Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Posting my resume that I've had much luck with. Maybe this will help out previous posters:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yIQfbcPgibtzRmaxIkJaJXBUuCaXvCAC/view?usp=sharing

Any my cover letter:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZIImRDpP0GRR8T00kZQpSVZaRapaFFof/view?usp=sharing

Couple hard, fast rules I follow when updating my resume

1. Hierarchy is always: skills > experience > personal projects > education
2. Don't create a new line if that line only has one word on it.
3. Tools/Languages/etc that appear in the bullet points of the "Work Experience" section should also make an appearance in the "Skills" section
4. Have some metrics in your "Work Experience" bullet points. Revenue, time saved, stuff like that
5. Don't put down every single skill you know. Just put down the ones that are relevant for roles which you're applying. Nobody probably cares that you know Windows Vista
6. Always call yourself an "Engineer." Developers make less than Engineers :shrug:

YMMV

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Grump posted:

Posting my resume that I've had much luck with. Maybe this will help out previous posters:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yIQfbcPgibtzRmaxIkJaJXBUuCaXvCAC/view?usp=sharing

Any my cover letter:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZIImRDpP0GRR8T00kZQpSVZaRapaFFof/view?usp=sharing

3. Tools/Languages/etc that appear in the bullet points of the "Work Experience" section should also make an appearance in the "Skills" section
4. Have some metrics in your "Work Experience" bullet points. Revenue, time saved, stuff like that
5. Don't put down every single skill you know. Just put down the ones that are relevant for roles which you're applying. Nobody probably cares that you know Windows Vista
6. Always call yourself an "Engineer." Developers make less than Engineers :shrug:

YMMV

CV looks good, although I'm not a web dev guy. Change "primary in React and TypeScript" -> "primarily in React and TypeScript" though.

One thing that would make it stand out if you could highlight anything which you had sole responsibility for. I'm sure you were the main person working on lots of your bullet points, but make sure whoever is reading the CV knows that!

e: I didn't read your cover letter and I doubt anyone who gets your CV will either.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 28, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Grump posted:

I just tried to adapt most of your advice above into my new resume. I even put the skills list at the top, but I'm not sure how well it works since mine is very academic oriented. I also just made it. I haven't gotten any feedback yet. Help?

e: redacted

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 22, 2020

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I'm not a fan of skills on top, it's best as a place to reiterate and dump keywords. Try experience, papers, education, skills. No objective.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
By far the most exciting thing about your resume to me is the tiny-graphics.js library. That is very cool! Computer vision is also a hot area, and work at Google or similar looks like a real possibility for you.

Some of the info on your resume makes it look like you want an academic position. Obviously it's great that your students like you, but from an industry hiring perspective that isn't very important to me. Instead I want to see more on what you've built using your listed skills. That doesn't need to be code you can share, but there should be at least one bullet point clearly showing a skill being applied. Did you do computer vision development in C++? Or did you just take a class? As written, I just can't tell.

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
The use of different fonts and random small caps is weird. Also yeah I'd get rid of the objective

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
How did you spend 8 years in grad school without publishing any papers?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Is neither thesis relevant? You spent 8 years on them so I'd expect more than a single line giving the name for each. Your objective is going to turn away a lot of people. It focuses on what you want out of the job, which isn't what the person reading your resume cares about. The first sentence in particular sounds like you want to take a bunch of knowledge and go back to academia.

If you measured the impact of your library on students then you should give the measurements that prove it improved quality and better understanding. Your bullet points in general lack specific details and you should add bullets for the two internships as the work. Also, completely agree that skills should go last if you even want it on the resume to begin with. Every single skill that is even remotely relevant should find a place within a bullet point as usage of the skill is the part that matters.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I just tried to adapt most of your advice above into my new resume. I even put the skills list at the top, but I'm not sure how well it works since mine is very academic oriented. I also just made it. I haven't gotten any feedback yet. Help?

Echoing what others have said and gonna tell you to lose the summary. Employers know why you want a job - you don't need to tell them in the resume. I would also abstract out the tiny-graphics.js part into its own section. Maybe title a new section called "Projects and Papers" and lump the two together. Also, the skills you listed don't appear anywhere else in the bullet points. Make more of an effort to elaborate on how you've used C++, Git, etc.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Nippashish posted:

How did you spend 8 years in grad school without publishing any papers?

