Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

RabidWeasel posted:

It's mega confusing but wrong culture means that they're part of your culture group but not your primary culture and wrong culture group means what it sounds like.

OK, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So like, for Rome: an Etruscan would be wrong culture, while an Iceni would be wrong culture group? That basically how it goes?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm a monarchy now and I'm not creating any armies automatically (which is good) but I've also got no manpower now (which is bad) so I can't build my own armies.
And I'm suddenly in a civil war. It's really annoying that conquering somewhere can trigger that. I get that I have other unloyal provinces and it's taking me over 33% but there's so little time :-/

Can't it just gently caress off please.

Taear fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 29, 2019

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I think one of the issues people are having regarding tribes is that you inherit clan retinues when the leader dies and the new leader builds his own new stack of dudes. So you have to disband the new troops you don't want. On the plus side this makes it cheap to build all-horse stacks.

And someone was complaining about having a deficit for "maintaining clan retinues he couldn't control". I thought that was odd so I double checked:

Double check that your armies and make sure you don't have a superfluous former clan retinue still on the books.

e: The proper way to use tribal armies is to make all the clan retinues take the heavy losses and just keep your own elite stack somewhere to smack em down if they get uppity. The attrition issue for far-north barbarians is very very real however, you can keep at maximum manpower year round if you play your cards right.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 29, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
here's my epirus save 50 years into the game:

you can chew through greece and southern italy real quick. war exhaustion and aggression penalties are minor and the decay rate is fast. you can easily work around major power guarantees as well by dragging the guaranteed minor powers into third party conflicts.

the speed of this conquest might actually be somewhat historically plausible. but aggression penalties should probably be higher in at least the greek world to reflect the incessant greek concern with freedom and the balance of power.

one big comparative problem (this epirus playthrough vs. earlier seleucid playthrough) is that conquests in the far east earn far more war aggression because of the larger territories that change hands. the high war aggression penalties then create high unrest penalties for non-major culture groups. this meant that taking greater syria as the seleucids almost tore my entire empire apart. whereas taking most of southern italy as epirus created practically zero domestic/international problems. the diadochi did have big problems with the long-term stability of their kingdoms but this isn't very accurately represented by the war aggression/unrest mechanics as presently constituted.

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 30, 2019

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
The impact of wrong culture is maybe a bit too extreme at the moment, in both senses; expanding within your culture group at a crazy speed is absolutely fine but foreign pops will be mega rebellious and have zero happiness if you rack up a fair amount of AE.

Since they're planning on nerfing culture conversion rates a bit in 1.1 I hope that they look at the various happiness penalties associated with cultural differences. The Seleucids are going to be even more crippled otherwise.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

RabidWeasel posted:

Since they're planning on nerfing culture conversion rates a bit in 1.1 I hope that they look at the various happiness penalties associated with cultural differences. The Seleucids are going to be even more crippled otherwise.

The big empires could use a bit of instability tbh. Seleukids sometimes explode, but I've yet to see Maurya ever do anything but expand. They're both Ming, but one is old Mingsplosion Ming and the other is Eternal Technology Wizard Ming.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Zane posted:

here's my epirus save 50 years into the game:

you can chew through greece and southern italy real quick. war exhaustion and aggression penalties are minor and the decay rate is fast. you can easily work around major power guarantees as well by dragging the guaranteed minor powers into third party conflicts.

the speed of this conquest might actually be somewhat historically plausible. but aggression penalties should probably be higher in at least the greek world to reflect the incessant greek concern with freedom and the balance of power.

Erm, is this being presented as an example of excessive growth? I see nothing wrong with this. 50 years is a long time, and I would honestly expect a player to be able to safely conquer most or all of greece and macedonia by this point (minus maybe phyrgia stuff, depending on how strong they are).

edit: I didn't mean this to be a dig or anything. I just don't necessarily see anything wrong with this level of conquest, in a game where you ought to be able to paint the entire map your color in 300 years or so.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 30, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Game is worth $40 imo but I really like these types of things.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

cheesetriangles posted:

Playing as Rome and got real sick of Phrygia and Egypt being allied and also protecting Macedon so I did was what was only natural. Built a giant navy and blocked the strait crossing and proceeded to absolutely trash their armies as I slowly let them trickle across into my waiting armies. I lost about 10k men they lost about 200k and I lost not a single battle.

