Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Hodgepodge posted:

There is absolutely no way his plan to challenge a foe he isn't ready for will result in his participation in the tournament which was conveniently mentioned.

Which could not possibly have a game-like structure which allows his friends to be relevant!

This reminds me of a quote from a few chapters ago (I think it was Evan?) where he said that after living for millennia, a lot of rankers revert to a childlike mindset in one way or another. Games, competitions, whims, etc are all a lot of these old fogeys have to live for because they hit the Jahad wall climbing the Tower and had to settle for a place in the current system.

Which also conveniently explains why there are sooooo many out there champing at the bit for anything super exciting to happen. Something Baam is pretty darn good at!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

if there is a tournament involving baam I hope he gets to just completely breeze through it

two years of personal training from evankhell surely gets a guy at least one easy mode arc

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It makes sense that a bunch of immortals would eventually grow bored with their lives and invent games with restrictions on themselves to play around with. I think there was actually another Eastern comic book with the same premise, but I can't remember it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Dante80 posted:

One of the biggest missing imo though is that one of the pillars of the Isekai genre is having the transported agent deal with the new world while relying in the experiences and the psyche that he had in the previous world. The previous world and how it has shaped the character informs his actions and the genre is partly built on the juxtaposition between the two worlds. Take for example Zipang, where the Japanese Navy people have to deal with their own ancestors, or Now and then, here and there where a spirited Kendo practicing teen is transported to a future post-apocalyptic hell-hole.

This isn't really nearly universal, or at least enough to be a "pillar." With modern isekai WNs, the only ones where the "previous life" even seems to matter are ones that involve introducing modern Earth technology/food. Ones that don't involve this could often just substitute the protagonist with "a person with amnesia" or something and it wouldn't really make a difference.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 218 days!

Gologle posted:

It makes sense that a bunch of immortals would eventually grow bored with their lives and invent games with restrictions on themselves to play around with. I think there was actually another Eastern comic book with the same premise, but I can't remember it.

Except in this case, they have enough power to use other people as proxies.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So was the whole "Becoming a ranker grants you eternal youth" thing mentioned before? Since Baam mentions that the old martial arts master has only grown so ancient because he refused to become a ranker and so get that.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Eopia posted:

So was the whole "Becoming a ranker grants you eternal youth" thing mentioned before? Since Baam mentions that the old martial arts master has only grown so ancient because he refused to become a ranker and so get that.

It has been mentioned in the past.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's been mentioned a couple times in comic, and talked about in side materials too. The higher you go in the tower, the longer you live as a regular. The tower will support you for hundreds upon hundreds of years. But only by reaching the 'end' can you live forever.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

There is absolutely no way his plan to challenge a foe he isn't ready for will result in his participation in the tournament which was conveniently mentioned.

Which could not possibly have a game-like structure which allows his friends to be relevant!

In a shocking twist instead of a tournament or death game. Yama challenges everyone to a game of Settlers of Catan with no expansions and no strings attached.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Brought To You By posted:

In a shocking twist instead of a tournament or death game. Yama challenges everyone to a game of Settlers of Catan with no expansions and no strings attached.

Just as long as he doesn't get out Diplomacy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Hope we find out yamas rank soon

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I assume he's like at the bottom rung of high rankers. We know Karaka is the baby slayer and isn't a high tanker yet, but climbing fast enough to make it a forthcoming certainty. Yama is right above him so I imagine that's his place.

And I think we're also sort of concluding that to be a slayer there's got to be something special about you. White can logically get infinitely more powerful so long as there are souls to eat, Karaka has his weird disposable bod, phylactery having situation, and Yama is the only person capable of perfect transformation for his special bloodline. Folks like Jinsung are more powerful, but lack a special avenue of growth to be a slayer.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 30, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Maschenny is top 100 as is Jinsung so if Yama is needed to help get him back he's got to be at least that if not higher

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
The implication of this whole arc is that Yama is strong enough to help them deal with Kallavan, right? Seems like he’s must be a pretty high rank.

Is Yama more powerful than Evankhell? Or is she not helping with the rescue operation and only stuck around to train Baam in a whim?

Silynt fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 30, 2019

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

I wonder if SIU has the entire top 100 thought out. I guess it's mostly 10 family members, slayers, and oddballs like Evankhell.

Also there is the likelihood that Yuri is involved if they need pure muscle. Not to mention breaking out Jinsung is breaking out Jinsung. He had Kallavan beat if he aimed up a bit more. You don't have find someone stronger than Kallavan, he's already there. Just imagine the teacher student triple team combo attack.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 30, 2019

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I wonder if SIU has the entire top 100 thought out. I guess it's mostly 10 family members, slayers, and oddballs like Evankhell.

