Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She dies when Arya throws a dagger at her from Winterfell's court yard, ricocheting it off Harrenhal, Casterly Rock, the giant stone dude in Braavos and finally, Jaime's golden hand as he's wiping his bum in the privy Tywin died in. Poetry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Arya takes out the entire golden company in a homage to Yondus arrow rampage in GotG 2 ( Arya is the arrow)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

There's also a bit where she teams up with Rey in The Rise of Skywalker to fight Sheev Palpatine in episode 6, (They reuse the footage of NK dying)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

clown shoes posted:

Cersei dies giving birth to a dwarf.

still counts as jaime in show

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

- Brenn digs up Tywin,s sperms and poisons Cercei with it, fulfilling the prophcy

kater
Nov 16, 2010

still can't believe they made big bad Other look like Ice Joffrey.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Walder Frey achieved more and had a more devastating impact on the Starks than the Night King.

And Walder Frey is only known for being a useless prick.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

edit: whoops wrong thread

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 29, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Just Chamber posted:

This show started out as clearly being about major characters could die at any time, and the likelihood of happy endings was slim to none.

Nothing better emphasizes how far this show has changed than the fact that no one of any importance died in that battle and the NK was offed with no consequence.

Theon and Jorah got good deaths and were in the show from ep1, but yeah they're nowhere near as significant as any of the other leads. Hell Tormund dying probably would get a bigger reaction and he's a secondary character as well.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

For a half a second I thought Brienne actually got murked in the initial charge and that was a real holy poo poo moment for how quickly it happened. That would have created some tension.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

clown shoes posted:

Cersei dies giving birth to a dwarf.

Nah, Qyburn turns the baby into a white walker or she has to sacrifice it to do some other heinous magic bullshit.

e: This would also be why Jaime kills her. That dude won't kill her for anything but sacrificing their last kid to hold onto power through weird hell-magic.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 29, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crimpolioni posted:

For a half a second I thought Brienne actually got murked in the initial charge and that was a real holy poo poo moment for how quickly it happened. That would have created some tension.

I for sure thought Brienne and/or Gendry would die this episode, since they had such big scenes last week. Jaime and Tyrion have to survive to finish off the Lannister plot imho so they were always safe, as well as obvs Sansa, Jon and Dany. Anyone else I could have seen dying tho up to and including Varys, who will die for sure at some point b/c melly sanders said so

e: arya is always safe too b/c gurmwife

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

One of Brienne, Arya and Jaime should have died that episode, but only Jaime of those has his own plot left so not him really. Arya for the big oh gently caress.

Rhaegal should have also died as well, but in a way where he can't be used by the NK, so like Viserion bites his head clean off so he can't 2v1 Drogon.

Theon and Jorah got fitting send offs overall.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Crimpolioni posted:

Brienne spent the whole show getting little 1-2 minute scenes of her bellowing like an Ogre and hacking and whacking zombies.

I will give Gwendoline Christie credit. She acts the hell out of her battle scenes.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

One of Brienne, Arya and Jaime should have died that episode, but only Jaime of those has his own plot left so not him really. Arya for the big oh gently caress.

Rhaegal should have also died as well, but in a way where he can't be used by the NK, so like Viserion bites his head clean off so he can't 2v1 Drogon.

Theon and Jorah got fitting send offs overall.

this is game of thrones. people aren't meant to get fitting send-offs. they are supposed to be crushed horribly in what you think is going to be their hour of triumph. this has become a different, worse show.

and don't you dare give me the whole 'subverting expectations by actually being rote fantasy instead of subverting expectations' excuse

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This is all a fake "happy ending" before everyone dies and Cersei wins

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

god i hope so. honestly she should. the most ruthless takes the crown.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

esperterra posted:

Nah, NK is a show only thing and D&D have been hemmin and hawin over who gets to kill him since deciding a few seasons ago that Jon won't do it.
I'm willing to bet there's a similar character in TWOW, but with a different name. Great Other, perhaps?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Lots of things are heavily implied in the books, but GRRM isn't going to reveal big cosmic truths to his characters. Even Bran, who will know way more than anyone else, isn't gonna get a sit-down with god who then explains that the Faceless Men are correct in worshipping the Many-Faced God who is all other gods combined or anything like that.