Oh yeah, I've done this with Vijayanagar in EUIV. Kinda cheap, but fun. Let them march onto Ceylon, kill stack with your giant army hidden on the south end of the island. Hide army again and move fleet into port so their next army crosses over. Move fleet out and repeat as needed.

Welcome to Ceylon....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1_fDwX1VVY

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Erm, is this being presented as an example of excessive growth? I see nothing wrong with this. 50 years is a long time, and I would honestly expect a player to be able to safely conquer most or all of greece and macedonia by this point (minus maybe phyrgia stuff, depending on how strong they are).

edit: I didn't mean this to be a dig or anything. I just don't necessarily see anything wrong with this level of conquest, in a game where you ought to be able to paint the entire map your color in 300 years or so.
i wouldn't actually say too fast necessarily. but historically, in this period: the greeks were obsessed with their independence and hugely concerned by the impending prospect of rome, epirus, macedon, or any of the other successor states, conquering the whole of the greek world. there should ideally be a higher danger of major power or larger coalition conflict in greece and southern italy: of significant interventions under the pretext of 'defending greek liberty' (translation: probably higher aggression penalties). this is what actually historically happened many times. and this is what the existing major power guarantees of independence for the smaller city states are supposed to represent. but, at least as epirus, you can easily go around them and play divide and conquer with little danger of confrontation with rome, macedon, or anyone.

e: it would be better if my aggression were 10 or 20 or something after 50 years of incessantly conquering most of the 'civilized world.' but it's at 0.78.

Zane fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 30, 2019

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

I've got this shitlord in line to be king:

But I'd rather have this guy, who's more popular anyway:

How do I get the 2nd guy on the throne? Somehow kill my primary heir?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Chomp8645 posted:

Sometimes the troop counts are just real funny. Like as Rome I went after one of the tiny, 2-city powers inside the boot. They had 38 cohorts, and they had had that amount raised forever. They had almost no morale though. I'm guessing the AI just sometimes sees "army costing too much, need to reduce", and instead of sensibly disbanding some troops, it just puts it's giant unsustainable stack on low maintenance so their morale tanks and they aren't effective anyway. As for the manpower, I don't know how much two little cities should have but it seems like a lot. May just be standard AI cheats though.

I just fought a war against a tribal kingdom in Lusitania who had 450,000 mean under arms, before mercs. Fortunately I had brought a hundred thousand screaming Scythian murderfuckers along with my own chariot hordes and so it only took three years to conquer them. I had multiple 200k-to-a-side engagements, including one notable one which apparently involved a hundred thousand charioteers. Khadesh eat your heart out.

I’m thinking pop growth needs to chill the gently caress out.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I just fought a war against a tribal kingdom in Lusitania who had 450,000 mean under arms, before mercs. Fortunately I had brought a hundred thousand screaming Scythian murderfuckers along with my own chariot hordes and so it only took three years to conquer them. I had multiple 200k-to-a-side engagements, including one notable one which apparently involved a hundred thousand charioteers. Khadesh eat your heart out.

:allbuttons:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I would agree but on the other hand this sounds like it owned?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Beamed posted:

I would agree but on the other hand this sounds like it owned?

Shuffling stacks back and forth, switching between forced march and reorganisation, was pretty fun for what it was, especially in a stage of a game where I've been conquering mostly on autopilot, but it would have been just have fun if everything was an order of magnitude.

The huge army numbers don't really add anything for me except for, I guess, humour value.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Dang that's a lot of dudes.