It happens. Welcome to the nightmare that is grad school. Lots of people spend their time there spinning their wheels against the wrong project, the wrong labmates, a hands-off advisor, and so on.

Pie Colony posted:

The use of different fonts and random small caps is weird.

Could you help me find where that is / what specifically to look for? It's a LaTeX template so I don't think it's an actual different font

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Okay, I'm going to remove that first paragraph and re-name the section to "Projects and Papers".

My intent for that first paragraph was to tell the company, "here is what I need, let me know if you even have a position open for this." On second thought the resume is not the proper time to introduce that information. At many places the recruiter simply will not know. I'll move that bit into custom questions sent when I ask about a job.

asur posted:

Is neither thesis relevant? You spent 8 years on them so I'd expect more than a single line giving the name for each.

The PhD thesis *is* tiny-graphics, it turns out. Not sure how to clarify that on there without it getting repetitive. The thesis described that project and its potential for supporting an online programming community.

asur posted:

If you measured the impact of your library on students then you should give the measurements that prove it improved quality and better understanding.

Is the next pair of sentences not exactly what you're looking for, or were you picturing something else?

Also, I'll try to work the skills list into context in the descriptive paragraphs.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

My intent for that first paragraph was to tell the company, "here is what I need, let me know if you even have a position open for this." On second thought the resume is not the proper time to introduce that information. At many places the recruiter simply will not know. I'll move that bit into custom questions sent when I ask about a job.

That’s what a cover letter is for. You should always be writing cover letters. For all the people I’ve interviewed, I’ve read their cover letters, despite previous opinions on this page.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Do you all think I should discard this line from it?

quote:

Earned median scores of 9 and average scores above 8 (max 9.0 scale) for ALL questions on latest student evaluation.

edit: Also, nobody is going to actually look for my GitHub until the interview right? I didn't link to it for a reason. For the moment, the master branch is far out of date of the others, and is very, very badly formatted.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 29, 2019

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

edit: Also, nobody is going to actually look for my GitHub until the interview right? I didn't link to it for a reason. For the moment, the master branch is far out of date of the others, and is very, very badly formatted.

I think it's a fine metric - I wouldn't overthink it.

As for people checking GitHub, there's no real answer to that. Sometimes interviewers check it, other times they don't. When I had my interview for my current position, they actually had my code pulled up on-screen when I walked into the room and asked me to explain how it worked.

If there's something you think is worth showing, I would recommend buying hosting and getting that online because the chances of an interviewer pulling down your code and running it is slim.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Depends on the hiring company's process and where in it you are. If it's the resume screen phase, then no, nobody is going to google you or chase down links in your resume. They're going to spend 15-30 seconds skimming your resume and then get to the next one in the stack. That's why you need to front load with what you've actually built. However, if I'm about to do a first technical phone screen, I absolutely will spend up to around 15 minutes on the resume and possibly do some searching if it lists open source contributions.

The thing to understand is that hiring is a deductive process. Even in a labor friendly market like the one we're in, there are many applicants for each position. And so you really want to your resume to put the impressive stuff you've accomplished front and center, otherwise, regardless of the fact that you may well be a superlative employee, your resume is going to get binned.

Edit: Don't forget that the interview process is actually symmetrical. Be sure and ask questions yourself to understand if you actually want to work for the company in question. Not only that, but the questions they ask you are data points that can contribute to that decision. That said, you may decide that the benefits of building work experience justify accepting a position at a company that may not be all that great. When I got my first job, every job required 3+ years of industry experience and I had none, so I took what I could get.

User fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 29, 2019

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Dumb Lowtax posted:

If you mention that it's an important accomplishment of yours and that it's on GitHub I'm gonna absolutely look for it if the rest of your resume lines up with what we're looking for.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I would still move education to the bottom, and I would expand on your internships, at least a little. Less room dedicated to Objective means more room dedicated to your accomplishments, like some impressive information about your phd dissertation or your masters thesis. You're right that a PHD from UCLA is impressive and is an important component of your value, but every vertical inch of your resume should be impressive outside the context of everything else, and nobody *likes* seeing that education title near the top just because of how abused it frequently is on worse resumes.