Also there is the likelihood that Yuri is involved if they need pure muscle. Not to mention breaking out Jinsung is breaking out Jinsung. He had Kallavan beat if he aimed up a bit more. You don't have to be stronger than Kallavan, he's already there. Just imagine the teacher student triple team combo attack.

Back when the chapters were still getting fan translations, they would occasionally post translations of his blog posts describing the top 15 or so rankers. It’s possible that he has posted deeper down the rankings and they haven’t been translated. Or maybe they have been translated and I just have stopped bothering to find out where.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Silynt posted:

Back when the chapters were still getting fan translations, they would occasionally post translations of his blog posts describing the top 15 or so rankers. It’s possible that he has posted deeper down the rankings and they haven’t been translated. Or maybe they have been translated and I just have stopped bothering to find out where.

Yeah, I know the top 15. It was also missing a couple of family heads so we know a couple more in the top 20 . But the area we're dealing with is the bottom half of that top 100.

I don't think there's any more. All of SIU's blog posts are translated which is where this comes from.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 30, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Baek Ryun is the most unusual ranker we've yet to see considering his rank, being from the tower and not from the 10 families

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jose posted:

Baek Ryun is the most unusual ranker we've yet to see considering his rank, being from the tower and not from the 10 families

He's Urek's #2 and the functional leader of Wolhaiksong. Puts him on the same level as the FUG leader Luslec.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Ytlaya posted:

This isn't really nearly universal, or at least enough to be a "pillar." With modern isekai WNs, the only ones where the "previous life" even seems to matter are ones that involve introducing modern Earth technology/food. Ones that don't involve this could often just substitute the protagonist with "a person with amnesia" or something and it wouldn't really make a difference.

Don't really know man. I always associated isekai with that, but now that I think about it, you do have a point, at least as far as the more modern stuff is concerned.

Isn't it weird that Khun apparently made a mistake when addressing the two puppies? Judging by their reaction in the next panel, they might have done the old switcheroo for one reason or the other.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

New one up: https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-8/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=426

Baam really digging into that suicide by Slayer plan.

Also a surprise cliffhanger appearance from someone we haven't seen in a loving decade. What the hell.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Baam loving owns

I have no idea who that is at the end.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sindai posted:

Baam loving owns

I have no idea who that is at the end.

Akryung. The guy who merc'd the entire second floor so Rachel could progress thanks to Headon. Further given away by Headon obviously being in league with FUG and those two beside him being the two FUG agents who betrayed Khun for Rachel. It's basically the Rachel Defense Squad.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 6, 2019

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Very convenient for Baam to have another tournament he can participate in that presumably he will bet w/ Yama on Deng-Deng's freedom.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nate RFB posted:

Very convenient for Baam to have another tournament he can participate in that presumably he will bet w/ Yama on Deng-Deng's freedom.

Less a Tourney and more of a race I think.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've definitely read the next chapter through the fast pass but now it's not available :thunk:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Two Tone Shoes posted:

New one up: https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-8/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=426

Baam really digging into that suicide by Slayer plan.

Also a surprise cliffhanger appearance from someone we haven't seen in a loving decade. What the hell.
You know it's coming, you know Baam is going to say it. And I'm still shouting at my monitor when he started talking to Yama.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Jose posted:

I've definitely read the next chapter through the fast pass but now it's not available :thunk:

It's 5 "coins" per ep for up to 3...? So did you read 2-3 ahead 1-2 weeks ago?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-9/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=427

Convenient tournament structures are the backbone of this universe.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

We're finally caught up to where I was and now I'm tempted to fast pass again

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Yama's Territory is the land of the Caged and the home of the Swole.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Get buff play ruff

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Jose posted:

We're finally caught up to where I was and now I'm tempted to fast pass again

It's 50 cents. Do it. Give in

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
If you fast pass, you'll just end up being 4 weeks behind, unless you keep fast passing.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I don’t think that math checks out.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Purple whirpool shinsu definitely looks very nice. Fantastic work from SIU on the graphics again.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Baam wins or dies... again
FUG is here to screw with their plans... again
The "game" is just whoever can press shinsu harder wins... again

Why can't at least the games have some interesting rules like they used to? The way it's now is just really boring.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What exactly is Baam's Regular rank these days? Do we even know?

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

P sure it’s by floors so C atm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

What exactly is Baam's Regular rank these days? Do we even know?

#1 C Class until he becomes B Class by climbing some more, in which case he'll be #1 B Class.