Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think the dead have been shown to have an endless supply of dudes, they probably could have made a human ladder and scaled the wall easily like they did with Winterfell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

well we have no idea how many soldiers they have left because army sizes have been wildly inconsistent (as well as place sizes and teleporting, but yea). cersei has 20,000 soldiers from the golden company, but how many are left in the lannister army in addition to that? there was enough that jaime was preparing to lead them north last season, so is 20,000 a significant addition? doesn't danaerys control territory that would produce an army hundreds of thousands strong, plus what she brought over (hundreds of thousands more?)?

you could easily still have a significant army left as they were retreating, or them gathering more forces from those left to guard other areas (presumably), and you also get the conflict between jon wanting to preserve his men but also acknowledging letting the white walkers march south is condemning thousands of civilians to death

True, but without her army she's basically just 1 person with a couple of dragons, the "I am the rightful queen bend the knee" bit only works if she can back it up, or if the people believe in her. And "hey we just got overrun by ice zombies and now we're fleeing south" isn't a very good incentive for other houses to send their people off to fight the Lannisters.

The zombie invasion had to be turned back at Winterfell otherwise they can't focus on Cersei as the endgame boss.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

True, but without her army she's basically just 1 person with a couple of dragons, the "I am the rightful queen bend the knee" bit only works if she can back it up, or if the people believe in her. And "hey we just got overrun by ice zombies and now we're fleeing south" isn't a very good incentive for other houses to send their people off to fight the Lannisters.

The zombie invasion had to be turned back at Winterfell otherwise they can't focus on Cersei as the endgame boss.

i expected some sort of tactical withdrawal to save some of their forces to fight another day and then some of the main characters dying to hold the night king off (bran should've died)

i guess my main beef is that this justified everything cersei believed -- that the undead wern't a real threat, that she didn't need to contribute her troops, and that the north would take care of it

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
google says the wall is 700 feet tall, so I guess they could have corpse piled it up after a while but drat with an actual army on top fighting them from a defensive position of strength and advantage that probably wouldn’t go to well for the zombies — especially since the humans could be like setting them on fire the whole time

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

theres lots of ways they could've gotten through the wall -- tunneling under it, climbing over it, breaking through the gates, going around it, using magic (they're loving undead). the problem is that none of these things were made clear / mentioned so it seems dumb

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Jesus just send one zombie with a spoon every day to dig a little tunnel through the wall wherever nobody is looking at the moment

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

i expected some sort of tactical withdrawal to save some of their forces to fight another day and then some of the main characters dying to hold the night king off (bran should've died)

i guess my main beef is that this justified everything cersei believed -- that the undead wern't a real threat, that she didn't need to contribute her troops, and that the north would take care of it

I dunno if she was specifically thinking they're not a threat, but more that whichever side won, they'd be weak enough for her forces to swoop in for cleanup. Isn't that what Jaime tells Dany?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Jesus just send one zombie with a spoon every day to dig a little tunnel through the wall wherever nobody is looking at the moment

they should've devoted 3-4 episodes to the complicated task of the night king creating factories to build ice picks, involving lots of hijinks where he's struggling to teach zombies fine motor skills. would've been a great back door pilot to a comedy themed GOT spinoff.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Waltzing Along posted:

It was a dumb scene because it just led to confusion. You couldn't really see what she was giving Sansa so of course you'd think it was the valerian dagger. But then it wasn't. Because the show is poo poo.

Literally how bad a writer do you have to be to gently caress up a classic chekovs gun

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

this actually justified cersei refusing to march north -- they didn't loving need her

Turns out all they needed was an anime assassin.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
for comparison the empire state building is 1,250 feet so the loving wall is something like 50-60 stories tall lmao what bullshit is this series

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

theres lots of ways they could've gotten through the wall -- tunneling under it, climbing over it, breaking through the gates, going around it, using magic (they're loving undead). the problem is that none of these things were made clear / mentioned so it seems dumb

IIRC in the books, isn't it heavily implied that either Euron or the Night King is in possession of a horn which, when blown, will cause the wall to collapse?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

IIRC in the books, isn't it heavily implied that either Euron or the Night King is in possession of a horn which, when blown, will cause the wall to collapse?

the horn of winter, and yes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Delthalaz posted:

for comparison the empire state building is 1,250 feet so the loving wall is something like 50-60 stories tall lmao what bullshit is this series

I think the show made the wall 700 meters tall.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Arcsquad12 posted:

I think the show made the wall 700 meters tall.

google says 700 feet tall 300 miles wides, and apparently an unimaginable waste of time and effort unless they had a wizard build it or something

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

it was built by giants, bran the builder and the children of the forest 10,000 years earlier (and for some reason society and technology in westeros have not improved in 10,000 years)

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

So what we do here see, is build a two thousand foot high and hundreds to thousands of miles long magic ice wall to seal off the frozen north and it’s unspeakable horrors from the rest of Westeros.