Pope Hilarius
May 3, 2007

Anyone have any pointers for punching up my resume for tech? Is all of the non-tech stuff a big red flag? Maybe I should think of more bullet points for my app.

I'm considering the bootcamp route, but I'd prefer to just get started in iOS if I could find a job that matches my experience. What are my chances?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Okay, I'm going to remove that first paragraph and re-name the section to "Projects and Papers".

The PhD thesis *is* tiny-graphics, it turns out. Not sure how to clarify that on there without it getting repetitive. The thesis described that project and its potential for supporting an online programming community.

This makes it even more confusing to me. You go your PHD in 2018 so why is tiny-graphics under a 2019 - current position.

quote:

Is the next pair of sentences not exactly what you're looking for, or were you picturing something else?

Also, I'll try to work the skills list into context in the descriptive paragraphs.

There's an implication that the improved quality and better understanding was measured. If the only measurement is the anonymous rating, then I'd either fold the sentence in or remove it. In general

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Okay I believe I addressed everyone's suggestions. I got rid of my opening paragraph about wants/needs, expounded on my web project and internships, and moved education and skills to the bottom. The whole document looks a lot more text dense now, which I'm not sure is OK. How do you like it?

e: redacted

Pope Hilarius posted:

Is all of the non-tech stuff a big red flag?

You've got multiple big sections about hobbies, and the rest is scattered in between those sections and easy to miss. Hobbies might make you more appealing to personally work with, but consider that larger employers will use recruiters who likely haven't even met the guys you'll work with, much less care about personality match. Instead they're probably only looking for certain information and this would all be white noise to them distracting from the accomplishments that would interest them.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 22, 2020

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
I'm trying to transition to CS from a social science background, and am having a lot of trouble figuring out what to put on my resume/what to present. A big part of the issue is that most of the programming I've done outside of coursework is in R/Python, and my experience is mostly social science research/statistical programming. I want to get an internship doing some kind of software engineering, and don't really have a strong preference for front v backend etc.

I'm definitely going to work on a project I can add as an example of a significant project in C/C++ over the summer, or maybe JS. Do y'all have other critiques/advice?

1. How should I present the education section? I've been leading with it, in part because I'm still a student and most of my peers resumes I've seen do the same, but also because the department has a v good reputation and the BS/MS are probably the most clearly CS, not just data analytics thing on my resume. It sounds like that may not be the move? I'm also doing a weird thing, where I'm getting a dual BA and BS, as well as an MS, and all three are going to be conferred at the same time. I'd imagine that the BA in Gender Studies probably isn't going to be the #1 draw there, and I'm sure having all three there is probably confusing. Any thoughts on how I should organize those?

2. Should I cut some more of the less technical experience? The 2nd in the sociology department did involve a good bit of working with weird API's/databases in R & Python, but that wasn't the main focus.

3. I've listed the languages that I've either used a lot for work (R and Python), or taken at least 2 or 3 semesters in and would feel comfortable using in a workplace (i.e. C/C++, although I'd rather not use that much C...). Not sure if 'familiar with' represents that or not though. Should I add Node.js and D3 into the skills section as well as the bullet points? I thought they might just fall under JS but looking at other resumes that seems wrong.

At the moment I'm getting way more responses from researcher/data analyst roles, which makes sense given my background, but I'd like to do dev stuff, and get my resume in a place where I can be more competitive for that as well.

e: Also not sure if it's just me, but for some reason the image looks a lot crisper in its own tab than on the forum - not sure what's up with that.

e2: Also not really sold on my coursework section... I don't know if I'm actually getting across that much with it.

foutre fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 30, 2019

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Pope Hilarius posted:

Anyone have any pointers for punching up my resume for tech? Is all of the non-tech stuff a big red flag? Maybe I should think of more bullet points for my app.

I'm considering the bootcamp route, but I'd prefer to just get started in iOS if I could find a job that matches my experience. What are my chances?

I think your experience is strong for entry-level and better than other recent grads. I don't know your area or market, but I don't know that a boot camp would help here. The question is whether the app you founded can be googled and used by hiring manager, and whether that will reflect well on you. If so, you're good.

