clueing you in?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

how the hell is world famous movie star adam sandler 'underrated' in any sense

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Good Burger

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

A human heart posted:

how the hell is world famous movie star adam sandler 'underrated' in any sense

Honestly, he’s a talented dramatic actor, so he is underrated in that respect.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

You're likely trolling, but to answer you, both/either of the Wayne's World movies.

They're perfect examples of how to do comedies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io0uuzUVay8

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wedding Singer is good.
Funny People is good.
Meyerowitz Stories is good.
Punch-Drunk Love is good.
Reign Over Me is good.

These are Safe Opinions, brought to you by Teriyaki Hairpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Controversial opinion: Spanglish is better than Click.