Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

30.5 Days posted:

Hmmm how strange that during the cold war, aliens visited us regularly, but now that communism has been defeated, the galaxy wants nothing to do with us.

The Great Filter is capitalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Syncopated posted:

Haven't UFO sightings gone way way down after everybody got camera phones?

It's surprisingly difficult to answer that question.

If you ask civilian organizations like MUFON (lol) they'll say no and point out that they get more reports now than ever. It's probably technically true, but given the relative ease of filing a report now vs. before the internet was ubiquitous, it doesn't likely have any bearing on actual sighting numbers.

Also, it's been a while since the government or military actually took UFO reports. I don't know that it's been officially acknowledged as such, but it's pretty obvious now that the primary reason they ever gave a poo poo was because they thought UFO reporting could potentially detect new Soviet weapons and after the fall of the USSR, they stopped giving a poo poo. One of the more interesting reveals from that NYT piece was that part of the deal that Bigelow made with the military was that they'd direct UFO reports to one of his organizations.

I suspect that they're as common as they ever were, if not moreso, in that the cause of the vast majority of them are natural phenomena that haven't changed and that drones are now way more common than ever and can do some crazy poo poo.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

My favourite ufo story is that a bunch of people in government don't want to investigate them because they think they're demonic.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

"Unlike many Canadians, [Leonard] Cohen is a passionate defender of the American ideal, but the solutions he sees to the country's problems are surprisingly authoritarian- more police on the streets, the censoring of violent television, the application of force. 'At certain times of crisis, like in every other society, extraordinary and emergency measures have to be invoked... The fact is that the predators- at all levels, whether it's Wall Street or the streets- are about to take over."

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

My favourite ufo story is that a bunch of people in government don't want to investigate them because they think they're demonic.

this just means satan is real and we should welcome our satanic extraterrestrial visitors

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

There is a tiny village in NE Germany where a bunch of windmills was supposed to be built, but because everybody there is a total NIMBY the mayor tried to prevent the construction by having a 20m tall pole built where endangered bird species were supposed to nest, thereby making windmills legally impossible.

What they didn't account for was that the meadow right next to said pole belonged to the windmill construction company who immediately went on to set up a 21m tall loudspeaker there that continually loops the sound of motorbikes and barking dogs at deafening volume, lmao

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

System Metternich posted:

There is a tiny village in NE Germany where a bunch of windmills was supposed to be built, but because everybody there is a total NIMBY the mayor tried to prevent the construction by having a 20m tall pole built where endangered bird species were supposed to nest, thereby making windmills legally impossible.

What they didn't account for was that the meadow right next to said pole belonged to the windmill construction company who immediately went on to set up a 21m tall loudspeaker there that continually loops the sound of motorbikes and barking dogs at deafening volume, lmao

holy loly

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

that reminds me of that 2016 poll in like florida that had something like 2% of respondents believing hillary clinton to be a literal demon

and one of the crosstabs had a portion of those people supporting her lol

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

zegermans posted:

ICE opened a hotline to anonymously report immigrants and it was immediately drowned by people reporting space alien sightings

also people reporting melanie trump

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

https://i.imgur.com/CxCQq5t.mp4

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

lol

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

https://youtu.be/abfLDg_7Hjo

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

pro

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

prophetic

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
this weird feud

https://twitter.com/Lavarbigballer/status/938892276863877121

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

it really was incredible how castrated jeb was in the debates vs. big orange. historic.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

I am incredibly ambivalent about this

Wrenever
Jul 22, 2007

Trump very much not on drugs in a brightly light room with camera flashes going off

https://twitter.com/DrGJackBrown/status/1060244660864466944

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hillary Clinton trying to take the subway

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
in 2017 new jersey started adding a blue line to their centerline pavement markings

as a "blue lives matter" thing. this was of course illegal

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
paint over the blue line with red as you sing the internationale

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Taintrunner posted:

Hillary Clinton trying to take the subway

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone have King Ralph, the rat?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Wrenever posted:

Trump very much not on drugs in a brightly light room with camera flashes going off

https://twitter.com/DrGJackBrown/status/1060244660864466944

that press conference was such a loving clown show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZ8ck_7cqk

this is the president

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

that press conference was such a loving clown show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BZ8ck_7cqk

this is the president

The infamous Jim Acosta karate chop press conference.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in 2017 new jersey started adding a blue line to their centerline pavement markings

as a "blue lives matter" thing. this was of course illegal

"The police are dividing our neighbourhood"?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

AgentF posted:

"The police are dividing our neighbourhood"?

lmao

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

oh, i had to explain to my wife what pizzagate is and what jeffry epstein and acosta got up to back in the day lol. that was a fun 10 minutes i got to spend yesterday telling my very normal lib wife about a chud with a gun being on the right page but way off the mark

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

oh, i had to explain to my wife what pizzagate is and what jeffry epstein and acosta got up to back in the day lol. that was a fun 10 minutes i got to spend yesterday telling my very normal lib wife about a chud with a gun being on the right page but way off the mark
Rich people are sick degenerates shouldn’t take that long to explain

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

And then she only rode the train for like one stop :sad:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

Yeah dude may have been crazy but someone who hears that children are being abused and actually does something has a lot more integrity than someone who just shitposts about it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Does anyone have King Ralph, the rat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt35BYEOlEw
HE'S BAAAAAAACK :siren:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Tunicate posted:

Yeah dude may have been crazy but someone who hears that children are being abused and actually does something has a lot more integrity than someone who just shitposts about it.

he was armed, he did fire his gun, but he really, really, really believed there was a rape dungeon. he scared and scarred some folks absolutely and i dont know if a lawyer can advocate for jury nullification themselves, but the dude is a moron, but a moron with a heart of gold

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Eat This Glob posted:

he was armed, he did fire his gun, but he really, really, really believed there was a rape dungeon. he scared and scarred some folks absolutely and i dont know if a lawyer can advocate for jury nullification themselves, but the dude is a moron, but a moron with a heart of gold

if you're so dumb that random internet rumors drives you to firing an assault rifle in a crowded restaurant you're clearly too dangerous to be in public hth

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

if you're so dumb that random internet rumors drives you to firing an assault rifle in a crowded restaurant you're clearly too dangerous to be in public hth

probably, but I've lived my entire life in nh and ia and there are like 6 million people who live there. if you havent shot a gun in a pizzeria, you cant take part in the process. sorry

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:hmmyes:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
frankly most pizza shops outside of New York should be burned to the ground anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

frankly most pizza shops outside of New York should be burned to the ground anyway

i'd add that new haven can stay too but other than that, truth