I would ask yourself whether the non-tech stuff can be replaced with something that would be more impressive. They're wasted vertical inches, but whitespace looks really bad and you're just starting out. Every vertical inch needs to be used to convey how impressive you are, so consider whether that space could be better used.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Have you thought about data science? Your skill set and experience are better aligned with that career path than plain vanilla software engineering.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

foutre posted:

I'm trying to transition to CS from a social science background, and am having a lot of trouble figuring out what to put on my resume/what to present. A big part of the issue is that most of the programming I've done outside of coursework is in R/Python, and my experience is mostly social science research/statistical programming. I want to get an internship doing some kind of software engineering, and don't really have a strong preference for front v backend etc.

If you don't want to do data science, you need to stop talking about data science so much. Remove selected coursework, remove the experienced/familiar dichotomy from skills, and move R to the end. Eliminate the first two skills bullets and replace them with popular infra/systems tech you've worked with, if any. When you interacted with databases, what databases were they, etc. Additionally, are you a MS student who's getting a side job, or are you a software engineer who goes to school on the side. If you want to be the latter, you need to present yourself that way. Don't call yourself a student, just tell people you're working on your master's. Move education to the bottom, etc. It's all a matter of focus.

EDIT: Also as above poster says, data science is a fine career path, if you have the educational background for it, it can be quite lucrative and satisfying. Curious why you're leaning away from it.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

30.5 Days posted:

If you don't want to do data science, you need to stop talking about data science so much. Remove selected coursework, remove the experienced/familiar dichotomy from skills, and move R to the end. Eliminate the first two skills bullets and replace them with popular infra/systems tech you've worked with, if any. When you interacted with databases, what databases were they, etc. Additionally, are you a MS student who's getting a side job, or are you a software engineer who goes to school on the side. If you want to be the latter, you need to present yourself that way. Don't call yourself a student, just tell people you're working on your master's. Move education to the bottom, etc. It's all a matter of focus.

EDIT: Also as above poster says, data science is a fine career path, if you have the educational background for it, it can be quite lucrative and satisfying. Curious why you're leaning away from it.

Very good points re: the focus, ty. I think I'll take it back to the drawing board some, and definitely add the infra/systems stuff. This is (clearly not well) adapted from my data science resume, which is most of what I've focused on in the past.

ultrafilter posted:

Have you thought about data science? Your skill set and experience are better aligned with that career path than plain vanilla software engineering.

I have thought about data science -- it's definitely interesting. I actually initially went into the MS thinking I would mostly focus on it, but I've really liked some of the more general CS/HCI stuff I've done and want to see what regular software engineering is like as well, and try it out.

I'm also somewhat concerned that not having a PhD/only having a medium amount of grad-level Statistics could be more of an issue down the line for progressing in data science vs. regular software engineering. I'm not sure to what extent that's actually the case though, it very much could just be that a lot of the people I know who do DS are doing PhDs/have much stronger stats backgrounds than myself and that's skewed my perspective.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

If you're going to put a phone number on your resume, make a Google Voice number and forward it to your phone for the duration of your job search. Then, when you're done and feeling secure in your new position, you can just memory-hole it and cold-call recruiters won't have it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

foutre posted:

I'm also somewhat concerned that not having a PhD/only having a medium amount of grad-level Statistics could be more of an issue down the line for progressing in data science vs. regular software engineering. I'm not sure to what extent that's actually the case though, it very much could just be that a lot of the people I know who do DS are doing PhDs/have much stronger stats backgrounds than myself and that's skewed my perspective.
I'm a data scientist, at least by title, and I did my graduate work in the humanities and while I do have a solid math background, much of it is from my undergrad years (my grad years did have math, for what it's worth), I don't really think it's necessary to have a PhD/a stronger stats background than you do. You're overestimating the amount of original, interesting work you'll do, as are any employer who assumes they need to hire a PhD.

