Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Delthalaz posted:

wtf was the point of all that Dorne poo poo we endured anyway?

:nws: https://imgur.com/8XR1O1E :nws:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Delthalaz posted:

Tits, I guess

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
is jon ever going to suffer some consequence for you know, dying and being brought back

or are we just to think that in this world you can die and some rare people can bring you back to life with no ramifications ever

like what was the point of jon dying and coming back if there is not a single consequence to it. like at least say he cant have kids now, or he will only live another 5 or 10 more years, orsomething. but no it will never be mentioned again and only happened for an end of season cliffhanger. i mean i know it happened to beric a bunch of times, but in the books im pretty sure he's all hosed up from coming back over and over at least

there is so much dumb poo poo in this show and the novels

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
It's book stuff they didn't completely cut out because they had no idea where they were going.

Honestly the show would probably be much less of a trainwreck if they'd knew in advance what elements they wouldn't need. It wouldn't have been good, but probably more consistent.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

:hmmyes:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'd bet $$$ they assumed book 6 would be done and book 7 would be done or done enough that they knew what was going on.

No way HBO signs onto a series like this with no idea where it is headed. Four books were done and a fifth was nearing completion when the series started. gurm probably intended on keeping with it. Had he done so book 6 would have been done a few years ago and these last two seasons would have made more sense.

Instead we got poo poo in our eye.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Part of the deal with HBO was GRRM had to tell them the ending.

Hence 4 seasons based on well executed and meticulously edited books and 4 seasons based on scribblings on a cocktail napkin.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

there's an exact moment the episode goes to poo poo. Sansa and Tyrion unexpectedly have perfect closure to both of their stories, have a moment, the music starts... And instead of a desperate attempt to fight and save others and dying in the crypts, they... kinda hide and suddenly no one is dying.

yeah that moment was dumb as hell. like, it could not have been more dumb. she whips out the dagger so you expect either they suicide pact, or are about to suicide then the wights suddenly die saving them, or one of them grabs it and tries to fight. but no tyrion like...sneaks away and starts hiding with other people for a minute leaving sansa behind cause... i dont know why? the hell was that dumb attempt at a "moment" god it's so stupid how did that make it into the show lmao these are supposed to be professional tv people it's seriously incredible

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Totally. Somewhere along the line writers started sacrificing narrative structure and story-telling for spectacle. The result is pretty stinking shallow.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Tythas posted:

they could of held them back until the zombies were at the wall and swarming it and have the Dothraki come around the castle from the other side for a flanl

That's what the dragons were supposed to do but couldn't because of the magic fog.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Damo posted:

is jon ever going to suffer some consequence for you know, dying and being brought back

or are we just to think that in this world you can die and some rare people can bring you back to life with no ramifications ever

like what was the point of jon dying and coming back if there is not a single consequence to it. like at least say he cant have kids now, or he will only live another 5 or 10 more years, orsomething. but no it will never be mentioned again and only happened for an end of season cliffhanger. i mean i know it happened to beric a bunch of times, but in the books im pretty sure he's all hosed up from coming back over and over at least

there is so much dumb poo poo in this show and the novels

Its heavily implied that being resurrected gives them some mega-PTSD. That each time they return, a little more of who they are is gone. But since the show has zero nuance, Beric is just grumpy and Jon scowls a bit more now.

Woden
May 6, 2006

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

there's an exact moment the episode goes to poo poo. Sansa and Tyrion unexpectedly have perfect closure to both of their stories, have a moment, the music starts... And instead of a desperate attempt to fight and save others and dying in the crypts, they... kinda hide and suddenly no one is dying.

Tyrion is in the crypts because Dany wants his brain for the Cersi fight, he needs to live. Heck Sansa even told him not to leave the crypt earlier because he'd just die or whatever.

Bronn will probably gank him next episode anyway.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
There are at least three main characters whos dicks have been cut off in this show.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Bronn is totally chilling in loving Braavos or Lys or anywhere but on the continent with that loving family.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
RIP Melisandre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2gI9xh-ufs

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Are we ever going to see Tyrian full frontal hang dong ? I’m hoping that’s in the final episode

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
We need a runoff series with Sir Davos The Onion Knight doing things like Deadpool breaking the 4th wall.

Davos: Oh hello there!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Like, the "blue eyes" thing was obvious and dumb enough that it was clear Arya would show up and maybe kill a few of the Walkers, but nope she single-handedly one-shots the Night King lmao

She, like Melisandre is a favored pawn of the gods. Hers just happens to be the God of Death. So it kinda makes sense. Cersei has green eyes, so she'll be next unless there is some gently caress you moment and Arya gets stepped on by a giant.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

cersei is a real jerk!!

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Jon Snow has been setup as the savior against the White Walkers for the past 8 years and then has literally zero significance in the final battle. He's spent the whole series training and fighting as a leader and warrior against the dead. He even faced death and came out the victor. What was the whole point of his death and resurrection then? He did nothing in the battle at all! The end result would have been identical if he wasn't there. Why did Melisandre bring him back to life? If you accept the Lord of Light as "real" in Westeros, for what reason did he grant her the power to bring Jon back? He did even less than The Hound or Beric to save Arya, the hilariously silly chosen one. I just feel like the show runners have a hard-on for SHOCKING TWISTS, so they had Arya kill the Night King... but there's such thing as plot arcs and satisfying resolutions of several years of build-up. A twist is pointless if it's just to show a fan favorite character is suddenly the ultimate badass. Besides, no one knows as much about the Night King and the WW as Jon and Sam, so why were they so worthless here????