*from the back of the room, shouting* Have you tried stabbing the unspeakable horrors with a small knife???

Imagine if other books dumped their big bads so stupidly.

Cthulhu, an ancient horror of unspeakable power and gravity, ascends from the ocean. The new birthed god slouches towards an apocalypse humanity cannot imagine. Each mighty step pulls evil incarnate further out of the gulf.

Louisiana Hick [racks shotgun]: We don't like your kind around here, boy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Doesn't seem like the Night King had that many dudes all considered. During that panning shot when all the droids deactivated because Arya blew up the control ship it looked like the sum total of the zombie army was inside the walls and only a handful of stragglers were still outdoors.
I guess eight thousand years of zombie hoarding isn't all its cracked up to be if your soldiers turn to dust over the decades.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

the horn of winter, and yes

So probably if they didn't go with "Jon gets a dragon killed beyond the Wall" they probably would have gone with "Cersei sends Euron to blow the horn and let the dead through to take care of her Northmen problem"

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
what's frustrating is that the episode was actually great, it played like a decent zombie movie with characters you already care about.

Great light vs dark life vs death fire vs ice themes and imagery. And then it starts with the dead just rolling everyone.

3/4 It seems like everyone is hosed, both dragons are gone, the hell of war is felt as people are dying without closure. The last scene captures is a woman aging and fading to non existence.

But then like instead everyone is suddenly not dead, the threat is gone and they throw flaming poo poo on everything.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

well euron in the books isn't a dinky pirate dipshit he's chtulhu incarnate, lord of the ironborn, who wears valyrian steel armor, so he's probably not allying with cersei and being her taxi service

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Delthalaz posted:

There was actually a quote from GRRM once where he realized that he made the Wall way too loving big after comparing it to real structures.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

well euron in the books isn't a dinky pirate dipshit he's chtulhu incarnate, lord of the ironborn, who wears valyrian steel armor, so he's probably not allying with cersei and being her taxi service

Yeah they really went too hard with his "I am a badass" shtick, it doesn't really work if the only one constantly talking about how great you are is you, and as a result TV Euron just ends up looking like an arrogant poonhound, but the bad kind of arrogant poonhound unlike Bronn or Tyrion

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
there's an exact moment the episode goes to poo poo. Sansa and Tyrion unexpectedly have perfect closure to both of their stories, have a moment, the music starts... And instead of a desperate attempt to fight and save others and dying in the crypts, they... kinda hide and suddenly no one is dying.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

There was actually a quote from GRRM once where he realized that he made the Wall way too loving big after comparing it to real structures.

I would have loved to see a show where it's faster to take the stairs to the top of the Wall the Mound than the elevator

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

well they completely changed the character so now he's dickbag jack sparrow instead of evil sociopath who has traded his soul for valyrian secrets and is going to crucify everyone in westeros as payment to his dark god

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I would have loved to see a show where it's faster to take the stairs to the top of the Wall the Mound than the elevator

Jeor Mormont makes Sam lose weight by having him run the stairs from the base of the wall to the top.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

theres a real hazard of ice falling off the top of the wall and impaling randoms on the ground, very dangerous

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Yeah show Euron sucks lol

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Also, he has a brother that's probably the coolest character in the books and that dude has a volcano arm that just melts dudes he sacrifices to his fire god for being weak.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'd watch a show about Queen Cersei's constant, daily struggle not to have King Regent Euron executed for various reasons

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I ain’t read no books but I’ve gotta say I like tv Euron because he doesn’t really seem to give a poo poo about any of this nonsense. He’s just in it to bang the queen and have a good time, maybe make some bucks. Hauling rear end getting paid.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
GoT/Hoarders crossover: "We've got mountains of corpses in the crypts and hallways and he just won't let us burn them!"
<Ned cautiously hides his poop bucket>

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't stress enough how awesome the psycho-killer viking Greyjoys of the books are while the show Greyjoys are just lovely pirate taxi drivers.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

i know comparing the books and the show is dumb, but euron is actually the character who has been done the most disservice by the show

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Also, he has a brother that's probably the coolest character in the books and that dude has a volcano arm that just melts dudes he sacrifices to his fire god for being weak.

Wha?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

victarion greyjoy who also murdered his wife after euron raped her

he also originally hosed up his hand because he caught a sword someone through at him blade first. it gets replaced by a volcano arm by a fire priest

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did the wall ever actually keep anyone out? Wildlings crawled over it once or twice for kicks, the Night King waltzed through it the one time he tried, seems like the whole wall deal only worked out to be lovely to a few tribes of folks living north of it.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

victarion greyjoy who also murdered his wife after euron raped her

he also originally hosed up his hand because he caught a sword someone through at him blade first. it gets replaced by a volcano arm by a fire priest

I remember the wife murder and the sword-catching thing but have absolutely zero recollection of a volcano arm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

i know comparing the books and the show is dumb, but euron is actually the character who has been done the most disservice by the show

idk all of the snippets I'm seeing here about him make him seem like poo poo