CAVEAT: because my company is short-handed and has a dysfunctional product, I am primarily a software engineer, which is how I think most "solo data scientist" roles at small companies go, from what I am familiar with. But I do most of the data work, and do have the opportunity to do analysis and such occasionally. My resume has that poo poo on there but I should probably remove it since I'm wary of going into a similar data scientist role -- it turns out that if the organization slots you into engineering and can't/won't give you the time/leeway to work with other teams, you can't really do much! But also, I just prefer software and data engineering to being a data analyst or machine learning specialist, and being able to talk the talk to the data scientists is a pretty valuable skill, I think.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
Just got the news that my company is letting me go full time remote. Moving back to my home town which is basically a 20% raise in itself and where I can actually afford a house.

Beyond stoked, this is still my first real dev job, really glad its able to transition me to work remotely for a while.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

ddiddles posted:

Just got the news that my company is letting me go

Oh no!!!

quote:

full time remote.

Oh hey congrats man.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ddiddles posted:

Just got the news that my company is letting me go full time remote. Moving back to my home town which is basically a 20% raise in itself and where I can actually afford a house.

Beyond stoked, this is still my first real dev job, really glad its able to transition me to work remotely for a while.

How, uh, how did you manage that? And how will your responsibilities change as a result of going remote? Getting stuff done, communicating, advancement, etc.?

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I

Pollyanna posted:

How, uh, how did you manage that? And how will your responsibilities change as a result of going remote? Getting stuff done, communicating, advancement, etc.?

My day to day will stay the same, just changing where I turn on my laptop basically.

I told my boss I liked working for the company, but didn't like living where it was located, and if they wanted to keep me around I'd need to go fully remote and they went for it.

Might help that I run the front end for a large new market they are trying to get into.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Update on the whole visual programming language thing: It turns out our in-house cloud integration/deployment thing works out of the box with Node. The cloud integration tool is actually pretty good from what I can tell, and I was able to build a proof of concept for the work I've been doing using Node instead of the visual language and get it deployed. Showed it to my supervisor and he was totally down for it. I like Node.js so I'm pretty happy about this overall :woop:

The downsides are that the overall work process is still very confusing. Basically there's an agile team that helps maintain Salesforce, and we're part of that team and do any of the more developer-heavy work. But my supervisor and I also have a whole 'nother host of responsibilities, and those don't seem to be captured in any kind of process whatsoever. From my limited perspective, it just seems that requests come in and we work on them as priorities and availability allow. No product owner, no cards/stories, no sprints, nothing. Luckily he's keeping me pretty silo'd from it all and just doles out tasks here and there, but it still seems like an absolutely insane way to manage things, and I'm sure it'll start impacting me eventually. Oh well :shrug:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Aaaaaand apparently we got a ton of backlash and they're forcing us to dogfood our own products. gently caress this.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Dogfood?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Use in-house.

as in "we're so confident in the quality of our dogfood, we eat it ourselves"

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
A lot of the larger employers in Los Angeles use IBM for their application system and I'm going to gripe about it now. It doesn't work at all. You can't save or submit the information you input. I'm not sure what the form is supposed to do as it lacks basic functionality. Does anyone want to spend a few minutes submitting a fake application here? It'd be great to see if this is a problem because I'm a Mac/Safari user.

https://careers.warnermediagroup.co...tails=824380_36

Edit: I figured it out. It didn't like me copy pastaing my job history but didn't say so. What a terrible system.

MickeyFinn fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 8, 2019

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
I sometimes wonder if anyone has actually gotten a job through these massive, corporate, applicant tracking systems.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

qsvui posted:

I sometimes wonder if anyone has actually gotten a job through these massive, corporate, applicant tracking systems.

I think I got my first position that way...
8 months after I applied and they later found my resume upon searching their system.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I've gotten a few automated rejection emails from them, which is better than literally nothing I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

qsvui posted:

A few months back I got a response from an HR person at a pretty large company with a "click here to schedule a phone screen." I did and when the dude called me he was like "hey, so you were set up with me, but looking at your resume you aren't going to be coming to Alabama, this was a mistake, I'll tell so-and-so." A day later I get a new link to a calendar that is 100% full (or just broken?). The address the email came from was set to bounce back emails and the email itself contained no identifying information with which I could contact the person. For the next two weeks I got a few spam messages from the company asking if I was interested but there was nothing I could do to express that interest.

Anyway, all recruiting is a dumpster fire I wish I could avoid.