Imperator: Barbarossa

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
They need to make tribals settle down into kingdoms more reliably and faster. I only have 1/4 of spain and I'm wandering around with about 100k with a personal retinue of 25k horsemen. Why would I ever civilize when I can just have endless barbarians?
e: Or make them explode into their constituent parts more reliably.
e2: gimme barbarian gavelkind or something. 50% chance a clan just fucks off and form his own country when the ruler dies.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 30, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zurakara posted:

I think one of the issues people are having regarding tribes is that you inherit clan retinues when the leader dies and the new leader builds his own new stack of dudes. So you have to disband the new troops you don't want. On the plus side this makes it cheap to build all-horse stacks.

And someone was complaining about having a deficit for "maintaining clan retinues he couldn't control". I thought that was odd so I double checked:

Double check that your armies and make sure you don't have a superfluous former clan retinue still on the books.

e: The proper way to use tribal armies is to make all the clan retinues take the heavy losses and just keep your own elite stack somewhere to smack em down if they get uppity. The attrition issue for far-north barbarians is very very real however, you can keep at maximum manpower year round if you play your cards right.

At least for me the retinues are huge and expensive as gently caress, I can't afford to have my own. When the clan leaders die their retinue passes to me - but I tend to just fire it straight away because they're going to be making a new retinue really soon! As far as I can tell them doing this doesn't cost manpower so even if you're on like 200 they'll be hiring these armies

It's jarring going from that to suddenly nothing when you stop being a tribe too, I can't make any armies now because I've got no manpower (for now).
Kinda feels like going from a mechanic that completely didn't matter at all to it being mega important.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zurakara posted:

e2: gimme barbarian gavelkind or something. 50% chance a clan just fucks off and form his own country when the ruler dies.

If you don't civilise you can't tag change.
And the whole point of the game is map painting, why make it less fun by doing that?

Gavelkind loving sucks.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

The mana in this drops so painfully slowly. Every time I get excited to do something the game goes "whoops, not so fast - time to sit here for two years first"

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

TTBF posted:

The mana in this drops so painfully slowly. Every time I get excited to do something the game goes "whoops, not so fast - time to sit here for two years first"
scroll mana is really the bottleneck for almost everything your state can consequentially accomplish since it's used for all foreign policies, all government policies, and for manual cultural conversion.

Zane fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Apr 30, 2019

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Taear posted:

At least for me the retinues are huge and expensive as gently caress, I can't afford to have my own.

Clan retinues shouldn't be costing you gold or manpower at all.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Are there any guides available to explain CoA modding? I've been trying to set more pre-scripted flags for formable nations, but the game doesn't seem to accept that anything's changed in the "common/coat_of_arms/00_pre_scripted" file. For example, I add another section for Babylon, but it continues to use the old flag when tag switching from Tylos. Is there another file I'm missing?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Am I blind or is there no way to make the clock display the year in BC? (I know you can mouse over it for this).

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Still in disbelief they shipped without the option to switch your capital city, I sometimes still look for a button even though they said it's to-be-added

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Am I blind or is there no way to make the clock display the year in BC? (I know you can mouse over it for this).

Supposedly ironman compatible mods exist for this. I haven't tried them.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

reignonyourparade posted:

Supposedly ironman compatible mods exist for this. I haven't tried them.

I guess that works but it seems crazy to me that mods are needed for something like "display time in a format normal human beings after familiar with".

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zurakara posted:

The big empires could use a bit of instability tbh. Seleukids sometimes explode, but I've yet to see Maurya ever do anything but expand. They're both Ming, but one is old Mingsplosion Ming and the other is Eternal Technology Wizard Ming.

Maurya is entirely all one culture group which kind of proves my point, I think. The stability of an empire is almost purely dictated by its level of cultural homogenity; large empires could do with a few more problems in exchange for making multicultural ones more stable.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
So let's talk about what looks strange but not broken in your games.

I can see that Maurya barely expands. As others have noted it's also pretty stable.

The most technologically advanced nation in my game is some city-state (later a small power) on the horn of Africa.

The greatest thing we lost from antiquity were cool hats that were worn by everybody north of the Caucasus and east of Dniester.

Unloyal character troops make me a pacifist. They just stand there doing nothing even if there's war. If I lose my troops in the war those guys will start a civil war.