I was complaining about this to friends and they’re all like “duh what do you think the prequel is for” and I hate how right they are

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Small White Dragon posted:

I'm willing to bet there's a similar character in TWOW, but with a different name. Great Other, perhaps?

I'd imagine there's def some kind of big bad or ruler of The Others, for sure. But I expect the nonexistant books would have idk explained him and who they are a bit. They're p clearly just another race of otherworldly being ala the CotF, but :shrug: maybe the Children creating them is a book thing, too. If it is I expect it's got some reasoning behind it.

e: didn't the prequel recently get canned or was that #fakenews

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

GRRM has no idea how to tie all of it together, that's why he hasn't done it and probably won't ever

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Chadzok posted:

this is game of thrones. people aren't meant to get fitting send-offs. they are supposed to be crushed horribly in what you think is going to be their hour of triumph. this has become a different, worse show.

and don't you dare give me the whole 'subverting expectations by actually being rote fantasy instead of subverting expectations' excuse

The show (and the books) have that reputation but it's not really earned. How many times has a major character been killed suddenly and undramatically? Maybe the Red Wedding or Ned's execution but what else?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The others won't have a physical leader much like the children of the forest don't have, it's a disembodied hive mind centered within the corrupted weirwood at the heart of winter.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Walder Frey achieved more and had a more devastating impact on the Starks than the Night King.

And Walder Frey is only known for being a useless prick.

To be fair, Walder Frey had best guy Tywins backing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

WrightOfWay posted:

The show (and the books) have that reputation but it's not really earned. How many times has a major character been killed suddenly and undramatically? Maybe the Red Wedding or Ned's execution but what else?

Jaime getting his hand chopped off by some randos was pretty shocking.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

WrightOfWay posted:

eyeball gouge
Tywin toilet
all three Lannister children
loving Renly
Everyone that Cersei exploded

Come on dude there is way more from the books and the early show I can’t be hosed

The point is not to die suddenly and undramatically, but don’t write characters into situations that you’re not willing to follow through with.

The lasting image from this episode for me is useless Tarly, crying and laying in a pile of weights that are trying to kill him, crying as he slays them by the hundreds, crying in fear as the pile of his enemies grows around him

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Small White Dragon posted:

Nah, the Night King is a plot point Weiss and Benioff came up with on their own. They needed a way to resolve the white walker plot line decisively. Martin doesn't know how to do it without trivializing the whole thing. They were a metaphor for climate change, the inevitable doom resulting from past action beyond the control of those today, a sort of original sin. They form a good backdrop for the human struggles and stories, but make for a terrible direct conflict.

E:

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The others won't have a physical leader much like the children of the forest don't have, it's a disembodied hive mind centered within the corrupted weirwood at the heart of winter.

This would make the most sense to me. The First Men chopped down poo poo loads of weirwoods so having the Others be the physical manifestation of the harm to the world and seek to freeze everything and kill all humans would fit thematically.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 29, 2019

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Karl Drogo comes to mind. He was supposed to mount the whole world. Also, Raeghar, who was the ~Prince that was Promised~. Tywin the mastermind. Also, Theon in Winterfell. Then Balon Greyjoy. Lysa Stark. Or Marcella. The show also killed Julien Bashier.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was complaining about this to friends and they’re all like “duh what do you think the prequel is for” and I hate how right they are

This makes so much sense. IRC the spin-off is already in pre-production so they probably wanted to give their show runners a clean slate with the Night Kong( or didn't want to spoiler anything)

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 29, 2019

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Opferwurst posted:

This makes so much sense. IRC the spin-off is already in pre-production so they probably wanted to give their show runners a clean slate with the Night Kong( or didn't want to spoiler anything)

Ah, the Night Kong, the terrifying Ice Ape from the northern wastes. Turns out the Wights are brought in in barrels he throws over walls.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Night Kong said "Trans Wights"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

They were a metaphor for climate change, the inevitable doom resulting from past action beyond the control of those today, a sort of original sin.