I remember the first 4 seasons of the show when there was actual consistency to the setting, character motivations, and plotting most of the time. That's so far gone now and it's pretty sad.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Apr 30, 2019

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It'd be tough to flank in this position:

I have to assume the triangles are Dothraki and the circles are Unsullied

I'm the guy who whittled and painted the shitload of pointless zombie tokens

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't know why they're so scared to kill off major characters. Brienne, Gendry, and Grey Worm living is honestly bullshit. What is the loving point?

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

Big Dick Cheney posted:

cersei is a real jerk!!

my recollection of Dorne’s significance:

-A bunch of bullshit culminating in the mountain killing the dude trying to avenge his sister, so ultimately no significance there

-boobs and super-assassin ladies try to kill Bronn for no reason

- Dorne kills one of Cersei’s kids because that’s how they roll

-Dr. Bashir dies like a bitch after mostly looking depressed and constipated for all of his screen time

- Dorne sides with Daenerys and is defeated off screen and its queen (maybe) and princess are tortured to death.

-Nobody gives a gently caress or ever thinks of trying to ransom the Dorne queen, then presumably still alive and staring at her dead daughters corpse, during the super consequential zombie crate conference

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I wonder how long after Cersei dies Dany thinks to check the holding cells and find the sand snake mom watching those bomb titties rot

Kak
Sep 27, 2002
i'm going to write a blog about how they sent all of the brown people to die first.

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Damo posted:

yeah that moment was dumb as hell. like, it could not have been more dumb. she whips out the dagger so you expect either they suicide pact, or are about to suicide then the wights suddenly die saving them, or one of them grabs it and tries to fight. but no tyrion like...sneaks away and starts hiding with other people for a minute leaving sansa behind cause... i dont know why? the hell was that dumb attempt at a "moment" god it's so stupid how did that make it into the show lmao these are supposed to be professional tv people it's seriously incredible

The thing you have to keep in mind is that got's main audience is full of people tweeting their favorite OMG OMG OMG moment and not internet nerds with sadbrains that pick apart everything and anything that tries to have a little fun.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Just imagine if GRRM hadn't written the Red Wedding, how bad it would have been done.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
follow dumbfuck yass kween to the rear end end of the world only to have it end it like that. what a rotten deal.

Kak posted:

i'm going to write a blog about how they sent all of the brown people to die first.

haha

https://twitter.com/ZakKondratenko/status/1122990853256024065?s=20

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
podrick should have been the one jumping out of the darkness and killing the night king. better watch out cersei

e: they could even have given him one more song to sing right after stabbing the night king

Those who died are justified, for wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites
You justify those that died by wearing the badge, they're the chosen whites
Uggh!

Killing in the name of
Killing in the name of

gimme a call hbo

datajugend fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 30, 2019

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock

Kurt Loadeater posted:

The thing you have to keep in mind is that got's main audience is full of people tweeting their favorite OMG OMG OMG moment and not internet nerds with sadbrains that pick apart everything and anything that tries to have a little fun.

how was that moment fun or omg

i mean i get what you are saying for things like dragon dogfights and spectacles like that but how was the scene i described in any way a tweetable omg moment

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

follow dumbfuck yass kween to the rear end end of the world only to have it end it like that. what a rotten deal.

haha

https://twitter.com/ZakKondratenko/status/1122990853256024065?s=20

That wasn't all of the dothraki in the world was it? Wasn't it just the ones who were stupid enough to follow Danny after Drogo died?

Kurt Loadeater
May 15, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's your opinion, yet people are tweeting, writing articles about, and generating theories over that specific scene. It appears to be enjoyable for them.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

datajugend posted:

podrick should have been the one jumping out of the darkness and killing the night king. better watch out cersei

e: they could even have given him one more song to sing right after stabbing the night king

Uggh!

Killing in the name of
Killing in the name of

gimme a call hbo

uggh indeed

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CDWPD/status/1122906153720209415?s=20

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Randarkman posted:

That wasn't all of the dothraki in the world was it? Wasn't it just the ones who were stupid enough to follow Danny after Drogo died?

yah and their children will grow up with bedtime stories about the khalasar that followed a white lady across the bitter water and got eaten by ice zombies

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Randarkman posted:

Naw, most of them died on the way to Qarth. She went back later and started a big yurt fire, and get a bunch of new ones.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

datajugend posted:

Podrick and Gendry look so god drat similar its annoying.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Remember how all that burning was justified because Dany is a Progressive(tm) who'll take good care of her people?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

*hbo wargs into my brain*

bad show
badshow
badsho
basho

thats my new name, basho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also seems to me like the night king was really stupid. If he had decided not to do stuff on the frontlines defeat would have been almost literally impossible and his forces would have taken effectively zero casualties as they show that he can just raise everyone again if he wants to.

I guess killing Bran might have been important for some reason, but gently caress, one of his Walker friends could have done that, the zombies could have done that.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 30, 2019