The game would have benefited from the sort of tooltip about you being able to marry your close family in the monarchy. I had to switch to agnatic-cognatic system when it turned out that my family now consists of 4 old women and 2 little girls.

The real popularity boost comes not from winning a war but from gladiatorial fights between imprisoned rulers.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So, how do you get vassals? I mean the kind of vassals that will help you in your wars, I don't care about money or manpower by now as Rome, but I sure wouldn't mind a few extra stacks from vassals. Whenever I go to war, the only CB I can get is the standard "claim" one, not sure if that will let me vassalize an enemy without killing me with AE ?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

TorakFade posted:

So, how do you get vassals? I mean the kind of vassals that will help you in your wars, I don't care about money or manpower by now as Rome, but I sure wouldn't mind a few extra stacks from vassals. Whenever I go to war, the only CB I can get is the standard "claim" one, not sure if that will let me vassalize an enemy without killing me with AE ?

There are 4 sub menus when you sue for peace, provinces, cities, money and subject interaction. You can select feudatory or tributary in there, no matter the CB.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

canepazzo posted:

There are 4 sub menus when you sue for peace, provinces, cities, money and subject interaction. You can select feudatory or tributary in there, no matter the CB.

Funny, I know about the different submenus but I swear that vassalization was not there in my last war. Maybe I did not satisfy some conditions.. ? I was attacking a pretty huge settled tribe so maybe they were too big for vassalization?

Oh well, it doesn't really matter - I still have a few years to go of this game then I'll be waiting for patch 1.0.1 before starting a second one :)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Did anyone post this yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwnJ_2uW7Zg

Makes some good points about how spending points and getting instant results doesn't lend itself to fun strategy.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Yeah i like the game but i agree on that point, instans religous and cultural conversions makes no sense to me at all for example. I would prefer to just be able to use it to boost the chance for a short time, or make it still 100% convert a pop but it takes time for it to go through.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zurakara posted:

Clan retinues shouldn't be costing you gold or manpower at all.

They definitely cost manpower to refill - so say they're 45k and I've nowhere they can stand without attrition (which when you're big is basically always) I'm always ticking down on it and can never build my own stuff.

Noir89 posted:

Yeah i like the game but i agree on that point, instans religous and cultural conversions makes no sense to me at all for example. I would prefer to just be able to use it to boost the chance for a short time, or make it still 100% convert a pop but it takes time for it to go through.

The problem is, like was said earlier, wrong culture causes SO MUCH unhappyness for such a long time that it'd hurt you tonnes and make expansion very hard.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
It's hard to take seriously that video about anti-strategy nature of mana.

Instant spending of mana to get a result doesn't mean there's no planning. Because any big thing requires you to spend a lot of MP. And if you have even a hundred spare MPs then either you're planning to do something with it or you're playing ineffectually. You may redirect those MPs quickly, yes, but then it's mostly a matter of convinience - people don't care if you spend money on building, then cancel it halfway in, get all the money back and spend them on something else. Those instant decisions put decisions in focus instead of boring calculations and microcontrolling stuff. In fact, I'd say that, say, EU4 needs more of those instant things. Edicts look like a thing of the past where it pays to remember when can you turn off the edict as often you don't need it for most of its duration, like with development edict.

In that video I see him having thousands of points stockpiled and that makes me think that this guy doesn't understand strategy at all.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

ilitarist posted:

that makes me think that this guy doesn't understand strategy at all.

uhhh did you miss the part where he quoted sun tzu :agesilaus:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

My civil war had someone else declare war on it. When the peace happened the bits that other side had taken remained theirs.
That's stupid! And something EU4/CK2 definitely avoids. Hell even CK1 avoided that after the beta!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Taear posted:

My civil war had someone else declare war on it. When the peace happened the bits that other side had taken remained theirs.
That's stupid! And something EU4/CK2 definitely avoids. Hell even CK1 avoided that after the beta!

Pretty sure you can declare on/take land from a CK2 revolt.