People say that a lot, but has Grum ever commented on this interpretation? IRC the first books came out in the 90s when climate change was still a minor concern for most people. And the way the Others/White Walkers are portrayed is also not very consistent with the effects of climate change(more extreme weather, droughts, floods, food insecurity, social instability, accelerated animal and plant extinction, etc.) How are evil ice zombies a good metaphor for that?

e: in the books, there are no signs of the Others being created by the children or hmans or being somehow unnatural in general. There is no "sins of our fathers" element to them there

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 29, 2019

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Opferwurst posted:

People say that a lot, but has Grum ever commented on this interpretation? IRC the first books came out in the 90s when climate change was still a minor concern for most people. And the way the Others/White Walkers are portrayed is also not very consistent with the effects of climate change(more extreme weather, droughts, floods, food insecurity, social instability, accelerated animal and plant extinction, etc.) How are evil ice zombies a good metaphor for that?

I mean, they're a force of nature that threatens to change the patterns of weather in a way that kills people, you can have metaphors or allegory without 100% unqualified parity between the things being compared. it's incredibly obvious

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Opferwurst posted:

e: in the books, there are no signs of the Others being created by the children or hmans or being somehow unnatural in general. There is no "sins of our fathers" element to them there

He has! Not on their cause, specifically, though.

quote:

Manjoo: Many observers have pointed out that “Game of Thrones” offers a perfect metaphor for understanding climate change. What do you think of this interpretation?

Martin: It’s kind of ironic because I started writing “Game of Thrones” all the way back in 1991, long before anybody was talking about climate change. But there is — in a very broad sense — there’s a certain parallel there. And the people in Westeros are fighting their individual battles over power and status and wealth. And those are so distracting them that they’re ignoring the threat of “winter is coming,” which has the potential to destroy all of them and to destroy their world. And there is a great parallel there to, I think, what I see this planet doing here, where we’re fighting our own battles. We’re fighting over issues, important issues, mind you — foreign policy, domestic policy, civil rights, social responsibility, social justice. All of these things are important. But while we’re tearing ourselves apart over this and expending so much energy, there exists this threat of climate change, which, to my mind, is conclusively proved by most of the data and 99.9 percent of the scientific community. And it really has the potential to destroy our world. And we’re ignoring that while we worry about the next election and issues that people are concerned about, like jobs. Jobs are a very important issue, of course. All of these things are important issues. But none of them are important if, like, we’re dead and our cities are under the ocean. So really, climate change should be the number one priority for any politician who is capable of looking past the next election. But unfortunately, there are only a handful of those. We spend 10 times as much energy and thought and debate in the media discussing whether or not N.F.L. players should stand for the national anthem than this threat that’s going to destroy our world.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
they arent, grrm didnt have some broad thematic idea behind any of this. game kf thrones is written as a tv script

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Frog Act posted:

I mean, they're a force of nature that threatens to change the patterns of weather in a way that kills people, you can have metaphors or allegory without 100% unqualified parity between the things being compared. it's incredibly obvious

If it's a metaphor or allegory, it's an incredibly lovely one. The solution to the White Walkers is a united military effort and battle to the last man. The solution to climate change is a huge diplomatic effort, peaceful cooperation and a introspective readjustment of our life styles. The White Walkers are an intelligent, scheming and hateful evil. Climate change is an indifferent, unguided process. And so on.

They work much better as a metaphor for the rise of fascism in the 30s or modern day. Or the the Mongol invasion. Or a billion other things that are not climate change.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Night King is immune to fire because reasons, fine, whatever, but is his armor made out of his skin or something? Why didn't it burn off?

We should have gotten 15 minutes of him wandering Winterfell like an ice-donged Dr. Manhattan, I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the metaphor works because, just like the night king, we can wait until the 11th hour to deal with climate change and the solution is actually simple and straightforward

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Well if grrm sees parallels between the walkers and climate change, that's the one thing. Claiming that he built it as a specific metaphor another. The interview really points towards the former option and it's depending on interpretation, which is fair, I guess.

Only that climate change is wildly harder to kill and won't fall into a boy sitting somewhere trap.

Nutsack Rangoon
Mar 30, 2010

EVERYTHING IS NUMBERED HERE. THE MONSTER IS ZERO.
if we can kill the first smoke stack.. we can kill them all..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Viserys and Quentyn for more seemingly important characters who get killed gruesomely.